Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default Re: Inexpensive 308 cal AR15?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    What do you use for home defense? I bet if you tried sneaking in to my house you wouldn't survive a shot in the chest with a 308. Keep laughing if yo think you would.
    Why not use a .50 BMG for home defense?

Or a 20mm Anzio...... You aren't surviving a shot in the chest with one of those either.

(Lackawanna County)

Dpms oracle is the only thing in that price range. You maybe able to get one sub 700

(Allegheny County)

I would be just as worried for you neighbors and their neighbors. I use a 45 or a shotgun so I don't kill my neighbors.

My DPMS was 1k and it's about a 3/4 moa gun.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaleDriver View Post
    .308 for home defense?
    Why not?
    I have all sorts of firearms in a wide range of calibers at my disposal for self/home defense.
    Is there a threshold that should not be crossed when it comes to "my life or yours"? Playing fair is no way to go about saving yourself from those who would do you harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    Maybe you should look into a FN FAL?
    I love those things. Most though are heavy and unwieldy, although I think 16" models can be found which would be a bonus. (for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    What do you use for home defense? I bet if you tried sneaking in to my house you wouldn't survive a shot in the chest with a 308. Keep laughing if yo think you would.
    Fuckin' A!

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Dpms oracle is the only thing in that price range. You maybe able to get one sub 700
    Maybe.
    Dunham's had them on sale over the past year regularly for $799 and as low as $749 on two occasions that I'm aware of.
    (I keep all the circulars - and I was watching them because it's one I would like to get but the money just wasn't there this year)
    I saw a few other vendors/retailers putting them on sale around $750 as well, so I think it would be lucky to find one for $700 outside of Christmas sale time. Fingers crossed for dropping prices this year though!

I would be just as worried for you neighbors and their neighbors. I use a 45 or a shotgun so I don't kill my neighbors.
    Many of my neighbors are expendable.

I don't project that "over-penetration/risk" stuff onto others as I don't know the specifics of their situation.
    Personally, I think the fear is overblown and in my case all the homes are brick, so I did the math and made saving my life a priority over worrying about a bunch of remotely possible "what ifs".
    Everyone needs to evaluate their own situation though and the risk is real for some in regards to rounds going where they should not go.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

if you were closer i have one in the classifieds

(Allegheny County)

Hobbs, have you considered a Vepr or other "AK" variant?

Although the AR is probably more ergonomic, I'm seriously considering one for the lower price.
    I want a semi auto .308 and I want it because it makes big holes in things.

Currently on Atlantic Firearms website:
    Vepr .308 Rifle 16" Barrel with Factory Stamped Furniture $719.00 (they come in different barrel lengths)
    looking around quickly, that seems like a decent price - the other 4 places I found wanted $799-ish

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Many of my neighbors are expendable.

I don't project that "over-penetration/risk" stuff onto others as I don't know the specifics of their situation.
    Personally, I think the fear is overblown and in my case all the homes are brick, so I did the math and made saving my life a priority over worrying about a bunch of remotely possible "what ifs".
    Everyone needs to evaluate their own situation though and the risk is real for some in regards to rounds going where they should not go.
    My neighbors are not expendable and I am glad I am not one of yours. I also have to think about encountering someone in a hallway where one of my kids might be on the other side. I guess it's a matter of perspective and how much lawyering I want to do. Personally I think it is irresponsible to use something like a .308 in MY house. I try to think about more than just self anymore.

The .300 blackout shoots a .308 bullet, you can get a decent new or used AR in that for around your budget. The 110-150gr supersonic ammo is fine for up to deer sized game. The ammo price won't kill you at the range and mags are cheaper than an AR10. Or you could go with a 7.62x39 AR. Though the 7.62x39 AR can be more finicky due to the harder primed ammo and magazines. PSA sells uppers in each caliber, just match it up with one of their complete lowers.

My neighbors are not expendable and I am glad I am not one of yours. I also have to think about encountering someone in a hallway where one of my kids might be on the other side. I guess it's a matter of perspective and how much lawyering I want to do. Personally I think it is irresponsible to use something like a .308 in MY house. I try to think about more than just self anymore.
    The .308 is not a problem in an urban environment IF you use the right ammo. The .308 ammo in the link actually penetrates LESS than a modern service caliber in the same medium. Look at the gel tests in the link.(under "gelatins" tab)

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ri...0-gr-tap-urban

More penetration with this round but still not excessive.
    http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ri...-tap-precision
    Last edited by dkf; February 5th, 2017 at 11:49 PM.

(Indiana County)

I'm surprised that many of you that live in those paper houses like they have in Japan.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast