Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 181 of 339 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231281 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

https://www.examiner.org/news/100449...with-homeowner

Burglary suspect apprehended after confrontation with homeowner
    Written by THE BELLEFONTAINE EXAMINER STAFFAugust 20, 2018
    Mark A. Fry, 52, of Roundhead, was charged with two counts of burglary Sunday after he reportedly attempted to enter a residence on Township Road 250, Lakeview, that morning.

Deputies of the Logan County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to the residence about 8:50 a.m. on a report of an attempted burglary. The resident reported that he caught a shirtless suspect attempting to burglarize the home.

When deputies arrived, the resident told them that he was sleeping and security sensors at the home alerted him about 8:43 a.m. about a possible intruder, later identified as Fry.

The resident said he got up and armed himself with a handgun and investigated. He found Fry in his breezeway, and said the suspect offered to return a battery charger that he had stolen and then attempted to flee.

The resident said he held the suspect at gunpoint, and there was a struggle between himself and Fry.

The defendant reportedly struck the resident’s arm, and the resident in turn struck Fry in the face with the handgun, causing injury to his nose.

The suspect then ran to his vehicle and the resident fired the handgun at the vehicle’s tires. Fry was able to drive away, and he was located shortly thereafter by Hardin County deputies at his residence. Deputies observed that he had sustained facial injuries. He was placed under arrest and transported to the Logan County Jail.

At Fry’s residence, deputies located an air compressor belonging to the victim, who reported he had been burglarized several times this month and recently had installed the security system. He said the air compressor was stolen Aug. 4, and also missing from his residence was a microwave that had been stolen from his breezeway Aug. 1.

https://news3lv.com/news/local/video...h-woman-inside

Video shows man trying to break into west Las Vegas home with woman inside
    LAS VEGAS (AP) —

A homeowner calls it a moment of terror after realizing someone was trying to break into her home.

The attempted break-in happened Thursday night on the west side of town, near Palmyra Avenue and Montessouri Street.

Debbie Collins was home alone when she heard a loud crash and then her dogs started barking and acting unusual.

Collins grabbed her gun and went to the front door, where she found her glass door shattered.

"I was terrified, I mean absolutely terrified," Collins said. "I mean, my gosh, he was that close to me."

When she looked at her camera system, she saw a man with his face completely covered tampering with her front door.

She believes the sound of her dogs barking scared him off.

Collins says if he would've made it inside, her firearm was locked and loaded.

"I'm glad I had it, I mean the safety was off and I was ready to go," said Collins.

According to Collins, her home and several of her neighbor's homes' have been broken into this year.

According to LVMPD's crime mapping website, CrimeMapping.com, it shows 20 reported burglaries in her area in the past seven days.

LVMPD says they've received 7,678 burglary calls this year. It's an alarming number, but it's actually down 4.6% from this time last year, when it was 8,051.

Retired LVMPD Detective Phil Ramos says the valley tends to see more burglaries because so many people are just passing through town.

"A lot of people think they can get away with crimes because they think since they're not known in the community, they can come in do a home invasion get out of town and go hide in the masses somewhere,” Ramos said.

Collins says the burglaries have actually brought her and her neighbors closer together.

"We are more vigilant, we text each other, we're on the NextDoor app,” Collins said.

According to RING doorbell home security these are a few extra steps homeowners can take to protect themselves and their property:

Keep your house visible from the street by trimming hedges and trees that could provide cover for burglars.
    Keep your home looking occupied when you are away from your home, utilizing smart lights and other technology.
    Adopt a dog - the larger the better! This audible protection is a large deterrent of criminals.
    Visible surveillance equipment and cameras to your home, including an alarm system, to deter criminals.
    Almost 100% of burglaries start at the front door. Protect your front door with a video doorbell or motion-detecting camera.
    Add security cameras around your home for total coverage.
    Invest in solid doors and windows with solid locking mechanisms, always locking them when you are away.
    Secure your valuables in a safe or otherwise secure location, away from the master bedroom - most burglars head straight for the master bedroom.
    Recently burgled houses are more vulnerable to future crimes. If your house is robbed, upgrade your security system to prevent repeat crimes.
    Crime thrives in secrecy - if you see something, share something. Encourage your Neighbors to install the free Neighbors app by Ring to take part in reporting crime and safety issues to their local community.

https://ktul.com/news/local/armed-wo...asion-burglars

Armed woman fights off 2 home invasion burglars

ROGERS COUNTY, Okla. (KTUL) -- A home invasion turned bad for the two men breaking in.

Sheriff Scott Walton said a woman was house sitting at a home just of west of Inola when Jeffrey Stevenson and Jeffrey Lyon tried to break in.

As she was calling 911, Lyon got inside the home and tried to get the gun she was armed with but she fought back, hitting him in the face.

“There was a challenge there for the weapon,” said Walton. "She was able to retain the weapon."

A neighbor heard the commotion and went to help the woman.

She handed the neighbor her gun, and they fired a warning shot at Lyon, but he already jumped out of a window.

Lyon then headed toward the neighbor so the neighbor fired two more warning shots before Lyon stopped.

Inola police and Rogers County sheriff’s deputies showed up shortly after and tried to take Lyon into custody, having to use force to stop him.

Stevenson, the second suspect, also resisted arrest. Walton said he headbutted a deputy.

Stevenson was tased twice before he was taken into custody.

“These guys are very fortunate,” said Walton. “They are fortunate to not be dead right now. Especially the intruder that was coming in.”

The sheriff said he believes the two men were under the influence of something.

No one was hurt in the situation.

“I’m certain the lady would have been well in her rights had she emptied that gun on somebody who was trying to take it away from her when she was trying to defend herself in a residence that she had legal right to,” said Walton.

Patsy York lives nearby.

“It’s been a wonderful neighborhood,” said York.

York said she’s proud of that woman for defending herself and said many out here would do the same.

“I have went to bed before with a baseball bat, because I don’t mind hitting somebody if they are trying to attack me,” said York.

She even keeps an ice pick near her bed for protection.

“Nobody is going to be able to attack me without me hitting them with something,” she said. “I’m not going to let somebody beat the heck out of me and not fight back. Even if it kills me, I’m going to fight back, like she did.”

Both men face a number of felony charges.

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/No-...491298301.html

No charges in fatal shooting at Castle Point apartments

ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind. (WNDU) The woman who shot and killed a man at the Castle Point apartment complex won't be charged, according to the St. Joseph County Prosecutor's Office.

Officers were dispatched to a reported home invasion at around 8 p.m. on July 27.

Police found 27-year-old Titus Ellington lying in the apartment with a gunshot wound to his abdomen. He was rushed to a local hospital, where he later died.

The St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Unit (CMHU) was activated, per protocol, to handle the investigation. Investigators found that the door to the apartment was splintered, and they say debris from the door was strewn about.

The woman who lived in the apartment told investigators that she and Ellington had been in a relationship but that it had ended.

According to the Prosecutor's Office, "She further stated that she had advised Mr. Ellington that he was no longer welcome at the apartment and placed his remaining personal property in the trunk of a car. She advised us that when Mr. Ellington called her, she told him that his property was in the car and that he was not welcome in the apartment.

"The resident advised us that a short time later, Mr. Ellington came over to the apartment and demanded entry. She refused him, reminding Mr. Ellington that his property was in the car and accessible to him without approaching the apartment. Fearing for her safety, she retrieved her handgun. Mr. Ellington then broke the door and came toward her. He then began striking her. She stated that she then shot him, defending herself."

An autopsy was conducted, and a forensic pathologist determined Titus Ellington’s cause of death to be a single gunshot wound to the abdomen.

The shooting was found to be a justifiable homicide in self-defense. The woman will not be charged, and her name has not been released.

This is different, but it sounds like the guy having a gun saved his girlfriends and child’s life even though he died.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/a...ts-gunbattle-/

Victim's girlfriend recounts Little Rock gunbattle
    She tells jury of firing at assailant in ’16

By John LynchPosted: August 21, 2018 at 4:30 a.m.
    With her boyfriend dead next to her, her toddler son screaming and bullets flying through their bedroom door, Alexis Symone Davis picked up the man's gun, returned fire at a mysterious assailant and didn't stop shooting until the pistol stopped working, she told a Pulaski County jury on Monday.

The 23-year-old Bryant woman was wounded in the June 2016 gunfire at the former Valley Heights apartments at 6900 Cantrell Road in Little Rock. Her 3-year-old son was shot in the stomach but survived.

Stay connected and informed with NWADG.com news updates delivered to your inbox.

Her boyfriend, 22-year-old Cordarelle Collins, died from a bullet that pierced his lungs and heart.

Davis said Collins managed to fire a single shot at their attacker before succumbing to his wounds and dropping the gun that she ended up using. Davis testified that she never saw the shooter.

Davis spent about 30 minutes on the witness stand testifying against Denzell Terrell Braud, the man authorities have identified as the unseen gunman and who is charged with capital murder and first-degree battery.

Braud, 25, was well known to both Davis and Collins because he was dating Collins' mother and living in the apartment with all four of them, deputy prosecutor Michelle Quiller said in her opening statement.

Prosecutors are seeking a life sentence for the New Orleans native. Proceedings before Pulaski County Circuit Judge Chris Piazza resume at 10:30 a.m. today.

Defense attorney Lott Rolfe asked jurors to look at the evidence with a skeptical eye, calling on them to set aside the emotions they would feel, particularly about the wounded child.

Braud was the victim of a "rush to judgment" by both police and prosecutors, he said.

"Don't forget the standard before you today," Rolfe said "The state has to prove each and every charge beyond a reasonable doubt."

The first witness to testify, police officer Troy Dillard, was the first one on the scene. He told jurors that while clearing the residence for possible assailants, he found the whimpering and bleeding boy on the closet floor where Davis had hidden him when the gunfire broke out.

A tearful Davis could not bring herself Monday to look at police photographs of the boy, Khiry Davis, in his hospital bed.

She testified that the gunfire was a complete surprise. She had been awakened by Collins' phone ringing about an hour after sunrise, she said. The caller was his mother, and Collins immediately got dressed, saying he had to go pick the woman up.

The shooting started almost as soon as Collins walked out of their bedroom, Davis told jurors.

Questioned by deputy prosecutor Ashley Clancy, Davis described what authorities said were Collins' final words, addressed to his killer, a man the family called N.O., given his Louisiana heritage.

"I heard Cordell saying, 'Why you shooting me, N.O.? Don't shoot me, N.O,'" Davis said, telling jurors that she only knew Braud as N.O. until he was arrested.

Fleeing the barrage of bullets, the wounded Collins ran into the bedroom with his hands outstretched for his gun, which Davis said she got out of the closet. She said she put her son in the closet.

"I grabbed the gun and handed it to him," she said. "He fired one shot and fell down and died. I picked it up and started shooting back."

Davis said she could have fired as many as eight shots, testifying that she pulled the trigger until the weapon "jammed up."

Collins' mother, Sharonda Franklin, told jurors that she and Braud had been together six or seven years, and that most of that time was pretty good.

But his behavior had taken a sinister turn since his mother died in October 2015. The week before the shooting, Braud pulled a gun on her, accusing her of cheating on him, and told her there was only one reason he didn't kill her, Franklin testified.

"He said the only thing saving me was my grandchildren," she said.

The night Collins was shot, Braud had also accused her of being unfaithful, apparently sparked by something he saw on TV, Franklin told jurors.

"Something came on TV and ... he just flipped out," she said, describing how a muttering Braud took her phone and was deleting photographs of himself from it.

Feeling "the same kind of vibe" as the night he had threatened her with a gun, Franklin said she left their bedroom on the pretext of getting a drink of water.

Then she walked out of the apartment, taking nothing with her and meandering from Cantrell Road to the Kroger at Markham and Rodney Parham streets.

"I didn't know where I was going to go. I just had to get away," Franklin said. "I just had to get away from him."

The clerk at the Phillips 66 Superstop store on North Rodney Parham let her use the store phone to call her son to come get her, but he never arrived, Franklin said.

"I knew something was wrong when my son didn't come [right away]," she told jurors. "Something took my breath away, and I knew something was wrong."

One of the state's key witnesses, neighbor Dennis Driskill, lashed out at defense attorney Alicia Walton-Middleton while she was questioning him about what he told police.

Driskill said he saw a man he later identified as Braud go into the Franklin apartment, then heard a blast of gunfire a few minutes later. Driskill said he saw the same man, with two guns, fleeing the apartment.

Driskill bristled at Walton-Middleton's exacting questioning as she went over his police statement point by point. He took particular umbrage to her assertion that he had seen two different men that morning, not just one.

"I can't remember what I told officers two years ago. I don't have that kind of memory. I'm sorry," the witness snapped. "You keep insisting this is two different men. I didn't say that, you did."

The judge briefly halted the proceedings and sent jurors out of the room at Driskill's outburst. The judge told Driskill to get himself under control, then called jurors back in after a few minutes.

http://www.newson6.com/story/3892674...-west-of-tulsa

Tulsa County Homeowner Fires Shots At Burglary Suspects, TCSO Says
    Posted: Aug 21, 2018 8:13 AM EDT

TULSA COUNTY, Oklahoma -
    Deputies are investigating an attempted burglary and shots fired in west Tulsa County early Tuesday.

The sheriff's office says a homeowner saw the suspects on his video surveillance system breaking into a shipping container on his property near Cameron and 49th West Avenue. The man went out to confront them around 6:30 a.m. and saw one of the men had a gun.

The homeowner told deputies the two men were using a blowtorch to break into the container.

Deputies says the homeowner then fired two shots at the men as they got into a truck and drove away. One of the men was wearing jeans, a T-shirt and a hat while the other was dressed in a pinstripe Zoot suit, according to Deputy Justin Green.

One from Pa, hopefully no one here. I seem to recall a few people who have had problems with neighbors. I do wish that articles would not call people who get shot while assaulting others the “victim”.

https://triblive.com/local/valleynew...-with-neighbor

Indiana Township man shot during fight with neighbor
    Brian C. Rittmeyer
    Updated 20 hours ago

A 54-year-old man was in critical condition Monday morning after being shot during a fight with a neighbor in Indiana Township, according to Allegheny County Police.

Indiana Township police and paramedics went to the 100 block of Berryhill Road at about 7 a.m. after a shooting was reported there. Responding officers found a man shot in the abdomen.

Police said the shooting victim had been driving his truck on Berryhill Road when he encountered his neighbor, who was also driving along the road. The shooting victim and his neighbor, also 54, have a history of arguing with each other, police said.

The shooting victim got out of his truck and assaulted his neighbor and damaged the neighbor’s vehicle. It was during the alleged assault that the victim was shot, police said.

Police said the shooter stayed on the scene and called 911 to report the incident.

Police did not identify either man involved.

The shooter was taken into custody, but police said no charges would be filed at this time. An investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the county police tipline at 833-255-8477. Callers can remain anonymous.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/ne...ay/1054908002/

Naked man shot while trying to enter home in Iron County, officials say
    A naked man who tried to enter a house in Iron County was shot at four times by a person in the home Tuesday afternoon, officials said.

Iron County sheriff's officials responded to a call of a burglary in progress near 4100 South and 17800 West (Old Iron Town Road) at 12:39 p.m., Cedar City police said.

The caller said an unknown man had been shot multiple times while attempting to enter the house near the Old Iron Town ruins, police said.

Deputies were on the scene within minutes and found the suspect naked and injured, according to Lt. Dell Schlosser of the Iron County Sheriff's Office. The suspect was non-compliant and then taken into custody. Gold Cross Ambulance treated the man at the scene for multiple gunshot wounds. He was then taken by Life Flight helicopter to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, Schlosser said.

The suspect, who officials said is in his mid-20s, had been identified, but authorities were not releasing his name at this time.

The investigators were questioning the man and woman who were inside the house at the time of the incident. Schlosser would not say which occupant of the house was the caller or which was the shooter.

No charges have been filed at this time. The investigation is ongoing.

https://kdvr.com/2018/08/20/man-with...y-after-crash/

Knife-wielding man attacks driver, causes Greyhound bus to crash in Fountain
    Posted 8:24 pm, August 20, 2018, by Web Staff, Updated at 08:45AM, August 21, 2018
    FOUNTAIN, Colo. — A knife-wielding man was taken into a custody after a Greyhound bus headed to Denver crashed on Monday night, the Fountain Police Department said.

The crash happened about 7 p.m. on northbound Interstate 25 close to the South Academy overpass, police said.

Bus crash involving a Greyhound bus on Monday, Aug. 20, 2018. (Photos: Fountain Police Department)
    Police said 47-year-old Edmundo Arellanes-Audelo was threatening the driver and the other 26 passengers with a knife.

He gained access into the secured area of the bus and tried to attack the driver while purposely grabbing the steering wheel, causing it to crash.

Another passenger confronted Arellanes-Audelo, at which point the suspect broke out a window and got out of the bus.

After getting out, Arellanes-Audelo was confronted by a passerby, who was armed with a gun. After seeing the gun, Arellanes-Audelo dropped the knife and remained at the scene until law enforcement arrived.

Arellanes-Audelo was booked into the El Paso County Jail and has been charged with felony criminal mischief, hindering public transportation, felony menacing with a weapon, assault and wreckless endangerment.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...urt/1386896977

Intruder shot by man inside Raleigh home, police say
    RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) - Raleigh police responded to a shooting call that came in from Woodpecker Court after 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Officials said a man was transported to WakeMed.

Officials said the man was shot through a limb, and his injuries are non-life threatening.

Police later said the victim in the shooting turned out to be the suspect. The man is expected to survive and will face charges.

According to authorities, the man was shot by another man after he tried to get into the home.

Officials said the suspect knew the victim.

Raleigh police also responded to a separate shooting at the Knights Inn around the same time. A man was killed and a woman was hospitalized with serious injuries.

Page 181 of 339 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231281 ... LastLast