Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Remarms Closing Plant

Nearly 200-Year-Old Gun Factory Shutting Down
    The news was not welcomed by local union officials.

By Ben Munson, Unit 202 Productions, Alex Shanahan
    Dec 5, 2023

RemArms, the gun maker behind the Remington brand, has decided to shut down its manufacturing facility in Ilion, New York.

RemArms anticipates the plant will close in March 2024, according to a letter sent to union officials that was obtained by the Observer-Dispatch. The closure will bring to end a long relationship between Remington and the small upstate New York town. The company has been making firearms in Ilion since 1816 and, according to Fox 5, the factory has been around in some form since 1828.

In its letter, the company cited several reasons for closing down operations at the Ilion facility. It said the facility requires “excess” handling during production due to its multi-building, multi-story layout. The company also said it’s expensive to run a steam plant with nearly one million square feet of space while facing high costs for maintenance and insurance for buildings that are more than 100 years old.

The news was not welcomed by local union officials.

United Mine Workers President Cecil E. Roberts called the move “extremely disappointing” and a “slap in the face,” considering the holidays are coming up. He said “Merry Christmas from RemArms. The workers in Ilion enabled RemArms to rise from the ashes of the Remington Arms bankruptcy in 2020-21. Without these workers and their dedication to producing the best firearms in the world, this company simply would not exist.”

The Remington parent company has filed for bankruptcy twice in the past few years. The financial woes in part stem from a lawsuit filed against the company by the families of the Sandy Hook victims. In 2012, a shooter used a Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle to kill 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut.

In 2022, RemArms settled with the families for $73 million.

https://www.ien.com/operations/video...801H7472378B9Z

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Remarms Closing Plant

Another NY town going to become a ghost town. Sucks to be them.

(Northumberland County)

Sad, but why would you stay in such a gun and business averse state when you could move (south?) and probably get cheaper labor, better political support and a shit ton of tax incentives?

I'm assuming there will be a move/transition involved at some point, if the business is to keep going

(Clarion County)

*RemArms is excited to expand our facilities in Georgia, a state that not only welcomes business but enthusiastically supports and welcomes companies in the firearms industry.*
    "November 2021 press release from Georgia governor Brian Kemp*s office announcing that RemArms would be moving its global headquarters to LaGrange, Georgia, and building an advanced manufacturing facility there, as well."
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/rem...ew-york-plant/

edit: just realized that press release was from 21. Bad enough I'm loosing track of what day it is but damn, now getting lost in the years!!lol
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

There should be a law for something like this. The left brags about creating jobs (fake news).
    They should start bragging about how many business' they destroy and how many people they put out of work.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    There should be a law for something like this. The left brags about creating jobs (fake news).
    They should start bragging about how many business' they destroy and how many people they put out of work.
    But those are MAGA jobs they destroy, no one cares..
    SigGendered

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    i would have to imagine that there are leftists that would brag about shutting down businesses they deemed bad, regardless if it causes a loss in jobs.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    i would have to imagine that there are leftists that would brag about shutting down businesses they deemed bad, regardless if it causes a loss in jobs.
    david hog is probably dancing a jig as we type but Ilion is out near Utica and might well be in Trump country. It sounds like the age of the facilities is a big part of the problem as it often is with old, northern companies. Back in the '80s when I was running OTR, it was obvious that most northern factories were in repurposed, dilapidated facilities while those in the south were in new, built to their specs buildings.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

I always think of theat catchy saying "you reap what you sow" hope the officals are happy

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt View Post
    I always think of theat catchy saying "you reap what you sow" hope the officals are happy
    including union officials...
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast