Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 178 of 339 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228278 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

http://www.wandtv.com/story/38874557...rs-in-danville

Homeowner fires shots at intruders in Danville
    Posted: Aug 13, 2018 4:13 PM EDT
    DANVILLE, Ill. (WAND) - A homeowner fired shots on Sunday morning after intruders tried to break into their home, according to police.

Officers in Danville say they responded to a home in the 900 block of E. Fairchild Street for a home invasion in progress. Officers spoke with the homeowner who stated he had an intruder in his home and fired his gun in self-defense.

The homeowner said he heard loud knocking at his door before seeing two men in the backyard. After hearing someone enter the home he armed himself with a handgun, and fired several shots at the intruder who tried to get in through a window. The intruders fled the area on foot.

Danville police later interviewed a person of interest who showed up for a gunshot wound at Carle Hospital in Urbana. Police say the person was uncooperative and they could not connect him to the home invasion.

We will see how this one goes.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/...e/69-583805230

Was deadly shooting self-defense?
    When an argument over a loud party evolved into a physical altercation Sunday morning, A Belding man shot and killed his neighbor. Detectives say it may have been self-defense.

When an argument over a loud party evolved into a physical altercation Sunday morning, A Belding man shot and killed his neighbor. Detectives say it may have been self-defense.
    GRATTAN TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A Belding man who shot and killed a neighbor may have acted out of self-defense.

Robert Morgan, 44, was killed early Sunday in Grattan Township during what detectives call an “altercation over a loud party”.

Morgan was hosting a party on a nearby vacant lot he owns. Earlier, the shooter complained to Morgan about the noise and reckless driving on the narrow dirt roads in the neighborhood.

He told police and friends Morgan and a 22-year-old man came back later to threaten him and his family. He says he fired in self-defense.

“He had to do what he had to do,” explains the neighbor across the street. “He said everybody was threatened in the house. Pulled into the front yard and started threatening everybody.”

“It evolved into a physical altercation and that is when the shot was fired,” says Sgt. Joel Roon of the Kent County Sheriff’s Department. “Self-defense is obviously a consideration in this case.”

The same bullet that killed Robert Morgan also wounded Jacob VanEnk, his 22-year-old companion.

He is expected to recover and tell his side of the story.

The police will send the results of their investigation to the Kent County Prosecutor to decide if the gun was fired in self-defense.

“The man had to do what he had to do,” repeats his neighbor, “He is a great guy. I have known him for quite a few years and he is nothing but a nice man.”

https://feltonbusinessnews.com/polic...robbery/10361/

Police: Raleigh man found shot to death suspected in convenience store robbery
    By Matthew Burns, WRAL senior producer/politics editor
    Written by Katie Hansen on August 13, 2018
    — A man found shot to death in north Raleigh late Saturday might have been wounded in a convenience store robbery that night, police said Monday.

The body of Derrick Malik Wiley, 21, was found in the 4200 block of Waterbury Road, off New Hope Church Road just west of Capital Boulevard.

Investigators said Wiley was a suspect in a robbery of a Mini Mart in the 5500 block of Old Wake Forest Road. During that incident, a store employee exchanged gunfire with the robber.

Wiley was found with a gunshot wound to his leg, police said.

No charges have been filed, but police said they would consult with the Wake County District Attorney’s Office before making a final decision in the case.

https://journalstar.com/news/state-a...0914c53e2.html

Sheridan County landowner shoots chicken-killing lion

For the second time in two months, a mountain lion has been killed for preying on livestock in western Nebraska.

A Sheridan County landowner shot the 10- to 12-month-old female at about 6 a.m. Tuesday, after seeing the animal killing his chickens. The landowner alerted the state Game and Parks Commission, which investigated the killing north of Hay Springs.

“We go out and look at the situation,” said Pat Molini, assistant administrator for the commission’s wildlife division. “In this case, everything adds up.”

Under state law, a livestock owner can immediately kill a mountain lion if it’s stalking, killing or consuming livestock on their property. They can also request it be killed by Game and Parks employees.

Last month, a state wildlife biologist trapped and killed an older adult male after it killed a domesticated goat near Chadron. But officials say livestock kills are relatively rare: In addition to this year’s cases, big cats are suspected of killing a calf in Blaine County in 2014, a pair of goats — counted as one kill — in Dawes County in 2017, and a calf in Sheridan County that same year.

The mountain lion killed Tuesday will undergo a necropsy so biologists can learn more about the animal’s health and habits.

In June, Game and Parks commissioners approved a mountain lion hunting season, the first since 2014. More than 600 hunters will be given permits for two areas of the Pine Ridge. The commission set the total take at eight cats — four in each area, and no more than two females in each area.

More on this one.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/che...pree/812873600

CHEROKEE COUNTY, Ga. - A couple of Cherokee County citizens are being credited with helping arrest a suspect wanted in a multi-county crime spree.

More than a dozen police reports implicate Jacob Henson, who deputies were after for weeks. They caught a break when they set up a perimeter in a neighborhood filled with people ready to help out.

"I think it wasn't smart for him to run through the neighborhood here," said Director Jay Baker, of the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office.

The warning signs were all over a rural Cherokee County neighborhood, but deputies said the violent suspect ignored them and ended up in handcuffs.

"You really should not come on someone's property, especially if you're wanted (because) people will come out guns a-blazing," a neighbor, who did not want to be identified, told Channel 2 Action News.

The neighbor, who lives off of Little Refuge Road, said the suspect was hiding on her property Monday afternoon.

Henson, 25, is linked to 15 crimes in Cherokee County over the past three weeks.

"I thought the perp was close by, so I ran in and got my gun," the neighbor said.

Authorities said Henson was running from deputies after a dirt bike wreck.

"I look out my window, and he's trying to hide in my carport, and I came out with my gun and chased him around my barn," the neighbor said.

It was around 12:30 p.m. when she said she fired four warning shots.

"By me firing shots in the air, it alerted my neighbor, so he knew he was coming his way," the neighbor said.

A neighbor held him at gunpoint until the sheriff and another deputy were able to arrest him.

"They both, together, helped stopped him, otherwise we probably wouldn't have gotten him yesterday to be quite honest with you," Baker said.

The sheriff's office said Henson pointed a shotgun at three victims while stealing vehicles across multiple counties.

Some neighbors said they didn't hide from a chance to do their part.

"I think neighbors need to stick together and watch out for each other," the neighbor said.

Henson remains in jail awaiting a court appearance Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    https://www.tribuneledgernews.com/lo...d26b962d4.html

Resident holds wanted man at gunpoint until deputies arrive

Updated at 2 p.m. on Aug. 13:

A Canton man who went on a spree of vehicle thefts, wrecked at least three of those vehicles and threatened three people with a sawed-off shotgun has been captured after a citizen held him at gunpoint, allowing sheriff’s deputies to apprehend him.

Jacob Cole Henson, 25, was captured off Little Refuge Road in Waleska on Monday after committing a myriad of crimes across multiple counties during more than a week of evading law enforcement, the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office reported shortly after the arrest.

Henson was wanted on multiple felonies and misdemeanors including charges of burglary, theft by taking, criminal damage to property, obstruction, fleeing, reckless conduct and reckless driving. Jay Baker, communications director for the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office, said Monday that Henson will face more charges from today’s crimes once he is formally booked into the jail.

“At about 3:30 this morning, a stolen vehicle out of Dawson County was involved in an accident and left running and abandoned on Little Refuge Road in the Waleska area,” Baker told the Tribune. “This is exactly the kind of activity that Mr. Henson’s been involved in for the past going on 10 days now. The deputies have been out here since 3:30 this morning riding the roads and driving around Little Refuge. We had both ends of Little Refuge closed off in case he tried to leave.”

Baker said during law enforcements’ patrolling, one of the deputies saw a dirtbike with a white male rider that “looked suspicious at that time of day” and began pursuit on Little Refuge Road. The rider, who was later identified as Henson, wrecked the vehicle at 1783 Little Refuge Road and fled into the woods, Baker said.

Cherokee Sheriff’s deputies, Sheriff Frank Reynolds and members of the Georgia State Patrol converged on the area where Henson was last seen before shots were heard through the woods, Baker said.

“They heard some shots fired that we believe were from citizens, and the Sheriff and another deputy came up over the hill and Henson was being held at bay by a citizen and was taken into custody,” he said

Baker said it seemed that the resident of the private property deep in the woods off Little Refuge Road had gotten into an “altercation” of some kind with Henson before law enforcement arrive on scene.

“This is brand new information, so we don’t know if Henson tried to steal something or what exactly happened at that house, but there was a confrontation between a citizen and Henson,” he said.

Baker said the Sheriff’s Office had also been informing residents within two miles of where Henson was believed to be hiding that he was on the loose via calls through the CodeRED app and social media blasts.

“We’re just happy that this has been brought to an end. Citizens have been providing us information and investigators have been following up on leads, and we’re very thankful for that and glad that this is over with,” he said.

https://www.newstimes.com/local/arti...e-13156052.php

Fatal Kent shooting ruled self-defense; victim’s shoe print was on kicked-in door
    By Dirk Perrefort5:52 pm EDT, Tuesday, August 14, 2018
    KENT — The suspect in a December homicide was trying to defend himself when he shot and killed another man with a shotgun, authorities said Tuesday.

“Several members of my staff, including myself, reviewed the investigation and concluded that it appeared to be a lawful exercise of self-defense,” State’s Attorney David Shepack said.

Andre Edness, 32, the father of five children, was killed Dec. 1 when he was shot in the chest at a home on Kent Cornwall Road.

State Police investigated the homicide for more than six months before closing the case without making any arrests.

More Information

“I was in fear for my life,” said Hunter Chatfield. “My roommates wife’s husband broke into my bedroom door with a knife he was going to (expletive) kill me. I killed him. I shot him. He’s (expletive) dead. It was self defense. He was going to stab me”

Hunter Chatfield called 911 shortly after the homicide and admitted he had shot Edness on recordings that were obtained Tuesday by Hearst Connecticut Media.

“I was in fear for my life,” a frantic Chatfield told police. On the tape he can be heard screaming that Edness “broke into my bedroom door with a knife. He was going to (expletive) kill me. I killed him. I shot him. He’s (expletive) dead. It was self defense. He was going to stab me.”

Sara Edness, the victim’s wife, was home at the time of the shooting and also called police.

“My husband was shot,” Edness said hysterically as young children screamed in the background. “Oh my God. My husband was shot. He’s dead. I think he’s dead.”

Sara Edness and the couple’s five children had moved to the home from Massachusetts to Kent several months before while her husband was recuperating from a serious car accident.

Andre Edness joined the family shortly before the shooting and was also staying in the home, according to David Moraghan, an attorney representing Chatfield.

Moraghan said Andre Edness had asked Chatfield for a ride to the liquor store and began threatening his client when he refused. Edness then grabbed a knife and threatened to kill Chatfield, who ran to his bedroom for safety.

“He warned him multiple times not to enter the room,” Moraghan said. ”Edness kicked in the door and my client defended himself.“

Moraghan said an imprint from Edness’ foot was left on the door after he kicked it down.

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/201808...rglary-suspect

Area man reports shooting at burglary suspect

A Hutchinson man told authorities he shot at an intruder who came at him with a hammer early Tuesday morning at a shop he has in the county, though he missed.

The suspect fled the scene.

Jason Hardin, 33, of Hutchinson told a sheriff’s deputy he was working in his shop at 2806 W Fourth about 20 minutes after midnight when he heard a window being broken out on a fifth-wheel trailer owned by Alan Wells of Hutchinson that he stores on Hardin’s property.

As he went to check on the noise, a white man came out of the trailer with a hammer and came towards him.

Hardin said he had a handgun and fired a shot towards the suspect. The suspect was not hit and ran from the scene.

Nothing was apparently taken from the trailer.

Two today

https://www.chron.com/houston/articl...h-13157486.php

Cable repairman shoots armed robber in Northline
    By Alyson Ward6:55 am CDT, Wednesday, August 15, 2018
    An 18-year-old man was shot late Tuesday while attempting to rob a pair of cable repairmen in north Houston, police said.

The attempted robbery happened just before midnight, said Lt. Larry Crowson of the Houston Police Department. Two cable repairmen were working on a cable box in the Northline neighborhood, near Fulton and Veenstra.

Cable repairman shoots armed robber in Northline

Media: Metro Video
    At least two armed men approached them and attempted to rob them, Crowson said, but one of the repairmen - who has a concealed handgun license - pulled out a gun.

They exchanged gunfire, Crowson said, and one of the robbery suspects was shot. He ran down the street and collapsed. He was taken to a hospital.

The other robber fled in a compact car, Crowson said. Police were still searching for him early Wednesday.

3 today

https://www.10tv.com/article/woman-s...whitehall-home

Woman shoots intruder who broke into Whitehall home
    08/15/18 03:15 am EDT
    Woman shoots intruder who broke into Whitehall home

WHITEHALL - One person is in critical condition following a shooting in Whitehall.

According to Whitehall Police, a man broke into a home in the 4000 block of Beechcreek Road around 2:30 Wednesday morning. A woman who was in the home alone shot the intruder, according to a sergeant at the scene.

Police arrived and found the man inside the home. Emergency personnel transported the man to Grant Medical Center in critical condition.

At this point, police are trying to determine how the man got into the home.

http://www.katc.com/story/38891889/g...-defense-claim

Grand Jury agrees with Carencro man's self-defense claim
    Posted: Aug 15, 2018 2:10 PM EDT
    A Lafayette Parish grand jury has agreed with a Carencro man's claim that he acted in defense of his family when he shot another man on the Fourth of July.

Darren Vicknair, 53, was booked into jail in connection with the shooting that left Benorian Leonard, 18, dead. He was booked with being a felon in possession of a firearm, because he has a previous drug conviction and wasn't supposed to have a gun.

The members of the grand jury wrote that they determined "that there is no evidence of a criminal act by Darren Vicknair."

At the time of the shooting, we made a public records request to the Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office for details on the incident.

According to the arrest affidavit, Leonard walked from a house on Lindsey Circle to Vicknair's home there, carrying a shotgun. He allegedly refused to leave, and made threats that he was going to shoot everyone there. He then allegedly cocked the shotgun and pointed it at Vicknair's daughter and her friend, the affidavit states. Vicknair fired three rounds at Leonard, striking him in the arm and in the chest, the affidavit states.

Page 178 of 339 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228278 ... LastLast