Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 50 of 339 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

This goes with post 486. I just wanted to post this version because of the positive attitude of the police.

http://connecticut.news12.com/story/...d-home-invader

Bridgeport man shoots armed home invader

BRIDGEPORT -
    Bridgeport police say a city man acted "heroically" when he shot an armed intruder in his house on Kossuth Street Thursday.

"I give him kudos that he was able to react the way he did," says Bridgeport Police Chief AJ Perez. "He defended himself, and he defended his home."

Police say Oscar Abraham, 43, and at least one accomplice broke into a home containing young children and found the homeowner armed with a properly permitted weapon.

The homeowner shot Abraham, who fled with the second man in a green Nissan Titan, police say. They eventually arrested him and brought him to the hospital to treat gunshot wounds to his chest and knee.

Perez says he faces a charge of home invasion. A judge set his bond at $500,000. Police say the accomplice will be in custody soon.

The homeowner will not be charged with a crime, police say.

2 today

http://wane.com/2017/09/21/good-sama...ts-for-police/

Good Samaritan holds robbery suspect at gunpoint, waits for police

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – A Good Samaritan helped police capture a man suspected of robbing a Family Dollar store, Wednesday night.

Harold Jackson is accused of walking into the Family Dollar at 2011 Broadway. According to police reports, Jackson flashed a gun at a cashier then ran off with an undisclosed amount cash and four packs of cigarettes.

A Fort Wayne Police officer was traveling West on Taylor Street approaching Broadway, around 6:30 p.m. The officer saw a man running around the corner of Family Dollar. The man was wearing all black, with a black mask, and had a gray plastic bag in hand. The officer tried to follow him but lost sight of the suspect.

Mug shot Harold Jackson provided by the Allen Co. Sheriff’s Dept.
    Eric Spicer was getting ready to take his dog on a walk when he noticed a man hiding in the bushes. He flagged down the officer to let him know. As he walked back toward his home he saw the same man, crossing Lindley Avenue onto Parkview Avenue, but wearing different clothes.

“I knew it was him,” said Spicer. “He was probably ten feet away when I told him, ‘Hey, the police are right there. You should just give up.'”

Spicer continued to try negotiating with him but the man was not ready to give up. He told Spicer he wanted to hide.

“I told him I wouldn’t hide him and I asked him just to sit down right on this stoop,” he said. “I told him to just wait for police, and that they had a K-9, and that he was going to get hurt if didn’t.”

When the man sat down Spicer noticed he had a gun. He tried to get the suspect to toss it.

“I said, ‘You’re going to get in a lot of trouble with that handgun. You should just go through that up on that porch,'” said Spicer.

Spicer said the man put it down for a moment but picked it back up. He walked onto Spicer’s porch and tried to open the front door. It was locked. That’s when Spicer found an opportunity.

As he was coming off my steps he put the handgun into the bag full of money,” he said. “That’s when I pulled my gun out and ordered him to lie down and wait for the police. For a moment he tried to plead with me and I just told him to shut up.”

Spicer was standing behind the suspect as he was on the ground. He yelled for help and held him at gunpoint until police arrived. Harold Jackson was taken into police custody, according to the police report.

Police later determined the gun, believed to be carried by Jackson, was a BB gun. Police searched the bushes along Lindley Avenue and located numerous articles of all black clothing.

“It just goes to show you,” he said. “You never know what they’re going to do and criminals aren’t always smart.”

According to a police report entire incident was recorded on police dash-cam video however police declined to release it.
    Last edited by internet troll; September 23rd, 2017 at 08:06 AM.

3 for today.

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/ma...147e2ab9a.html

Marion police investigate early morning shooting

MARION, Va.—The Marion Police Department is investigating an early Friday morning shooting.

Police said they received a report of a possible breaking and entering at a home in town. Marion officers and Smyth County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a home in the 100 block of Cemetery Street and found the resident still on scene.

Officers learned shots had been fired and one person had been injured, according to a news release. Officers later found a person, identified by police as the suspect, suffering from two gunshot wounds. The person was taken into custody and transported to Smyth County Community Hospital, where he is reported to be in serious, but stable condition.

Police have remained on scene at the home as they continue their investigation. Police said they anticipate to file charges and will provide additional information as it becomes available.

4 for today.

http://www.starbeacon.com/news/local...1f2a46a9e.html

Grand jury declines to indict man who shot home intruder

JEFFERSON — The Ashtabula County grand jury declined to indict a Conneaut man accused of shooting a woman during a home invasion incident in June, officials said.

The grand jury on Wednesday decided to no-bill the case involving Wayne Heinonen, 64, of Woodland Ave. Heinonen had been charged with aggravated assault, a fourth-degree felony, in the incident.

Conneaut Law Director Kyle Smith said Thursday the city will not pursue the matter.

"The case is closed," he said. "The case went to the grand jury and they made their decision. We respect that and thank them for their consideration."

Heinonen told police he fired one shot from a .22 pistol at a woman who had broken into his home early on the morning of June 19. The bullet struck the woman, later identified as Jennifer Perry of Cranberry, Pennsylvania, in the lower back.

Perry was found a short distance from Heinonen's house and spent a few days in the hospital. She has been charged with burglary, which is a second-degree felony, and also a misdemeanor charge of theft, according to court records.

Edith Jonas, Heinonen's attorney, said her client had the opportunity to address the grand jury this week.

"It was a very odd situation, but justice has been served here," she said Thursday.

Heinonen said Thursday he was relieved and grateful for the grand jury's decision.

"They did the right thing," he said. "I feel I didn't do nothing wrong. It's a little scary worrying about being arrested for protecting your home."

Heinonen said he met Perry about 20 years ago through a girlfriend he had at the time. Heinonen said he hadn't seen her again until early this summer, when Perry showed up to ask for money.

After that, Heinonen said his home had been broken into multiple times at night while he was sleeping and he believes Perry was responsible.

"I was robbed six times in two weeks," he said.

Heinonen said he was asleep early on the morning of June 19 when he awoke to a figure on his bedroom floor, hands in a dresser drawer.

"I heard a noise and when I lifted my head I saw the brim of a ball cap," he said. "I grabbed her and she broke away."

Heinonen said he grabbed a .22 caliber derringer and ordered her to stop. When she fled, Heinonen said he pulled the trigger.

Perry appears to have entered his home through a broken basement window that had been secured and barricaded, Heinonen said.

"(The shooting) wasn't done in anger," he said. "I was in shock to see someone crawling on my floor and their hands in the dresser."

In July, Perry pleaded guilty to a drug possession charge in Crawford County, Pennsylvania. Heinonen said he received a letter from Perry, written from jail, apologizing for her actions.

"She wrote to say she was so sorry," he said. "I hope the girl gets help."

Five for today

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...=news-arkansas

18-year-old in critical condition after being shot by Arkansas homeowner, police say

An 18-year-old is in critical condition after he was shot by a Pine Bluff resident Thursday morning, police said.

Pine Bluff police officers were called to a home in the 1500 block of West 29th Street around 5:15 a.m., spokesman Lt. David De Foor said. They found an 18-year-old man shot once in the head, he said.

The teen was taken to Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock, where he is in critical condition, according to the spokesman.

After an initial investigation, police believe the teen was trying to enter the residence, and the homeowner shot him, De Foor said. The homeowner was questioned by police then released pending the outcome of a full investigation.

De Foor said police have not determined why the 18-year-old was trying to get into the house. His name was not released.

From Jamaica

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...e?profile=1228

Man shot dead while chopping woman in Papine

ST ANDREW, Jamaica — A man, who was seen inflicting multiple chop wounds to a woman in Papine, St Andrew last night, was shot dead by a by-stander, who is a licensed firearm holder.

Reports from the Papine police are that about 7:20 pm, the man known only as 'Roots Man', was seen attacking a female, which caught the attention of the licensed firearm holder.

The licensed firearm holder intervened and 'Roots Man' was fatally shot after failure to stop him. 'Roots Man' was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The female was taken to hospital where she is in stable but critical condition.

Police say investigations are ongoing.

7 today.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...shot_at_b.html

Good Samaritan fires shot at business robber, no one injured

GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- A good Samaritan trying to stop a robber at Curtis Cleaners said he fired a round at the man in self-defense.

No one was hurt in the robbery at Curtis Cleaners, 450 Michigan St. NE.

A person came into the shop about 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 23 and demanded cash.

After the robbery, an employee came running out of business, screaming for help.

Brian Triplett and his wife had just parked their car across the street at the Bagel Beanery and intended to go inside to view an ArtPrize entry painted by a relative.

Triplett heard the commotion, grabbed his .40 caliber handgun from the car and gave chase across the street. Triplett has the registered weapon for "open carry" purposes.

He chased the robber into a parking lot adjacent to the cleaners. That's when the robber turned toward him and pointed what appeared to be a gun at him.

The robber was about 10 yards away.

Triplett said he fired one round at the robber but did not hit him.

"He turned around and pointed a weapon," Triplett said, explaining why he fired.

Police confiscated his handgun but he expects to get it back at some point.

"I have nothing to hide," he said.

http://www.ksla.com/story/36438726/m...uring-burglary

Homeowner shoots burglary suspect dressed as a woman

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
    A Shreveport man was dressed as a female when he was shot by a homeowner during an alleged burglary, authorities said.
    IHomeowner shoots burglary suspect dressed as a womannvestigators said 64-year-old Donald Weaver arrived at his home in the 1400 block of Oxford Street just before 8:30 p.m. Saturday.

When he found his property was being burglarized, he confronted the intruder and shot him once in his chest with a handgun.

Investigators said 26-year-old Jarico Carter was taken to University Health for treatment of a gunshot wound described as life-threatening.

The homeowner was released without being charged.

Carter will be charged with one count of simple burglary when he is released from the hospital, police said.

http://rare.us/rare-news/at-least-ei...unday-service/

“Extraordinarily brave” gun owner responded to the Nashville church shooting — and saved lives

One person is dead and eight, including the shooter, have been injured in a “mass casualty” incident at a church in Antioch, Tenn., this morning, reports WSMV.

The shooting happened at the Burnette Chapel Church. Police began receiving shots fired calls around 11:15 a.m., reports The Tennessean. Witnesses report that the shooter arrived to the scene wearing a “clown mask” before killing one victim in the church parking lot and moving inside.

Once inside, the gunman allegedly “pistol-whipped” an usher who confronted him. That would come back to haunt the shooter when the usher, who is licensed to carry, left the church and returned with his gun. Police credit the “extraordinarily brave” usher with holding the shooter at gunpoint until police arrived.

All victims are over the age of 60 except one, according to the Nashville Fire Department. Members of the church were moved to a safe location in the wake of the shooting.

Members of the church not injured are in a safe locational pic.twitter.com/e1pPdiBdGx
    Police have not released the names of the victims or the alleged shooter at this time, though they describe the suspect as a 26-year-old man who had “no relationship” to the church.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/crim...i-12226439.php

Police: Teenage suspect killed in Mississippi home invasion

HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — Police say a teenage suspect was fatally shot in an apparent home invasion in Mississippi.

Hattiesburg police told WDAM-TV that they believe the homeowner shot 17-year-old Justin Woodland on Sunday night. Authorities say no charges are being filed against the homeowner and the case will be presented to a grand jury.

Forrest County deputy coroner Lisa Klem says Woodland's body will be sent to an autopsy in Jackson.

Police have charged a second suspect, Anton Smith, with armed robbery and burglary of a dwelling. It is unclear whether Smith has an attorney to comment on the charges.

Page 50 of 339 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast