Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 212 of 339 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222262312 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...034b9b41c.html

Update: 18-year-old fatally shoots a relative allegedly intruding at Owasso home, police say

A man is dead after allegedly breaking into an Owasso residence where he was shot by an 18-year-old relative who was staying there.

According to Owasso Deputy Police Chief Jason Woodruff, officers responded to a report of a home invasion and shooting about 11:30 p.m. Monday.

Officers found a man identified as Zachary Daniel Sparkman, 30, inside with a gunshot wound to the head. Police confirmed that Sparkman was the 18-year-old's uncle and the home belonged to Sparkman's father.

Tulsa World journalism makes a difference. Be part of the story. Join us. Start a digital subscription for only 99˘.

"(The relationship) kind of makes things a little more complicated, but it doesn’t change the narrative that we’re looking at, that this was an alleged intruder and the person inside the house shot that intruder,” Woodruff said.

In a news release, Woodruff said evidence indicates Sparkman, who was reportedly not authorized to be at the house, had forced entry into the home's back door.

The 18-year-old shot the alleged intruder with a .40-caliber handgun reportedly belonging to the homeowner, police said. He is not being identified and is said to be cooperating with the investigation.

“Kind of seems like an estranged relative that had been kicked out of the house, wasn’t supposed to be there," Woodruff said. "The homeowner, the grandpa, was gone for the night, and there happened to be this 18-year-old kid that was another relative that was staying at the house.”

Findings will be submitted to the Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office for review.

Sparkman was convicted in 2013 of drug-related crimes and served nearly three years in an Oklahoma prison. Most recently he was convicted of larceny and other misdemeanor crimes in Tulsa and Wagoner counties.

https://wreg.com/2019/03/19/desoto-c...s-office-says/

DeSoto County man shoots neighbor in self-defense, sheriff’s office says

DESOTO COUNTY, Miss. — A DeSoto County man shot and killed his neighbor Monday afternoon, the sheriff’s office said.

Investigators said James Leon Newman, 69, shot his neighbor Lucian “Butch” Angelo, 78, around 3 p.m. after an argument turned into a physical altercation at a home in the 8700 block of Tulane Road.

Angelo was taken by Hospital Wing to the trauma center at Regional One in Memphis, where he later died.

Authorities said an investigation has indicated the shooting was in self-defense. After consultation with the district attorney, the case will be referred to the grand jury for review.

https://www.philly.com/news/elvis-nu...-20190319.html

West Philly grocer recounts deadly shootout with masked robber
    Mensah M. Dean

Shortly before Elvis Nuńez had a chance to close his store last Thursday, putting another 7:30 a.m.-to-9 p.m. shift behind him, a man wearing a black facemask burst through the door of his 54 & Wyalusing Food Market and pointed a handgun at him.

“I opened the register and was counting the money, but the guy in the mask took one shot at me right away,” said Nuńez, 53, who dodged the bullet and drew his handgun from his left hip holster. The gunman doubled back to the front door, still pointing his gun at Nuńez, who opened the register area’s acrylic glass door and fired a bullet into the would-be robber’s abdomen.

The gunman ran about 10 feet from the store’s front door, turned, and fired again at Nuńez, who remained at the front door of the store on the southwest corner of Wyalusing Avenue and Conestoga Street, he said. The gunman then ran east on Wyalusing to the intersection with 54th Street, where he fired two more shots, said Nuńez, who slammed the front door and summoned police.

West Philly grocer Elvis Nuńez inside his store with customer Qiana Grant on March 18, 2019, four days after Nuńez was in a shootout with a would-be robber. Grant and other regulars at the store call Nuńez "Papi."
    Mensah M. Dean

West Philly grocer Elvis Nuńez inside his store with customer Qiana Grant on March 18, 2019, four days after Nuńez was in a shootout with a would-be robber. Grant and other regulars at the store call Nuńez "Papi."
    Police took the gunman — who still had not been publicly identified as of noon Tuesday — to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11 that night. A Police Department spokesperson said he was not able to say if the shooting was still under investigation or if it had been determined to be a justifiable homicide.

In a city where just 25 percent of armed robberies result in arrests and the homicide rate ticked up 11 percent last year, Nuńez, who immigrated from the Dominican Republic in 1993, survived by inches.

“It was the only way I could stay alive with my family,” Nuńez said. "It was going to be me or the person. I no want to shoot nobody. I no want to carry a gun. But there are a lot of bad people in Philly and I have to protect my family and I have to protect myself.”

He had come to the U.S. seeking a better life, he said, had opened his store about 10 years ago with help from family members, and works seven days a week to help fund his goal of seeing all five of his children graduate from college. His oldest, a 26-year-old daughter, graduated from Immaculata University in Chester County and now works as a nutritionist, he said.

“I didn’t have the chance to go to college,” he said. “So I want all my kids to have that chance. Working here is the only way to make sure my children get a good education.”

Nuńez’s family and friends celebrated his survival and praised him as a soft-spoken pillar of the community who frequently gives customers free food when they are low on cash. Regulars call him “Papi” and say he would never shoot anyone unless in self-defense.

“Papi, I know if he had to shoot somebody, he had to do it,” said Qiana Grant, 36, who said her daughter was in the store during the shooting and lost her slippers running for safety.

The 54 & Wyalusing Food Market, at Conestoga Street and Wyalusing Avenue, where owner Elvis Nuńez shot and killed a robber March 14, 2019.
    Mensah M. Dean
    The 54 & Wyalusing Food Market, at Conestoga Street and Wyalusing Avenue, where owner Elvis Nuńez shot and killed a robber March 14, 2019.
    “Papi is a nice guy, very easygoing,” said Grant, a certified nursing assistant. “There’s times I come down here with nothing. If you just talk to him, you get what you need. He’ll help you feed your kids. He’s cool for the neighborhood. He’s been around here for years, watching my children grow up and a lot of other people’s children grow up.”

It was not the first time Nuńez has stared down the barrel of a gun, he said. In 2010 he survived a shootout with two gunmen. In 2016 a gunman stole $500 when his wife was behind the register of their store.

“Every time you hold your breath and it’s a really scary experience," said his son, Kelvin, a senior at a Catholic school who turns 17 Friday and plans to study creative writing in college.

“I’m just saddened that some people have to resort to these types of things, and be in gangs, and rob stores. When your parent is the one the gun is being pointed at, you don’t wish that on anyone else,” added Kelvin, who earlier this year participated in The Inquirer’s annual Acel Moore High School Journalism Workshop.

Nuńez said he feels bad that the gunman lost his life, and praised the police for whisking him to the hospital. He advised those with thoughts of arming themselves and robbing someone to take another path.

“It’s a big mistake. You put yourself in danger, you put somebody else in danger, and you can go to the jail. Go to the classroom. You are living in the U.S.A. I come from a poor country. Everything is different over there. You have opportunity here,” he said.

"You will see that you can survive honestly and good. Stay out of the gun problem, the drugs, the alcohol. Focus on yourself and your family.”

https://www.wral.com/shotgun-wieldin...k-in/18271261/

Shotgun-wielding Hoke County commissioner says he held home intruders at bay during break-in
    By Gilbert Baez, WRAL reporterFayetteville, N.C.
    Posted 2:57 p.m. today
    Updated 42 minutes ago

— A Hoke County commissioner running for lieutenant governor had a frightening encounter over the weekend when he returned to his townhouse in Greenville and discovered that it had been ransacked and the burglars were still inside with him.

Parts of the incident was recorded when Commissioner Allen Thomas, who stays on the second floor of a three-level townhouse at the Carolina Creek Apartments, posted the incident on Facebook as it was happening.

According to a statement by the Thomas campaign, the county commissioner decided to take a break from campaigning when he returned to his secondary home in Greenville Saturday around noon.

Thomas said he saw several men in the downstairs common area but he assumed they were guests of the resident who lives on the first floor. The apartments in the unit share a downstairs common area.

When Thomas went upstairs, he found that his bedroom had been ransacked.

Thomas said he locked his bedroom door and called 911 and took out a shotgun that was hidden in the room.

The intruders came upstairs and knocked on the door, saying they had left several items in the bedroom, including knives and a stun gun.

Thomas cocked his shotgun, which he says was loaded with three rounds.

"I was telling (them) that was my limit," he said, adding that he warned them not to try and enter his bedroom. "If (they) came through (the door), I would shoot."

Thomas said the suspects told him that they had left a phone in the bedroom and they wanted it back.

"I didn't see a phone, so I couldn't tell if he was trying to gain back access," Thomas said. "I didn't know he had a weapon."

In the video posted to Facebook, you can hear the shotgun being loaded. You can also hear him talking to someone through the bedroom door.

Thomas said the standoff lasted for several minutes before the men decided to leave without trying to enter the room.

Thomas never fired his weapon.

Greenville police arrived on the scene about 10 minutes after he made the call to 911, but no one has been arrested in connection with the incident as of Tuesday.

Thomas says he feared for his life and says he recorded the incident in case he had to shoot.

He said he wanted to show he was acting in self-defense if the intruders were wounded or killed.

https://kobi5.com/news/cave-junction...ors-say-98434/

Cave Junction shooting made in self defense, investigators say
    Newsroom Staff
    JOSEPHINE COUNTY, Ore. – Investigators have determined a shooting death in Josephine County was made in self-defense.

On the morning of November 2, 2018, Richard James Ocoyne fired a single shot at the R-Hogg-Farm motorcycle shop in Cave Junction. Nobody was injured.

Prosecutors said a few minutes after the incident, Ocoyne arrived at the residence of Christopher Lorne, located on Rose Lane in Cave Junction.

The Josephine County District Attorney’s Office said Ocoyne parked his vehicle in front of the home and fire two shots from a semi-automatic rifle through Lorne’s bedroom window. Lorne woke up and retrieved a .45 caliber handgun. While still in bed, he fired four shots at Ocoyne, one of which struck Ocoyne’s head, killing him. Lorne then called 911.

A passenger inside Ocoyne’s vehicle reported waking up to profanities and gunshots. The passenger got out of the vehicle to avoid the gunfire and escaped uninjured.

The district attorney’s office said Ocoyne knew Lorne and—at one point—lived on his property before being asked to leave. The motivation for both shootings was related to a dispute over a motorcycle.

Prosecutors stated Ocoyne had methamphetamine, cyclobenzaprine, LSD and cannabinoids in his system at the time of his death.

After an investigation, the district attorney’s office said Lorne was justified in taking deadly action against Ocoyne. No further action will be taken in the case.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/i...ston-apartment

Intruder killed by tenant while forcing way into SW Houston apartment
    Daniela Sternitzky-Di NapoliPosted: 5:41 AM, March 21, 2019
    HOUSTON - An intruder is dead after he was met with gunfire when he forced his way into a southwest Houston apartment, police said.

Officers said the incident happened around 12:30 a.m. Thursday at the Marquette at Piney Point apartment complex on Westheimer near Fondren Road.

According to authorities, three people were home when the intruder forced his way into the apartment under “suspicious circumstances.”

The intruder shot at the resident, at which point one of the residents tried to wrestle the gun away from him, officers said.

While the intruder and resident were fighting, another roommate rushed to the room and got a gun. Police said the roommate shot the intruder, killing him, police said.

Officers said they are investigating the situation, and though they aren’t sure if it was a home invasion, it was “obviously an unwelcome person that came in the apartment."

https://www.middlesborodailynews.com...ight-shooting/

One dead following late-night shooting

The name of a man who was shot and later died after an alleged home invasion was released Thursday morning by the Bell County Sheriff’s Office.

Jeffery Dwayne Fuston, 27, was taken to the Southeastern Kentucky Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 12:05 a.m. by Bell County Deputy Coroner Donald Horton.

Just after 11 p.m. on Wednesday, Bell County Dispatch received a call from a woman stating there was a disturbance at a residence on Bradford Town Right Road.

Bell County deputies Justin Patterson, Jake Perry, and Kentucky State Police Trooper Josh Messer responded to the scene.

According to reports, the woman called dispatch back while officers were responding saying she heard gunshots coming from the home.

When officers arrived, Patterson and Perry were greeted by the homeowners on the front porch stating they had been attacked. Further investigation determined that Fuston was there visiting but was asked to leave several times. Fuston left and the homeowners locked the house up for the night but according the report, Fuston forced himself back inside the home.

Patterson states that the homeowners claimed Fuston was asked to leave again but once inside assaulted them both. The fighting continued until the homeowner drew his firearm and discharged it, shooting the man because he was in fear for the safety of his family.

Bell County EMS responded and attempted to transport Fuston to a landing zone to be flown out. Due to the severity of the gunshot wounds, he was taken to the Southeastern Kentucky Medical Center where he later passed away.

According to Bell County Sheriff Mitch Williams, this is still an active and ongoing investigation by Bell County Sheriff’s Office. Leading the investigation are deputies Patterson and Perry. You are urged that if you have any vital information that can contribute first hand to the investigation that you contact the sheriff’s office at 606-337-3102.

https://fox59.com/2019/03/22/homeown...est-impd-says/

Homeowner shot robber who tried to hold up 3 people while wearing police vest, IMPD says
    Posted 5:40 AM, March 22, 2019, by FOX59 Web, Updated at 11:41AM, March 22, 2019

Photo of police vest worn by Carl Simion

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Police arrested 34-year-old Carl Simion for criminal confinement and impersonating a public servant.

Officers say he was wearing a police vest when he tried to hold-up two men and a woman inside a home on Indy’s southeast side.

This happened around midnight in the 9000 block of East McGregor Road near South Franklin Road and East Southport Road.

Police say one of the people inside the home pulled out a gun and shot Simion.

Simion fled from the home, but police found him. Medics transported him to the hospital to be treated for a gunshot wound to his buttocks. Police say it is not a life-threatening injury.

“You think you’re in a safe neighborhood, but no one is ever safe anymore… I’m gonna put up some extra storm doors and replace some of the locks to make sure they are quality locks,” the neighbor said.

Investigators are looking at evidence and searching for surveillance video from other homes in the area to get a better idea of how this happened in such a quiet neighborhood.

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/crime...228279054.html

Homeowner shoots burglary suspect in the neck

CENTREVILLE
    An intruder was shot in the neck early Friday morning as he and another man were attempting to break into a home in Centreville.

Centreville Detective Sgt. DeMarius Thomas said the incident occurred about 2 a.m.

“We got a call in reference to a home invasion with a suspect shot. Officers responded and fond a man down suffering from a gunshot wound,” Thomas said.

“We believe he was hit in the neck (by the homeowner),”Thomas said. The suspect was taken to an area hospital for treatment of his wound,” Thomas said.

The unidentified suspect is believed to be in serious condition, Thomas said.

The second suspect, who police believe had a weapon, ran off and has not been located.

The suspects did not get inside of the victim’s home, Thomas confirmed.

Read more here: https://www.bnd.com/news/local/crime...#storylink=cpy

https://www.northcoastjournal.com/Ne...s-self-defense

Sheriff's Office: Benbow Shooting Was Self-Defense
    Posted By Kimberly Wear @kimberly_wear on Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM

Kimberly Wear
    click to enlarge sheriff.png The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office has released a man arrested in the wake of a Benbow shooting after finding that he acted in self-defense.

According to a release, the decision was made after the criminal investigations division completed interviews and reviewed evidence connected to the incident that took place Wednesday on the 300 block of Twin Trees Road.

Thomas Neil Harris was released from custody Thursday. The release states that the case is “being forwarded to the District Attorney’s Office for review and final determination of charges.”

Read the release from the sheriff’s office below:
    The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division has completed interviews and has reviewed the evidence associated with the shooting that occurred on the 300 block of Twin Trees Road March 20, 2019. At this time, the Sheriff’s Office has determined Thomas Neil Harris to have acted in self-defense.

Mr. Harris was released from the Humboldt County Correctional Facility in the evening of March 21 per Penal Code 849(b)1.

This case is being forwarded to the District Attorney’s Office for review and final determination of charges.

Page 212 of 339 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222262312 ... LastLast