Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Project AR-AK a marriage of east and west

just completed my 7.62x39 ar-15 build and I figured I'd share some photos of the build. This was my first complete build and honestly, I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. No more spending money to have someone else build a rifle...

Completed lower. Walked my wife through on how to build it, surprisingly enough she thought it was simple, and wanted to build more. Minus the bolt catch because she lost a few parts. Still waiting on delivery of that.
    Parts list:
    Stag arms blemish lower
    Aero precision blemish upper
    Palmetto State armory build kit
    Magpul moe stock
    Magpul moe grip
    Magpul buis
    ARD 7.62x39 barrel
    Black rifle arms 7.62x39 bolt & enhanced firing pin
    Odinworks low profile clamp on adjustable gas block
    Odinworks 12.5 inch hand guard
    Lantac dragon 7.62 muzzle break
    C products 30 round "standard" capacity magazine
    C products 10th round magazine.

The build was very easy, only hiccup was shortening the dust cover rod to allow the two piece barrel nut to index properly.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Project AR-AK a marriage of east and west

Damn. Just noticed this.

Cool! I'm planning to put one together by the summer.
    I have the lower already - I just need an upper.

Have you shot it yet?

I can't get used to the look of those 30 rd mags.
    That extreme curve and extra length just look so odd.
    C-Products makes a 28 rd mag that's a bit shorter and I'll probably try those out.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

My wife and I shot 120 rounds through it. A mixture of tula hollow point rounds, and Winchester fmj. Dialed in the gas block to ensure proper bolt lock back. Had a minor issue with the first three rounds where the bolt would stick, but after hand cycling a few times, it ran great. I'll post a video of my wife shooting. Brass is ejecting around the 4 o clock position

(Allegheny County)

Adjustable gas block - I'll probably use the same if I build.
    I haven't yet decided if I'll build to suit my preferences or just buy a complete upper.

My lower has an "A2 style" look to it, so I may just stick with a basic overall look and use an upper with A2 front sight and add a carry handle, and be done with it.

In my minimal opinion, an adj gas block is necessary for a non standard round. A standard h buffer will do just fine, no need to buy multiple buffer weights. Open gas block to cycle the cheap tula, and it'll cycle anything.

Personally, I would recommend building yourself, it's a fun process and you'll be able to buy exactly what you want, and you know that all parts are up to your standards, and not a company that wants to Make a profit.

If the manufacturer did their homework and sized the gas port right you don't need an adjustable gas block.(they can tell you what buffer their barrel needs) The thing is a lot of manufacturers don't do the R&D so the consumer has to do it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    In my minimal opinion, an adj gas block is necessary for a non standard round. A standard h buffer will do just fine, no need to buy multiple buffer weights. Open gas block to cycle the cheap tula, and it'll cycle anything.

Personally, I would recommend building yourself, it's a fun process and you'll be able to buy exactly what you want, and you know that all parts are up to your standards, and not a company that wants to Make a profit.
    I'm debating the Radical Firearms upper, but I know deep down that you are right.

I wanted to keep this "inexpensive" and that's easily accomplished with the Radical upper.

EDIT:
    One of my concerns was "appearance". I know that function should be priority, but if I'm spending my hard-earned money, I don't want it to look like ass.
    I'm using a GWACS Armory CAV15 "one piece" lower and I thought the only thing that would look right is a basic AR15 setup.
    Then I found some other pics and I think I like it with the right free float hand guard.
    ALG Defense is good and affordable and looks great on this rifle that uses the same lower/stock I have...

Building my own would allow me to do a 14.5" barrel with welded muzzle device.

Ugh. Why do I click these threads. They always end up costing me money I don't have!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm debating the Radical Firearms upper, but I know deep down that you are right.

I wanted to keep this "inexpensive" and that's easily accomplished with the Radical upper.

EDIT:
    One of my concerns was "appearance". I know that function should be priority, but if I'm spending my hard-earned money, I don't want it to look like ass.
    I'm using a GWACS Armory CAV15 "one piece" lower and I thought the only thing that would look right is a basic AR15 setup.
    Then I found some other pics and I think I like it with the right free float hand guard.
    ALG Defense is good and affordable and looks great on this rifle that uses the same lower/stock I have...

Building my own would allow me to do a 14.5" barrel with welded muzzle device.

Ugh. Why do I click these threads. They always end up costing me money I don't have!
    I currently have a radical firearms 458 socom upper, and while it is ok for general plinking, I wouldn't trust their build with my life. The reason why their stuff is so cheap is they cut corners. There's lots of threads regarding their build quality.

If you have any questions regarding my build, please feel free to pm me. I'd be happy to help, and if your near the tobyhanna sgl range we can meet up so you can check it out
    Last edited by SIGFAN86; February 21st, 2017 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    If the manufacturer did their homework and sized the gas port right you don't need an adjustable gas block.(they can tell you what buffer their barrel needs) The thing is a lot of manufacturers don't do the R&D so the consumer has to do it.
    My concern with 7.62x39 is the large quality differences in ammo, manufacturers will claim 100% reliability with brass cased ammo from xyz manufacturer, but then you might have issues with steel. And most people choose the ak round for it's cheap steel ammo costs. It's up to the end user to decide if a $100 adjustable gas block is worth the investment.

Usually the problem with 7.62X39 steel cased in ARs is primer ignition issues. Next is magazine issues. I've ran into the hard primers in my ARs before with certain steel cased ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast