Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 23 of 339 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

Homeowner shoots, kills burglar dressed like woman

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/deka...oman/570172104
    DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. - Police say a homeowner shot and killed a man dressed like a woman after he broke into his home.

It happened in Lithonia near Brownsmill Road just after 2 a.m.

Channel 2’s Liz Artz spoke to DeKalb County Police Lt. Lonzy Robertson about the case Monday.

"The homeowner gave him a warning. The suspect continued to approach him at which time the homeowner fired one shot," Robertson said.

He says the homeowner will not be charged because it's been ruled as self-defense.

Artz spoke to neighbors in the area.

William Jordan believes the homeowner did the right thing. Jordan told Artz he has a house full of females and he doesn't mess around when it comes to their safety.

"I think people should protect themselves and their property," he said.

The burglar died at the scene.

Robertson says they have not been able to identify the suspect but have reached out to the community to find out who the person is.

Nashville man describes chilling armed robbery: ‘They messed with the wrong person’

http://wjhl.com/2017/07/21/nashville...-wrong-person/
    Madison, Tenn. (WKRN) – He may be 72 years old, but you better not mess with Robert James Johnson.

“I’m a good shooter,” he told News 2.

Two robbery suspects learned that the hard way.

“They didn’t know who they were messing with,” Johnson said. “They messed with the wrong person that day.”

Police are piecing together a crime that took place on Wednesday afternoon, when Johnson agreed to help a woman who lives on the streets. They believe that same woman set him up to be robbed in order to pay off her drug debt.

Molena Holt, 26, asked Johnson to drive her to Springfield. But first, she needed him to take her to the Madison Manor Apartments to pick up some clothes.

When they arrived, she got out of the car and went around a building. Two men approached Johnson, saying he couldn’t park there.

That’s when they attacked.

“The other one grabbed me and said give me the money, give me the money, give me the money and the other one hit me, the other one had the gun,” Johnson recalls.

It was a setup.

“I was getting the gun out at the same time while he was asking for the money, when he was asking for the money, talking – POW! I shot that bastard,” Johnson said.

Suspect Randall Caradine, 46, was hit in the chest area. He later died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center a short time later.

And Johnson told News 2 he didn’t just shoot; he shot to kill.

“So you just fired one time?” reporter Larry Flowers asked. He replied, “Yes sir. That’s all I needed to kill him.”

The other suspect got away with $1,000.

“Well I’m sorry I didn’t get the other one,” he said. “If I would have got out the car, I would have.”

The 72-year-old was the victim of a similar robbery nearly two years ago on Trinity Lane in Nashville.

“I was robbed before and I didn’t have nothing then, and I said I never be robbed again,” Johnson said.

Holt was arrested for facilitating a robbery all to pay off a $30 drug debt.

“I don’t mind helping people if I see somebody in need, if I can help them I will help them, but I’ll never do that again,” he said.

Police say Holt has previous convictions for drugs and prostitution. She remains in jail on a $100,000 bond.

The other robbery suspect is still on the run. Neither a description nor identity was released.

One Suspect Dead, One Wounded After Gunfight with Jewelry Store Owner

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...y-store-owner/
    One robbery suspect is dead and a second one is wounded following a Tuesday afternoon gunfight with a jewelry store owner in Houston, Texas.
    Police report there were three suspects. The third suspect escaped unharmed once the bullets began to fly.

According to ABC 13, Harris County Sheriff’s Office Sr. Deputy Thomas Gilliland said of the three suspects,” They came in with one purpose, to rob the place.” He confirmed the store owner had “the right to defend himself.”

The three suspects stormed into the store around 3 p.m., pistol-whipped the store owner, and demanded cash. The owner was able to get his hands on his own gun and turn the tables on the suspects.

Gilliland said, “He managed to recover a pistol and began firing at the robbers. They, in exchange, fired back at him. A gunfight ensued and all three fled from the business.”

The individuals fled, only to the dump the body of one of the suspects about six miles from the scene of the crime. A second suspect “made it to a nearby hospital with multiple gunshot wounds,” and the third suspect was spotted on surveillance cameras in a nearby restaurant but has yet to be apprehended. The footage makes it appear that the third suspect stopped in the restaurant to use the restroom.

Alyssa Balderas, whose family owns the jewelry store, commented, “It’s scary when it happens two doors down from you. We have to take caution now.”

Businessman shoots intruder

http://www.redspringscitizen.com/new...hoots-intruder
    LUMBERTON — A Lumberton businessman says a fleeting thought of his mother probably saved the life of a teenage intruder early Friday as he made a decision to shoot to hurt, not kill.

G.H. Smith, 66, was working about 3 a.m. in the back of his cell phone business on North Pine Street when he heard a loud crash. The noise was made by as many as five people breaking into his store.

“I shouted at them ‘Hey. What y’all doing?’” Smith said. “The other two jumped out the window, but the other guy started this way. It was dark and there was only this night light on … I hollered at him. I thought he had a gun because he was so bold. He was bad. That’s when I thought I’d better stop him right now.”

Smith made a conscious decision to aim his shotgun at the man’s legs.

“And I wasn’t trying to kill him,” Smith said. “You see that Bible right there, that’s my mother’s. Y’know my mother comes in about every day and she’s 84. I think if I’d of taken his head off she wouldn’t have come back anymore. She doesn’t need that extra stress on her. That’s the only thing that saved him, I think. It was a scary situation.”

Police cannot release the name of the injured individual because he is a juvenile, Lumberton police Capt. Terry Parker said. The preliminary investigation is underway, but police must wait until the youth has been treated before they can take a statement. No information on the juvenile’s condition was available.

Smith was told that the boy was 15 years old. Smith said he had no way of knowing the intruder was so young.

“They had bandanas around the lower part of their face and bandanas on their head,” Smith said.

Glass display cases and cabinets inside the business were destroyed using stones. Store employees were conducting an inventory late Friday morning, but it is believed about 15 cell phones were stolen.

Smith said the business, Page Talk Communications, likely will become a 24-hour operation in order to have employees on site all the time.

Smith has been selling, repairing and working with cell phones in Lumberton since 1994. Smith employs four people, and his mother helps out in the store three days a week. Before having his own business, Smith was in sales for Sears and JC Penney.

At lunchtime Friday, friends and employees discussed what they would do about the blood stain on the floor. The somber mood was in stark contrast to how the intruders acted as they targeted the store.

“They were laughing and joking. One would smash, hit it (the window) and then another would push in and say ‘let me at it,’” Smith said. “You would think they would be nervous, being really careful. But they were carrying on and joking like it was something they did every day of the week. They were having fun with it.”

The burglars took pieces of stone from a gravestone retailer across the street and used them to break out a window fronting North Pine Street, Smith said. Cut pieces of stone and rocks were scattered among the store’s broken glass.

From his position in the store, Smith saw two people working as lookouts and three more entered his store. Smith did not have easy access to a telephone as his cell was charging in the office, next to the business’ landline.

“People need to know to have their phone charged and have it with them,” he said.

The shotgun he used to protect himself and his business was taken by police as part of the investigation. While he is happy to turn over his weapon to be examined and photographed, Smith doesn’t like losing his protection after he has been attacked.

“I’ve got another one, fortunately,” Smith said.

He was planning to replace the heirloom 16-gauge shotgun with something more modern.

“Lumberton is a fine city, but you have to be careful,” Smith said.

In the past nine months, there has been a significant uptick in crime, Smith said.

“The crime is out of control. Since we had Hurricane Matthew, it’s been like kicking over an ant mound,” Smith said. “You know how mad the ants get when you kick over their home.”

Smith understands the problems Matthew brought. His store was looted on the second night of the October storm.

“It’s a serious situation,” Smith said. “At night, push your living room sofa against the door. The kitchen door, slide that kitchen table behind it.”

But despite the trauma, Smith was still in business as the store cleanup got underway and he was optimistic. A stream of people bought minutes for their cell phones, inquired about replacing cracked screens and generally wished Smith and the Page Talk staff well on Friday.

Smith described his customers as a source of “great joy” and expressed a desire to keep serving and selling to the community.

“I’ve seen Mom come in. Then it’s Mom and Dad. Then Mom and Dad bring in the two kids,” Smith said. “That’s what I get excited about.”

Two for today.

Suspect fatally shot by man in self-defense

Man claims self-defense in Killeen shooting

http://www.kcentv.com/news/local/sus...ense/459156474
    KILLEEN - Killeen police have determined the death of a woman that was fatally shot by a man Thursday at 1100 Willow Springs Road was an act of self-defense.

Officials said police received a call in reference to a shots fires around 2:49 a.m.

When officers arrived to the scene, they found a woman later identified as 23-year-old Raven Symone Fisher lying on the ground at the apartments. Officers then began to perform life-saving measures.

A preliminary investigation determine that Fisher confronted the male victim about a parking complaint while she was armed with a handgun. The victim who is licensed to carry a handgun attempted to diffuse the confrontation with the suspect unsuccessfully. He defended himself with his handgun from the assault, police said.

The victim was initially detained by police and later released with no charges.

Fisher succumbed to her injuries at the scene and was pronounced dead at the scene at 3:44 a.m.

An autopsy has been ordered at the Southwest Institute of Forensic Science in Dallas.

This shooting happened in 2010. But the criminal was shot and has been paralyzed for the last 7 years until he died this month.

Yukon man dies six years after being shot while attacking OKC man

http://newsok.com/yukon-man-dies-six...rticle/5557529
    A 28-year-old Yukon man has died, more than six years after he was shot and left paralyzed when trying to attack a man in an Oklahoma City apartment.

On Dec. 16, 2010, police responding to a double shooting at 7314 NW 10 found Johnathan Ryan Lindley, and his brother, Cody James Lindley, both suffering from gunshot wounds.

Authorities said the brothers entered an apartment and attempted to attack Paul Chance McWilliams, 32. McWilliams shot both brothers, authorities said.

Both Lindleys survived the shooting, but Johnathan Lindley was left paralyzed, authorities said. Johnathan Lindley died July 2.

The Oklahoma County District Attorney ruled the case an act of self-defense, according to authorities. Police said Lindley's death is the 45th homicide this year in Oklahoma City.

Two for today.

Metro says W. 49th St. shooting appears to be act of self-defense

http://www.wtoc.com/story/35787365/1...-w-49th-street
    SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -
    Savannah-Chatham Metro Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a man in the 1100 block of West 49th Street that happened Friday morning.

Officers responded to the scene around 8:15 a.m. to find 34-year-old Marquice Allen suffering life-threatening injuries. He succumbed to those injuries on the scene.

Investigators have determined that the shooting was domestic in nature and say that at this time, it appears to have been an act of self-defense.

Authorities implied a level of familiarity between the shooter and Allen. Forensic officers and detectives spent several hours in front of the home talking with neighbors and even brought in the mobile crime scene vehicle as they processed the scene.

According to Savannah's Safe Shelter Executive Director Cheryl Branch, this is the second death stemming from a domestic situation in Savannah this year. The shelter has already helped around 400 people, which is about the average this time of year, and they are almost at capacity now.

"Right now, we're at 47 and our capacity is 48, so we have 22 women and 25 children. So after this, if we get any calls, then we'll have to put somebody in a hotel, because obviously, we're never going to turn anybody away," Branch said.

Metro continues to investigate and says a person of interest is being interviewed.

I'm finding too many examples of people defending themselves and need to start getting rid of some from my bookmarks. Let's go with 3 today.

Lexington Police say man attacked before he was fatally shot

http://www.coladaily.com/2017/07/25/...-fatally-shot/
    The Lexington Police Department continues to investigate an early morning shooting that occurred on Sunday, in the Cherokee Village neighborhood.

At approximately 2:30 a.m., officers were dispatched to a shooting incident that had occurred on Cherokee Pond Court. Upon arrival officers found a white male, who was later identified as Derek Alexander Fogle, who had been shot several times laying in the front yard of a residence.

Fogle was transported by ambulance to Lexington Medical Center where he later died from his injuries. Derek Fogle, age 31, was a resident of the Cherokee Village neighborhood and had lived at 184 Cherokee Pond Trail.

Officers made contact with Joseph Scott Nicewonger at 197 Cherokee Pond Court who stated that he had shot Derek Fogle during an unprovoked attack outside of his own residence.

The investigation has shown that Derek Fogle approached the residence yelling at Nicewonger and then chased him from his garage and into his yard. Fogle threw Joseph Nicewonger to the ground and struck him in the head repeatedly. Nicewonger, who was armed with a handgun, shot Fogle several times to end the confrontation. Nicewonger immediately called 9-1-1 after the shooting and stood by in his yard until officers arrived. Nicewonger has been fully cooperative during this ongoing investigation.

Detectives found that Fogle may have been experiencing an altered mental state leading up to the shooting and had physically attacked his roommate just prior to the altercation with Nicewonger. Witnesses in the neighborhood stated that they had heard and seen Fogle causing a disturbance by yelling, knocking on doors and walking through several yards just prior to the assault and shooting incident.

Chief Terrence Green said, “This shooting is a tragedy and patience is appreciated while our Detectives work diligently through every aspect of this case to its conclusion. I would also like to thank S.L.E.D. Crime Scene and the Lexington County Coroner’s Office as their work in this case has been appreciated.”

More to be released as toxicology results and other case information becomes available.

Three criminals tried to rob someone. The person killed one of the robbers. Now the other 2 criminals are being charged with the murder of the 3rd criminal.

After their suspected robbery accomplice was killed, 2 are charged with murder in Madison

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...r_madison.html
    A 20-year-old Harvest man was killed in a Madison robbery-gone-wrong, and now his suspected accomplices -- a local teen and a Michigan man -- are charged with murder.

Dareion Walker was fatally shot at a Madison apartment complex during a robbery attempt, according to court documents. His suspected accomplices, 18-year-old Kiaujanee Sanders, of Huntsville, and Louis Bowden, a 33-year-old from Detroit, Michigan, are jailed on charges of murder and robbery.

Although police believe the robbery victim was the shooter, Alabama law allows accomplices to be charged with murder in such cases. Police haven't said whether the shooter acted in self-defense or if he could face criminal charges.

Madison police Capt. Terrell Cook said Bowden and Sanders were with Walker visiting someone at Madison Landing at Research Park apartments on Flagstone Drive when the robbery and shooting happened. Police responded to the shooting around 3 a.m. on May 23.

The suspects along with Walker were trying to rob the shooter of cash, according to court documents. Records do not say how much money was taken in the holdup.

Bowden is held in the Madison County Jail with bail set at $135,000. Sanders' bail is set at $90,000. Bowden was captured by U.S. Marshals in Michigan.

Sanders is scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing on Aug. 2 at 1:30 p.m. in District Judge Schuyler Richardson's courtroom. At that hearing, police will testify about the evidence in the case. The judge will determine whether prosecutors have enough evidence for the charges against Sanders to remain active pending indictment by a grand jury.

Defense attorney Norman Bradley Jr. said he plans to file a motion asking the judge to lower Sanders' bond.

"Otherwise, we don't really have any comment," Bradley said.

Court records do not name a defense attorney on Bowden's case. He is not yet scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing.

If convicted, each suspect faces up to life in prison.

Two for today. Not much info in this one, but still an example of self defense.

Person shot in parking lot of Arlington Kroger

http://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stor...oger/576080582
    SHELBY COUNTY, Tenn. - One person was shot following an argument in a Kroger parking lot.

It happened at the Kroger off Highway 70 in Arlington around 10:00 Saturday night.

Deputies told us the victim was transported in critical condition.

A man and women were taken downtown for questioning in connection with the shooting, but were later released.

Deputies said the victim charged the shooter with some type of pry bar and another tool.

They believe this incident was domestic related. The shooter was released, and deputies are calling it an act of self-defense.

Page 23 of 339 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast