Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Old Rossi Model 68 Question

I have recently repaired a Rossi M68 3" revolver. It was missing the ejector rod and center pin. I have installed both and the gun is functioning. The back and forth lock up on the cylinder is impressive for the age of the gun, however the left right is concerning. Toward the rear of the cylinder, there is an insignificant amount of play, but toward the front near the arm, there seems about 1/32 of left/right. How do I tighten up the front of the cylinder? The hand is not worn and otherwise all function is good. Thanks!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Old Rossi Model 68 Question

How are you ascertaining this play?

The only play that matters is when the hammer is cocked during single action, or right before the moment of hammer drop in double action.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

I have to make the cylinder and arm move manually, but I don't like that is so loose. The swing arm and cylinder should lock into place snug. i understand there can be a little left/right movement, it just seems excessive.

http://imgur.com/a/LkaDU

This is the gap.

(Bucks County)

The photo shows a crane-to-frame gap that is, as you fear, excessive. It translates to chamber-bore misalignment. I doubt an armorer conducting weapon inspection on a range would allow use of the gun. I would attempt to ascertain why the gap. I have a suspicion, based on your saying the ejector and rear pin had been missing. Inspect the cylinder under magnification for a sign of heavy impact. At some point, the right side of the revolver may have received a heavy blow, bending the ejector and possibly snapping off the rear pin...which is why they were missing. In the process, the crane was bent. (Just thinking about how a bent crane can happen).
    Last edited by Bang; February 5th, 2017 at 01:20 PM.