Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 236 of 339 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

I’m putting this guy in the thread. He used a gun to protect himself in his home, but he was arrested for not having a permit for the gun.

https://romesentinel.com/stories/hom...ntruders,77192

Homeowner kills pair of intruders

TOWN OF DEERFIELD — Two people were shot and killed after they were caught by the homeowner trying to break into a residence on Walker Road in Deerfield Tuesday afternoon, according to law enforcement officials.

The homeowner — Ronald A. Stolarczyk, age 64 — has been charged with illegally possessing the handgun he used to shoot the intruders, state police said. No charges have been filed so far in relation to the two deaths.

According to New York State Penal Law, a person in their home is allowed to use deadly physical force to prevent a burglary by an intruder.

State police said aunt and nephew, Patricia Anne Talerico, 57, of 901 John St., Utica, and Nicholas A. Talerico, 27, of 110 Grove Place, Utica, attempted to break into the residence at 6110 Walker Road at about 2:40 p.m.

“They were in the garage trying to break into the residence,” said state police spokesman Trooper Jack Keller this morning.

Keller said homeowner Stolarczyk “was home” during the burglary attempt and he found the Talericos in his garage, where he shot them both with a handgun. Troopers said Patricia Talerico was killed at the scene, while Nicholas Talerico was able to flee the residence.

Nicholas was given a ride by a private vehicle to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica, where he later died of his injuries, authorities said.

Keller said he did not know the motivation for the burglary attempt. He said Stolarczyk did not know the Talericos personally and the home may have been picked at random.

State police searched Nicholas’ residence following his death, and Keller said they found evidence to indicate he had committed other recent burglaries.

“We found a room with a large amount of items that we believe were proceeds in other burglaries,” Keller stated.

Following the shooting, Stolarczyk was taken into custody and interviewed. State police said they learned that Stolarczyk did not have a permit for his handgun, which is required by state law.

“He didn’t have a legally possessed permit,” Keller explained.

Stolarczyk has been charged with one count of criminal possession of a firearm, a class E felony, troopers said. He was scheduled for arraignment this morning in Utica City Court.

Keller declined to comment on why Stolarczyk had not been charged with the deaths. He instead forwarded all questions to the District Attorney’s Office.

District Attorney Scott D. McNamara did not return calls this morning.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ed/1277426001/

Caledonia man, 55, shot to death during argument with daughter, her boyfriend
    Sophia Carson
    A 55-year-old Caledonia man is dead after an argument with the man’s daughter and her boyfriend, police said.

Robert Luckfield Jr. was shot to death about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday on the 4800 block of Tanglewood Avenue in Caledonia after he fired his handgun at the couple, police said.

The boyfriend took Luckfield’s daughter into a bedroom and armed himself with a rifle, police said. Then the argument escalated, and the boyfriend told police he shot Luckfield in self-defense.

An autopsy appears to back up the boyfriend’s account, police said. Investigators searched the home again Wednesday morning and found more evidence.

The names of the boyfriend and Luckfield’s daughter are not being released at this time, Caledonia police said.

The shooting is still under investigation, and police have not arrested anyone.

https://www.kvia.com/crime/eppd-man-...ner/1082229656

EPPD: Man shot and killed in East El Paso broke into home, attempted to assault sister's ex

EL PASO, Texas - Detectives with the Crimes Against Persons Unit identified the man shot and killed in East El Paso Wednesday night as 29-year-old Jorge Cano Jr.

Police said Cano Jr. was shot and killed after breaking into the residence at 11219 Les Peterson. The shooting happened shortly before 9 p.m. on May 29, 2019.

According to investigators, Cano Jr. and his sister, 23-year-old Jessica Cano, broke into the home in order to confront the woman's ex-boyfriend, identified by police as 35-year-old Aaron Raymond Roman.

Police said the Canos intended "to assault" Roman after breaking into the residence. "Jorge Cano forced his way into the residence by kicking in the front door and both he and Jessica Cano entered the home intending to assault Roman," police said.

Police said Roman acted in self defense when he shot Jorge Cano, who died at the scene.

Jessica Cano was later charged with Burglary of Habitation and booked into the El Paso County Detention Facility on a $40,000 bond.

Police have not released an arrest photo for Jessica Cano.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/201905300133

DA won't charge tow truck driver who shot, paralyzed rival at Homewood crash scene

Authorities will not press charges against the tow truck driver who shot a rival driver as they responded to the same crash in Homewood in February.

Jerald Robinson, of C&R Collision, acted in self-defense when he shot and paralyzed Jason Stotlemeyer, of Halbleib’s Auto Body, around 3:40 p.m. Feb. 2 in the 900 block of Washington Boulevard, a spokesman for the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office said Thursday.

“They reached that decision, in my understanding, based on the fact that Mr. Stotlemeyer was the aggressor and had a deadly weapon in his hand at the time,” said Fred Rabner, Mr. Robinson's attorney.

Mr. Stotlemeyer, 27, was holding a baseball bat when Mr. Robinson shot him. The bullet traveled through his right hand, into his shoulder and through his spinal cord, leaving him paralyzed from the chest down.

Shelly Bradbury
    Will a paralyzed tow truck driver, shot by a rival, be the catalyst for change in a rough business?
    The shooting escalated from a verbal dispute about which tow truck driver was going to tow a vehicle involved in a crash.

Attorney Casey White, who represents Mr. Stotlemeyer, said Thursday that Mr. Stotlemyer was “very disappointed” by the decision not to press charges against Mr. Robinson.

“Not once did he ever swing [the bat],” Mr. White said. But, he added, given the way the state’s stand-your-ground law is written, prosecutors would have had “a difficult burden to overcome” because Mr. Stotlemeyer was holding the baseball bat.

State law allows for a citizen to use deadly force instead of retreating if the citizen has a right to be where he is, believes he must use force to prevent death, serious injury, kidnapping or rape, and the other party is armed with a firearm or deadly weapon.

Mr. White said he was nevertheless confident the district attorney’s office could have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Stotlemeyer was the victim of an assault.

Mr. Rabner said Mr. Robinson was “happy and relieved” to hear that he would not face charges.

“He was very confident that this is what the conclusion would be because he had the truth on his side,” Mr. Rabner said.

Mr. Stotlemeyer is pursuing civil remedies, Mr. White said, and hopes that Pittsburgh changes its towing regulations to make the industry safer for drivers.

“He hopes this incident starts a change, if it hasn’t already, in the way tow truck companies conduct themselves within the city of Pittsburgh and surrounding boroughs and municipalities,” Mr. White said. “Obviously this is a dangerous game these trucking companies are playing and Jason will suffer for the rest of his life as a result.”

A week after Mr. Stotlemeyer was shot, the city made public plans to assign particular companies to handle the bulk of calls in particular areas of the city in an effort to cut down on tow truck drivers racing each other to accidents and fighting about who gets the tow.

Such “chasing” is forbidden by state law but still happens regularly in Pittsburgh, especially at companies where tow truck drivers are paid by the tow, and not by the hour.

The city in February began a bidding process to assign particular areas of the city to particular companies. That proposal is currently going through revisions in the city’s law department, a city spokeswoman said Thursday.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/fort...end-police-say

Intruder is shot inside Fort Worth home after fight with girlfriend led to break-ins
    5 hrs ago
    A man who broke into a Fort Worth home twice and fought with residents was shot Thursday morning when an argument with his girlfriend ended in bloodshed, police said.

The shooting happened around 2:30 a.m. in the 3400 block of Schwartz Avenue, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported.

The man, whose name has not been released, was shot by someone in the home the second time he broke into the home, the newspaper reported. The first time, he broke in and fought with residents but ran away before it could escalate.

After trying to flee, the suspect was taken to an area hospital with a gunshot wound in his abdomen, the Star-Telegram reported. His condition was unknown.

The break-ins started after the man and his girlfriend got into an argument at a nearby store, KTVT-TV (Channel 11) reported. He then broke into the home through a side window.

https://www.wisn.com/article/i-was-s...fense/25417860

'I was scared': Concealed carry permit owner shot man in self-defense
    Police have charged a man who was shot Wednesday outside Milwaukee Police Headquarters.

WISN Updated: 6:42 PM CDT May 31, 2019
    MILWAUKEE —
    Police have charged a man who was shot Wednesday outside Milwaukee Police Headquarters.

Investigators determined the woman who shot the man was acting in self-defense.

Advertisement
    RELATED CONTENT
    Man shot outside Milwaukee Police Headquarters
    She was only in police custody for several minutes after the shooting.

Witnesses backed up her account of what happened.

Police said Joseph Drier, 59, attacked the woman after arguing that she should not have a handicapped parking placard in her car.

John Drier
    "It happened so fast. All I knew was the panic. I was fighting for my life. I was afraid," the woman told WISN 12 News.

She did not want to be identified Friday.

The 28-year-old woman said Drier attacked her as she returned to her car.

"I said, 'Don't walk up on me,' and he turned around and went and got something -- a weapon," she said.

It turned out to be a steering wheel lock.

She said Drier swung it at her as she held him off with one hand.

That's when she reached into her purse and pulled out her handgun.

"I'm screaming for help at the top of my lungs. No one would help me. I was scared. I felt like my life was in danger," she said.

She fired one shot and hit Drier in the leg.

"An FBI agent came out of nowhere and told me, 'Freeze, FBI, put the weapon down.' I put it down, he said put my hands up and step away from the weapon, which I did, because I was afraid," she said.

She was not parked in a handicapped spot and had paid to park.

"I didn't want to shoot to kill... I felt like I didn't need to do anything more. All I wanted was help, and that was my help," she said.

Drier told police the woman looked too young to be using a handicapped placard.

He said he was "sick of people taking advantage of the system."

According to a criminal complaint, Drier said he threatened to hit the woman with the steering wheel lock and she shot him.

Drier admitted he was wrong for confronting the woman and he believed she shot him in self-defense, police said.

Investigators said they interviewed numerous witnesses who saw the shooting.

The woman has had a concealed carry permit for the past two years.

Drier was charged with criminal damage to property with a dangerous weapon and disorderly conduct with a dangerous weapon.

If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison

2 today

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/...theast-valley/
    Police: Southeast Las Vegas homeowner kills intruder in self defense
    By Ricardo Torres-Cortez

Published Fri, May 31, 2019 (3:02 p.m.)

Updated Fri, May 31, 2019 (4:44 p.m.)

A purported burglar was shot and killed this afternoon by a homeowner in a southeast valley neighborhood, according to Metro Police.

Preliminarily, the investigation “clearly indicates the homeowner acted in self-defense,” Lt. Ray Spencer said.

About 12:10 p.m. the shooter and his older brother were home in the 4700 block of Marnell Drive when at least one person broke in, Spencer said.

Alerted of noises, the older brother left his bedroom and confronted the suspect in a hallway where a fight ensued, Spencer said.

At some point, the younger homeowner grabbed a gun and fired multiple rounds, striking the suspect, Spencer said. The fight continued outside where the suspect collapsed on the driveway.

A neighbor who heard the commotion went to check on the noise and called 911, Spencer said. The suspect died at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center.

Police recovered a backpack that belonged to the suspect, but hadn’t gone through it about 4 p.m., Spencer said. It wasn’t clear if there were any other suspects outstanding.

The brothers’ house was also burglarized in April, Spencer said.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    https://www.wisn.com/article/i-was-s...fense/25417860

'I was scared': Concealed carry permit owner shot man in self-defense

WISN Updated: 6:42 PM CDT May 31, 2019
    MILWAUKEE —

Investigators determined the woman who shot the man was acting in self-defense.

Advertisement
    RELATED CONTENT
    Man shot outside Milwaukee Police Headquarters
    She was only in police custody for several minutes after the shooting.

Witnesses backed up her account of what happened.

Police said Joseph Drier, 59, attacked the woman after arguing that she should not have a handicapped parking placard in her car.

John Drier
    "It happened so fast. All I knew was the panic. I was fighting for my life. I was afraid," the woman told WISN 12 News.

She did not want to be identified Friday.

The 28-year-old woman said Drier attacked her as she returned to her car.

"I said, 'Don't walk up on me,' and he turned around and went and got something -- a weapon," she said.

It turned out to be a steering wheel lock.

She said Drier swung it at her as she held him off with one hand.

That's when she reached into her purse and pulled out her handgun.

"I'm screaming for help at the top of my lungs. No one would help me. I was scared. I felt like my life was in danger," she said.

She fired one shot and hit Drier in the leg.

"An FBI agent came out of nowhere and told me, 'Freeze, FBI, put the weapon down.' I put it down, he said put my hands up and step away from the weapon, which I did, because I was afraid," she said.

She was not parked in a handicapped spot and had paid to park.

"I didn't want to shoot to kill... I felt like I didn't need to do anything more. All I wanted was help, and that was my help," she said.

Drier told police the woman looked too young to be using a handicapped placard.

He said he was "sick of people taking advantage of the system."

According to a criminal complaint, Drier said he threatened to hit the woman with the steering wheel lock and she shot him.

Drier admitted he was wrong for confronting the woman and he believed she shot him in self-defense, police said.

Investigators said they interviewed numerous witnesses who saw the shooting.

The woman has had a concealed carry permit for the past two years.

Drier was charged with criminal damage to property with a dangerous weapon and disorderly conduct with a dangerous weapon.

If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison

Yet another example proving that women who choose to carry a firearm for their protection are empowered by not refusing to become the next violence statistic.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019...glar-dead.html

Cleveland home invasion suspect charged in shootout that left fellow burglar dead

CLEVELAND, Ohio — A 28-year-old man is charged in connection with a home invasion turned shootout that ended with the man’s accomplice dead, according to police.

Ernest Switzer of Cleveland is charged with aggravated murder in the death of Martinez Levenshown, 49. He also faces an aggravated burglary charge.

Switzer was arrested after he showed up at University Hospitals with a gunshot wound to his right arm, police said. A court date has not yet been set.

Switzer is not accused of fatally shooting Levenshown, but can be charged with his death under Ohio law because he’s accused of committing a felony with Levenshown that led to Levenshown’s death.

A 30-year-old resident of the home shot Levenshown and told police he acted in self-defense. He was arrested on a probation violation, but not in connection with the shooting.

An Ohio law known as the Castle Doctrine lets a person use deadly force against intruders into their home or car.

The incident happened about 10:30 p.m. at a home on Laisy Avenue near East 93rd Street in the city’s Kinsman neighborhood.

Levenshown, Switzer and a third man police have not yet identified forced their way into the 30-year-old man’s home, police said.

The trio attacked the 30-year-old man and threatened to shoot him, according to police. Levenshown pulled out a gun, as did the 30-year-old man, according to police.

Both fired shots at each other and Levenshown was killed. The 30-year-old man was shot in the forearm and Switzer in his arm and finger, police said.

Switzer and the unidentified man ran from the home. The 30-year-old man flagged down a police officer in the area and told him that a man was shot and not moving inside his home, police said.

Levenshown was pronounced dead at the scene by medics, police said. Police found two guns at the home.

https://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/rol...men/2043115338

Rolla man shot after harassing a group of men

ROLLA, Mo. -- Police say a man is seriously hurt after he entered a home, and harassed people until one of those people shot him.

It happened just after midnight, on Elm Street in Rolla.

The man went into the home, and started fighting with the three men there.

One of the men shot the intruder in the face.

No one has been arrested, and police aren't releasing any names.

Page 236 of 339 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast