Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 74 of 339 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

Unfortunately you have to sign up for the entire article, but this appears to be a case of an armed citizen defending themself.

8 today.

Judge: Fatal shooting was in self-defense
    A murder charge was dismissed against a Georgia man for fatally shooting a woman who shot him first

http://www.kentuckynewera.com/news/c...3c560efa8.html
    Octavious Ludwig, 23, smiles after Judge John Atkins dismissed a murder charge against him for the April 20, 2017, fatal shooting of Roshanda Hayden. Atkins ruled Ludwig acted in self-defense after being shot first by Hayden.

A judge ruled a Georgia man’s use of deadly force was lawful and in self-defense when he fatally shot a woman at an Oak Grove hotel and a murder charge against the man was dismissed Monday in Christian Circuit Court.

Octavious D. Ludwig, 23, Dalton, Georgia, was emotional as Judge John Atkins dismissed the murder charge against him for the April 20 death of 22-year-old Roshanda Hayden, Millington, Tennessee, at the Days Inn on Auburn Street in Oak Grove.

9 today

Jury selection underway: Accused burglar on trial after being shot by homeowner

http://www.kcbd.com/story/36834308/j...t-by-homeowner
    LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -
    Clayton Fillingim was charged with burglary of a habitation with intent to commit a felony in October 2016.

Fillingim was shot by the homeowner during the reported attempted burglary.

Police say Fillinghim broke into a home in the 3700 block of 38th street.

In 2016, KCBD reported that the Lubbock Police Department said the victims of the burglary were a family of six. They reported to police they were sleeping when the suspect broke IN through a back door and entered the kitchen. One of the victims reported to the parents there was an unknown man in the home.

The father warned the suspect that he had a gun and that police were on their way.

According to police, Fillingim then told the family to get out of the house and began pouring lighter fluid on the floor in an attempt to light it on fire.

The father says he told the suspect to stop or he would shoot.

The suspect became more agitated and began approaching him when the father shot him in the stomach.

I don’t get carrying an unloaded gun, but it sounds like the gun saved this somewhat armed citizen.

10 today.

Uber investigating after driver pulls gun on passengers

http://www.wcnc.com/news/crime/uber-...gers/491542451
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A shocking chain of events led an Uber driver to pull a gun on his passengers.

The 57-year-old driver said four people began brutally attacking him. However, now he says he’s in trouble with Uber for violating the company’s weapon policy.

The driver, identified as George Henderson Jr., said he feared for his life when he pulled the gun on those passengers.

Henderson Jr. showed NBC Charlotte the stitches on his nose from the assault, but he says the pain goes deeper than that.

“It’s part of my livelihood, and at the present, I’m hurting,” says Henderson Jr.

The Uber driver says his account was deactivated after the incident. Henderson said he stands by his actions.

“I had no other alternative I felt that night,” said Henderson.

He said at first the riders were belligerent and verbally abusive.

“With all kinds of obscenities, so I said, ‘OK, this ends the ride’," Henderson explained.

That’s when it turned to assault near WT Harris Boulevard and University City Boulevard, according to the police report.

“I was really scared for my life because they were kicking me, they were hitting me in the face,” said Henderson. “Blood went everywhere.”

Henderson said he then went to his trunk for a gun.

“It wasn’t loaded, in fact, it didn’t have a clip in it, I displayed it, and at that point left, they ran,” he said.

Henderson, who says he’s been an Uber driver for about two months, admits he failed to read the company’s weapon policy.

“But there again had it not been for that, where would I be?”

Henderson said he's given more than 500 Uber rides and has over 250 five-star ratings. He said he'd never run into a situation that ended in violence.

Uber said they’ve removed access for the driver and the riders pending the investigation. So far, no arrests have been made.

11 today

Three armed men he knew forced their way into his home. He shot one

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy
    Police say a Clovis man knew the three armed men who allegedly forced their way into his home Saturday night and assaulted him before he shot one of them.

The victim, his wife and children were inside their home in the 1200 block of Scott Avenue around 10:30 p.m. when police say Prince Ash, 31, Eugene Spagner, 29, and Antoinne Simpson, 28, entered and began assaulting the man. He suffered a head injury but managed to shoot Simpson before the two others left in a vehicle.

Clovis police stopped the vehicle as it was leaving the area and Spagner and Ash were arrested. They found Simpson with a gunshot wound at the home, and he was taken to the hospital along with the victim.

When Simpson is booked, all three will be charged on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, home invasion robbery, conspiracy and felony child endangerment, police said.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

Search Underway In Robertson County For Home Invasion Suspect

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/sea...bertson-county
    GREENBRIER, Tenn. - A cross-county manhunt got underway overnight after a homeowner shot at an intruder, who fled in their vehicle before abandoning it in Robertson County.

The incident happened around 10:30 p.m. Monday when Cheatham County deputies responded to a reported home invasion on Highway 41-A near Joelton.

Officials said a woman went inside her attached garage where she found the suspect. She said he told her to be quiet, but instead, she went back inside and told her husband.

Investigators said the resident grabbed his gun, came into the garage, and fired shots at the suspect but missed.

Police said the suspect got into the couple's car and broke out of the garage, stealing the vehicle and disappearing for about an hour.

Tennessee Highway Patrol troopers said they later found the stolen getaway car in Robertson County on Highway 257.

They think the suspect may be in a wooded area. He should be considered dangerous.

THP had its helicopter out overnight but said the search was suspended around 3 a.m. Tuesday.

Officers said the suspect is a white man with short hair and a sunken jaw. He was last seen in a beige hoodie.

Anyone with information should call local law enforcement.

This thread is mainly for example of people who used a gun in self defense in some way or another. One of the goals of this thread though, is to get people thinking about the need for self defense by showing that a lot of instances of people defending themselves do occur. But I think articles where a person did not have a firearm and wished they did are important in the goal of this thread. This woman was attacked while jogging. She is now buying a gun and taking self defense classes.

Victim of early morning west Las Vegas park attack speaks out

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/36836...ack-speaks-out
    LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
    “I never imagined it would happen to me,” the victim of a Saturday morning attack at Desert Breeze Park said.

It happened around 9:30 a.m. in West Las Vegas. The victim said she wanted to start her 39th birthday on a good note.

“I woke up with energy and was like 'I’m going to go running.’”

The woman, who asked to remain anonymous, headed to the park near Spring Mountain Road and Durango Drive.

“Right before I got to the one-mile mark, someone came right behind me, had his hands wrapped around my neck and I dropped to the floor.”

The woman said the suspect told her ‘you’re beautiful,’ and demanded she take her clothes off.

“He kept trying to take my pants off,” she said.

The woman tried to fight him off, but she said the man would not give up. She screamed for help but no one was close enough to hear her so she thought of another idea.

“I just kept on telling him I’d give him money and his fixation changed from trying to get me naked to 'O.K. give me money.’”

The two of them went to the Vons across the street.

“He was like ‘Pretend to be my girlfriend.’ I was like 'O.K.'”

The woman said she did not know if the man had a gun, so she cooperated. Once inside the grocery store, the woman withdrew $200 from a grocery store ATM machine. The woman said she kept calm the entire time.

“I didn’t want to raise a red flag. I was afraid that he was going to kill me. He said he was going to kill me.”

The suspect took off then she went running to the nearest clerk who called police.

“I was like depressed. Very sad. I just wasn’t expecting it.”

The woman said she canceled her birthday plans. She had not gone to work as of Monday, but she said she was speaking out because she wants police to find her attacker before he hurts someone else.

“I don’t want this to happen to anyone else who is out jogging. Just realize your surroundings.”

The victim is also planning to buy a gun for the home. She also said she has enrolled in Campbell Defense Academy in Las Vegas. The owner, Allison Campbell, said she is an NRA certified firearms instructor and a personal defense instructor among other certifications.

“Today’s world is becoming such a dangerous place, it really doesn’t matter if it’s in the morning or at night, attackers are attacking people all the time.”

Campbell suggested running in pairs, telling loved ones about whereabouts and avoiding headphones.

“Make sure you keep your situational awareness up, keep your ears open, and look behind you every once in a while.”

Campbell also said to carry some sort of self-defense measure when possible.

“Whether it be pepper spray a taser or a fire arm, there are so many different objects to project yourself in the vent you can’t physically defend yourself."
    Last edited by internet troll; November 14th, 2017 at 11:14 AM.

We heard bang, bang’ -- Homeowner shot during suspected burglary

http://www.the-review.com/news/20171...ected-burglary
    NOVA — A 58-year-old man is in serious condition after being shot in his yard early this morning, in what police said was an attempted burglary.
    The shooting occurred around 3:10 this morning, according to the Ashland County Sheriff’s Office at 734 US 224. An unknown suspect is still at-large.
    Doug and Kathy Roberts awoke to a disturbance where they thought someone was attempting to break into their home, said Chief Deputy Carl Richert. The couple went outside to investigate and noticed their security lights were off.

Doug had a handgun and flashlight and was searching the yard, Richert said, and they noticed a 4-wheeler normally stored in their garage was outside. The garage door was rolled open.
    “Not knowing what’s going on, Doug checked the garage and didn’t see anybody,” Richert said.
    Soon after, Richert said there was a rustling of leaves behind them.

“The next thing they heard was two shots fired,” Richert said. Doug was hit in the back and taken into the house, and Kathy called 911. Doug’s handgun did not go off, Richert said.
    Richert said the Ashland County Sheriff’s Office arrived within two minutes of the call because a deputy was in the area.
    In audio of the 911 call, Kathy said they thought they heard someone in the garage, which was when they decided to investigate.
    “We didn’t see anything,” she told the dispatcher. “I thought I heard something and we heard bang, bang. My husband turned around and I turned around; we were trying to figure out where (the sound) came from.“

A perimeter was set-up with the Ohio State Highway Patrol soon after and a K-9 was tracking a scent toward Township Road 681, but was lost after that, Richert said.
    The Ashland County Sheriff’s Office had deputies and detectives investigating the scene this morning.
    “Right now we’re just trying to collect evidence and do everything we can to identify and locate the shooter,” Richert said.

Doug was taken to University Hospitals Samaritan Medical Center and then later taken by helicopter to Cleveland MetroHealth for further treatment. Kathy was not injured.
    If anyone has any information, anonymous tips can be given to the Ashland County Sheriff’s Office by calling 419-289-3911 and asking for the detective’s bureau.
    Dylan Sams can be reached at 419-281-0581, ext. 240, and dsams@times-gazette.com. Follow him on Twitter @dylan__sams.

3 today.

REPAIRMAN SHOOTS WOULD-BE ROBBER

http://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/roc...y-suspect-shot
    ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- The man who police said tried to rob a repairman at gunpoint Friday night on Sixth Street, only to get shot himself, was arraigned Monday.

Negus DeSouza, 22, is charged with attempted robbery, assault, resisting arrest and criminal use and possession of a firearm.

Police said the repairman was working outside the house on Rochester's northeast side when DeSouza approached. Police say an exchange of gunfire took place between DeSouza and the repairman, who they say is a registered gun owner.

DeSouza was later dropped off at a hospital. The repairman was not injured.

A judge also issued an order of protection for the repairman

4 today.

A man was caught breaking into a truck and sped off. His passenger wound up dead

FORT WORTH
    One man is dead following a shooting in a parking garage north of downtown Sunday night that police say was prompted by a vehicle break-in.

Homicide Sgt. Joe Loughman said the shooting occurred shortly after 8 p.m. on the top floor of the parking garage of the Lincoln Park at Trinity Bluff apartments in the 500 block of Samuels Avenue.

A man and his girlfriend were headed to his pickup to go get ice cream when they noticed a man inside the truck, prompting the truck owner to grab his gun, Loughman said.

“He opened up the driver-side door, told him ‘Don’t move. I’m going to call the police,’” Loughman said.

The suspected burglar, however, bailed out the passenger side of the truck and opened up the driver-side door to a car parked next to the truck.

“The owner feared that he was going to possibly pick up a weapon so he fired a couple shots,” Loughman said. “He did see there was a passenger in the car.”

The suspected burglar pulled out of the parking space before abruptly stopping again, Loughman said, putting the truck owner again in fear for his life. The truck owner fired more shots at the car, which then sped away.

About 20 minutes later, a car pulled into Huguley Hospital, its driver reporting that his passenger had been shot.

The passenger was pronounced dead at the hospital. He had not been identified as of Monday afternoon but police say he is believed to be a 55-year-old man.

Casey_Smith
    Casey Smith, 29
    Fort Worth Police Department Courtesy
    Loughman said the driver, identified as 29-year-old Casey Smith, admitted to police breaking into a truck. He was arrested at the hospital on an outstanding theft warrant out of Dallas County and treated for some cuts caused by flying glass.

Homicide detectives will consult with the Tarrant County district attorney’s office to determine what charges Smith will face in connection with the break-in that led to the shooting, Loughman said.

The truck’s owner was not arrested. Investigators will also consult with the DA’s office to determine if he faces any charges in connection with the incident, Loughman said.

Second fatal shooting

Hours after the parking garage shooting, homicide investigators were called to a second, unrelated fatal shooting, this one at an apartment complex in east Fort Worth.

Aaron Ray, 28, was fatally shot inside his Heather Village apartment in the 6000 block of Starling Drive. He was pronounced dead on the scene at 1:15 a.m. from a gunshot wound to the head.

Loughman said Ray’s girlfriend and their infant child were inside the apartment when the shooting took place but were not injured.

The investigation is continuing, Loughman said

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...#storylink=cpy

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    This thread is mainly for example of people who used a gun in self defense in some way or another. One of the goals of this thread though, is to get people thinking about the need for self defense by showing that a lot of instances of people defending themselves do occur. But I think articles where a person did not have a firearm and wished they did are important in the goal of this thread. This woman was attacked while jogging. She is now buying a gun and taking self defense classes.
    This is a great thread. Thank you for taking the lead in compiling this information!

Page 74 of 339 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast