Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 188 of 339 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238288 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/ma...-police-arrive

Man holds neighbor, accused of peeping, at gunpoint until police arrive
    Michael Woodward, 45, arrested in Port Orange

Jennifer OrtegaPosted: 11:18 PM, September 04, 2018
    PORT ORANGE, Fla. - A Port Orange couple helped arrest their neighbor after they found the man peeping into their bathroom window, officials said Tuesday.

"He was directly under my bathroom window, and on the other side of the bathroom window was me and my girlfriend," Chris Beres told News 6.

"It's disgusting (and) disturbing to have that sense that there's somebody watching you," said Alexandria Kenney, Beres' girlfriend.

The couple said they were in the bathroom Monday night when they heard a strange sound coming through the glass window.

"I was like, 'Shhh, I think there's somebody outside,' so I hear like, heavy breathing. It's like, constant heavy breathing," Kenney said.

That's when Beres got his shotgun and went outside to scope out the situation, Kenney said.

"I noticed a tall figure standing against the side of the wall of my house," Beres said.

Police later identified the man as 45-year-old Michael Woodward, their next-door neighbor. Beres said Woodward wasn't wearing a shirt or shoes.

The police report said Woodward told Beres he had lost his car keys.

Beres said he held Woodward at gunpoint until officers arrived and took the man into custody.

"I didn't think that somebody so close to me would (do) something like that," Beres said. "You don't expect your neighbors within 50 feet of your house to be spying on you through your windows."

Police arrested Woodward on voyeurism and prowling charges.

He has since posted bond and been released from the Volusia County Jail.

https://abc7news.com/exclusive-veter...-jail/4166794/

A United States Army Special Forces veteran who's been cleared of attempted murder charges is now suing Santa Clara County for the treatment he received during three years in jail. It's a story you'll see only on ABC7.
    Dan NoyesSAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -

A United States Army Special Forces veteran who's been cleared of attempted murder charges is now suing Santa Clara County for the treatment he received during three years in jail while awaiting trial. It's a story you'll see only on ABC7.

"They told my cellmate to lay on his stomach and face the wall so he couldn't watch what they were about to do to me," said Drew Johnson.

The veteran is now raising some important social justice issues that are already part of a class action lawsuit.

Santa Clara County faces a class action lawsuit over the use of solitary confinement for people awaiting trial; they're "innocent until proven guilty". Johnson, however, says he suffered brutal treatment in jail, before a jury cleared him of any wrongdoing.

The 29-year-old moved to San Jose after serving in the Army to care for his buddy, a fellow soldier, who was paralyzed in a rollover crash in Afghanistan.

"This was my best friend who I went through the military with and went through the struggles of the service with," Johnson told Dan Noyes. "And, you know, now he's hurt."

Johnson was caring for his friend and attending college until one October night in 2014.

His civil rights lawsuit against Santa Clara County paints the picture -- he was walking back from the store when "two drunk men try to rob him" along Capitol Expressway and "brandished a knife". With his back to traffic, Johnson tells ABC7 he had no choice but to pull his 40-caliber Glock and fire two warning shots into the ground. But the complaint says the men kept coming, so Johnson shot one in the leg, the other in the hip.

"If I wanted to kill them, I very well could have," said Johnson. "And I know what a kill shot is from the military."

It took a jury only two hours to clear Johnson of attempted murder charges. Now, he's suing Santa Clara County for placing him in solitary confinement for 16 months out of the three years he spent in jail awaiting trial. Johnson tells us he never knew why the jail sent him to solitary, starting the day he arrived.

"They never explained anything to me, they never, I never even got a rule book," Johnson told Dan Noyes. "I didn't know anything, all I knew was that I was locked down for 47 hours at a time and I got one hour out of my cell in 48 hours."

After what they tell us were hundreds of complaints from inmates, Berkeley's Prison Law Office filed this class action lawsuit over solitary confinement in 2015, accusing the county of:
    "Inhumane conditions" in its jails

"Subjecting individuals to serious psychological and physiological harm"

"Including anxiety, depression, social withdrawal, paranoia, agitation, and suicidal ideation"

Lawyers involved in the class action tell Dan Noyes it's close to settling, and that the county has made progress in the past few years, reducing the use of solitary confinement.

Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith who runs the jails declined an interview about the class action or Drew Johnson's lawsuit, saying through a spokesman that her "personnel have worked tirelessly to implement a progressive set of jail reforms."

Johnson's lawsuit also makes a startling claim -- that when he complained about all that time in solitary, guards beat him.

"They immediately cuffed me," said Johnson. "As soon as I was cuffed that's when they began to, you know, they beat me up."

Johnson's lawyer has filed several other lawsuits alleging Santa Clara County Sheriff's deputies mistreat inmates -- some of the cases involve video of the altercations.

His lawsuit says Johnson tried to warn jail officials about one guard who would "sadistically and maliciously abuse" prisoners: "I'm the one who wrote a grievance on Lubrin saying that if you don't stop this guy, he's gonna kill someone."

His lawyer says, just one month after Johnson filed that grievance, Officer Jereh Lubrin and two other guards beat a mentally-ill inmate, Michael Tyree, to death. The officers were convicted of second degree murder.

RELATED: Bay Area's first female sheriff faces complaints of past sexual harassment

Attorney Bob Powell tells us the problems inside Santa Clara County jails run deep.

"Someone doesn't get killed in the jail in this kind of a fashion overnight, that is not just a one-off event. That is a something has been going on for a long time to lead to the point where someone is murdered by physical punishment in a jail."

Drew Johnson is back in college full time, and there's one other piece of video we'd like you to see. Him dancing with his daughter. She's now 7 years old. Johnson tells Dan Noyes he was thrilled to walk her to the first day of school last week. He's making up for a lost three years.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...492691791.html

Trumbull Man Shoots Neighbor Who Broke Into His Home: Police

A 72-year-old man shot an 18-year-old neighbor in Trumbull after the teen forced his way into the man’s Shelton Road home and charged at him, according to police.

The homeowner, who feared for his family’s safety, shot the teen once in the abdomen with his legally owned handgun, according to police.

Just before the shooting, police received several 911 calls from residents of the neighborhood who said a man was running into the street, trying to stop passing cars and banging on several doors.

A nearby resident identified the man, who police said suffers from a mental health disability that displays erratic and sometimes violent behavior. He might also have been affected by the severe weather at the time of the incident, according to police.

Suit Seeks Payout for Immigrant Families Separated at Border
    The teen who was shot was transported to Bridgeport Hospital, where he is in stable condition.

The resident who shot his gun was cooperative and remained at the scene, police said.

No charges have been filed against either of the men.

http://www.wave3.com/2018/09/07/home...t-by-resident/

Home invasion suspect in Elizabethtown shot by resident
    By Berry Stockton September 7, 2018 at 1:55 PM EST - Updated September 7 at 4:24 PM
    ELIZABETHTOWN, KY (WAVE) - Kentucky State Police Post 5 has opened an investigation into an attempted home invasion where a suspect was shot.

Police said they received a call from a home on Hall Road around 11:52 a.m. Friday. A woman called police to inform them her husband shot a man after he forced himself into their home.

PIO Scotty Sharp told WAVE 3 News the victim was flown by helicopter to a Louisville hospital. His injuries were non-life threatening, according to KSP.

The suspect’s identity has not been released. KSP said he is believed to be responsible for other burglaries in the area and charges are pending.

The shooting came after reports of a suspicious person in the same neighborhood Thursday night, according to Sharp.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/lates...218020130.html

Teen stabbed by an intruder fights back with a gun in Spanaway
    By Craig Sailor csailor@thenewstribune.com
    By continuing to use this site, you give your consent to our use of cookies for analytics, personalization and ads. Read more

A teenage girl who checked on her neighbor after a domestic violence incident Friday later was attacked by the neighbor’s ex-boyfriend, authorities said.

The 16-year-old fought back with a gun, scaring off her assailant, who later was taken into custody.

The incident began about 5:50 a.m. when Pierce County sheriff’s deputies responded to a domestic violence call in the 17200 block of 11th Avenue Court East in Spanaway.

A woman told deputies her ex-boyfriend had threatened her with a knife and vandalized her vehicle before leaving, sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said.

The teen and her mother, who live across the street, checked on the woman about 7 a.m.

When they returned home, the girl discovered the power had been shut off. She armed herself with a .22-caliber pistol.

“The teen said that she heard a noise coming from the back door and saw the suspect standing in the doorway,” Troyer said.

The man allegedly was armed with a knife.

“The teenage victim said that the suspect told her ‘she was going to die’ and reportedly began trying to stab her with a knife,” Troyer said. “The victim said he stabbed at her six or seven times, cutting her shirt and superficially cutting her arm.”

The teen said she kicked the man and fired a shot at him before he ran away.

A Lakewood police K9 unit searched the neighborhood as deputies provided containment. A deputy saw a man matching the suspect’s description in a yard at 176th Street East and 10th Avenue Court East, Troyer said.

After confirming the man’s identity, the deputy took him into custody. The man allegedly had a knife, a pellet gun, 35 rounds of hollow point 9mm ammunition and black gloves, Troyer said.

The man, 34, was booked into the Pierce County Jail for assault, burglary, domestic violence assault and other charges.

https://myfox28columbus.com/news/loc...during-robbery

Caught In The Act: Store clerk pulls gun on suspected cigarette thief
    COLUMBUS, Ohio —

Columbus Police are now searching for a crook who walked off with hundreds of dollars worth of cigarette cartons from a North Columbus convenience store

"They take Newports, some other flavors," said Mohamed Razzaq, as he showed the empty shelves inside a storage room at Busch Center Smokes & More on Boardwalk Street.

Store surveillance cameras capture a stranger walking through the business on Labor Day, and then sneak into the storage room while no one was watching.

Razzaq tells ABC 6/FOX 28 he confronted the thief when he noticed the culprit had cigarette cartons hidden inside his pants.

"I say you have cigarettes, why you go in my office and take cigarettes, " said Razzaq, " he say no, I haven't."

Video shows the two men get into a scuffle inside the store. At one point, Razzaq can be seen waving a gun at the suspect.

"He go into my office, its my private property," said Razzaq, when we asked why he pulled out a weapon.

The thief attempts to run out the back door but quickly returns to the display cases when he cannot get outside.

When the thief makes a break for the front door, Razzaq is waiting for him. After a second tussle between the two, the thief manages to slip away.

"If he is bad people, he go to jail," said Razzaq.

The suspect is described as an African-american male, who was wearing a pink t-shirt and black pants and appears to have facial hair.

https://www.wthr.com/article/alleged...e-ave-incident

Alleged attacker shot, killed in Keystone Ave. incident

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - Police say one man is dead and another is making a self-defense claim in connection with a Friday night shooting.

Police were called to the 4300 block of N. Keystone just after 9:00 p.m. Friday where they found a male with an apparent gunshot wound.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

IMPD said the call to police came from the alleged victim, who told officers he was attacked by the man at a business on N. Keystone. The man said he shot the alleged assailant.

The victim of the alleged attack is cooperating with detectives.

We’ll see how this one goes.

https://1063word.radio.com/articles/teen-shot-homeowner

Teen Shot By Homeowner
    Wren student died at GHS

A Williamston teen has been shot and killed after a fight with the owner of a home he was visiting. The Anderson County Coroner's Office reports that the 17 year-old Wren High School student died of a gun shot wound to the head.

Brandon Nathan Tyson had returned from the Wren-Easley high school football game and was visiting the home on Merritt Drive in the Powdersville area of Anderson County.

Tyson was with two other teens, when witnesses said he began to act "bizarre" and began knocking out windows of a garage and causing damage to the home, which woke the homeowner around 2AM Saturday morning.

The homeowner confronted Tyson which resulted in an altercation in which the homeowner shot the teen. Tyson was taken to Greenville Memorial Hospital where died just before 4AM Saturday morning.

The homeowner was also taken to a hospital for serious facial injuries. No details on the extent of his injuries or his condition has been released.

So far no arrests have been made. The incident is being investigated by the Anderson County Sheriff's Office and the Anderson County Coroner's Office.

http://www.taftmidwaydriller.com/new...-police-arrive

Burglar caught, held at gunpoint until police arrive
    Most Popular Our Picks
    Child noticed strange man in garage of Taft home

A burglar trying to rob an occupied house was caught in the act by a child and held at gunpoint by a woman until Taft Police took him in to custody.

Taft Police said a resident of the home on the 500 block of Keene Lane was alerted by a seven-year-old child that there was a strange man in an attached garage about 9 a.m. Sunday.

The adult called 9-1-1 to alert Taft Police and kept the suspect at bay until officers arrived.

Police said the suspect, identified as Aoreliorho Velasco, 25, had entered the garage through a rear door and then entered the residence.

Officers said Velasco removed multiple items from the home before being confronted by the homeowner.

He was arrested on charges of first-degree burglary and a misdemeanor warrant for possession of controlled substance paraphernalia.

http://www.wboc.com/story/39225339/m...rglary-attempt

Man Shoots Intruder in Burglary Attempt
    Posted: Oct 03, 2018 4:34 PM EDT
    Updated: Oct 03, 2018 4:34 PM EDT
    CAMDEN-WYOMING, Del. -- Delaware State Police are investigating a burglary incident that led to a shooting Tuesday night.

Around 9:37 p.m., troopers were called to the area of Pony Track Road where they found a 45-year-old male with gunshot wounds to his lower extremities. Investigators say the man had entered onto the property without permission. Police report the residents became aware that someone was trespassing on to their property into their barn when their alarm activated. The residents, a 73 year-old male and he and his 65 year-old wife responded to the barn where they discovered the intruder, and that's when police say the male resident fired his gun and struck the intruder.

The intruder was transported to a local area hospital where he was listed in stable condition. The two residents were not injured as a result of this incident.

Page 188 of 339 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238288 ... LastLast