Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: ATF "White Paper" on firearms regulations (not what you may think)

I'll start by saying I haven't yet read the linked report.

However the ATF folks I've met haven't been bad, just gov't employees with a job. Some are pro gun, others not so. Bottom line is they are charged with regulating gun laws in a professional way, and this includes enforcing regulations as well as looking at the "big picture" on a number of issues.

Surpressors- Many countries with very strict laws are liberal when it comes to regulation/ownership of them. ATF people are not stupid and can see this. Politics aside, the NFA regs are very time consuming to administer. Liberalizing laws on these makes sense... but don't expect the fees to suddenly disappear.

Import Bans- also politics driven. Russia was banned from importing a lot of guns in the mid 90s over something they did during the Clinton administration. It has been politically expedient to keep the ban in place. Ditto for China, though perhaps with more justification since the Chinese were caught on several occasions doing things that were just plain criminal, not just technical violations. Same thing for banning a lot of milsups from a purely public safety issue. Antiques and militarily obsolete firearms are not, nor ever were threats to the safety of the average US person on the streets. (JFK in Dallas aside)

Ammo bans- When was the last time that AP ammo was used in a way that involved terrorism or criminal activity (compared to any other form of ammo)?... uhhh, like never as far as I know.

It is in the ATFE's best interest to have a single criteria of rules and standards to enforce. They know it. The hodge-podge system of rules, bans, executive orders and loopholes/exceptions is crazy and everybody knows it (except maybe the good folks in Congress).

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Cliffs notes to get you to read it: It suggests getting silencers out of the NFA, ending import bans, AP ammo, and other reforms . . .

. . . which ATF is possibly willing to entertain in exchange for being able to continue existing.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    . . . which ATF is possibly willing to entertain in exchange for being able to continue existing.

Noah
    That's what came to my mind. There have been some serious calls by washington legislators to abolish the ATF and give there duties to other Fed law enforcement agencies. I'm sure they heard that loud and clear.
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

(Bucks County)

which ATF is possibly willing to entertain in exchange for being able to continue existing

BINGO! Beat me to it. Reaches a point where the mission becomes secondary to survival.

(Berks County)

It all sounds good, but keep in mind that a white paper is really just information and can be opinion. I'm optimistic, but the mere existence of this document does not mean there are going to be changes. It just means that someone at ATF thinks there should be changes. The environment is right for positive changes though.

(York County)

Mr recently retired .gov friend was found of saying "bureaucracies are neither fast nor flexible minded".

I have no doubt that the research and writing of this paper has been in the works for some time.

If it would come to pass that ATFE were to be abolished as a separate agency under Dept. of Treasury, they'd merely exchange top echelon and rebrand the field agents (who do most of the real work anyway) under a new name still doing mostly the same job. At most you'd see FBI take over investigations and criminal prosecutions. (Which they might actually be the better agency to do anyway.)

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    I'll start by saying I haven't yet read the linked report.

However the ATF folks I've met haven't been bad, just gov't employees with a job. Some are pro gun, others not so. Bottom line is they are charged with regulating gun laws in a professional way, and this includes enforcing regulations as well as looking at the "big picture" on a number of issues.

Surpressors- Many countries with very strict laws are liberal when it comes to regulation/ownership of them. ATF people are not stupid and can see this. Politics aside, the NFA regs are very time consuming to administer. Liberalizing laws on these makes sense... but don't expect the fees to suddenly disappear.

Import Bans- also politics driven. Russia was banned from importing a lot of guns in the mid 90s over something they did during the Clinton administration. It has been politically expedient to keep the ban in place. Ditto for China, though perhaps with more justification since the Chinese were caught on several occasions doing things that were just plain criminal, not just technical violations. Same thing for banning a lot of milsups from a purely public safety issue. Antiques and militarily obsolete firearms are not, nor ever were threats to the safety of the average US person on the streets. (JFK in Dallas aside)

Ammo bans- When was the last time that AP ammo was used in a way that involved terrorism or criminal activity (compared to any other form of ammo)?... uhhh, like never as far as I know.

It is in the ATFE's best interest to have a single criteria of rules and standards to enforce. They know it. The hodge-podge system of rules, bans, executive orders and loopholes/exceptions is crazy and everybody knows it (except maybe the good folks in Congress).
    Every ATF agent I have ever known has been a complete A-hole. Does no one remember Ruby Ridge and Waco. They are not just .gov employees doing a job they are JBTs.

(Bucks County)

WANTED: Definition of "JBT".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    WANTED: Definition of "JBT".
    Jack booted thug

Do you think that Mr. Turk wants to be that Senate approved director? Maybe DJT can nominate him.
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast