Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Wiley Clapp GP100

I handled one of these at a LGS and really liked how it felt. Anyone have one of these that they want to let go cheap??? seriously, any reasons why I wouldn't want to buy one? pros VS cons or even alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Wiley Clapp GP100

I've no idea what Wiley Clapp might do to them. But the GP 100 is an outstanding revolver! Though in truth as they arrive from Ruger they do need a little refining. Notably a trigger job and replacement of trigger and rebound springs. I'm sure guys here with more expertise than I can give you the full skinny.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Centre County)

If you like the feel of the WC, try the GP100 Match Champion. Now the MC does have the adjustable rear sight which some like and some would rather have the WC with the fixed Novak sights. The MC, comes out of the box with really nothing to do other than to shoot it. Most of the other GP100's could use a little work but it's pretty easy to get a real good trigger, both DA and SA with some spring changes and a little judicious stone work to polish things up a bit. I happen to have 9 GP100's from 3" to 6" (fixed and adjustable sight models) including a few rarer ones and IMO they are some of the best (and probably the strongest) DA revolvers made. But like anything, they can be improved upon to make them even better.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If you like the feel of the WC, try the GP100 Match Champion. Now the MC does have the adjustable rear sight which some like and some would rather have the WC with the fixed Novak sights. The MC, comes out of the box with really nothing to do other than to shoot it. Most of the other GP100's could use a little work but it's pretty easy to get a real good trigger, both DA and SA with some spring changes and a little judicious stone work to polish things up a bit. I happen to have 9 GP100's from 3" to 6" (fixed and adjustable sight models) including a few rarer ones and IMO they are some of the best (and probably the strongest) DA revolvers made. But like anything, they can be improved upon to make them even better.
    FYI: The Match Champion comes in either fixed or adjustable rear site.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100M...on/models.html

(Dauphin County)

I also am uninformed about the Wiley Clapp version of this revolver. However, A Ruger GP100 was the first 357 revolver I ever owned. Bought a used 6" for $300. Will never sell this gun. I have worked on the trigger. Only providing a mirror polish to all metal to metal parts and nothing else. Changed springs but then changed back due to light primer strikes. I reload and shoot lots and lots of plinking loads and I also chronograph my MAX load heavy hitters with this Ruger. It is a fantastic revolver. Had a chance to buy a blued 6" with 1/2 underlug a few years back and don't know why the heck I let that one go?? The design is different than a Smith so the trigger is different but you can definitely get them nice and slick where they just roll in double action. As my eyes get older I really like the idea of a fiber optic front site. Enjoy the GP 100 really no good reason not to own one or several.

(Bucks County)

I brought one about 2 years ago. It’s my son’s favorite gun to shoot when I take him to the range. No reason not to get one if you have the funds.