Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 137 of 339 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Home...483519581.html

Homeowner holds suspect at gun point during burglary, suspect in critical condition

By: Fletcher Keel | WCTV Eyewitness News
    May 23, 2018

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- The Tallahassee Police Department has arrested a man who reportedly attempted to break into a home and was subsequently held at gunpoint by the homeowner.

Officials says around 11 p.m. on Tuesday, officers and Leon County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a residence in the 100 block of Lawndale Road regarding a burglary. Deputies say the caller informed officials that the suspect was banging on the door and screaming into the residence before breaking a window to enter.

According to deputies, the suspect was holding a lamp as he was confronted by the homeowner, who was armed. Officials say the suspect informed the resident that he was being "chased by a bear," after the resident told him to leave the residence.

Deputies say the suspect was held at gunpoint until law enforcement arrived.

Officials say Tallahassee Police officers were first to arrive on the scene and engaged the suspect, who began to advance towards officers with the lamp raised, in a position to strike an officer.

LCSO says the officer used a taser in an effort to restrain the suspect until they were able to gain control of the suspect and handcuff him.

An EMS request was made due to taser deployment, and the suspect began to show signs of excited delirium.

Officials say while being treated by EMS, his condition began to decline, and eventually lost consciousness. At that point, officials say EMS began CPR.

Authorities say the suspect was transported to a local medical facility and is in critical condition.

https://www.cleveland.com/lyndhurst-...end_his_f.html

Animal at large, Eastway Road:

A man, 44, shot a dog while he was walking with his wife and children May 12. He said the dog broke free from a home and attacked and bit him on the leg, causing a small laceration. It was determined he shot the dog in self defense and is a valid CCW permit holder.

http://www.codyenterprise.com/news/l...8c15a9f55.html

Griz killed: Self-defense claimed in shooting of bear

Game and Fish are investigating an incident in which a person reportedly shot and killed a grizzly in self-defense Tuesday on Sheep Mountain.

According to G&F officials, a person on the mountain southwest of Cody had a surprise encounter with a mother grizzly bear that morning, and said they shot the bear in self-defense.

Dan Smith, Cody Region wildlife supervisor, said the person involved reported the incident immediately after the surprise encounter with the sow and nearby cubs.

We’re just glad there were no injuries,” Smith said.

G&F personnel investigated the scene to confirm the death of the adult female grizzly, but were unable to locate the cubs.

No information on the identity of the person is being released while the investigation is ongoing.

G&F has also dealt with four problem bears this year, two of which they had to put down due to repeat problems.

G&F biologist Luke Ellsbury said it’s been a relatively normal year for problem grizzlies.

“It’s probably about average right now,” he said. “May tends to be a period of high activity. But once elk calves are born, the grizzlies move up to hunt those.”

The most recent grizzly bear had been causing problems since 2009. The male was known to kill cattle in the Meeteetse area, and was caught because Ellsbury said he’d been frequenting the calving pasture at Turnell Cattle Company. He was put down in early April.

“We made the decision to capture him, but we didn’t know which bear it was,” he said. “Once we figured out he had a history with cattle, we made the decision to remove him.”

The other bear was caught in the Clark area and put down due to a history of killing cattle.

http://www.witn.com/content/news/POL...483614461.html

POLICE: Home invader shot by homeowner, still on the run

Posted: Thu 2:04 PM, May 24, 2018
    ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. (WITN) - Police continue to look for a person shot after breaking into a home early this morning.

Roanoke Rapids police say the home invasion happened around 3:30 a.m. in the 500 block of Raleigh Street.

The homeowner told police they awoke after hearing a noise, retrieved a firearm, and then confronted the person inside the home.

Police say the homeowner shot three times, hitting the person at least once before they ran from the home.

The person was dressed in all back, but police say little else is known about them.

Anyone with information on this home invasion should call the Roanoke Rapids Police Department at 252-533-2810 and Halifax County Crime Stoppers at 252-583-3444.

https://patch.com/texas/dallas-ftwor...robbery-police

Homeowner Shoots Suspect In Overnight Robbery: Police
    The injured suspect was taken to a local hospital for treatment. Another suspect remains at large.

May 24, 2018 10:02 am ET
    Homeowner Shoots Suspect In Overnight Robbery: Police
    DALLAS, TX — One armed homeowner shot and injured a person who tried to break into his home early Thursday morning in far south Dallas, police say.

Police were sent to investigate a report of a home invasion around 3:20 a.m. Thursday in the 3100 block of Cliff Creek Crossing Drive.

When they arrived, officers learned that an armed homeowner had used a pistol to fire on two people who entered his house with guns and demanded money, police said.

One of the robbery suspects was shot multiple times and was taken to a local hospital, police said.

The other robbery suspect fled from the scene and remains at large, authorities said.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/201...ore-with-knife

7-Eleven employee pulls gun on suspect attempting to rob Victorville store with a knife
    Kevin Trudgeon Most Popular Our Picks
    VICTORVILLE — The quick-thinking and brave actions of a 7-Eleven employee helped stop an attempted burglary here early Thursday morning.

Danish Rehman, 33, was working behind the counter at the 7-Eleven on the corner of Seventh Street and La Paz Drive when a man entered the convenience store and began threatening him.

“He told me he wanted to fight and I told him no, I didn’t want to fight him,” Rehman said. “Then he said, ‘Open the register and give me all your money.’ I thought he was joking at first.”

According to Rehman and a surveillance video provided to the Daily Press, the man then jumped up onto the counter, pulled out a knife and pressed it against Rehman’s neck.

“I started to open the register, but then I saw he only had a knife, so I took out my gun,” Rehman said.

In the video, Rehman can be seen grabbing a handgun from underneath the counter and a scuffle ensues. Rehman and the man, identified as 58-year-old Victorville transient Jordan Anthony Kirk by authorities, end up up going back over the counter and eventually out the door of the store.

“He was bigger than me, so he pulled me outside and he had a friend who came over and tried to take the gun from me,” Rehman said. “But someone who helps cleanup the parking lot came over and helped me hold (Kirk) down and someone inside the store call the police.”

San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Victorville Station deputies responded to the 7-Eleven at approximately 4:30 a.m. “where an employee had detained a man at gunpoint who was attempting to rob the store,” said Victorville Sheriff’s Station spokeswoman Mara Rodriguez.

Kirk was arrested and booked at the High Desert Detention Center, but the second man who allegedly attempted to help Kirk had already fled the scene when authorities arrived.

Less than an hour later, however, the man returned and began making threats, Rehman said.

“This guy had been in the store before a couple weeks earlier, asking where my husband was at and saying that he was Muslim and a terrorist,” said Rehman’s wife, Elizabeth, who also works at the 7-Eleven.

“So I think this was all planned. When he came back in, he told Danish, “When you get off work, I’m going to kill you.’”

Rehman’s boss reportedly saw the second confrontation on surveillance video from his home and called 911.

“At 5:15 a.m., the store employee reported there had been a second suspect and he was back at the location,” Rodriguez said. “Deputies located the second man near the store. He was detained and transported to the (Victorville Sheriff’s Station) for questioning.”

Elizabeth Rehman, 41, said her husband was “scared in the moment, but the owner left the gun for protection for us in a case like this and he just reacted.”

The couple said they wanted to get the word out about what happened and that they’re “not going to take anything from anybody.”

“A lot of people think because my husband was born in another country that he’s not going to fight back,” said Elizabeth Rehman, who noted that Danish Rehman was born in Pakistan. “It’s not OK to make threats about his religion or where he’s from. We’re not going to put up with that.”

http://www.wsmv.com/story/38256033/s...e-neighborhood

3 teen suspects in armed robbery, shootout in Bellevue neighborhood

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -
    Three armed teen robbery suspects are on the run after allegedly getting into a shootout early Wednesday morning with one of their victim’s sons.

Police said the shooting took place behind a row of townhomes on Gen. George Patton Road in the River Plantation.

The suspects were driving behind the female victim and bumped her car as she was turning into the alley near her son’s townhome.

According to police, one of the suspects got out of the car and tried to rob the victim at gunpoint. The victim drove into the parking area behind her son’s house and began honking her horn. The son came outside with a gun and one of the suspects allegedly fired first.

The son fired at least three shots and the suspects drove away.

Police said no one was injured.

Police said the teens may have been involved in two other overnight armed robberies.

At 10:40 p.m. on Tuesday, the victim was walking on Illinois Avenue near 47th Avenue North when a black four-door car pulled up next to him. A gunman in the backseat demanded his belongings. The victim complied. When the suspects drove off, a shot was fired into the air.

Just after midnight Wednesday, a man noticed a black sedan following him. The driver of the sedan bumped the victim’s vehicle from behind at the intersection of Sawyer Brown Road and Todd Pleis Drive. When the victim exited his vehicle, a gunman got out of the back seat of the black car, fired a shot, and then yelled to his accomplices “get in his car.” The victim drove off at a high rate of speed and was stopped by an officer on Sawyer Brown Road where he reported the attempted robbery.

Vice Mayor Sheri Weiner, who represents the area, has called a special community meeting with Metro Police to address the shooting on May 29 at 6:30 p.m. at the Bellevue Library.

http://q13fox.com/2018/05/23/one-per...hgate-seattle/

Police: Man shoots another in Northgate, tells officers he fired after being threatened with knife
    Posted 6:36 PM, May 23, 2018, by Dusty Lane, Updated at 07:42PM, May 23, 2018
    SEATTLE – A man called 911 late Wednesday afternoon to report he had just shot another man on 8th Avenue NE in Seattle’s Northgate neighborhood, police said.

Officers arrived to find the shooter and the man he had shot, police said. The wounded man was rushed to Harborview Medical Center. His condition was not immediately known.

“The shooter told officers he had been approached by the victim who threatened him with a knife,” the Seattle Police Department blog report said. “The man then said he shot the victim, striking him four times.”

Officers searched the area and found a knife and a gun. Detectives were interviewing the man and will work with the prosecutor’s office to determine if any charges should be filed, police said.

http://txktoday.com/crime/woman-shoo...ly-assaulting/

Woman shoots and kills boyfriend who was allegedly assaulting her
    Field WalshMay 24, 2018
    Emergency Desktop
    Bowie County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after a woman shot her boyfriend early Thursday morning.

According to the Sheriff’s Office press release, around 5:29 a.m. a 911 call was received from a distraught female saying she was being assaulted by her boyfriend and she had just shot him.

Bowie County deputies dispatched to this shooting found a deceased male lying on the floor of the home when they arrived.

Deputies spoke with the female caller who was still at this residence in the 100 block of Parkway. She introduced herself as Tonya Barnett and told deputies the deceased male was her boyfriend Cecil Ellis Jr. According to Ms. Barnett, Mr. Ellis choked her to the point that she passed out while he was assaulting her. She picked up a handgun to protect herself when she regained consciousness.

Mr. Ellis allegedly continued his assault of Ms. Barnett and was shot during the confrontation.

According to the the press release it was obvious to the deputies who arrived on the scene that Mr. Ellis had succumbed to his injuries prior to their arrival.

Judge Nancy Talley ordered Mr. Ellis’ body be sent off for an autopsy. The results of this autopsy are pending. Ms. Barnett sought medical evaluation and treatment for injuries she received during this assault. She was treated and released by a doctor.

According the the release Ms. Barnett has been fully cooperative with investigators during this investigation. No arrests have been as Ms. Barnett’s statement to investigators indicates this could be a case of self-defense.

The investigation into Mr. Ellis’ death is active and ongoing.

http://www.thereporteronline.com/gen...shooting-death

Jury acquits Hatfield man of manslaughter in partygoer’s shooting death
    By Carl Hessler Jr., chessler@21st-centurymedia.com, @MontcoCourtNews on Twitter
    Updated: 54 secs ago
    Derrick Cosby
    NORRISTOWN >> A Hatfield Township man wiped tears from his eyes as a Montgomery County jury acquitted him of a manslaughter charge in connection with the fatal shooting of another man during a disturbance at a party at his home.

“I’m just pleased with the verdict. That’s pretty much it, I’m pleased with the verdict,” Derrick Jason Cosby reacted on Thursday as he left the courtroom surrounded by his wife and children who cried tears of relief.

The jury of seven women and five men deliberated about 2½ hours before acquitting Cosby, 43, of the 2400 block of East Orvilla Road, of charges of voluntary manslaughter and possessing an instrument of crime in connection with the 11:45 p.m. July 22, 2017, shooting death of Jeremy Chasteen, 31, during a party at Cosby’s home and while Chasteen was involved in a heated argument with his wife, Felicia.

Upon learning about the jury’s decision, Felicia Chasteen ran from the courthouse, followed by a family member, sobbing and obviously distraught about the jury’s decision.

“Like I always said from the beginning, it was a tragic situation for everybody, for the victims, for my client as well,” defense lawyer Edward M. Galang said after the verdict was announced. “The primary issue was the Castle Doctrine on protecting the home.”

The verdict came within 20 minutes after jurors asked Judge Todd D. Eisenberg to re-read to them the so-called “castle law,” which essentially dictates that deadly force can be used, in certain circumstances, to defend oneself against an intruder in their own home.

During the trial, Galang argued the shooting was justified. Galang suggested Cosby had “a reasonable belief” that Chasteen’s wife, Felicia, and others at the party were in danger of “imminent death or serious bodily injury.”

“It started out as a celebration. It ended in a tragedy. He (Cosby) believed Felicia Chasteen’s life was in danger. There’s no question he used deadly force. I suggest to you, ladies and gentlemen, that was reasonable,” Galang argued during his closing statement to jurors.

Assistant District Attorney Richard H. Bradbury Jr. argued the fatal shooting of Chasteen was not legally justified. A forensic pathologist testified the fatal gunshot to Chasteen’s head was “fired at close range” and Bradbury alleged Chasteen was “executed” by Cosby.

An autopsy determined Chasteen suffered a gunshot wound to the “left side of the head just above the ear” and the bullet exited the right side of the head, damaging the brain and skull.

Testimony revealed Chasteen was unarmed.

Cosby was hosting a picnic and party at his Orvilla Road home in recognition of his son’s return from a Navy assignment. Chasteen was an invited guest, along with his wife and their six children.

During four days of testimony, jurors heard different versions about what happened at the party and had to weigh the credibility of the eyewitnesses to determine the facts.

Party attendees who were called by the defense testified Chasteen, who was about 6-feet tall and weighed 315 pounds, was enraged and was beating and choking his wife and that they believed Chasteen was going to kill her.

“I think he’s on the brink of killing her,” Cosby, a U.S. Navy veteran and former military police officer, testified when he stepped into the witness box on Thursday. “The situation escalated so quickly. I was in fear for his wife’s life.”

Cosby testified that after dark he had begun carrying his unloaded Glock 30 .45-caliber handgun in a concealed manner at the party.

“It gives me peace of mind for one. It gives me security, for my own safety,” Cosby told jurors, claiming when he saw Chasteen becoming violent he went to his bedroom and loaded a magazine into his Glock firearm and returned to the family room.

Cosby testified he observed Chasteen “pushing through people” in an attempt to get at his wife.

“He was going to hit his wife. That’s when I shot him. I was afraid for her. I really thought he was going to kill her,” said Cosby, testifying he ordered Chasteen to leave his home several times but Chasteen did not comply. “The guy was so big, you couldn’t stop him.”

One of Cosby’s final comments to jurors was, “If I could put you in my shoes…”

While Felicia Chasteen testified her husband gripped her on the back of her neck to try to guide her out of the house as they argued about who was going to drive home from the party, she claimed her husband never struck her and did not strangle or choke her, as defense witnesses suggested.

When the argument spilled over into Cosby’s family room and other guests were separating the couple, according to Felicia Chasteen, “Next thing I know I heard a gun pop.”

Detectives testified they observed no signs of injury to Mrs. Chasteen, albeit a scratch on the back of her neck. A detective said there were no signs she was choked or struck on the face or arms.

Bradbury argued Cosby’s use of deadly force was not warranted under the law because no one at the party was in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury. The police station was less than a mile away and Cosby could have called for help, Bradbury argued.

“Did Jeremy Chasteen need to die?” Bradbury asked jurors during his closing statement, alleging Cosby shot Chasteen without a warning. “Nothing’s stopping anybody, if this is truly a kill or be killed situation, from calling police. We know conclusively that Jeremy Chasteen did not need to die.

“This isn’t the wild west. This isn’t 1800s Montana,” Bradbury argued.

An investigation began when Cosby placed a 911 call and informed the dispatcher “there was a domestic situation” and that he had shot someone, according to the criminal complaint filed by county Detective John Wittenberger and Hatfield Township Detective John Ciarlello. Arriving officers found Chasteen dead in the first-floor family room of Cosby’s residence.

Page 137 of 339 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast