Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: Best way to sell gun?

I listed a rifle here on Sunday.
    I mentioned in the listing that I had another I would be posting later in the week.
    Within 10 mins I sold both rifles, the second one sight unseen to the buyer.
    Pricing did it.
    I picked them up on a package deal and just didn't need the two I sold, I did clean them up and put some time into taking pics and such.
    One trends at $500-600 on Gunbroker, I listed it for $400 shipped, the other trends for $350.
    The buyer asked for a package price on both and I gave him the "I just want to sell the things quickly" price.

I've listed other "odd" rifles here, the price was good but the items were just to off the wall for local buyers to want.
    By going to another site that has a more nationwide membership the stuff sold within a day.

Saturday I was at a local shop, he turned down 3 used guns while I was there.
    Not every shop wants or needs what you are selling.
    Buying used hunting rifles at this time of the year is a hard thing to do for example.
    Even at a cut-rate buying price the shop will probably sit on the rifle for months.

As mentioned, guns like the LCP are another, with dealer cost being $179 I doubt you'd find a dealer offering more than $75 for a mint condition one.
    The 10/22 is another, dealer cost is right under $200 for a base model, I'd be surprised to see someone get an offer of over $100 for a used one, and if they did that's a pretty generous dealer IMO.

It's not just guns either, I just picked up some P14 Enfield "sword" bayonets.
    One of the Remingtons is a little too rough for my collection but would be a good place setter or display piece for the beginning collector, however they can be found for around $100 here and there, crazy Ebay prices are higher, so how an I sell the thing for $75 and then do shipping? It's just not worth the time.
    I'll probably bundle it with a couple other bayonets and try for a package deal at some point.
    Last edited by 39flathead; February 15th, 2017 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    This forum has been the easiest way to sell stuff for me
    Yes, and you can usually trust posters on here not to be Mexican drug lords who wants your gun for a hit job.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Bucks County)

Hey everyone, I thought I’d give an update: I ended up selling a few guns at the LGS. After all the above helpful information, I decided that I didn’t want the headache of selling a gun on Gunbroker or other site, if it meant only a few extra bucks. (But I may try selling some left over magazines and barrels on Gunbroker in the future.)
    I ended up selling around 10 guns – ones that I haven’t shot in years. I thought I got a fair deal for them. The offers were 40 to 60% of the original price, so say around 50% mostly. All of the guns were excellent to like-new condition, with boxes, mags, manuals, etc. I had read an old thread from a few years back saying to expect 30% from the LGS, which might have made me pass and reconsider the Gunbroker option. When I was back at the store a week later, I did see a couple of mine on the used shelf -- and one was on sale for only $69 more and another for only $99 more than I sold them for. So I think pretty fair and reasonable price all around for me, and the LGS, and the next purchaser.
    As a side note, one of the guns I sold was a Sig P239. This was my first gun I had bought in 1997 (the P239 had come out in 1996 and was on gun magazine covers, so I was hooked like a bass). I haven’t shot it in years. And I had never carried it. So it was expendable. But now that it’s gone, it’s the only one out of the sold guns that I have had second thoughts about. Ahhh, well.

(Indiana County)

Thanks for the update.

But just consider that by not at least trying the classifieds here on those two guns alone you have potentially lost out on $170.

If the other 8 are being sold for even $50 over what you sold them for you are now out another $400.

A $600-800 loss on 10 guns seems pretty costly imo.
    I'm not posting this to be smart assed, but posting it for others that may find this thread later and who might not think of the math involved.

IMO you left a lot of money on the table without even trying the classifieds here.
    I just did a trade deal from a member here, a couple pm's, one phone call and we met up the next day.
    Easy transaction and we were both pleased with our new toys.

A couple months back I bought a Sig from a member here, same thing, two messages and we agreed to meet at a lgs on Saturday, he showed up, I showed up, money was exchanged and we both left happy.

But anyway, if you're happy on your sales I suppose that's all that matters.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunWhatGun View Post
    Hey everyone, I thought I’d give an update: I ended up selling a few guns at the LGS. After all the above helpful information, I decided that I didn’t want the headache of selling a gun on Gunbroker or other site, if it meant only a few extra bucks. (But I may try selling some left over magazines and barrels on Gunbroker in the future.)
    I ended up selling around 10 guns – ones that I haven’t shot in years. I thought I got a fair deal for them. The offers were 40 to 60% of the original price, so say around 50% mostly. All of the guns were excellent to like-new condition, with boxes, mags, manuals, etc. I had read an old thread from a few years back saying to expect 30% from the LGS, which might have made me pass and reconsider the Gunbroker option. When I was back at the store a week later, I did see a couple of mine on the used shelf -- and one was on sale for only $69 more and another for only $99 more than I sold them for. So I think pretty fair and reasonable price all around for me, and the LGS, and the next purchaser.
    As a side note, one of the guns I sold was a Sig P239. This was my first gun I had bought in 1997 (the P239 had come out in 1996 and was on gun magazine covers, so I was hooked like a bass). I haven’t shot it in years. And I had never carried it. So it was expendable. But now that it’s gone, it’s the only one out of the sold guns that I have had second thoughts about. Ahhh, well.
    Prices quoted to me from any LGS were less than 50% of what I sold any of my guns for. I guess if you don't need the money, it's the easiest way to unload your guns. But they're paying wholesale, while any direct buyers are paying retail, or close. Just like selling a used car. See what a dealer will give you vs. a private sale. But, if you just want to unload it, and money no object, it's the quickest way, I suppose.

(Lancaster County)

Most recently I have been selling mine thru Horst Auction. They post auction results and commission so you can get idea of what stuff will go for, but is auction so never know for sure. link

http://www.horstauction.com/

(Indiana County)

The offers were 40 to 60% of the original price, so say around 50% mostly.
    My curiosity got the better of me, I went back and read through the thread.

What kind of guns were these?
    Because many guns go up in price over the years.
    So getting 50% of the original price might sound good until the gun has increased in value 300% since new.

Example?
    A Calico M100 was about $350 brand new back in the 90's, now that's a $800-1000 little rifle new in the box.
    A NIB pre-Remlin Marlin 336 might have been $269 when new, but now demands a premium.
    A Dan Wesson .445 Supermag was about $1000 a little over 20 years ago when new, now a NIB one would fetch twice that easily.

I sure hope the OP didn't sell off anything that has greatly increased in value for 50% of the original price, because if he did a dealer somewhere is smiling ear to ear.

(Bucks County)

Yes. All excellent points! Obviously, I wasn't willing to put in the time to sell on my own. Looking at the numbers and weighing the time and hassle of meeting and getting payment as well as the FFL transfer fees, etc, it just wasn't worth it to me. I just posted this to give people an idea about what a reasonable offer from the LGS might be. Like I mentioned, there was a previous old thread where someone mentioned expecting offers of 30% of the original price from LGS. At that level, I probably would have passed. I still don't think I would have bothered to sell on my own. I just would have kept the gun. In the final analysis, the LGS made a few bucks off of me, but No, they didn't get rich off of me either.
    For the poster asking, these are nice modern guns in current production. So there is an actual New price out there which dictates the top price, and a Used price (no matter how nice a condition) based on this. The guns were items such as the Sig P239 which I mentioned, HK P30, Ruger GP100, Rem M700, etc. All of these are good guns which I like (which is why I got them in the first place), but none are what anyone would define as "collectible" nor would I expect them to appreciate in value during our lifetime. At best, these modern production guns may hold their value (after the "Used" discount), but in the current market, that is becoming less likely also. Case in point from my lot being the HK P30, for which the New price had decreased significantly since I first bought it 4 years ago. This was mildly annoying, but I'm a realist. Cheers.

(Indiana County)

Appreciate the clarification on the types of guns you sold, far too many times I've seen people take a beating on collectibles and that's why I was posting, for future reference of anyone reading the thread.

Thanks again.

(Delaware County)

Just a heads up for you GunWhatGun. I would have been interested in the GP100 and would most likely have paid a bit more. I believe it would have been an easy transaction. I still suggest you post them here first for a week or so if you are inclined to sell any more.

Glad you made out decently and was not ripped off for collectible guns.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast