Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 339 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

Her son died robbing a Pizza Hut. Now she wants the employee who shot him to be charged with a crime.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3b472768248c

Temia Hairston’s last conversation with her son was not an easy one. Michael Grace Jr. had been fired from a series of low-paying, unskilled jobs. He had a 4-year-old child and a pregnant girlfriend. Essentially homeless, the 28-year-old was not in a position to take care of anyone, even himself.

His mother didn’t know what he needed more — a motivational speech or tough love.

“He had lost everything. He lost his Pizza Hut job. He lost his primary job. And because he lost his jobs, he lost his car also,” Hairston, of Charlotte, told The Washington Post. “We were talking about baby Michael and I was like, ‘you got to get it together because [the child’s mother] is having to take care of him by herself because you’re not working. I need you to get yourself together and get back on your grind.’ ”

Hairston said she wasn’t sure if her words sunk in. “He was nodding,” she said of the Oct. 29 conversation, “but he had a look on his face like he had nothing left to lose.”

A few hours after the talk, Grace laced up a pair of Air Jordans, put on a mask and went to the west Charlotte Pizza Hut where he used to work, armed with a gun. Police say he and two men waited until the business was closed, then burst into the restaurant.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say what happened next is still under investigation:

“Three individuals . . . were in the process of robbing the business when one of the employees fired his own personal handgun at one of the robbery suspects, striking him,” the police statement said.

[A robbery suspect sued after an officer’s kick broke his jaw. Does the lawsuit have merit?]

Grace was shot in the head and died on the floor in the early morning of Oct. 30, his mother said. Police say the gun fell from his hand and was recovered next to his body.

Now Hairston said she wants justice for her son, whose final act was one of “desperation.” She wants the Pizza Hut employee who killed him to be charged with a crime.

“My son was out doing something wrong … I don’t condone his actions, but he didn’t deserve to die,” she said Monday, while crying. “If you decide to rob someone, then you face a judge.

If prison was where he was going, then prison is where he should be instead of in the ground.”

Police have not charged the person who shot Grace or released his identity.

North Carolina law allows a person to use deadly force in self-defense or defense of another. A person is “justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat in any place” if that force is used to prevent death or bodily harm to himself or another.

Still, Pizza Hut employees aren’t allowed to carry guns on company property, according to an employee manual posted online. Their first priority during a crime is to contact the police, according to the manual.

“If you observe a weapon on an individual, other than a uniformed police officer, push the security panic button immediately,” the handbook says. Pizza Hut officials did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Fast-food workers who have killed robbers in North Carolina have been charged in the past.
    In 2007, Donte McFadden walked into a west Charlotte McDonald’s, tapped a gun on the counter and demanded cash, according to a report in the Charlotte Observer. Police say it was part of a scheme he concocted with his cousin — the restaurant’s manager.

[Unknown to robber, the woman on other side of the door was a Facebook friend]

McFadden was shot and killed by a McDonald’s worker, Tiemeyer Neshawn Sanders, who was a felon. Sanders was making burgers in the back when the robber walked into the location. He pulled out his own gun and fatally shot McFadden. Later, police charged him with possession of a firearm by a felon.

In the statement about Grace’s killing, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said the Pizza Hut franchisee was cooperating with the investigation.

“The security of its staff is of [utmost] concern,” the statement said. “They are providing support to the team members involved to ensure their health and well-being following this incident. The employee involved in the shooting has been placed on a leave of absence following further review.”

Hairston said she’s going to continue to push the company and the police for more details about her son’s death.

But first she has to travel to California, where her son was born and where he will be buried.

“This is one big, ongoing nightmare,” she said.

This one is not self defense, but I am including it because this is an anti who "got it" after being in a situation where she realized that a firearm is actually a useful thing to have when faced with a bad guy. Thought this might be something antis might want to think about.

Mississippi Woman: ‘I Was Always Anti-Gun’ Until Eye-To-Eye with Home Invader

Mississippi resident Lori Shelton says she was “always anti-gun” until she heard noises in her home and found herself eye-to-eye with a home invader.
    Shelton’s horrific experience occurred in April and she is now taking a firearm training course so she will be ready should her home be targeted again. She is also getting her concealed carry permit

According to News Channel 3, Shelton said, “I was getting ready for work doing my normal routine, and I heard a noise as I was getting out of the shower.” She looked to see the source of the noise and “saw a man coming through the back of the house.” She said, “The first thing I thought was I gotta do something.” But she was limited on options: her daughter was in bed asleep, her husband was at work, and she did not have a gun.

Shelton checked again to see where the suspect was, saying, “I peeked through the blinds, the blinds stayed closed and peeked through and saw him looking at me. I mean we made complete eye contact. He proceeded to come through the back of the house, and I ran back and dialed 911.”

When police arrived the suspect had fled the scene but they managed to arrest him a short time later.

Shelton is still uneasy; she says the suspect stole her “sense of security.” She now takes her daughter with her to the firearms training course, saying, “I’ve enjoyed it, I’m glad to know that I have a 15-year-old daughter and she knows the safety and the rules, and I feel pretty confident in her if she ever had to use a weapon for her defense.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-home-invader/
    Last edited by internet troll; May 24th, 2017 at 05:34 PM.

Rienzi shooting ruled self-defense
    http://www.dailycorinthian.com/view/...-self-defense-

RIENZI – No charges are being filed after a Prentiss County woman was gunned down in Rienzi on Friday night.

Alcorn County Sheriff Ben Caldwell said 77-year-old Gynell Windham was killed in self-defense following an altercation at the Rienzi Auction shortly before 7 p.m. He said the shooting occurred later when two vehicles stopped in the middle of Highway 356 near Hopewell Baptist Church and less than one mile from the auction.

“Windham exited her vehicle and displayed a firearm. The other person then fired two rounds striking Windham and killing her,” said Caldwell. “When law enforcement arrived on the scene, they were able to take the person into custody.”

The person was released Monday.

“It appears they were acting in self-defense,” he added.

The case will be presented to the Alcorn County Grand Jury.

Read more: Daily Corinthian - BREAKING Rienzi shooting ruled self defense

SPD: Man shot by woman claiming self-defense has died

http://m.ksla.com/ksla/db_349655/con...tguid=uLAJp4Qd

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - A man has died after being shot Tuesday by a woman who told police she did it in self-defense.

Police say 37-year-old Leeartavious Barrett was shot once in the head by a woman who claims he attacked her as she left her apartment early Tuesday morning.

Police say it happened just after 7:30 a.m. at Country Club Marina Apartments in the 4300 block of Lakeshore Drive.

The woman told police that she was hit in the face and the head and that she managed to grab her handgun and shoot Barrett while he was strangling her.

Barrett was rushed to University Health, where it was discovered that he was also armed. Police say a gun was found inside the clothes he was wearing after he arrived at the hospital.

He died Wednesday.

Police confirmed that the woman had markings on her body and torn clothing that were consistent with her account of the incident.

Witnesses told Shreveport police that Barrett had been hanging around the complex for a few weeks, including in the breezeway near the woman's apartment where the attack happened.

Shreveport police Cpl. Marcus Hines said Barrett reportedly had been bothering the woman for a couple weeks.

Police did not say whether Barrett knew the woman.

The woman was released from police custody.

No charges have been filed.

The case will be reviewed by the Caddo district attorney's office.

Armed teen shot after trying to steal sunglasses from man with concealed carry license in Detroit

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...ied-to-hold-up

DETROIT (WXYZ) - Police say a 17-year-old remains in the hospital in critical condition after the young father he tried robbing shot him several times.

It happened late Wednesday afternoon near the corner of Warren and Grayton on the city's east side.

Angela Lanier tells 7 Action News her 24-year-old son Joe fired his gun when the teenager tried robbing him while he was sitting in his car. She says he was on the job as an exterminator when the teenager pulled a gun on him for his sunglasses.

Joe Lanier says, "The boy tried to rob me, and I shot him. That's what happened."

He also went on to say, "That's why he's in the hospital and not me."

Lanier has a concealed carry license and his mother is an instructor herself, who says she's taught all of her sons how to responsibly operate a gun.

Her son fired his gun seven times. The windows of his car were blown out.

Police are still investigating.

Georgia shop owner opens fire and kills armed robber on camera

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/01...ber-on-camera/

In December, TheBlaze reported a story about a Cobb County gun store owner who stopped an attempted armed robbery after he opened fire on the two individuals attempting to rob him, his customers, and his store. But now video footage of the heroic actions of this Georgia store owner has surfaced, showing the situation as it went down.

64-year-old Jimmy Groover and another employee can be seen in the footage standing behind the counter. Groover is distracted, but his employee can be seen raising his hands into the air as he tries to get Groover’s attention. Two armed men walk into frame, gun drawn, but as this happens Groover draws what looks like a 1911 pistol, and opens fire. One of the men is hit, and goes down instantly. According to previous reports, the man had died. The other man made his escape.

“I had no other choice. I had no other choice. I hate that it happened,” he told 11Alive in Atlanta. “I’ve been doing this 30 years. Nothing like this has ever happened. I never wanted this to happen but I want to go home at night, too.”

I've had many conversations with women who are anti. The point I try to make to them is a gun is an equalizer. It doesn't matter how much bigger or stronger your attacker is, a gun gives you a fighting chance when someone wants to harm you.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/cr...html?mobi=true

Cops: Delaware trooper fatally shoots boyfriend in domestic incident

by Emily Babay, Staff Writer @emilybabay | ebabay@philly.com
    Authorities are investigating a domestic incident in which an off-duty Delaware State Police trooper shot and killed her boyfriend.

Officers were called to a home on the 3200 block of Champions Drive in Pike Creek, New Castle County, shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday for a report of shots fired, police said.

At the home, officers found the off-duty trooper "severely battered" and the boyfriend suffering a gunshot wound to his upper torso, police said.

Officials said the pair had a physical altercation and the trooper ultimately shot the boyfriend, identified as 43-year-old Maurice Ifill, of Owings Mills, Md., with her service weapon.

Ifill was taken to Christiana Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities did not release the trooper's name but said she was an eight-year veteran of the state police. She was hospitalized in stable condition

The investigation is in its early stages, police said. Autopsy results are pending. No charges have been announced.

The incident was the second time in recent weeks in which a female off-duty police officer in the region was involved in a domestic-related shooting.

In mid-April, a Philadelphia police officer shot and wounded her husband in the driveway of their Bucks County home. That shooting was ruled self-defense, and the husband is facing charges of stalking and simple assault.
    Last edited by internet troll; May 28th, 2017 at 09:08 AM.

This is similar to the last story. This was found to be a self defense shooting.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/cr...html?mobi=true

Off-duty Philly cop shoots, wounds husband in Bucks

An off-duty Philadelphia police officer shot and wounded her husband in the driveway of their Bucks County home early Tuesday, police said.

The shooting occurred about 5:30 a.m. on the unit block of North Marmic Drive in the Holland section of Northampton Township, Northampton Police Chief Michael Clark said.

Police received a report of a "domestic incident" at the house, Clark said. The husband, who was shot in his lower abdomen area, was taken to St. Mary Medical Center in Langhorne, where he was in stable condition and is expected to survive.

His wife was taken to the Northampton Township police station and was to be questioned by police and the Bucks County District Attorney's Office, Clark said.

Clark declined to release either person's names. He said both appear to be in their 30s.

Clark did not know yet if the off-duty officer will face charges. Her husband "just got out of surgery," he said early Tuesday afternoon, and detectives have yet to speak to him.

The couple's three children were in the home at the time of the shooting and were not injured. The Philadelphia officer allegedly used her personal gun, not her service weapon.

The Philadelphia Police Department's Internal Affairs Division is also investigating the matter, a spokesman said, declining further comment.

A neighbor who lives on Marmic Drive said the couple lived there for less than a year. The couple's two school-age boys play with kids on the street, said the man, who did not want to give his name.

He said he had "never noticed any kind of problem" between the couple, but also didn't know them.

He was woken up by the police sirens and the flashing of lights, and then saw a swarm of officers searching around outside, but said he did not venture out toward the couple's house, nor did he hear the gunshot.

Man killed in self-defense shooting on west side

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/c...lis-west-side1

INDIANAPOLIS -- One man is dead after a self-defense shooting Sunday evening on Indianapolis' west side.

The shooting happened just before 6:30 p.m. in the 3800 block of W. Michigan Street.

A spokesperson with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said Keith Banks, 31, was doing burnouts and doughnuts near small children. Many people called the police, but he left before police arrived.

Banks returned, threatening to shoot people because somebody called the police, neighbors said.

Banks started chasing another man and threatening to kill him. The second man pulled his handgun out and shot the man several times, then immediately contacted police.

Banks was taken to the hospital, where he later died.

The shooter has a valid handgun permit. He was not arrested.

Let's make it 2 today.

This is a strange case. It looks like 3 people jumped Paulhamus and the jury deemed he acted in self defense when he shot the attackers. But.... he was under 21 which was against the law and lied about what happened because he was afraid he would get into trouble. So while the video taken by one of the assailants used showed that he acted in self defense, he was found guilty of carrying a firearm while under 21 and tampering with evidence.

Probation for ambusher in self-defense shooting

http://www.sungazette.com/news/polic...ense-shooting/
    Tyler Wayne Cagle, 21, one of the men who was shot by Dustan Paulhamus in what a jury deemed was self-defense earlier this month will be on probation for the next two years for the actions that led to the fatal shooting.

Cagle, of Williamsport, pleaded guilty and was sentenced in Lycoming County Court Friday to serve two years of supervision for his role in the Aug. 4, 2015 shooting.

Cagle, 24-year-old Thomas Myers Carstetter and William “Chaz” Sawyer were waiting for Paulhamus in a Newberry Estates apartment belonging to Paulhamus’ ex-girlfriend, Kirsten Sedlock.

Cagle and Carstetter began beating Paulhamus and at some point throughout the fight, Paulhamus fired two shots from a .32 caliber handgun.

He shot Cagle and Sawyer, who was only 18 years old at the time.

Sawyer died of the single wound to the heart.

The moments right before the shooting were caught on a cellphone camera held by Sawyer.

The footage become a key piece of evidence in Paulhamus’ trial.

After three days of testimony analyzing details of what the attorneys agreed was an unusual case, a jury aquitted Paulhamus of voluntary manslaughter and aggravated assault charges.

He was found guilty of tampering with evidence and for carrying the firearm while under the age of 21 and for throwing it into a forest in Old Lycoming Township moments after the shooting.

Cagle, Carstetter and Paulhamus all lied to police about what happened just after noon that day.

“Me and Tommy came up with it (the false story) because we didn’t want Dustan to get off with a self-defense plea,” Cagle said during testimony. “… Because that’s not the case. He was not fending for his life. The fight was over. Chaz needs his justice and Dustan getting self-defense isn’t justice.”

Paulhamus told jurors that he lied because he was afraid of getting in trouble.

Carstetter, who also testified during the trial, was charged with aggravated assault, involuntary manslaughter and other charges and is pending trial, according to court documents.

Sedlock also has been charged and is scheduled to plead guilty in April.
    Last edited by internet troll; May 29th, 2017 at 12:26 PM.

Page 9 of 339 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast