Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 271 of 339 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281321 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

One from South Africa

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...ak-in-31093179

Off-duty officer kills crowbar gang suspect during attempted break-in
    Saafia February/Daily Voice

A police officer shot and killed one of five suspects who allegedly tried to enter his home, in what is believed to be a crowbar gang attack.
    Cape Town - A police officer shot and killed one of five suspects who allegedly tried to enter his home, in what is believed to be a crowbar gang attack, on Monday afternoon.

The off-duty officer heard footsteps in the backyard of his Site C, Khayelitsha home and followed the sound to a room. When he looked out of the open window, he saw four men, apparently all armed with guns and break-in implements.

One of the suspects were already inside the room, but the cop didn’t immediately see him.

A police source says the 49-year-old officer had left after his shift ended and had just arrived home when the suspects pounced.

It is believed the men were aware the cop was inside the house and had planned to break-in, rob the house and steal his firearm.

The source says the crook in the room intended to shoot the officer but the cop quickly drew his weapon and fired three shots, killing him.

The four outside fled, leaving behind their accomplice, “who had pooped his pants when he died,” says the source.

“He acted on instinct and defended his home and himself,” adds the source.

A colleague, who cannot be named, tells the Daily Voice that the officer was a mild-mannered man and not trigger happy.

“We have worked together for many years and he has always been a carer, believing in intervention, rather than shooting someone.

“He believed his life was in danger. These criminals are coming after us now. We need to defend ourselves,” the cop said.

Police were called to the scene and no arrests were made.

Police spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana said the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) is investigating the incident.

Acting IPID spokesperson Sontaga Seisa said the policeman saw the intruder at 1pm.

“The intruder pointed the firearm at the police official who also produced a firearm. The police official discharged his firearm and the intruder was instantly killed.”

Daily Voice

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...in-40-minutes/

Security guard was charged for shooting tire of truck she believed would run her over. A jury acquitted her in 40 minutes
    Experience was ‘devastating’

MARTINEZ — Schitara Page was working the night shift at her security guard job last Dec. 18, when she caught two shoplifters in the act. One punched her in the face and threw lemons at her as she followed them into the parking lot, she would later recall.

U.S. Army Sgt. Schitara Page was acquitted of misdemeanor charges. (Courtesy of Schitara Page)
    Page, a 32-year-old sergeant in the U.S. Army and expert marksman, caught up with the suspects as they were climbing into a pickup truck with large tires. The driver allegedly gave her one final taunt before climbing in, yelling out, “I’ve got something for you, b—-,” Page says.

She interpreted his comment as a imminent threat, and when the truck’s wheels began to turn, Page drew her pistol and fired three times into one of the tires. The bullets flattened the tire, and the truck pulled out, heading away from Page.

It was something Page had never done before — not in her nine years at the army, which included tours in combat zones, and not several days earlier, when a sedan struck her in a similar incident, and she rolled over its hood rather than respond with force. The decision to shoot drastically changed the next year of her life, resulting in criminal charges — not against the men in the truck, but Page.

She was arrested on suspicion of a felony, but charged with a lesser offense, negligent discharge of a firearm. Her weeklong trial was earlier this month.

Jurors hardly sat down before they agreed that Page should be acquitted. A not guilty verdict was announced after less than 40 minutes of deliberations.

In an interview after the trial, Page called the whole experience “devastating,” despite the outcome in her favor.

“I’m still pretty devastated, because, honestly I’ve tried to live my life helping other people and living the best kind of life that I can,” Page said. “It’s kind of a slap in the face, to do what I’ve done in my lifetime and someone accused me of a crime.”

Page testified during trial, her attorney arguing it was an example of “perfect self-defense,” and citing California’s “Stand Your Ground law,” which allows a person to use deadly force based on a “reasonable belief” that their life is in danger. Following the verdict, the Contra Costa District Attorney put out a brief statement saying the shooting was “over disputed lemons and crab meat.”

“The shooting transpired in the parking lot of shopping center with civilians and children present,” the district attorney’s statement says. “The chosen response appeared to be a disproportionate use of force, this jury decided otherwise.”

Page is a single mother living in Sacramento, who recently earned a Master’s Degree and plans to soon attend law school. She became an army reservist after leg injuries forced her off active duty, but began moonlighting as an armed security guard in the Bay Area to pay for tuition. Had she been convicted, Page was unlikely to face much jail time because of her background, but she said it would have ruined her life.

“All my careers would have ended. Anything I worked for in the military would have gone away, I wouldn’t be able to attend law school,” she said. “Plus the fact that I’m a single mom and if something happens to me, my child has nowhere to go.”

The night of the shooting, Page said, started out normally. She was working at a grocery store in Richmond, Foods Co., where she was employed through a security company. She noticed two men acting suspiciously, and approached them as they began to leave the store. They responded by yelling profanity at her.

Page followed them outside, a practice that was in-line with her security guard training. After they climbed into the truck, Page believed she was in for a repeat of the incident days earlier, when she’d actually been struck by a vehicle.

“My first thought was of not coming home to my child,” she testified.

She would later describe to police the split-second calculations she made before firing, how she was confident the bullets would flatten the tire but fail penetrate all the way through, preventing a ricochet. She said that because of her leg injuries and being, “five foot, three-and-a-half,” she was unable to roll over the hood as she had done before.

“I would never jeopardize myself, but I would hate to have to take a life,” Page said. “If there’s a way to stop something from happening to me without taking a life, that’s the route I would take.”

The truck pulled out of the space away from her. Police later arrested the men, who were attempting to drive away on three tires. But prosecutors declined to charge them, and instead subpoenaed them as witnesses. They ducked the subpoena and didn’t testify, Page’s attorney Joseph Tully said.

As officers responded to the shooting, Page secured her pistol in the trunk of her car, assisted police in picking up shell casings, and gave a detailed description of the suspects. An officer took her statement, an experience she said was “frustrating.”

“I know when some people look at me, it’s just a little black girl with a gun. It’s hard to convey to people, I’m not just a security guard, I’ve been there, I know what i’m doing,” Page said. “I do feel like I have to tiptoe around police officers all the time, but in my city, I feel like the officers know me and it’s not an issue.”

Page remained employed as a security guard the entire time the charges were pending.

After trial, Page’s attorney, Tully, questioned why the case was filed in the first place, adding that he thought a police officer would “maybe be placed on leave,” for doing the same thing.

“First of all, I don’t think a police officer would have shot out a tire, I think a police officer is more likely to shoot at the car, that’s the news reports I’ve seen,” Tully said. He later added: “(Page) has got a great life and a great career ahead of her. And know that sometimes you have to fight for justice, it doesn’t come naturally to us by the system.”

https://www.journal-news.com/news/cr...WfsU6DufSWweL/

No charges for clerk in Hamilton store shooting
    HAMILTON —
    A Butler County grand jury has declined to indict a Hamilton store clerk who shot a man and said he acted in self-defense.

Emergency units responded to Singletary’s Carry Out on Second Street at about 12:55 p.m. on June 17 for a report of person shot and found a man sitting across the street with a gunshot wound to the back, according to the police report.

MORE: Police: Hamilton store clerk shot man through building’s window

The victim, Kenneth Wayne Wells Jr., 38, of Minster Street in Hamilton, suffered a non-life-threatening injury. A shot was fired through a window, hitting Wells in the back, according to police.

“There was some type of fight inside between (him), and the clerk shot through the window,” said Hamilton Police Sgt. Richard Burkhardt.

The clerk was questioned by police but not charged. In the 911 call, the clerk indicates he was attacked and that the attacker was armed.

Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser said the week of the shooting that the case would be presented for a grand jury for review, per his policy in all self-defense and officer-involved shooting incidents.

On Wednesday, the grand jury returned no indictments against the clerk. Gmoser said it was a close call.

MORE: Hamilton market shooting to get grand jury review

“He (the clerk) was requested to meet with the Hamilton Police Department officers and my assistant prosecutor to express my serious reservations with the outcome, but nevertheless it is the grand jury’s decision, and to inform him that he was very fortunate that the grand jury elected not to indict him under the circumstances of this case. That is the system we have,” Gmoser said. “I wanted him to know another grand jury many not have considered it the sane way.”

The prosecutor said the evidence indicated the clerk was the only person armed.

“I have serious reservations on the self-defense that was utilized, fortunately nobody got killed,” Gmoser said. “Throwing a plastic garbage can at somebody and then running away does not justify getting shot in the back.”

The prosecutor said the incident was caught on video and some of what was said cannot be heard.

“But I want to be clear this should not signal to the general public that it is OK to shoot somebody in the back under these circumstances,” he said.

A male 911 caller who said he was in the store told dispatchers he needed police and that he had been attacked.

“I just got attacked by a couple guys. One guy with his girlfriend … he was armed and he tried to attack me. I don’t know what happened, just can you please send an officer,” said the male caller.

The dispatcher said there was a call of shots fired at his location and asked if someone had been shot.

“Yea, I have been attacked, so …,” the man answered.

When the dispatcher said attacked means he was punched in the face, the caller said, “He got a gun, I just don’t know.”

The dispatcher asked the man how many times he had been shot, and he said none.

“No times yet,” the caller said. “Not yet, but I will be.”

Then screaming is heard in the call and it disconnected. There was no answer on call back.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20...-of-his-rifles

Jacksonville homeowner shoots intruder, said the woman had one of his rifles

Dan Scanlan Most Popular Our Picks
    A Jacksonville homeowner went into his home off Edgewood Avenue North Thursday morning to find a woman holding one of his guns, police said. He shot her, and she is now hospitalized, police said.

A homeowner on Oleander Street told police he arrived home late Thursday morning and found a woman inside with one of his rifles, so he shot her, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

She was being treated at UF Health, but the wound wasn’t life threatening, police said. The home is close to Biltmore Elementary School, just off Edgewood Avenue.

Police did not indicate if it was forced entry, if she was a burglar, whether they knew each other or what else transpired before the shot was fired. Aggravated battery detectives were interviewing those involved, police said.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...n-pasco-county

Hero' neighbor shoots, kills domestic violence suspect in Pasco County, deputies say
    By: WFTS Digital Staff
    PASCO COUNTY, Fla. — A Pasco County neighbor is hailed as a hero after deputies say he shot and killed an armed domestic violence suspect and helped free the victim's children from a dangerous scene.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office responded to a call in the Trinity area a little before 7 p.m. Wednesday night. According to Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco, the incident stemmed from a domestic violence attack.

Nocco said the domestic violence victim was inside the home, screaming for help. A neighbor who was mowing his lawn, heard the victim's cries and ran over to help.

As the victim was crying for help, she started moving a group of young children, who Nocco described as "elementary school children," to the home's second-story window. The neighbor helped lower the children to safety, Nocco said.

As the neighbor tried to deescalate the situation, the domestic violence suspect took out a gun and pointed at the neighbor.

The suspect opened fire but the neighbor was able to defend himself. The neighbor then shot the suspect, killing him on scene, Nocco said.

Nocco described the neighbor as "a hero."

"Protecting somebody's life is a priority," Nocco said in a press conference Wednesday night.

Nocco said deputies found blood in the house and the home was "in disarray." Officials did not specify the severity of the domestic violence victim's injuries or if she was hurt.

ABC Action News talked to numerous neighbors that were shocked to hear what happened. Neighbors tell us it was a husband and wife involved in the domestic violence situation, and they have three young children.

"I couldn’t imagine. I would never suspect anything like that," Rick Sells said. "Potentially, it could draw everybody closer together and that’s what we can hope comes out of it is that it will bring neighbors closer together, in time I think it puts everybody on alert. You never know what’s going on down the street. Like I said, as a family man, a father myself with kids that’s the first thing that comes to mind. Those kids what they had to go through the experience what the future is going to hold for them too."

https://www.mtpr.org/post/two-mounta...bia-falls-park

Two Mountain Lions Killed Near Columbia Falls Park
    By Aaron Bolton • 7 minutes ago

A mountain lion in Glacier National Park.
    Two Mountain Lions Killed Near Columbia Falls Park

Two young mountain lions were killed near a Columbia Falls park over the weekend. One was shot and killed by a local homeowner Saturday and the other was killed by police.

The Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks received reports of mountain lions in the area during the week, prompting the state agency to alert Columbia Falls police.

The first Saturday sighting was close to a house near River’s Edge, a Columbia Falls park situated on the Flathead River. That homeowner shot the young cat and then turned the carcass over to FWP.

Department spokesperson Dillon Tabish says Columbia Falls Police shot at another mountain lion near the park later the same day.

“We have not been able to retrieve the carcass of that lion, but it is believed to be dead," he said.

FWP investigated the homeowner's shooting and determined the person acted in self-defense.

The two mountain lions are believed to have killed a domestic cat. Tabish said mountain lions have not been tolerated in urban areas over the last decade. Anyone who thinks a lion is threatening their life or property is allowed to shoot the animal, though FWP prefers people first call the agency or try to scare away the animal with noise.

Mountain lions are typically reclusive animals, but Tabish said younger mountain lions have been known to travel together. Younger lions also tend to seek out lower elevations during mating season and when deer populations are on the move in order to avoid older, territorial males.

“This time of year, mountain lions can be moving around, young juveniles particularly," Tabish said. "July through September is when we have the highest number of calls related to sightings or potential conflicts with mountain lions.”

The number of mountain lions killed in urban areas has been decreasing over the past decade, according to Tabish, and two were removed in northwestern Montana last year.

https://www.abc15.com/news/crime/pd-...-police-arrive

PD: Armed resident captures, holds them at gunpoint until police arrive
    By: Joe Enea
    items.[0].image.alt
    PHOENIX — An armed resident captured two burglars and held them at gunpoint after they entered his family's west Phoenix home, according to Phoenix police.

Phoenix police report that on the morning of August 15, Jade Mare Dass, 25 and Ryne Patrick Bieniasz, 29, broke a window and entered the victim's home near 91st Avenue and Camelback Road.

Police say there were three people in the home when they arrived.

Dass and Bieniasz were captured in the house and held at gunpoint by one of the residents until police arrived, police say.

Court records show the value of the broken window to be about $1,000.

Dass and Bieniasz have been charged with criminal trespassing and criminal damage.

This is not an example of self defense, but a strong point is being made that pertains to the purpose of the thread.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...seconds-count/

Parkland Father: Armed Citizens Save Lives When Seconds Count

Parkland father Andrew Pollack says Americans need to be armed for self-defense, because when seconds count “first responders are minutes away.”

Pollack’s daughter, Meadow, was killed in the February 14, 2018, attack on Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Pollack told Fox News, “I was never such a pro-Second Amendment type of guy until this happened to my daughter and I saw how she became such a victim on that third floor and no one came to help her.”

He added, “The police weren’t there. Security wasn’t there.”

On November 21, 2018, Breitbart News reported that Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri–head of the commission that examined the Parkland shooting–called for teachers to be armed to prevent the loss of life that occurred in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas attack. The Associated Press quoted Gualtieri saying, “People need to keep an open mind to it as the reality is that if someone else in that school had a gun it could have saved kids’ lives.”

Gualtieri’s point and Pollack’s point are the same.

But Pollack does go further by talking about victims in mass public attacks that took place in locations other than schools. He notes how the victims are often “cowering” once the gunman opens fire. He said it should not be so. Rather, people ought to be able to defend themselves.

Pollack stressed that individuals need to be able to protect themselves between the time that an attack starts and police arrive to take the gunman out. He said, “That is why I am such a believer in the Second Amendment and I will never let one of my friends or loved ones be victim, like what happened to my daughter on that third floor.”

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2019/08/2...uitted-murder/

Lake County Man Acquitted of Murder
    Jury found Daniel Chance Blixt acted in self defense when he shot Matthew Darnell in February
    BY JUSTIN FRANZ // AUG 22, 2019

Flathead Beacon
    RELATED STORIES:
    Fatal Shooting in Lake County Under Investigation
    A Lake County man was found not guilty of murder nearly six months after he shot and killed another man in self-defense.

Daniel Chance Blixt, 30, was acquitted Aug. 21 following a three-day trial in Polson. Blixt was charged with deliberate homicide in the Feb. 28 shooting death of Matthew Darnell.

According to charging documents, Blixt’s estranged wife and Darnell were in a romantic relationship. On Feb. 28, Blixt’s wife and Darnell had gone to Blixt’s home in Pablo to give him some money to help take care of their children. Knowing the Darnell and Blixt had a tense relationship, the couple parked down the road and Darnell stayed in the car. The ex-wife and Blixt got into an argument outside the home.

Darnell, who was considerably larger than Blixt and had threatened him numerous times before, then stormed out of the car and began running toward the defendant. When Darnell was just a few feet away, Blixt drew a handgun and shot him several times.

“(Blixt) called 911 and immediately told the dispatcher that he had shot him in self-defense,” said defense attorney Amanda Marvin. “He waited until the last possible moment to shoot.”

Marvin, who was co-counsel with Tim Wenz, said the state’s investigation was “negligent” and had a more thorough review of the scene occurred she believes Blixt would have never been charged.

Prosecutors and the defense presented evidence for two days before starting their closing arguments on day three, Aug. 21. After the closing arguments, the case was handed off to the jury that deliberated for four hours before delivering a verdict of not guilty.

The Beacon was unable to reach the Lake County Attorney’s Office for comment.

Marvin said her client was happy with the result, although notes the events of Feb. 28 will likely stay with him forever.

“He feels terrible that this happened,” she said. “But he’s relieved, he’s grateful (that it’s over).”

https://abc11.com/durham-da-affirms-...udent/5489231/

Durham DA affirms no charges in 2018 death of NCCU student
    DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- Durham County District Attorney Satana Deberry has reaffirmed that there is no evidence to support a homicide charge in the 2018 death of a former North Carolina Central University student.

The former student, DeAndre Ballard was shot and killed by a security guard on Sept. 24, 2018, during an encounter at the Campus Crossing apartments where Ballard lived at the time.

Ballard's family contended the shooting was not in self-defense as the guard claimed.

"The Durham Police Department determined last year that charges were not warranted in this case," a spokesperson for the DA's office told ABC11 on Friday. "The previous district attorney, who left office in December, agreed with that determination.

"Upon taking office, DA Deberry took the extra step of requesting a presentation on the evidence in the case to ensure she agreed with the decision of her predecessor and found no evidence to support a homicide charge."

Ballard, 23, was set to graduate from the school in 2019.

Page 271 of 339 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281321 ... LastLast