Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 125 of 339 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

https://www.fox13memphis.com/top-sto...bber/737802933

Woman sees husband in trouble, pulls out gun on would-be robber

Memphis police are searching for a man who allegedly tried to rob three people outside of a Whitehaven home in broad daylight.

A surveillance camera captured the weekend incident.

The victims said a man pulled a gun on them after asking for a phone and then a ride. Moments later, he learned he wasn’t the only one carrying a gun.

A man told FOX13 his niece took his gun and scared off a bold criminal.

“She’s bold. She ain’t scared of nothing.”

In the video, the suspect had his right hand is in his waist band as he stands behind the victim’s nephew. The victim said the man’s hand was on a gun.

“People are so bold now day’s just broad day light on a Sunday come up to you and try robbing you,” the victim said.

Memphis police said Sunday afternoon the man in the blue jacket came to the Whitehaven home and asked to use one of the victim’s phones and then asked for a ride.

The man said his niece and her husband in the video were visiting from Florida.

While the incident was unfolding outside the house, the man said he and his niece were inside the house.

Police said after the woman saw her husband in trouble, she came out the front door with a gun.

The victim told FOX13, “She said she didn’t want to kill him, but when he fired back at us after she fired the warning shot. She said she was trying to hit him then but didn’t.”

Memphis police told FOX13 the gunman ran toward the back of the house.

The victim said he hopes police can catch the suspect before someone gets seriously hurt.

“Thank the good Lord he was watching out for all of us.”

Police said they are reviewing this surveillance video to get a positive ID on the gunman. If you have any information on who that suspect may be, call CrimeStoppers at 901-528 CASH.

This sounds like a definite case where if the guy did not have a gun to fight back, the criminal was going to kill him.

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/trial-...ner/1137828148

Wichita restaurant owner takes the stand during trial: 'I was afraid for my life'

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) - Witnesses are being called in the trial of the man jailed in the shooting of a Wichita restaurant owner.

Reginald Kane is charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery, assault, and battery.

Ruben Acosta took the stand on Tuesday to tell his story of being shot inside his own store.

Acosta said Reginald Kane came into the restaurant around 10 p.m. on June 9th of 2017 with a gun pointed at one of his employees. He said Kane came up to him as he was counting the money for the day since it was closing time.

He says Kane took money and then pointed the gun at Ruben.

"He turned around and he tell me, sorry. This is the last day you're going to see this world you ------ and he shoots me for the first time," said Acosta. "I defend myself. I was afraid for my life and I shoot back."

Acosta was hit in the hip and shoulder. Employees talked about Kane being hit and running from the store. They also talked about holding down Acosta's chest to keep him from losing too much blood.

"He pushed the blood down and hold me to stop bleeding," explained Acosta.

Myranda Nevins said she was just outside the restaurant in a car when she heard what sounded like firecrackers.

"I heard a dozen or so shots fired," says Nevins. "My friend and I lowered ourselves in the vehicle and then popped up and saw people jumping over things and smoke filled the restaurant."

Prosecutors talked about evidence found near Kane when they later arrested him at his girlfriend's house. They said the girlfriend called 911 later in the night to say her boyfriend was shot and needed help.

Prosecutors also said evidence will show a slug pulled out of Reginald Kane that came from the gun of Ruben Acosta as he defended himself.

Kane's defense attorney asked a few, select questions of the witnesses. Most of the questions centered on whether or not anyone other than Ruben got a good look at the suspect, who was wearing a mask. Other defense questions revolved specifically around who drew their gun first.

The trial continues Wednesday.

http://www.spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/...wntown-raleigh

RPD: Thursday shooting in downtown Raleigh was self-defense

RALEIGH -- A shooting in the 300 block of South Blount Street in downtown Raleigh Thursday appears to have been in self-defense.

Shooting happened on Blount Street around 3:30 p.m.
    Shooter fired weapon in self-defense
    The person who was shot has been charged with robbery.

According to the Raleigh Police Department, 23-year-old Morgen Matthews was walking down South Blount Street near the intersection of Davie Street when Jonathan Tyrone Peace, 28, attempted to rob her.

Matthews fired the weapon striking Peace in the chest to stop him from attacking her.

Peace was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

This one involves a pellet gun.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/04...fle_killi.html

Judge rules pellet rifle killing was 'justifiable self-defense,' dismisses charges

SUNBURY - A Northumberland County judge has dismissed manslaughter and all other charges against a Kulpmont woman accused of killing her husband with a pellet rifle, calling it "justifiable self-defense."

Judge Charles H. Saylor on Thursday found Helena Crosby, 49, feared for her safety when she shot Vincent Crosby in the face in their home the night of Sept. 23.

The autopsy report stated the pellet entered the left nostril, traveled through the nasal system, the sphenoid sinus and into the mid-brain, where it lodged in the left peritoneal lobe.

No one could have anticipated a pellet shot from an air rifle would follow such a catastrophic path, the judge wrote.

After Vincent Crosby died three days later at Geisinger Medical Center near Danville, charges against his wife were amended to include involuntary manslaughter.

The following, taken from Saylor's order, is what occurred leading up to the shooting:

Vincent Crosby started drinking heavily, became physically violent, grabbed his wife and threatened her.

After he left the house, Helena Crosby retrieved the air rifle and called 911.

She still was on the phone when he returned home very intoxicated and approached her in an aggressive manner.

With the phone in one hand and the rifle in the other, she pulled the trigger. He continued to come toward her but then fell to the floor.

Saylor's order included the following excerpts from Crosby's 911 call:

"He's threatening me. He has a gun. Please help me. I don't want to die. I can't shoot nobody. I don't shoot guns."

On the tape of her conversation with a dispatcher after her husband returned, the judge said she can be heard screaming "no, no" repeatedly and sobbing, "Oh my God, help."

Next, according to Saylor, she is heard saying: "I shot him. I didn't want to die. Help me."

This is clear, indisputable evidence Crosby was acting in self-defense, the judge wrote.

He found the prosecution failed to offer any facts that support a contention Crosby's actions were anything but self-defense.

She had told police she did not intend to shoot him and asked him before he became unresponsive if he was OK, court documents state.

District Attorney Tony Matulewicz III expressed respect for Saylor's ruling.

"This case involved nothing less than a family tragedy for everyone involved," he said.

"A life was lost and we cannot forget Mr. Crosby's life has value. However, the court made a reasonable decision on the evidence that was available."

Saylor's finding brings closure for the family and the community, the district attorney said.

Aggravated and simple assault, discharging a firearm in an occupied structure and recklessly endangering another person are the other charges that were dismissed.

Crosby spent about three months in jail unable to post $100,000 bail until she was released under the supervision of the adult probation department.

http://abc7chicago.com/would-be-carj...t-idd/3393974/

Would-be carjacker fatally shot by retired officer in Bridgeport ID'd; 2 in custody

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A retired Chicago police officer shot and killed a man who he said was trying to carjack him Wednesday night in the Bridgeport neighborhood, police said.

The suspect who died was shot in the upper body several times and police said his two accomplices were arrested.

The suspects picked a retired Chicago police officer to carjack just before 7:30 p.m. in the 2900-block of South Shields Avenue.

The retired officer in his 60s was either in or out of his vehicle on the street when he was approached by three men and one of them had a gun, police said. The retired officer managed to fire shots at one of the three who tried to take his car, police said.

That suspect was taken to a local hospital in critical condition, where he later died. The suspect has been identified to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office as 20-year-old Lazarick West of Chicago.

Neighbor Chung Yeung Don was a witness. He said he was standing near a window to turn on the TV and heard a gun. He turned and saw the retired cop standing there and the guy was already on the ground. Then he saw the other two men running.

One man didn't hear the shots, but saw the suspects before the shooting.

"No gunshots at all, they were looking pretty shady I guess, which I didn't want to assume that, I just thought they were just standing there talking," said Michael Farrell, who is visiting Chicago. "They kept looking over their shoulder a lot and they looked at me and I just kept walking. I didn't pay attention to it at the time."

Two other suspects fled the scene but were arrested nearby. Police said they found a handgun at the scene.

Police said West was convicted on a gun charge last year and sentenced to a year behind bars, but he got out early.

The neighborhood is filled with retired police officers who have weapons and residents said crime usually doesn't happen.

"Two things: there's good and there's bad. The good news about this area is that there's quick response time. I mean the cops were here immediately. Bad in that, I believe crime is growing," said resident Diana.

"Karma, that's what it is. I mean I'm so glad, I mean I'm not glad that they got what they got, but it should be set as an example like, why are you doing this?" said neighbor Kenson Chin.

The officer retired from Area Central eight years ago, so Area South will handle the investigation, police said.

Because the officer is retired, the Civilian Office of Police Accountability will not be investigating.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/dis...wner/739820089

Disturbed intruder shot by Kitsap County homeowner

KITSAP COUNTY, Wash. - A 28-year-old man who police said appeared to be delusional was shot by a homeowner in the Southworth area of South Kitsap early Thursday.

The Kitsap County Sheriff's Office was called to the home at about 2 a.m. on Thursday.

The homeowner said he armed himself and went downstairs to investigate after he heard yelling and loud banging on his living and dining room windows. His family was home at the time of the incident.

The homeowner said he yelled at the person outside but received no answer. When he opened the front door, the suspect rounded the corner of the house and charged at the homeowner, pushing him backwards, according to officers.

That’s when the homeowner fired one shot at the suspect, but the man kept advancing and yelled, "Let me into your house!” according to deputies.

Police said the man continued to try to force his way into the house until he collapsed outside the front door.

The homeowner checked the man for injuries and tried to keep him calm until deputies and medics arrived.

When deputies arrived, they found the wounded man huddled outside the front door. Deputies said the man "was completely drenched with his arms and face covered in scratches. He was frantically looking around and shaking,” and appeared to be delusional.

Officers are continuing to investigate

https://villages-news.com/summerfiel...elleview-home/

Women armed with gun, camera confront would-be burglar at residence
    April 27, 2018

Christopher A. Stone
    A Summerfield man was arrested Thursday after breaking into a Belleview home and then fleeing into a nearby woods when confronted by the homeowner and her armed sister, according to a Marion County Sheriff’s Office report.

Christopher A. Stone, 42, was charged with burglary of an occupied dwelling and larceny. He was booked into Marion County Jail and held on a $12,000 bond.

According to the report, the female homeowner saw that a window was broken when she arrived at her home in the 3400 block of SE 115th Street in Belleview. She called her sister, who arrived with a firearm for protection, the report states.
    The women then ordered Stone to come out of the house and took photos of him, the report says. Stone told the women that he had chased someone into the house who had stolen his dirt bike, then grabbed his bookbag and ran into a nearby woods.

A short time later, a sheriff’s K-9 dog apprehended Stone, who then told deputies that he was angry at another man who shot at him. He said he changed into camouflage clothing so that he wouldn’t be detected while pursuing the man, the report says.

Stone told deputies that he chased the man into the laundry room of the Belleview home before the man broke a window and left the house. That’s when he heard the homeowner and her sister talking and came out of the home, he told deputies.

Stone also told deputies that a broach valued at $10 that was found in his pocket “must have fallen in when he was climbing over the victim’s property inside the laundry room.”

Multiple jewelry items valued at $1,000 also were found inside a pillowcase in the home after Stone ran into the woods, the report says.

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/arc.../#.WuRDeyQpCfA

Good Samaritan with gun helps deputy struggling with suspect; search for suspect continues
    Written by Joseph Witham April 27, 2018
    BEAVER DAM, Ariz. — A man is still at large after police say he resisted arrest and assaulted an officer before fleeing on foot in Beaver Dam, Arizona, Friday morning.

Undated photo of 34-year-old Darren Bruce Boone | Photo courtesy of Mohave County Sheriff’s Office, St. George News
    Police are asking for the public’s help in locating 34-year-old Darren Bruce Boone, of Littlefield, Arizona, wanted for alleged aggravated assault on an officer and escaping custody.

Read more: News LIVE: Dangerous man on the loose, officers say

The incident that triggered the manhunt occurred at approximately 9 a.m. when deputies were attempting to make contact with Boone about an earlier, unrelated incident, Mohave County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Anita Mortensen said, noting that the Sheriff’s Office is not releasing information about the unrelated incident.

Boone was observed in a vehicle with expired plates on Highway 91 and was pulled over by a Mohave County Sheriff’s deputy, Mortensen said, adding that he was also found to be driving without a driver’s license.

The deputy proceeded to arrest Boone for the license issues, Mortensen said.

“(The deputy) got one handcuff on him and after the one cuff was applied, there was a struggle,” Mortensen said. “The suspect was able to grab the deputy’s Taser and hold it up to the deputy’s face and neck.

A SWAT vehicle the scene of a manhunt in Beaver Dam, Ariz., April 27, 2018 | Photo by Joseph Witham, St. George News
    “He was attempting to engage the Taser, and somehow, it didn’t happen – either he didn’t know how to work it or some kind of miracle – there was no contact made with the Taser.”

At that time, Mortensen said witnesses saw Boone reach for the deputy’s weapon. A woman at the scene described by police as a Good Samaritan tried to help the deputy by pulling Boone away.

Boone shoved the woman to the ground, Mortensen said, adding that the woman was armed and was able to shoot a “warning shot” into the air, causing Boone to flee on foot into the bushes in the nearby Beaver Dam Wash.

A multiagency manhunt that included responders from Southern Utah ensued shortly after. Mohave County Sheriff’s deputies were joined by heavily armed personnel from Washington County Metro SWAT and air support from the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

A helicopter crew from the Arizona Department of Public Safety at the scene of a manhunt in Beaver Dam, Ariz., April 27, 2018 | Photo by Joseph Witham, St. George News
    During the search, area schools were placed on lockout and motorists along Interstate 15 were advised not to pick up hitchhikers.

By about 2 p.m. MST, the majority of the search force was scaled back, but authorities are still actively searching for Boone in the area of Old Pioneer Road and Beaver Dam Drive as of Friday evening.

Boone is considered dangerous and should not be approached, according to a news release issued by Mohave County Sheriff’s Office.

Boone is described as 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighing 175 pounds with a shaved head, brown eyes and tattoos on both arms.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Boone is encouraged to contact the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office at 928-753-0753.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement and may not contain the full scope of findings.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...nse/406385002/

Police: Man who killed roommate in Drake neighborhood may have used self-defense
    Linh Ta
    Christopher John Latimer, 34, of Des Moines, was found dead in an upper-level apartment at 1076 21st St. in Des Moines, police said. Luke Nozicka / The Register

A man who allegedly killed his roommate in a Drake neighborhood apartment Wednesday morning may have been defending himself, said Sgt. Paul Parizek, spokesman for Des Moines police.

The body of Christopher John Latimer, 34, of Des Moines, was found in an upper-level apartment at 1076 21st St., Parizek said.

Latimer lived in the unit along with his mom, 55-year-old Lynne Marie Bailey and her boyfriend, Parizek said.

Bailey's boyfriend allegedly killed Latimer, but "it's going to be a very real possibility that self-defense is an explanation for this," he said.

An autopsy will need to be conducted along with more forensic examination before its decided whether charges will be filed or not, Parizek said. No charges have been filed yet.

The dynamic of the relationships in the apartment were "pretty tense," Parizek said.

Officers were first called to the unit around 1 a.m. Wednesday after a neighbor reported a dispute. After officers responded and "calmed down" the people in the unit, Bailey was taken into custody due to an unrelated warrant for possession of marijuana, according to court records.

A few hours later around 6 a.m., a neighbor in the apartment building heard a dispute, including yelling and screaming, Parizek said. The neighbor called police and said someone may have been killed.

When officers arrived, Bailey's boyfriend said he may have harmed someone in the apartment. Inside the unit, officers found Latimer's body, Parizek said.

Bailey's boyfriend was taken into custody and brought to the police station. He was released on Wednesday and has been cooperative with police, Parizek said. Bailey has also been released from jail.

Police have not released the details of how Latimer was killed. An autopsy is being conducted on Thursday at the Polk County Medical Examiner's Office.

https://whdh.com/news/police-worcest...-his-property/

Police: Worcester homeowner shoots, injures man trespassing on his property
    7 News WHDHApril 29, 2018

WORCESTER (WHDH) - A 29-year-old Worcester man was shot by a homeowner early Sunday morning while trespassing outside their house, police said.

Worcester police officers responding to a report of shots fired on Second Street about 12:47 a.m. met a 56-year-old man who said he had just shot an intruder during a fight outside his house. The man, whose name was not released, told officers he saw a suspicious man dressed in all black clothing, wearing a dark-colored backpack, checking a car door on a vehicle parked outside his house, police said.

When the homeowner saw the man walk into his yard, he said he got a handgun and went outside to confront him, police said. While escorting the man off his property, witnesses said they heard the man threaten to shoot the homeowner and reach for his waistband, prompting him to open fire.

The man who was shot, later identified as Zackery Bailey, was taken to the hospital with two non-life-threatening gunshot wounds. While at the hospital, officers found out that Bailey had an outstanding arrest warrant for his arrest on a breaking and entering charge.

The homeowner, who is a licensed gun owner, was interviewed at police headquarters and treated at the hospital for injuries sustained in the fight.

The investigation into the incident is active.

Page 125 of 339 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast