Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie reloader

(Allegheny County)

Default Rookie reloader

I just ordered all the equipment to start reloading. My first venture is going to be precision rounds for 6.5 Creedmoor.

Bought a Forster Single Stage Press, RCBS mechanical scale, Dies, Powder Drop and whole bunch of other stuff.

I really, really, really like the Harvey Hand Deprimer I bought. I deprimed a ton of 6.5 and 308 today. As I sorted it initially I didn't separate those two since they look so much alike. It is so easy to deprime and then I'll clean them prior to ever setting in a press which should keep the press cleaner. All I can do right now is deprime and clean since I don't have any other equipment yet nor my new bench.

Everything should be here within the next two weeks so I'll have plenty of brass prepped when it arrives. The Forster Coax Single Stage press should be here tomorrow, the dies could be another week or more.

The ultra sonic cleaner only holds 40 cases laying flat and I've run them for eight minutes three times. They are clean but I'm not sure I like this too much. Takes too long for too few cases and I don't like resetting the timer repetitively. I'm running a larger batch now with more cleaning solution to see how it works.

I am definitively buying the Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler 7L to do bigger batches!

This all new and so far it's a fun way top spend time. What else do I have to do?

Clean 6.5 brass second batch.jpg
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Default Re: Rookie reloader

Did you get a micrometer? When i first got into it that turned out to be an indispensable tool.

When you want to talk about real precision reloading, there is a ton of tools I never even heard of until I started hanging out with benchrest guys. That's probably way down the road for most of us, though.

You will want a good reloading resource, and a variety of powders, primers, and bullets to try. Even bullets of the same grain weight but from different manufacturers and styles can vary drastically in accuracy out of the same gun.

The most important thing to remember about reloading for accuracy though, is it is about QUALITY, rather than quantity. When i work up loads for my rifles, i load no more than 10 the exact same way. For example, say my starting load is 30 grains, I will load the same size brass with the same exact primers and bullets, but change the powder weight slightly. Ill do even 5 at 29.5, 30, and 30.5. You would be surprised what kind of variances you get.

Ill also make a "dummy" case and seat a bullet it in it to make sure the depth is right on my seating die.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and good luck!

p.s. What gun will you be shooting these out of?

(Allegheny County)

Oh yes I bought a mechanical micrometer, not digital.

Anyone ever use a Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gauge Bolt Action ? I want very accurate determination of the "proper" bullet seating depth.

I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Next is 308 out of a REM 700 5R barrel.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

I use a Bullet Comparator gauge. It measures the length from the ogive instead of the overall length. I find this is better because the ogive is actually where the bullet engages the rifling, everything in front of that doesn't really matter. I think the one I have is from hornady also.

I had a mechanical one for awhile, now i only use it as a backup. Make sure you get a decent one. The ones from Harbor Freight I have not had much luck with. They go out of spec way too easy, at least in my experience.

(Bucks County)

Sizing brass correctly for your rifle(s) is important for safety and accuracy.

I highly recommend the Hornady Headspace Comparator. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479...ith-comparator

(Warren County)

^^^^^

This.

Trim and chamfer all brass to the same length, so the die affects each case the same way.
    This is a BIG deal on rifle reloading.

Handguns - doesn't matter at all for straight wall cases but you HAVE to be consistent on rifle or you are gonna chase your ass looking for better results.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

I bought a WILSON CASE GAGE for 6.5 Creedmoor.

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/m...87-114602.aspx

I use the Hornady OAL gauge and comparator a lot and they are great tools. Seating depth is vital. I also have the headspace tool as well but I must admit that I don't really use it, I probably should. I also have a neck turning tool that I used to use, but I don't do that much anymore either.

(Washington County)

Buy a good trimmer the first time. I started with a hand turned trimmer and then had to go an buy a electric one.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast