Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 306 of 339 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,060 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/lo...e-77c906705392

Police: CCW permit holder fatally shoots 18-year-old suspect during attempted robbery in Linden
    Police said the 18-year-old and a 17-year-old tried to rob a man at a market.

COLUMBUS, Ohio * An 18-year-old man was shot and killed Tuesday night by a man who has a concealed carry license after the teenager tried to rob him, according to Columbus police.

Officers were called to the E&E Food Market in the 700 block of East Hudson Street in the Linden area around 7:25 p.m.

When officers arrived, they found 18-year-old Kiran Hill shot. He was taken to Riverside Methodist Hospital in critical condition, where he later died.

Police said Hill and 17-year-old Josiah Cocroft tried to rob a 33-year-old man at the market.

Police said Hill pulled a gun on the man and then the man, who has a CCW permit, pulled out his own gun.

Hill was shot when he and the man exchanged gunfire, police said.

The man who shot Hill stayed at the scene.

Police arrested Cocroft, who detectives said was with Hill, and charged him with murder.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...2-men-arrested

Man, security guard killed in shooting outside Rookies Sports Bar and Grill in Parma; 2 men arrested
    PARMA, Ohio — Two men were killed in a shooting outside of Rookies Sports Bar and Grill in Parma early Saturday morning—one of whom was working as a security guard for the bar, according to the Parma Police Department.

Around 2:13 a.m., officers were called to the bar located on Pearl Road for a report of a shooting.

Once on scene, officers found two men, both with multiple gunshot wounds.

Sean Acierno, 29, was walking through the parking lot of the bar when he was shot. He died as a result of his injuries, police said.

Timoteo “Tim” Cruz, 27, an off-duty Cuyahoga County Corrections Officer with a valid CCW permit, was working as a security guard for the bar. After Acierno was shot, Cruz returned fire at the shooter, striking him.

Police said the shooter gunned down Cruz and crawled into a getaway vehicle after being hit by a bullet fired by Cruz.

Cruz also died as a result of his injuries.

Parma police commended Cruz’s heroic actions in firing at and striking the shooter, saying he “most likely saved additional lives while giving up his own life as other bar patrons were still in the area or exiting the bar.”

By 12 p.m., officers had arrested a 27-year-old man and his 30 year-old-brother in connection with the shooting. Both men are facing two counts of aggravated murder, police said.

The weapon used in the shooting was an AR-15 and multiple shell casings were found at the scene. The weapon was later recovered by police.

Parma police were assisted in the apprehension of the two men and the execution of search warrants by the U.S. Marshals Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force, the Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Office, the High Intensity Drug Task Force, the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office and the Southwest Enforcement Bureau.

Cuyahoga County Sheriff Christopher Viland issued the following statement regarding the death of Cruz:

It was with great sadness this morning that the Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Department received word of the untimely death of one of our own. Corrections Officer Timoteo C. Cruz was the victim of a homicide in the City of Parma in the early morning hours.

We would like to extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to his family and those who were close to him. No words can ease the loss to those remaining.

While we will not have any comments on the incident, or the currently ongoing criminal investigation, it appears from information we have at this time that Officer Cruz was killed while actively protecting the lives of innocent people. There is no more honorable of a path than to have sacrificed in the service of others.

Officer Cruz has been an employee with the Sheriff’s Department since September of 2017 and has earned the trust and respect of those he worked with. Grief counseling and mental health services have already been initiated and been made available to corrections staff and the jail’s inmate population.

The Parma Police Department will be continuing the investigation into the incident and any requests for information regarding it should be referred to their offices. The Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Department will be providing all assistance possible as the investigation, apprehension and prosecution of those responsible continues.

There is currently no available information regarding funeral or memorial services. We would ask that the family be given the space and time to privately grieve and deal with this tragedy.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...rict-3-27-2021

Police: 22-year-old CCW holder shoots 19-year-old after being punched near Arena District
    COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX) *
    Columbus Police on the scene of a deadly shooting on Vine Street and Kilbourne Street near the Arena District on March 27, 2021. Police say the suspect shot a man after he was approached and shot. The suspect has a CCW permit. (WSYX)<p>{/p}
    Columbus Police says a man shot and killed another person after that person punched him and reached for something in his waistband. The shooter possesses a concealed carry weapon's permit and is not clear if he will be charged with anything.

Columbus Police on the scene of a deadly shooting on Vine Street and Kilbourne Street near the Arena District on March 27, 2021. Police say the suspect shot a man after he was approached and shot. The suspect has a CCW permit. (WSYX)

The shooting happened in the area of Vine Street and Kilbourne Street near the Arena District at around 3:20 a.m.

According to police, the man, identified as 22-year-old De'Ondre Smith, was driving down the street when he was approached by 19-year-old Cameron Kates and 19-year-old Junior Mugisha.

Investigators say Kates punched Smith then reached for his own waistband. Smith, who is legally licensed to carry, reached for his gun and fatally shot Kates.

Mugisha was grazed in the incident.

Kates was rushed to Grant Medical Center where he died at 3:46 a.m.

Police say Smith is cooperating with investigators. He was taken into custody but not charged.

The incident will be forwarded to the Franklin County Prosecutor's Office to determine if any charges will be filed.

https://www.vvng.com/suspect-armed-w...ucerne-valley/

Suspect armed with hammer shot by homeowner in Lucerne Valley
    By Victor Valley News Group April 16, 2021
    LUCERNE VALLEY, Calif. (VVNG.com) * A 27-year-old suspect armed with a hammer was shot by a homeowner after forcing entry into her home.

It happened on April 16, 2021, at about 9:14 am. in the 36700 block of Foothill Road in Lucerne Valley.

The victim reported the suspect later identified as Robert Garcia forced his way into her residence through a back door.

According to sheriff*s officials, *the suspect entered the residence wielding a hammer and threatened to kill the female victim.*

Fearing for her life, the female victim shot the would-be intruder. Officials said Garcia walked away from the residence and was located lying on the side of Foothill Road.

Garcia was airlifted to a trauma center, however, an update on his condition was not available at the time of this release. Officials said the female victim was not injured.

https://morganton.com/news/update-st...8d45f5a49.html

UPDATE: Store owner charged after video shows dog lunging at man before being shot
    Unlimited digital access only $1/mo.!
    From Staff Reports

UPDATE: The felony animal cruelty charge against Joshua Wayne Hawley will be dismissed in court Monday morning, District Attorney Scott Reilly told The News Herald a little after 6 p.m. Friday.

COLLETTSVILLE — The case of the dog that was shot outside Betsy’s Old Country Store in the Wilson’s Creek Community has gotten more complicated after another video of the incident was discovered.

Bruce Morrison Gray, the owner of Betsy’s Old Country Store on Wilson’s Creek, has been charged with felony obstruction of justice after deputies say he failed to hand over a video that showed a confrontation between a dog and the man who shot him, according to a Friday release from the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies initially had charged Joshua Wayne Hawley, 35, of Morganton, with felony cruelty to animals following the shooting of Rocky, a beloved 120-pound Rottweiler, on March 28, according to a previous story in The News Herald.

In initial reports, CCSO investigators said they gathered surveillance footage from the store and processed the crime scene. Hawley had admitted to shooting the dog in an interview with investigators, but had told them it was in self-defense after the dog attacked him.

Joshua%20Wayne%20Hawley.png
    Hawley
    Photo courtesy Caldwell County Sheriff's Office
    But Friday, CCSO said in a release that another video had been discovered in the subsequent investigation that showed Rocky charging and aggressively lunging at Hawley before Hawley shot him, the release said.

Gray had possession of the video and failed to turn that over to CCSO, the release said, leading detectives to charge him with felony obstruction of justice.

Gray was placed in the Caldwell County Detention Center under a $20,000 secured bond, the release said.

https://cbs4indy.com/news/indianapol...urder-charges/

Indianapolis man not charged in intruder’s deadly shooting; burglary suspects facing murder charges
    IndyStarJan 16, 2019 / 04:01 PM EST
    News
    Posted: Jan 16, 2019 / 12:17 PM EST / Updated:

Kevin Lemaster, 40, and Benjamin Gardner, 47
    This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — Prosecutors in Marion County have decided a man who killed a burglar during a home break-in will not face criminal charges.

The shooting is protected by Indiana’s self-defense statute, commonly referred to as the state’s stand-your-ground law.

The shooter is the son of the homeowner and was being asked to protect the property. Prosecutors say the shooting appears to be a justifiable case of self-defense.

The incident began when a 59-year-old woman reported a burglary at a home she owns in the 6400 block of Winslow Drive on the south-east side. That home, according to court documents, was recently sold with the closing date scheduled for Friday.

On Thursday prosecutors believe Ricky Cartmel pried open the front door just after sunset and was was shot and killed by a homeowner’s son.

“It’s important to see how much the homeowner did before he shot. He had a friend call 911. He yelled out warnings. He told them to go away and only all that, he resorted to lethal force. It’s exactly how stand your ground should work,” said attorney John Tompkins.

Attorney Tompkins isn’t connected to the case, but agrees with the decision not to charge the homeowner’s son with a crime.

But two suspects who survived the shooting Thursday — identified by police as brothers Benjamin Gardner, 47, and Kevin Lemaster, 40 — are now facing two counts of burglary and one count of felony murder.

“I think the prosecutor did a very good job not charging anything against the homeowner, but the decision to charge felony murder is questionable,” said Tompkins.

According to the affidavit, Gardner confessed the three men broke into the home the day before and returned to steal a hot water heater when they were confronted by the gunman.

Felony murder allows suspects to be held accountable for deaths that occur during crimes, but the legislature and courts have begun to restrict its use in recent years.

“The courts have said look at what the people you’re charging actually did. If they didn’t act like killers, don’t charge them like killers,” said Tompkins. “You don’t want to send a message to future burglars that they might as well take a gun and shoot people, because even if they don’t take a gun they’re going to be treated by the prosecutor like they did.”

One of the defendants made his initial court appearance Wednesday, the other is due in court Thursday.

Both men are being held without bond.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...ay/3056489001/

Possible intruder shot at Springfield home, police say
    Accident or crime scene cordon tape, police line do not cross. It is nighttime, emergency lights of police cars flashing blue, red and white in the background
    Springfield police say they are investigating a possible break-in and shooting Wednesday night that left one person in serious condition.

Jasmine Bailey, spokeswoman for the Springfield Police Department, said the incident occurred at about 10:20 p.m. in the 700 block of East Garfield Street.

Bailey said one of the residents told police that someone broke into their home and shot at them, so they returned fire.

Bailey said the suspect in the break-in was shot and later taken to the hospital in serious condition.

As of Thursday morning, no arrests had been announced in the case.

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2021/04/17/p...bobcat-attack/

Pender County couple describes rabid bobcat attack
    April 17, 2021 3:20 PM
    BURGAW, NC (WWAY) — A rabid bobcat attack in Pender County has gone viral online, and now the victims of the attack are sharing their story.

That video shows a bobcat attacking a woman as she walks to the car with her cat in a carrier case for a veterinarian appointment on Friday, April 9. Her husband grabs the cat off of her and throws it into the yard.

That couple is Happy and Kristi Wade. Kristi says she knew something was wrong as soon as she heard a growl in the driveway.

“When it came around the car and it made eye contact with me, I knew immediately I was in trouble,” Kristi said.

Video surveillance shows the bobcat running across the street from a neighbor’s house and into the Wades’s driveway. Kristi says she knew right away what the wild animal was.

“It first attacked my hand that I held behind me to try to fend it off, and then I felt it crawl up my back,” she said.

Hearing his wife’s screams, Happy jumped into action as the wild animal tried to bite Kristi’s neck.

“I kind of shoved my arm in there, that’s why I ended up with it face-to-face,” Happy said. “It’s not really until I get it a few steps away that I look at it and I realize it’s a bobcat and I say oh my god it’s a bobcat.”

As Happy tried to carry the bobcat away from his home, it sunk its teeth into him multiple times.

“The third time it bit me I could actually feel the tooth on my bone because there’s no skin there,” he said. “And that’s when I realized and that’s when I flung it.”

Instead of running away into the woods, the animal ran back toward the house and into the garage. Happy says he could tell something was wrong.

“I knew because of the way it acted that this is not normal behavior for a bobcat,” he said. “Only a bobcat that was rabid would do this.”

As neighbors called 911, Happy made the decision to shoot the rabid animal. The Wades are concealed carry permit holders.

“At one point it kind of made a charge again and I was able to shoot it in the shoulder.”

The body of the animal was sent to the state lab in Raleigh for testing and came back positive for rabies. The Wades are now being treated for the virus.

“It’s a lot of shots,” Happy said. “We’ve had over 30 each.”

The couple has two cats and a dog, which are all rescue animals. They say they love animals and didn’t want one to die, but felt they did what was necessary to protect themselves and their neighbors.

It’s an experience they won’t soon forget.

“It was very scary, it makes me think a little bit when I walk out my front door to water my flowers on my porch,” Kristi said. “Never have thought about it, probably shouldn’t anymore, you know this was a freak thing.”

The couple is on the board for the Pender County Humane Society Golf Tournament. They encourage anyone who sees this story to donate to their local humane society.

Their neighbor was also injured by the bobcat about 10 minutes before it came to their house. He is in the hospital recovering.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...1-1c43bc4fc02e

Neighbors 'shocked' after Everett homeowner kills suspected burglar inside home
    A suspected burglar was shot and killed Thursday inside an Everett home. Neighbors say they're "shocked" by what happened in their normally quiet neighborhood.

EVERETT, Wash. — A suspected burglar was shot and killed inside an Everett residence by the homeowner Thursday morning, according to police.

The shooting occurred near 126th Street SE just before 5 a.m.

The homeowner, a man in his 70's, woke up after hearing a noise inside.

According to detectives, there is evidence the suspect "entered a room containing firearms."

The homeowner confronted the suspect, identified as a man in his 30s, and shot him. The suspect died in the home.

Jeanine Oudeans lives across the street from the house where the shooting happened. She says she heard a "big bang" and thought something fell over but then saw all the police responding.

“We’ve been thinking about the man in there and hoping he’s okay. Having to shoot somebody in your own house is traumatic. We’re praying for him and also the person that thought it would be a good idea to break in, and lost his life," Oudeans said.

Randy Guint lives just four houses down from where the shooting took place.

“Of course I’m shocked. I’ve lived here, almost 13 years, and this is the first time this has happened. I’m just worried about my kids," said Guint.

Police said there was evidence the home was broken into.

The homeowner called the police after the incident. Police said he is cooperating with the investigation

https://www.wave3.com/2020/02/21/ksp...ty-identified/

KSP: Intruder shot, killed by homeowner in Spencer County identified
    By Sarah Jackson and Nick Picht February 21, 2020 at 1:47 PM EST - Updated February 21 at 9:47 PM
    SPENCER COUNTY, Ky. (WAVE) – A man who died after he was shot in Spencer County has been identified.

Kyle Story, 27, of Louisville, entered a home in the 4800 block of Plum Creek Road around 1:30 p.m. Thursday and was shot by the homeowner, Kentucky State Police said.

No charges have been filed against the homeowner.

On Friday, WAVE 3 News returned to the neighborhood where the shooting happened and talked to people who heard and saw the scene unfold.

Tara Smallwood lives in the area and told WAVE 3 News her Thursday afternoon started at the computer.

“I heard several gunshots, which is not out of the ordinary here," Smallwood said. "People shoot frequently. We shoot frequently.”

The sound of these gunshots didn’t sound like target practice.

“But this was more like pop pop pop ... pop pop,” Smallwood said, describing the cadence.

About 10 minutes later, she said she heard another sound.

“Several sirens," Smallwood said. “I knew somebody had probably just been shot.”

Smallwood grabbed her binoculars and walked to the hill of her property that overlooks the scene.

“And (the police) definitely weren’t in any big hurry so I knew it was a fatal shot," Smallwood said. "And then the coroner came, so ... ”

Those were the sights and sounds of what Kentucky State Police detectives said was a homeowner standing his ground.

It’s a story that didn’t shock Smallwood.

She said she moved to Plum Creek Road with her husband and two children in January 2019. They own a small farm with several chickens and three goats. Smallwood told WAVE 3 News she and her husband carry their firearms everywhere to protect their family and their animals.

“We have heard of a lot of break-ins recently," Smallwood said. "For the most part people in this area all have firearms, regularly use firearms and carry firearms on their person at all times. But we will defend our home and our land and our family at all costs.”

That protective mindset is one Smallwood said is necessary when living in the country. Now, she has a warning for anyone looking to step foot on her property.

“If you come in and we don’t want you here, you won’t leave ... or you won’t leave walking,” Smallwood said.

The shooting remains under investigation.

Page 306 of 339 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316 ... LastLast