Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 58 of 339 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

3 today

McMinnville homeowner shoots, wounds intruder
    The intruder is expected to recover

http://koin.com/2017/10/15/mcminnvil...unds-intruder/
    McMINNVILLE, Ore. (KOIN) — An intruder was shot by a McMinnville homeowner early Sunday morning and will likely face charges after being medically evaluated.

The intruder broke into a home in the 1300 block of Gilorr Street, just south of Claremont, around 6 a.m. Sunday, McMinnville police told KOIN 6 News. The homeowner shot and wounded the intruder, who was taken to the hospital for treatment.

The intruder is expected to recover.

The Yamhill County District Attorney’s Office will review the case to determine if the homeowner will face charges.

Officials have not released the name of either the intruder or the homeowner.

KOIN 6 News will have more information later in the day.

4 today

Attempted burglary leads to shots fired

https://www.sbnewspaper.com/#/article/22342
    By Pete Banda
    Managing Editor
    editor@sbnewspaper.com

A San Benito man was arrested this past Monday, after the Cameron County Sherriff’s office say he attempted to break into a home on the outskirts of San Benito. Authorities arrived on the scene after reports of shots fired. According to Sherriff Omar Lucio, the shots originated from the home owners.
    Lucio stated that witnesses in the area saw a man running away from the house with the homeowner chasing him. Chief Deputy Gus Reyna said deputies arrested the man on suspicion of three misdemeanors and one felony.
    The Sheriff’s Office didn’t release the man’s name.
    In Texas, if a homeowner shoots an intruder, there is usually no charge brought against that individual. In this case, nobody was shot or seriously injured.

Tweet

5 today

Store clerk fired for defending himself with pistol

During an armed robbery

http://www.krdo.com/news/top-stories...stol/637298331
    Chase Golightly
    VIDEO Clerk speaks out after getting...
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A store clerk who defended himself with a pistol during an armed robbery is now without a job after getting fired for bringing a gun into the store.

Two weeks ago, Lee Satterthwaite was working the overnight shift at Wester Convenience store on Fillmore street in Colorado Springs when two armed suspects entered the store around 3 a.m. pointing their weapons at him demanding money. "Looking down the barrel of a gun that you know is wielded with hostile intent, is frightening," says Satterthwaite.

When he asked the suspects to not point their weapons at his face and they didn't listen, he drew his weapon. "They kept pointing their guns at my head, I stepped behind cover and drew my weapon."

The suspects were frightened by the gun. When Satterthwaite tried to grab one of the suspects weapons he was shot in the left arm. He says, "It felt like getting stabbed." The bullet went through his arm and out his elbow.

Both suspects escaped without Satterthwaite ever firing a shot. He was taken to the hospital for a minor injury and went back to work that same morning.

The night of the shooting was the first time Satterthwaite brought his pistol to work. After hearing of other robberies that happened that week at other Western Convenience Stores in Colorado Springs. One involving a clerk getting assaulted and taken to the hospital, the other involving an armed robbery where the suspect brought in a shotgun.

Two weeks later, Satterthwaite received a call from his manager saying he was fired for bringing a gun to work. Also, because of the shooting, the store says they are getting rid of the overnight shift and no longer needed him. He was shocked that he was fired for simply trying to defend himself.

"I accept the risks I understand working overnight at a gas station is dangerous," says Satterthwaite. "What I don't accept is a company that won't take care of those dangers for their employees and instead fires me for protecting myself."

He still has numbness in his left hand that doctors say should be healed in three months. He had to quit his classes at Pikes Peak Community College where he is studying to become a welder.

Still, Satterthwaite says he does not regret pulling out his gun to defend himself. "I didn't choose that robbery time, I didn't choose that location of being at work where I am not supposed to carry my gun. But, if I hadn't had it, I very well may have died."

Lee is now searching for work while taking care of both his parents and hopes to return to classes next semester. We reached out to Western Convenience's corporate office for comment but have not heard back.

Man Claims Self-Defense in Fatal East Side Shooting
    The man told police he shot and killed the victim during an attempted robbery early Sunday morning.

http://www.wibc.com/news/local-news/...-side-shooting
    INDIANAPOLIS -- A person was shot and killed early Sunday morning and the man who fired the fatal shots is claiming self-defense.

Officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were called to Bavarian West Drive around 3:30 a.m. Sunday and found a man shot. Efforts to to revive the man were unsuccessful.

Police temporarily arrested a man at the scene; he was released from police custody after explaining that he shot the victim in self-defense.

Officers tell WIBCnews-gathering partner RTV6 that the man will be treated as a witness rather than a suspect.

The identity of the deceased man has not been released.

Anyone with information should call CrimeStoppers at (317) 262-TIPS.
    (Photo by RTV6.)

2 for today

Man Tries To Break Into House, Homeowner Responds (Photo)

http://www.americanow.com/story/crim...responds-photo
    A Hays County, Texas, homeowner shot an intruder who attempted to break into her home and rob her.

The Hays County Sheriff's Office said that the homeowner was inside her house when she spotted a stranger get out of a car and approach her door. The man then moved to handle of the front door in an attempt to enter the house, but he couldn't open it. He then got into the house through the kitchen by opening the garage door.

When he got inside, 25-year-old Randall Thomas Dorsett was met by the homeowner, who was armed with a handgun. The woman told Dorsett several times to leave, and reportedly became afraid of the man and his intentions towards her and her children. She shot the intruder and hit him in the abdomen, KEYE reported.

Dorsett was taken to the hospital after authorities arrived, where he was treated for his "through and through" gunshot wound. The man was set to be arrested and charge with burglary of a habitation once he was released from the hospital.

Many readers applauded the homeowner for taking action against the intruder.

"He deserves NO sympathy and tons of jail time. Some thugs just think it is there right to break in and take things that they did not work for. If she had aimed a little higher he would not be around to share his story," one Mad World News reader commented on the site's Facebook page.

"Perfect example of WHY 2nd amendent is so vitaly important today. when you life is only seconds away from ending the COPS are only MINUTES away,sadly thats a fact," another wrote.

"Remember to all of the non gun people it takes police a long time to respond through no fault of their own not enough not in all places protect yourself," another added.

"Its really sad he has mental problems .but I had incident I was scared to death with a relative being someone very close thank god I didn't do anything. Everything turned out ok .thank god but you .don't know what could happen .if its a stranger and u had no gun for protection," another reader commented.

Some readers particularly praised the mother for protecting her children.

"Thank the Lord you were able to protect you and yours," one reader commented.

"You do not mess a mama with a loaded gun ever, and you don't go into private property," another wrote.

"U go mom.. An to ignorant ppl you know anti gun....this is only one example why ee keep our guns to protect our families," another added.
    Last edited by internet troll; October 16th, 2017 at 11:39 AM.

3 for today

Fayetteville couple escapes from home invasion suspect

http://www.4029tv.com/article/fayett...spect/13021739
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. —
    Jerry and Lou Moore are safe in their home on River Meadow Dr. after an incident that sounds like something out of the movies.

Alexis Cox, Moore's daughter, spoke exclusively to 40/29 News about the incident.

"My dad was standing in the driveway when a man approached him," said Cox. "He was wearing a mask, so all you could see were his eyes."

Cox explained that the suspect demanded large sums of money from Moore, forcing him inside his home at gunpoint. Once inside the home, the suspect took Lou Moore's arm, and dragged her into a car with her husband.

"He told my parents, if you flee, I will shoot you. If you crash on purpose, I will shoot you," said Cox. "Fortunately, my dad has a gun license and had just moved a gun into the car a few days earlier."

That's when the story takes a turn.

"The man was in the back seat of the car, my parents in front, when all of a sudden he starts screaming for his phone," Cox stated. During the commotion, Jerry Moore, reached for his gun.

"The man must have heard the safety click, because he lunged at my dad and started biting his arms as hard as he could," Cox exclaimed. "The man's hands were on my dad's, trying to get control of the gun. My dad was able to adjust his hands and shoot the man, then threw him out of the car."

Sgt. Anthony Murphy with the Fayetteville police department said that's when they got the call of a shooting.

"The victims left the scene and called 9-1-1," said Murphy. Cox added that her parents were going straight to urgent care to treat Jerry's bite wounds.

Fayetteville police have not released the identity of the suspect at this time, but told 40/29 News he is in serious condition at the hospital. No arrests have been made at this time, and the investigation is still on going.

4 today

Keizer dog walker who shot pit bull-type dog will not be cited, charged

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/stor...ged/768189001/
    The man who shot and killed a pit bull-type dog while walking his dog Saturday in Keizer will not face citations or charges.

He was walking his leashed 3-year-old Springer Spaniel northbound in the 6100 block of River Road North when he saw two loose dogs break into a trot from a wooded area immediately adjacent to the field he was walking in around 2 p.m.

One of the dogs, later identified as an 18-month old pit bull-type dog named Ezekiel, started running toward the man and his dog.

He told an investigating officer he verbally ordered the dog "stop," "stay" and "get back." When the dog failed to stop and continued running, he unholstered his .45 caliber handgun and shot the dog. It is unknown how many shots were fired.

After the dog was shot, another man emerged from the nearby treeline, ran toward the man and yelled at him for shooting his dog. Witnesses described the man identified as Ezekiel's owner as being upset after the shooting. Police didn't identify either of the men involved.

Ezekiel's owner told the investigating officer he heard the dog walker "yell 'no' several times" before shooting the dog. Kuhns said Ezekiel's owner was living in a homeless camp in the wooded area behind the treeline.

The dog walker told police he felt threatened when the dog continued to run and lunged at the man in an aggressive manner. A witness told the investigating officer the dog walker looked "devastated" after shooting the dog.

Discharging a firearm within the city limits is prohibited in Keizer. But it "can be justifiable and not criminal when that conduct is necessary as an emergency measure to avoid an imminent public or private injury," Kuhns said.

Allowing a dog to run at large in Marion County is a civil infraction.

BRPD: Baton Rouge man out walking dog fatally shot after arguing, brandishing gun and charging at homeowner

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...d84cf4f70.html
    As far as Joyce Matthews knew, her son Clayton Bradford was walking his dog and stopping at the store Sunday night. Less than an hour later, friends knocked on her door and told her Bradford had been shot and killed in a nearby subdivision.

A homeowner fatally shot Bradford, 26, after Brock brandished a firearm and charged at him, Baton Rouge Police Department spokesman Sgt. Don Coppola Jr. said Monday. The shooting occurred in the homeowner's yard, about 9 p.m. Sunday in the 12000 block of West Brock Place in north Baton Rouge, after an argument between the two men, Coppola said.

Bradford, 12206 Littlewoods Drive, died at the scene. Coppola said the shooter, 36, has cooperated with police. No arrests have been made in the shooting, which remains under investigation, he said.

Matthews, 63, said she doesn’t know the shooter and wasn’t aware her son had any connection to him. Bradford lived with his mother and older brother.

“I’m just waiting for more information,” she said quietly while standing outside her home Monday afternoon. “He walks the dog a lot in that area, sometimes at night. … He was supposed to go to the store. I don’t know if he took a shortcut” through the 12000 block of West Brock Place.

Matthews said she found Bradford’s German shepherd, Jason, loose and alone outside her house later that night and assumed the dog had found its way back home after the shooting.

She said Bradford helped her take care of his older brother, who is disabled. The family has lived on Littlewoods Drive north of Scotlandville for about the past 10 years, she said.

Matthews described her younger son as low key and friendly. “Sometimes he would try to act like the other guys … and that bothered me, but mostly everybody liked him,” she said. “I can’t believe something like this would happen.”

2 for today

Hesperia homeowner shoots intruder; suspect airlifted in critical condition

http://www.vvng.com/hesperia-homeown...cal-condition/
    HESPERIA, Calif. (VVNG.com) Deputies are investigating after a homeowner shot an intruder Monday evening, according to Sergeant Hubbard of the Hesperia Police Station.

The incident was reported on the 7200 block of Kern Avenue near Ranchero Road in Hesperia after dispatched received calls of shots fired.

“At about 10:30 this evening, our deputies responded to a report of a burglary in progress at a residence here on Kern [Avenue]. The deputies arrived to find a male subject down suffering from several gunshots,” Sgt. Hubbard told Victor Valley News.

“Through interviews of the residents there at the location, the deputies determined that a male subject, the subject that had been shot, approached the residence, the homeowner and his family were inside the residence sleeping [and] were awoken by the door being forced open by the subject,” Hubbard said.

The homeowner, a male, engaged in a confrontation at the front door with the subject then was able to retrieve a firearm from inside the residence and shoot the suspect, officials confirmed.

The intruder was airlifted to a trauma center with serious injuries. However, the condition of the suspect is unknown at this time.
    A man was placed in handcuffs at the residence where the shooting occurred, however, Sheriff’s officials confirmed he was not the intruder, but did not confirm why he was being detained.
    The cul-de-sac where the house is located at is expected to remain closed for several hours while investigators process the scene.

3 today

Burlington cleaver attack: Husband accused of killing wife, injuring mother-in-law

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...her/759813001/
    A 34-year-old Burlington man just released from the hospital after seeking a mental-health evaluation over concerns about his relationship with his wife returned home Thursday afternoon and killed her with a cleaver on the sidewalk out front, police say.

The man's mother-in-law suffered severe injuries in the assault, which ended when an armed bystander detained the suspect until officers arrived, police Chief Brandon del Pozo said.
    The accused is Aita Gurung of 72 Hyde St., the Old North End address where the attack took place, del Pozo said in a statement Thursday night. Gurung was in custody. It was not immediately clear whether he had a lawyer.

He is expected to be arraigned Friday morning in Vermont Superior Court in Burlington. Jail records show Gurung was being held Thursday night on suspicion of second-degree murder and attempted murder.

Slain was Gurung's wife, identified by police as 32-year-old Yogeswari Khadka. Her mother, Tulasa Rimal, 54, remained in critical condition Thursday night at the University of Vermont Medical Center, a hospital spokesman said at 8:25 p.m.

Gurung's and Khadka's 8-year-old child was at school at the time and was unhurt, the chief said.

Gurung had called the police Saturday to seek attention "for mental health issues and concerns about his deteriorating relationship with his wife," del Pozo said.

Police called an ambulance, and Gurung was brought to the UVM hospital. His father-in-law told police Gurung "was voluntarily admitted for a mental health evaluation. Upon his request, he was discharged today," del Pozo said Thursday night.

The attack began at about 2:30 p.m. in the kitchen of 72 Hyde St. and spilled out onto the street. Khadka suffered wounds to her skull, arms and hands, the chief said. Rimal suffered severe head injuries, del Pozo added.

Once the attack spilled outside, neighbors tried to intervene, "including a man armed with a firearm who held the suspect at bay momentarily, but they were wary of being attacked themselves," del Pozo said.

"A team of officers approached Gurung and used the cover of a ballistic shield to take him into custody."

The front door of the gray, two-story clapboard house with a small porch remained ajar at 6 p.m. Thursday. At least three uniformed Burlington police officers and three marked cruisers remained at the scene. Later, around 7:30 p.m., the Vermont State Police's crime scene command post vehicle arrived.

A bicycle lay on the pavement directly in front of the home, and a pink helmet decorated with bright flowers dangled from the handlebars. Just south of the bike, where the driveway crossed the sidewalk, what appeared to be discarded medical supplies were strewn on the ground.

Neighbors stood on porches and balconies nearby and watched as the scene darkened after sunset. Police turned on the blue lights of their cruisers. An officer arrived with cups of coffee.

People out for a walk gathered on the corner of Hyde and Pomeroy streets to talk about what happened. How many people had been killed? One? Two? Was there a suspect?

"Did you guys hear anything? I heard somebody got killed with a meat cleaver," one woman said after pedaling up to the group on her bicycle.

"Yeah, that's what happened," a man responded

Page 58 of 339 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast