Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 60 of 339 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

2 for today

Woodland homeowner halts would-be burglar

http://tdn.com/news/local/woodland-h...3fac59eea.html
    Cowlitz County sheriff’s deputies are crediting a Woodland homeowner for stopping a would-be burglar.

According to the sheriff’s office, the homeowner called police around 2 p.m. Tuesday to report he found a man in his home in the 500 block of Bryant Hill Road.

When confronted, the burglar reportedly ran down a hallway and the homeowner tackled him. The homeowner then went to the phone to call 911 and the burglar fled the home, Chief Criminal Deputy Charlie Rosenzweig said.

The burglar then reportedly returned a short time later, but the homeowner – who was armed with a pistol – held the intruder on the porch until Woodland police officers and sheriff’s deputies arrived.

Police arrested Joseph Anthony Miller, 23, of Woodland on suspicion of burglary and second-degree malicious mischief.

Miller told deputies he had used meth four days earlier and was exhibiting behavior that gave deputies the impression that he was currently under the influence, Rosenzweig said.

3 for today.

Homeowner in shootout with intruders during attempted home invasion

http://foxsanantonio.com/news/local/...-home-invasion
    SAN ANTONIO - A homeowner got into a shootout with people trying to break into her house early Thursday morning.
    According to the Bexar County Sheriff's Office, deputies were called out to Alonzo Fields, near Binz-Engleman Road and North Foster Road, at about 1:30 a.m.
    The homeowner said intruders tried to break into the house through the front door. When that failed, they went around to the back door and kicked it down. That's when the homeowner opened fire on the intruders. They fired back before running off.
    No one was hurt in the exchange of gunfire. The sheriff's office is still investigating.

Not a firearm. But still an interesting armed citizen story. An 8th grader armed himself with a knife to protect his family and make a difference.

Police: 14-year-old defends his family against two burglary suspects

http://www.fox29.com/news/14-year-ol...glary-suspects
    PHILADELPHIA (WTXF) - Police say a 14-year-old boy defended his family from two burglary suspects. According to police, the teen stabbed one of the suspects who fled the house with the knife still in his back. The suspect later died.

Candace Johnson is the first one to tell you how proud she is of her 14-year-old son Quadir after he confronted two alleged burglars inside her home on 65th street Tuesday night.

"I thought they had guns. It was just crazy. It was like a movie. It happened so fast. I was so scared. I've never been through anything like that in my life," Johnson told FOX 29 Tuesday night in an exclusive interview.
    "I heard them saying he's gonna kill you. My mom was yelling at the top of her lungs," Quadir Boyer told FOX 29.

It was then that Quadir, an 8th grader, stepped in. He quickly tried to get his sister out of the house, then came to his mom's rescue.

"I saw them fighting with my mom's boyfriend. I had to like had to stab him. I got the knife. My sister was frozen at the door, so I had to get her outside the house," Quadir explained.

The alleged intruder and his accomplice fled the house with the kitchen knife still in his back. Police say he collapsed half a block away on the front steps of another home. The knife still intact. He was pronounced at the scene.

"He believes he's the man of the house, so I believe he was just I'm gonna step up and do something," Johnson added.

Homicide detectives arrived on scene. The suspect was identified as 42-year-old Craig Jones who police say has 20 prior arrests. Police believe the suspects followed Johnson's boyfriend home from a neighborhood bar and forced their way into the house looking to rob him. Johnson was injured in the melee.

"What was the main thing in your head at that point?" FOX 29's Dave Schratwieser asked. "That I had to protect my family," Quadir said.

"Very proud of him,very much so. It took guts. I mean I couldn't do it. I couldn't have done it," Johnson added

Candace injured her foot in the melee inside the house. Quadir was not injured. Police are still investigating, but no charges are expected to be filed. No word on whether those two suspects were armed. Police are still searching for a second suspect.

5 for today

Shooter acted in self defense, faces no charges, officials say

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/ne...say/780945001/
    A 26-year-old Ypsilanti man acted in self-defense when he fired a shot that wounded another man's leg and grazed his scrotum during a domestic dispute inside a Canton mobile home, authorities have confirmed.

The shooter was at a Canton woman's home when her ex-boyfriend walked in and began to attack him, prompting him to fire a shot from a handgun, according to police reports.

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office has denied criminal charges against the shooter.

"Based on the facts of the case, it was deemed he acted in self-defense," Canton Deputy Police Chief Craig Wilsher said.

The incident unfolded about 2:30 p.m. Oct. 7 at the College Park Estates mobile home park off Mott Road, east of Ridge, on Canton's west side. Police reports indicated the ex-boyfriend became upset after he walked in and found another man there.

Police reports also indicated he had previously been abusive to his ex-girlfriend. He had recently moved out, but still had a key to her home.

The ex-boyfriend was shot once in the right leg and the bullet also grazed his scrotum, police have said. He drove himself to a hospital.

6 for today.

Police: Man arrested again after being disarmed by family, arrested last month

http://www.decaturdaily.com/news/lim...29b30f5c5.html

ATHENS — An Elkmont man who had been disarmed by family members in Athens, held at gunpoint and arrested last month was released from the hospital and had to be arrested again Wednesday when he pointed a gun at a person on Elm Street, police said.

Kenny W. Gatlin, 36, 21520 Easterferry Road, Elkmont, was charged with first-degree burglary, breaking and entering a vehicle, domestic violence-menacing with a gun, and possession of a controlled substance.

Family members disarmed Gatlin on Sept. 8 when he broke into a house at the 18000 block of North Jefferson Street and threatened to kill his wife, who lived there with their child and his wife's parents, Police Chief Floyd Johnson said in a statement.

The investigation at the time revealed Gatlin broke into the house and went to his wife’s bedroom, pulling a handgun and threatening to kill her, Johnson said. The wife's mother heard a noise and woke up her husband, who pulled his own gun and ordered Gatlin from the bedroom. Gatlin was disarmed and closed himself into another room, trying to escape by breaking through a window with his arm, Johnson said. He cut an artery in his arm.

Police arrested him and sent him to Athens-Limestone Hospital, after which he was transported to Huntsville Hospital.

"Our department was not aware that Gatlin had been released until (Wednesday) morning when we received a call from a person saying Gatlin was driving on Elm Street and had pointed a pistol at him," Johnson said.

Gatlin was located Wednesday on Pamela Drive and transported to the Limestone County Jail. Bail had not been set.

BREAKING NEWS: Suspect fatally shot during shoot-out with Leeuwkuil property owner

https://reviewonline.co.za/234301/br...e-person-dead/
    POLOKWANE – One suspect was shot and killed during a shoot out with a Leeukuil property owner late Thursday evening at around 23:30.

Police Spokesperson, Lt Col Moatshe Ngoepe reports: “It is alleged that the owner of the property went out to investigate when he heard his dogs barking and saw two unknown armed suspects walking around the property.”

“He fired a warning shot and the suspects ran away, however, it is alleged they returned shortly after and started shooting randomly into the house, damaging the glass door.”

“The owner retaliated and one suspect (aged around 30) was fatally shot. The remaining suspects fled the scene into the bushes.:

The deceased is still unknown, he adds.

The Westenburg Police are still looking for the suspects and a case of armed robbery and attempted murder is being investigated. The police has also open an inquest docked in regards to the suspect who was fatally shot.

Ngoepe confirms that nothing was robbed or stolen during this incident.

Anyone with information regarding this incident or who can assist in the identification of the deceased, can contact Captain Wilson Dikgale at 082 565 8566. Alternatively they can contact the nearest police station, the 24-hour crime stop number on 0860010111 or the crime line sms 32211.

Police investigations continue.

2 today.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/n...ps-kidnapping/

Good guy with a gun stops kidnapping

Updated October 19, 2017 - 7:09 pm

It was habit, not heroism, that caused Justin Pearson to grab his gun.
    But seconds later, that weapon enabled Pearson to stop a kidnapping taking place just outside his Las Vegas home on Oct. 5.
    “We heard this real loud noise outside,” said Pearson, 36. “I opened up the door, and this big BMW goes flying by — 60 mph in a 25 mph zone. I dialed 911 immediately.”
    As he always does before leaving his house, Pearson, a concealed-carry weapon permit holder, put his pistol on his hip. The 911 operator asked for a license plate number, so Pearson moved down the street to get it.
    “He had lost control of the car and almost went into a house at the end of the street,” Pearson said. The BMW then turned around and stopped in front of a neighbor’s yard, where a 6-year-old boy was standing.

“About 50 yards in front of me, the driver grabs this young child and starts stuffing him in the car,” Pearson said.
    “‘Holy crap, he just took a child, and he’s trying to stuff him into the car!’” Pearson remembers telling the operator.
    Pearson is 6-foot-4 but makes a beanpole look stocky. The kidnapper, Pearson recalls, was a similar height, but was a “solid” 250 pounds.
    “He was a very big dude, and I’m not a menacing person by any means,” Pearson said. “I don’t think I could have physically stopped the guy. It would have been super ugly if it was just me versus him.”
    Fortunately, Pearson had a trump card — a Heckler & Koch VP9 pistol legally resting on his right hip.

“I carry a concealed firearm everywhere I go,” Pearson said. “I lifted up my shirt and put my hand on my gun.”
    “‘Hey, stop!’ I said, real loud. He turned and looked at me. There was just enough of a delay for the kid to get out of the car. I know he saw the firearm.”
    With the boy out of the car and an armed citizen staring him down, the man decided to drive away. Pearson and his still-holstered pistol stopped a kidnapping. Police wouldn’t arrive for 17 minutes.

“If I didn’t have a firearm, I don’t think there’s much I could have done,” Pearson said.
    A Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman confirmed many of the details in Pearson’s story, including the date, time and location. Pearson said — and Metro confirmed — that the would-be kidnapper was the boy’s biological father, who didn’t have parental rights or permission to take the child.
    This isn’t the first time Pearson has used a firearm to stop a crime.

“Many years ago, I was carrying and a guy pulled a knife on a friend of mine,” Pearson said. “I quickly drew my firearm, and the kid ran away.”
    These kinds of stories rarely make the news. But they happen more often than we realize and underscore an important point. Concealed-carry weapon permit holders prevent crimes.

Neighbor sees man being beaten, robbed; fatally shoots suspect, investigators say

http://www.wyff4.com/article/neighbo...s-say/13057909
    GREENVILLE COUNTY, S.C. —
    A neighbor who witnessed a man being robbed at gunpoint grabbed a gun and fired a shot, killing one of the suspects, according to Greenville County Sheriff's Office investigators.

The shooting happened Oct. 12 on Gethsemane Drive.

Investigators said Shane William Standard, 25, Tracie Lewis Mayfield, 32, and Jeffrey Eugene Bradley, 31, went to a home, held a man at gunpoint inside the home and demanded money.

Investigators said a neighbor saw the struggle, grabbed a gun and fired a shot, hitting Bradley at least once. He died at the hospital, Greenville County Coroner Kent Dill said.

Milton man dies after reportedly being shot by homeowner

http://weartv.com/news/local/milton-...t-by-homeowner
    MILTON, Fla. (WEAR) — An unidentified adult man is dead after reportedly being shot by a Milton homeowner.
    On Saturday, Oct. 21st, just after 12:40 am, the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office (SRCSO) Dispatch Center received a 911 call from the 5000 block of Bent Tree Road in Milton.

The caller stated an individual was screaming for help at the front door. During the 911 call, a gunshot was also heard over the telephone. Dispatch was then told that someone had been shot by a resident.

When deputies arrived on the scene, CPR was in progress on an unresponsive adult male who was on the front porch of the residence lying next to a bat.
    Responding EMS staff later pronounced the individual deceased, most likely due to a gunshot wound.
    Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes and Crime Scene investigators arrived on scene and began to sort through the evidence.
    All initial indicators are leading investigators to believe this was an incident in which the homeowners’ use of force was for the protection of their life and property.

At this time, the deceased adult male has not been identified. This case remains an active, open investigation.
    WEAR will update this story with more information as it becomes available.

3 today.

Man Fatally Shoots Pit Bull To Stop Attack

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/10/2...atal-shooting/
    MANCHESTER, N.H. (CBS) – A New Hampshire man shot and killed a pit bull that chased after him and attacked his dog.

Two pit bulls that had gotten loose from their owner were running in the area of South Taylor Street and South Belmont Street.

Richard D’Amour was walking his 5-year-old lab mix named Molly in the neighborhood when he saw the aggressive pit bulls ahead of him.

He turned toward his home and began to run with his dog, but the pit bulls gave chase.

A driver on the street unsuccessfully tried to turn his car into the path of the dogs to slow them down.

Manchester Police said the man made it to his rear porch when the pit bull named Luigi attacked and latched on to Molly.

“The dog caught her right at the top and clamped on the back of her neck,” D’Amour said.

D’Amour and the Good Samaritan tried to separate the dogs, but were unable.

“He wouldn’t let go and I thank God the other guy who stopped me, he came and helped me, we tried to separate the two dogs and we just couldn’t and this guy’s a big guy he was punching the living hell out of the pit bull and it wouldn’t let go so then I pulled my weapon out and I shot the dog,” D’Amour said.

Molly’s owner took out a pistol that he is licensed to carry and shot one bullet into Luigi’s upper torso, killing him. The second pit bull did not get involved in the altercation.

D’Amour was also bitten during the struggle. He says Molly has two serious wounds.

“It’s an unfortunate incident but thank God I was carrying,” D’Amour said.

The owner of the pit bulls arrived in the area and was cooperative with police. The dogs had current vaccination records and their owner said he was out trying to corral them at the time of the incident.

D’Amour said the owner of the dogs told him he did the right the thing.

Police say witnesses confirmed the story and at this point there are no charges.

Page 60 of 339 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast