Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 59 of 339 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

4 today

Man shot during home invasion faces felony charge

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi..._invasion.html
    CHEBOYGAN, MI -- A 19-year-old Cheboygan man has been charged with a felony after police said he unlawfully entered a home in Benton Township and was shot.

On Monday, the Cheboygan County Prosecutor's Office issued a charge for first-degree home invasion against Charles Matthew Grimm. If convicted, Grimm faces up to 20 years in prison.

The charge stems from an Oct. 8 incident in which police said Grimm and an 18-year-old Benton Township man got into an argument. Later that day, Grimm and "several friends" went to the 18-year-old's residence to confront him.

When the occupant of the home didn't come out, police said Grimm made entrance to the residence, where he was shot in the shoulder with a .22 rifle. Soon after, the shooting victim left the scene in a vehicle with several people.

"The occupant felt threatened and used the rifle to stop what he perceived as a threat," said Sheriff Dale Clarmont in a statement.

Authorities are investigating a shooting in Northern Michigan during which police said an individual was wounded after breaking into a home in Benton Township.

Officers located the vehicle a short time later and called for an ambulance to transport Grimm to McLaren Northern Michigan hospital in Petosky, where he was treated for a non-life-threatening wound.

On Monday, Grimm turned himself in to police custody. He has been arraigned in Cheboygan District Court, and is being held on a $20,000 bond.

5 today. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Police: Woman shoots, kills teen who carjacked her son in Clearwater

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...rwater/2341342
    CLEARWATER — They met after dusk in the parking lot of a bank for what seemed like a routine transaction.

Louise Ornduff and her son, Kalaeb, were there to negotiate the sale of a 2016 Nissan Rogue with Lasupta Singletary, 18, and Jernalen Dreshaw Coleman, 17, at the Bank of America at Belcher and Belleair roads, according to Clearwater police.

But instead of a handover of cash for car, the meeting turned deadly.

The men, armed with guns, demanded the keys to the 2016 Hyundai Veloster that Kalaeb Ornduff, 18, had driven to the bank, police said. As they drove from the scene, Louise Ornduff fired a shot, hitting Singletary.

Doctors at Mease Countryside Hospital pronounced him dead. Though police said Ornduff fired the shot, Coleman, of Dade City, faces second-degree felony murder and armed robbery charges. Prosecutors can pursue a felony murder charge against a co-conspirator in Florida when someone dies during the commission of a crime.

What's less clear is what will happen to Louise Ornduff, 36. Police are reviewing details of the case with the Pasco-Pinellas State Attorney's Office to determine whether to bring charges against her. Many details that could determine whether a claim of self-defense is legally sound have yet to be released by investigators, citing the open investigation.

"The timeline is going to be critical," Deputy Chief Eric Gandy said during a news conference. "It's important to determine whether the threat existed when the shot was fired.

With the limited information released by police, experts have varying opinions about whether Florida's stand your ground law would be applicable.

For some, it doesn't look promising.

"She's got big problems," said Denis deVlaming, a longtime defense lawyer and former prosecutor.

Use of the stand your ground defense has three criteria, deVlaming said: the person is not engaged in illegal activity, the person has a right to be there, and if the person used deadly force to prevent great bodily harm or death or commission of a forcible felony.

Had she shot just before or during the course of the robbery, she would have been justified, deVlaming said. But she loses that ability when the perpetrators are fleeing.

Key details of the incident will likely come into play, such as whether the car was going toward the Ornduffs, where the bullets entered the car and how far away the car was from them, said Charles Rose, a law professor and director of the Center of Excellence in Advocacy at Stetson University College of Law.

Police declined to release a more detailed timeline of the event, as well as the number and type of guns used in the incident. Gandy said there were "some complications and questions over the transaction that occurred ... and the circumstances of how these two groups came together" but did not elaborate further. Both cars are owned by the Ornduff family, police said.

Records show Louise Ornduff, of Clearwater, has no criminal history in Florida — another potential factor in deciding whether to bring forth charges, deVlaming said.

Coleman was sentenced to one year probation in February for carrying a concealed firearm, according to state records. Singletary, of Zephyrhills, was arrested in April on charges of armed burglary, larceny and grand theft auto and for similar charges a month later. The status of those cases is unclear.

It doesn't appear either teen legally owned the guns in Monday's incident, Gandy said. He declined to say whether Louise Ornduff did.

Louise Ornduff and Singletary's family members declined to comment Tuesday.

With the limited information available, Rose, like deVlaming, said he doesn't see a self-defense claim hitting the mark.

"I don't see the immediate threat," he said. "Stand your ground doesn't let you shoot people because you're mad at them or they took your toy."

But Bill Loughery, a former chief assistant prosecutor for Pinellas and Pasco counties, saw the situation differently.

He said the fact that investigators charged Coleman with second-degree murder indicates they believe he was killed during the commission of a crime, which Loughery said can include a portion of time after the crime happens.

Plus, he said, bringing forth charges would complicate Louise Ornduff's likelihood to testify as a witness in the incident.

"I think it would be unlikely that they would make charges against her," he said. "By virtue of the fact that they're suggesting the bad guy was killed during the commission of an armed robbery, there's really no legal charges against her that would be legitimate."

6 today.

Woman shoots man in head at SW Houston apartments, police say
    By Brittany Taylor - Digital News Editor , Leigh Frillici - Reporter

https://www.click2houston.com/news/1...lex-police-say
    HOUSTON - A man was killed and a woman was injured during a shooting at an apartment complex in southwest Houston, police said.

The shooting was reported at 4:53 p.m. in the 4800 block of Fuqua Street.
    Houston police said the couple was romantically involved. Police said 35-year-old Tyrone T. Scott aggressively drove up to her apartment and used his car to block her into her garage after he saw her talking to a male friend.

The woman's friend left and parked his vehicle nearby.

Police said Scott and the woman argued and he begin hitting her in the head and face.

“He came over and he demanded some things of her that she was not willing to produce,” said Houston Police Department Detective Fil Waters. “He assaulted her by striking her in the face with his fist.”

Police said she grabbed a pistol from her car to defend herself. They said she fired at Scott and struck him.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said she was also was injured after accidentally shooting herself in the wrist.

“In the moment, she not only shot the person that assaulted her, but also shot herself,” Waters said.

A neighbor said the woman called out to her for help, saying she had shot a man in the head and that she didn't mean too, but that he wouldn't leave.

Another witness was the woman’s friend. He was in his car when the fight broke out.

“He heard the gunshots, saw her come out of the garage and she was bleeding,” Waters said. “He was the one who called 911.”

Police said the woman was taken to the hospital with a self-inflicted gun wound to the arm.

Waters said he will not be asking for charges to be filed against the woman unless he learns of information that changes the case. Ultimately, he said the decision lies with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office.

7 today.

Store Owner Shoots Customer Who Threatened Family, Trashed Store, Police Say

A West Philadelphia corner store owner opened fire on a customer he claims threatened to kill his wife and kids, investigators said.
    Officers responded to H & K Deli at Dewey and Market streets Wednesday night to find a 22-year-old male shot in the right leg.
    "He tells them he was in a store across the street," Philadelphia police Lt. John Walker, with Southwest Detectives, said.
    When officers go into the corner store, the business owners tells them the 22-year-old started throwing trash after an argument over an item, Walker said.

"He chased him out of the store and told him 'never to come back,'" Walker said.
    On his way out the door, the 22-year-old threatened to kill the store owner, his wife and children, the store owner told police.
    The 22-year-old returned to the store, anyway, around 10 p.m.

"The owner then confronts him and tells him to get out of the store," Walker said. "At some point, the owner pulls a gun and fires a shot."
    The shooting left the 22-year-old in stable condition.
    The Philadelphia District Attorney's Office would determine if any charges will be filed.

Read more: https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...#ixzz4voUijxh1
    Follow us: @nbcphiladelphia on Twitter | NBCPhiladelphia on Facebook

8 today.

In tears, Springfield man who shot pit bull says dog had his pet by the neck

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...eck/758021001/
    Tom Brashears said Thursday he shot a free-running pit bull with his 9mm pistol because the dog had grabbed Brashears' leashed dog, Montana, by the neck.

The incident happened Wednesday afternoon at the corner of Brower Street and North Eagle Avenue. The pit bull was killed.

Brashears said he had just come home from work and took Montana, his year-old shelter rescue dog, for his daily walk.

"We get almost to the end of the block and I look up and see these two white pit bulls in the yard. I stop. I froze immediately," he recalled. "I was getting ready to turn around and go back the other way when all of a sudden that one gets up, he looks at us, and he starts running full blast for us."

Brashears said the pit bull's owner came running out of his house trying to get the dog, which he said only made the dog run faster.

Brashears, holding Montana by his leash, said he pulled his pistol from its holster as the pit bull attacked and grabbed Montana by the neck.

"I was afraid he was going to kill Montana," Brashears said. "I shot him. I don't remember pulling the trigger, but the gun was touching the dog when it happened."

Brashears said he is unsure if he pulled the trigger or the gun went off when the pit bull jerked upward while still latched onto Montana's neck. After the shot, he said, the dog ran 10 or 12 feet and collapsed.
    A neighbor, on hearing the shot, came out with a handgun and pointed it at Brashears.

Brashears said he has a concealed carry permit and he put the gun on the ground, then called 911 to report the shooting.

He said he urged the 911 dispatcher to get police officers to the scene quickly "because there's a guy pointing a gun at me."

Police arrived and confiscated both weapons.
    Brashears said he decided to speak out to clarify what happened. He wept after recounting the ordeal.

"The reason why he was shot where he was shot is because he was at my feet. He had ahold of my dog's neck. I didn't have a choice."

"I'm not a bad guy. I'm not a killer," he added. "I would not have done that to that dog If I had any other way out. Tell them I said I'm sorry. I'm the one that did it. I gotta live with it."

He also had a message for anyone who owns a dog.

"No matter what kind of dog you've got, keep them penned or tied up," he said. "This forced me into doing something I would normally not have done."

The News-Leader is still trying to reach the owner of the pit bull.

Police spokeswoman Lisa Cox said the case is under review and no citations had been issued. She said police had released the gun back to the neighbor who pointed it at Brashears.

Springfield Municipal Prosecutor Carl Yendes said there is an ordinance against firing a gun in the city limits, but there are exceptions for cases in which the shooting is deemed “proper and necessary.”

In determining whether it was proper and necessary to fire a gun in the city, Yendes said prosecutors consider all the evidence available from a police investigation.

“It’s case by case,” Yendes said. “We have to look at what happened and why.”

Yendes said he did not know anything about the shooting on Eagle Avenue and could not comment on whether it might fit the criteria to make it legal. Yendes said Thursday he was unaware if police had submitted any evidence to city prosecutors related to that case.

There is also a city ordinance against permitting a dog to run at large.

This guy was found to have used a gun to defend himself, but he was guilty of having a concealed gun.

Man acquitted in shooting death
    Jury believes Derrick Bailey's self-defense claim

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/news/...be0645b15.html
    ST. JOSEPH — A Berrien County jury believed the self-defense claim of a Coloma man who shot and killed his girlfriend’s ex-boyfriend in May.

Jurors deliberated four hours before reaching a verdict Monday.

Derrick Bailey, 23, of Coloma, was acquitted of all murder charges, including first- and second-degree murder and manslaughter. However, he was found guilty of carrying a concealed weapon, a pistol.

It was day five of Bailey’s trial in the May 1 shooting death of Nicholaus Kling, 37, of Eau Claire.

“This was a tragic situation, and we agree with and respect the jury’s verdict,” Public Defender Carl Macpherson said late Monday. “We believe it was the just verdict considering all the circumstances because Mr. Bailey acted in self-defense.”

Berrien Assistant Prosecutor Patricia Ceresa declined comment. Kling’s friends and family, clearly upset with the verdict, also declined comment.

Bailey faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison on the CCW charge. Had he been convicted of first-degree murder he would have faced life in prison without parole. Second-degree murder carries a penalty of life or any term of years, while manslaughter carries a maximum penalty of 15 years. Bailey was also found not guilty of a two-year offense of committing a felony while armed with a firearm.

Bailey was a passenger in a car driven by his girlfriend, Jade Roy, the evening of May 1 when they were confronted by Kling about a mile from Roy’s house, according to trial testimony. Kling, who was in the road at the intersection of Red Arrow Highway and Benton Center Road in Benton Township, ran up to Roy’s car, slammed his hands on the hood, pointed at Bailey and said “I’m going to f---ing kill him,” Bailey and Roy both told the jury in Berrien County Trial Court.

He then moved around to the passenger’s side, where Bailey was buckled in, pointed at him again and said “I’m going to f---ing kill you,” according to testimony. Bailey, who took the witness stand in his own defense last Friday, told the jury that somehow the car door opened and Kling started punching him. He said he shot Kling because he feared for his life.

Kling was shot three times, once in the face, once in the chest and once in the abdomen, with the gunshot wound to the chest being the fatal wound.

In her closing argument Monday morning, Ceresa told the jury that Kling was unarmed and Bailey was the only one prepared for a confrontation. According to testimony, Bailey had two knives in one coat pocket and a pistol in the other pocket. Roy testified that the only thing in Kling’s hand when he approached them was a cigarette. But, she told the jury, she thought he might have a gun.

Much of the trial testimony centered around text messages that Kling and Roy exchanged throughout the day on May 1 while Bailey was at work. Roy testified that moments before the encounter with Kling on the roadway, she told Bailey about the exchanges and told him Kling might be at her house and might want to fight him.

“They could have driven off. If you’re so afraid of this individual, why do you not drive off?” Ceresa said in her closing argument.

In his closing argument, Macpherson told the jury Bailey was ambushed in an unprovoked, violent and sudden attack.

“He had two choices. He could choose to live or choose to die. He chose to live,” Macpherson said.

Bailey is free on bond and sentencing on the CCW charge is set for 1:30 p.m. Nov. 20.

2 today

No charges to be filed in two Morgan County homicides

http://www.decaturdaily.com/news/mor...10b32f58d.html
    No charges will be filed in two homicides that took place this year, according to Morgan County District Attorney Scott Anderson, because a grand jury returned "no bills" in the cases.

The victims in the homicides were Nicholas Elliott Cazier, killed May 9, and Bruce Rashad Moody, killed Jan. 19.

Cazier was shot and killed at Eagle One Metal Roofing on U.S. 31 in Decatur.

"The investigation concluded that Cazier armed himself with a weapon during the argument prior to being shot," Anderson said in a written statement. "Based upon its investigation, Decatur Police Department determined that the shooting was justified."

Moody was shot and killed at a residence on Beard Street Southwest in Decatur.

"Moody was shot by his ex-wife's boyfriend after breaking into the residence while he was armed with a box cutter," Anderson said.

Anderson said there were three minor children in the residence at the time of the incident, and that Decatur police determined the shooting was justified.

"It is a tragedy anytime a person loses their life under these circumstances," Anderson said. "However, our grand jury gave thoughtful consideration to these cases and determined that no crime had been committed."

Anderson did not release the names of the shooters.

3 today. Sounded like a possible mistake until you get to the part where the step grandson had socks on his hands.

Delaware County Shoots Relative Attempting To Break Into Home, Deputies Say

http://www.newson6.com/story/3662628...e-deputies-say
    DELAWARE COUNTY, Oklahoma - A man was taken to the hospital after police say he broken into a Delaware County couples residence and was shot.
    According to the Delaware County Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded to a home south of Leech just after 1:00 Wednesday morning.

When deputies arrived at Jim and Rachel Martin’s home, a man was on the floor of the attached garage being treated by first responders.

The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Dallas Luper, the step-grandson of the Martins.

Deputies said the couple was asleep when Rachael Martin heard a noise in the garage. They said she noticed the air conditioner had been removed from the garage window.

After waking her husband, he deputies said he got his gun and both went to the garage.

They said when Mrs. Martin was walking along the passenger side of a vehicle, a man jumped at her. Deputies said Mr. Martin got between his wife and the suspect and fired four shots.

The suspect was hit twice – once below the right eye and once in the right shoulder, according to deputies.

The Martins told police they didn’t know their step-grandson was the suspect because he was wearing a hoodie with the drawstrings pulled tight over his face and had socks over his hands.

Deputies said Luper was flown to a Tulsa hospital and is waiting for surgery.

4 today

Homeowner shoots prowler in Vancouver yard, police say

http://www.kgw.com/news/homeowner-sh...-say/484246496
    VANCOUVER, Wash. -- A homeowner shot and seriously injured a prowler who was in his backyard Wednesday morning, Vancouver police said.

Police were called just before 5:30 a.m. to the report of a disturbance in the 14500 block of Northeast 49th Circle.

Investigators said the homeowner was awakened by the prowler in the fenced backyard, according to Vancouver police spokeswoman Kim Kapp.

"The homeowner arms himself with a gun and confronts the suspect in the yard," she said. "A physical altercation occurs between the two and the homeowner fires one round striking the suspect."

The suspect was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of life-threatening injuries

The Vancouver Police Department Major Crime Unit is investigating.

Shelbyville grandfather shoots at thieves to protect grandson

http://cbs4indy.com/2017/10/19/shelb...tect-grandson/
    SHELBYVILLE, Ind. – A grandfather fired back at intruders. The 84-year-old says he pulled the trigger in order to protect his property and his grandson.

“Nah, [my] grandpa isn’t scared of nothing,” said grandson Mason Elliott.

When Robert Elliott looked out his bedroom window Tuesday afternoon, he saw masked men in a truck creeping around his Shelbyville home. Not only was Elliott armed with a gun, but he was also armed with several surveillance cameras.

Surveillance footage shows an intruder using an ax to bust down a barn door; a second later, another person runs in right behind him. Elliott says he watched as the burglars got closer and closer to another home where his 23-year-old grandson was staying.

“Well, my first thought was my grandson is upstairs, I got to go over there because he has no protection,” said Robert Elliot.

The 84-year-old grandfather grabbed his gun. His plan was to just keep an eye on the masked men until police arrived but shots started flying.

“They were leaving but for some reason they were firing at me because they saw me standing out here, so when they did that I fired back at them,” said Elliot.

Shortly after the shooting, police found 18-year-old Jajuan Dinkins hiding in a dumpster and 20-year-old Roan Waters in a nearby cornfield.

“Oh, they definitely know what they’re doing, definitely,” said Elliot.

Just last week, someone broke into Elliott’s home and stole TVs, clothing and jewelry. Investigators believe both crimes could be connected.

“[I’m] surprised to see that they were brazen enough to come back in broad daylight again, same house , and in the middle of the day,” said Mason Elliott.

This grandfather and his grandson are relieved no one was hurt. They hope there isn’t a next time--but they’re ready just in case.

“It’s just me and him out here. If they come back, they’re going to have two of us to deal with,” said Mason Elliott.

Dinkins and Waters are each facing several felony charges including burglary and criminal recklessness. Police are still looking for a third suspect.

Page 59 of 339 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast