Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default 22 short through a marlin 22 lr bolt action rifle

A few weeks ago, I inherited some .22 short.

I decided to shoot them through my marlin 925.

I tried running them through the magazine (or is it a clip?) But that wasn't really working out.

Single shot however worked out really great. Way less noise and even less recoil (if you can imagine that) than .22lr.

The guy at the range asked me if I was shooting cb caps because it was so quiet.

As far as I can tell, .22 short isn't quite as cheap as I would have thought (not enough demand I guess?). However, everybody has that friend who accidentally buys shorts instead of long rifle.

Operating the rifle as a single shot really helped me try and make every shot count just a little more.

As kind of a side note, in this configuration, it has virtually no recoil. I have 2 air rifles that kick so much more. And are probably just as loud (and possibly louder). I'd think a .22 short would be capable of dispatching small game/rodents pretty easily.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 22 short through a marlin 22 lr bolt action rifle

I hadn't seen shorts since I was a kid (although I never actually looked for them) and then when I got a Henry lever action I started to look for some to try.
    Yeah, you'd think they would be less money, but like you said - "demand".

I have a few hundred of them now to shoot in the Henry and my 22 pumps. Nice because you can get more in the tube.

Pretty quiet for sure. And cute too.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

or is it a clip?)
    Depends on which section of Levittown you are located. (Couldn't resist).

Shorts are fine for close shots at vermin. If that Marlin is old enough (like, no serial numbers on it) the barrel might be stamped S, L and LR or similar. If only stamped .22LR, it is probably designed for LR only, as you found out on a practical basis.

For many years (40s, 50s, 60s...maybe 70s) gun gurus warned that it is not a good idea to shoot .22 shorts in a long rifle chamber. Reason being the fire ring produced by the short will erode the barrel at a point which would affect the accuracy of a LR. Have no idea how quickly that would happen but suspect it would take a lot of shooting, because other gurus have written that it is near impossible to shoot out a .22 LR barrel because the cartridge is too mild.

ETA: I have seen shorts at gun shows where I overheard a particular dealer explaining the stiff price of shorts by explaining that (a particular company) only makes shorts once a year so better buy 'em while they are available.
    Last edited by Bang; February 2nd, 2017 at 11:01 PM.

(Bucks County)

Zing!

Well given that my former neighbor threw a dead squirrel in my yard, I'd say it is just as likely to be called a bullet holder.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Depends on which section of Levittown you are located.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    A few weeks ago, I inherited some .22 short.

I decided to shoot them through my marlin 925.

I tried running them through the magazine (or is it a clip?) But that wasn't really working out.

Single shot however worked out really great. Way less noise and even less recoil (if you can imagine that) than .22lr.

The guy at the range asked me if I was shooting cb caps because it was so quiet.

As far as I can tell, .22 short isn't quite as cheap as I would have thought (not enough demand I guess?). However, everybody has that friend who accidentally buys shorts instead of long rifle.

Operating the rifle as a single shot really helped me try and make every shot count just a little more.

As kind of a side note, in this configuration, it has virtually no recoil. I have 2 air rifles that kick so much more. And are probably just as loud (and possibly louder). I'd think a .22 short would be capable of dispatching small game/rodents pretty easily.

-Zach
    My model 25 will load S, L, or LR, but I don't think the 925 is even supposed to shoot shorts. My barrel is stamped S,L, LR.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    My model 25 will load S, L, or LR, but I don't think the 925 is even supposed to shoot shorts. My barrel is stamped S,L, LR.
    Some rifles its not recommended, something about the gasses ruining the throat of the chamber.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    The Wikipedia article on Marlin includes the Model 925 which was originally the Model 25N according to what I read. The article spells it out as .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle. Marlin, however, lists the 925 as .22 LR only, maybe because the detachable magazine will only work reliably with LR (but Marlin gives no real rationale up front). I did some further research to find that a number of single-shot .22 rimfires such as the Savage Mark I and Crickett 163 (both bolt action) and the Henry Golden Boy H004 (lever action) among others are listed by the manufacturer to fire all 3 types. Listings in several catalogs for the Henry model state that the magazine capacity is 21 rounds for short and 16 rounds for long.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Bucks County)

I think it comes down to the transition from the old style clip to the new style. The 925 won't chamber the shorts from the clip. I suspect the old clips will. My ex has a 25N That is living in my safe currently. But I didn't feel like screwing with that. I'm sure the barrel is the same on both guns and the only difference is the clip and related parts.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

I had a Marlin 25 as a kid and I could have sworn it was marked for all three.

I don't think I ever used anything but 22LR in it though.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

The gas will not hurt the chamber but bullet residue will build up and make regular rounds stick in chamber.I have been doing this for years with the shorts mostly to keep the report quieter ! Just clean the firearm and chamber well !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast