Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 21 of 339 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

We are up to 200 posts in this thread since January 29th. Probably 190 or so of the posts are example of citizens using firearms to protect themselves (most from this year) or others in some form. That was with me taking well over a month off from the site for lent. That's with just doing simple google searches for examples and not digging to deep. I am sure I miss a lot of examples and many examples probably do not make the news at all.

I am mentioning this because the article in my first post mentions this line.....

"On January 12 the New York Times editorial board wrote against national reciprocity legislation that would allow citizens to be armed for self-defense in more places. The paper claimed, “The grim truth is that concealed-carry permit holders are rarely involved in stopping crime.”"

I think the point is being made........ concealed carry holders and people who own guns ARE involved in stopping crime and protecting themselves. Good guys with guns are protecting themselves and making a difference. We have a lot of clear examples in this thread.

Another example.

Fatal Orlando apartment complex shooting was in self-defense, witness says
    http://www.wftv.com/news/local/fatal...says/549415819

Geffrard Etienne was in the apartment where the incident started and said the shooting was in self defense.

Etienne said he and his roommate were held at gunpoint by an intruder, but when the man's gun jammed, the roommate grabbed his own gun and took chase.

"So, my roommate pulls out the gun (and the intruder) started running," Etienne said. "He opened the door, so my roommate (was) running behind him. All I hear is three gunshots, but I didn't go outside."

Etienne said he feared the worst when he heard the gunshots.

"I thought it was (the intruder) shooting my roommate," he said. "So, when my roommate came back inside, he say that, "I think he dead.' When he said that, I took my phone and called 911."

So far, no arrests have been made, and police aren't searching for a gunman, Woodhall said.

Investigators were seen combing a second-floor apartment for clues.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    [SIZE=2]We are up to 200 posts in this thread since January 29th. Probably 190 or so of the posts are example of citizens using firearms to protect themselves (most from this year) or others in some form. That was with me taking well over a month off from the site for lent. That's with just doing simple google searches for examples and not digging to deep. I am sure I miss a lot of examples and many examples probably do not make the news at all.

I am mentioning this because the article in my first post mentions this line.....

"On January 12 the New York Times editorial board wrote against national reciprocity legislation that would allow citizens to be armed for self-defense in more places. The paper claimed, “The grim truth is that concealed-carry permit holders are rarely involved in stopping crime.”"

I think the point is being made........ concealed carry holders and people who own guns ARE involved in stopping crime and protecting themselves. Good guys with guns are protecting themselves and making a difference. We have a lot of clear examples in this thread. ]
    Keep it up! Mabye consider updating the OP with that info.

Statistics, backed up by irrefutable evidence, saying things like, "Every day in the US, one or more free citizens rely on their 2A right to lawfully and justifiably defend themselves and others against dangerous criminals."

I bet if everyone would dig a little to find the stories, the stats would reflect something closer to every 8 hours a free citizen's life is saved as a result of the caring responsible individuals that take it upon themselves to bear the burden of being lawfully armed.

Having that stat, and backing it up with a link to this thread would be powerful in many discussions with the anti-gun folks.

17-year-old Spokane girl pulls gun on home intruder on the run from Spokane County deputies

http://www.khq.com/story/35903003/17...ounty-deputies
    SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. -
    A 17-year-old north Spokane County girl protected herself and her home with her dad's gun when a suspected car thief on the run from Spokane County deputies came into her house Monday morning.

The incident originally started at around 5:00 a.m. when deputies spotted a stolen car in the Wandermere area. After a pursuit, the suspect ditched the car in a field and took off on foot.

Deputies set up a perimeter to look for the suspect.

KHQ responded to the scene and provided an update on the police activity on The Wake Up Show on KHQ.

Watching The Wake Up Show on KHQ was 17-year-old Kimber Wood's boyfriend and parents, who told her there was a car thief on the loose in the area and deputies were searching for him.

Kimber's parents and boyfriend left for work and after seeing our story. Her boyfriend came across some deputies on his way to work and got more information from them. He then called Kimber to let her know what deputies told him. Kimber then called her dad and asked if she could grab one of his guns for protection. He said yes.

Kimber grabbed a gun, placed it under her pillow and went back to sleep. A short time later she says she woke up to the sound of someone coming into her house. She grabbed the gun and hid behind her makeup vanity. She soon found herself face to face with the man on the run from deputies.

Kimber pulled her gun out, pointed at the suspect and said, "Who are you?" and "Get the (expletive) out of my house!"

According to Kimber, the intruder's eyes got really wide and he ran out of the house. As he was running from the home, Kimber says she fired one shot into the ground.

Kimber says the suspect stole her boyfriend's ATV and fled the scene.

Deputies searched for the suspect, but so far there has been no word on if he was apprehended. Deputies tell KHQ they know who they are looking for.

Deputies also showed up to Kimber's house to tell her what a great job she had done and that they were glad she was okay. They showed her a picture of the man they were looking for and Kimber positively identified him as the man who was also in her house.

More on this story tonight on KHQ Local News at 5.

A Follow up interview with the 17 year old girl in the last story.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-shoot-defend/
    Exclusive – Armed Girl Who Stopped Alleged Home Intrusion: The Gun Gave Me ‘The Upper Hand’

The 17-year-old girl, who used one of her father’s gun to stop an alleged home intrusion Monday morning, told Breitbart News she was able to handle herself confidently because the gun gave her “the upper hand.”
    Breitbart News reported that Kimber Woods was home alone when her boyfriend called and alerted her that a burglary suspect might be headed right for her. Kimber called her dad, asked if she could use a gun, then grabbed one and put it under her pillow after he said yes.

Soon, the suspect was in the house, and Kimber pointed the gun in his face and told him to get out. KHQ reported that Kimber ran outside and “fired one shot into the ground” as the suspect fled.

On July 19, Breitbart News talked to Kimber about this event and asked her if she felt confident once she had the gun in her hand. She said, “I knew how to use the gun, and it gave me a peace of mind that I had the upper hand and I was going to be safe.”

Kimber explained that she grew up shooting with her family and learning how to use firearms:

From about the age of six of seven, I was always out in our backyard with my grandpa, my dad, my brother — our family — target practicing. I’d sit there and watch and learn how they prepared themselves and how they used the guns. When I got to the age where my father thought I could use one myself, I tried it and I knew it was something that I needed to keep learning about. I knew guns could be dangerous things, but if I knew how to use one, I would be okay. So weekends we’d go out and shoot, come back and have lunch, then go back out and shoot some more.

Kimber’s dad, Lenny, added, “She was raised around guns, and from the time that she could understand, I drilled into them muzzle control, gun safety, every gun’s loaded, just like every parent across this country ought to do for their child.”

Breitbart News asked Lenny what he would say to Moms Demand Action, Everytown for Gun Safety, and other gun control groups who argue that homes with guns are more dangerous than homes without guns. He said simply, “At the end of the day, I get to hug my daughter — who’s alive and healthy and well — because of the firearm and the training she has had. And the other outcome is unthinkable.”

Source: Robbery suspect shot by 7-Eleven clerk, in critical condition
    http://wavy.com/2017/06/26/source-ro...cal-condition/

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A robbery suspect is in critical condition after he was shot by a 7-Eleven clerk Saturday, a source tells 10 On Your Side.

Virginia Beach police say Davin McClenney robbed the 7-Eleven in the 300 block of Kellam Road. Officers were called to a reported robbery at the convenience store at 1:06 a.m. Saturday.

Police say when they got on scene, they found McClenney with a gunshot wound to his upper body. He was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Man shot during 7-Eleven robbery in Virginia Beach

McClenney has been charged with two counts of robbery and wearing a mask in public. 10 On Your Side dug into his criminal history and found he has been arrested three other times for robberies. He pleaded guilty in 2006 to two counts of robbery.

McClenney was also charged after a home invasion on East Bay Shore Drive in July 2016. He spent several months in jail and then in December, he was allowed to bond out.

The Commonwealth Attorney’s office tells 10 On Your Side they argued against McClenney bonding out, but the judge still granted it.

McClenney was scheduled to go to trial on the charges in August.

WAVY News reached out to 7-Eleven management, who said they could not comment on the case.

Stay with 10 On Your Side for the latest updates on this developing story.

Two for today

UPDATE: Teen arrested in Belle Glade shooting denied bond

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...Ii9NJ2QJczzjL/

BELLE GLADE
    Two days after he reportedly opened fire outside the Florida Department of Health building in Belle Glade, Randolph Jackson on Wednesday was denied bond for attempted homicide and weapons charges.

Randolph Jackson, 18, was arrested early Tuesday on the charges but did not appear in court that morning because he was in a hospital, records show. He appeared Wednesday before Judge Dina Keever-Agrama, who ordered he be held without bond in the Palm Beahc County Jail.

The Belle Glade teen was taken to Delray Medical Center after being shot in the thigh, Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office records state.

MORE: Three shot near Belle Glade health department

Deputies say Jackson was riding on a Palm Tran bus Monday afternoon, on his way home from a meeting in West Palm Beach with his probation officer. He started to argue with another passenger, and the disagreement continued after they arrived in Belle Glade.

Surveillance footage reportedly shows four people walking toward their cars on State Road 80, along South Main Street and north of Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. Video then shows Jackson shooting at them and the people rushing for cover.

Jackson was near his mother’s car while he was firing the shots, records state. Two victims told sheriff’s deputies that she was driving the silver SUV from which Jackson was shooting. Deputies interviewed Jackson’s mother, who admitted to driving the car to pick up Jackson in the the health building’s parking lot and said someone began shooting, but she couldn’t see who.

One of the four people Jackson shot at grabbed a licensed .45-caliber handgun from his car and returned gunfire in self-defense, deputies said. A bullet hit Jackson in the upper right thigh. His trail of blood indicated he was shot outside the C.L. Brumback Health Center, but then rushed into it. Authorities found him near a 9 mm semi-automatic pistol.

MORE: Teen arrested in shooting at Belle Glade health department

Jackson was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries. One victim was shot in the left thigh and another was shot in the buttocks. Both were flown to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Court records indicate Jackson faces one attempted homicide charge, although the sheriff’s office said he will face four.

Suspected robber tries to steal beer, shot during gas station attack

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/...station-attack
    MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -
    A suspected robber was shot while assaulting a man at a gas station Friday afternoon, according to Memphis Police Department.

Officers said they received a call about a shooting at a gas station near the intersection of South Highland Street and Southern Avenue.

The shooter said a man came into the store and started assaulting him. He eventually pulled out a gun and opened fire at the suspected robber.

Police said the man was trying to steal two cans of beer and was also making threats to the store clerk. Police said when the man tried to steal two cans of beer, there was a confrontation between the store clerk and the suspected thief.

Police said the man started harassing the store clerk and implied he had a gun. Not long after that, according to police, the clerk opened fire with a gun and shot the man. The gunshot also injured a witness.

"I said 'are you going to the hospital' and he said 'well, they only got my hand'," a friend of the witness said.

Friends who rushed to the scene said the witness that was injured is a frequent customer of the store.

"That's what it comes down to is that everybody knows him [victim]," the victim's friend said.

A bullet hit the suspected robber, but he was able to run out of the gas station. However, he didn't get too far before police caught him. Officers caught up with him outside the business. First responders took him to the hospital as police continued to investigate what happened.

Copyright 2017 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

this happened 2 years ago, but looks like they have decided the shooting was self defense and are now charging the criminals accomplices.

2015 Austin homicide ruled self defense, victim’s friends charged instead

http://kxan.com/2017/07/21/2015-aust...arged-instead/
    AUSTIN (KXAN) — Two men who police say robbed a game room in December of 2015 that led to the shooting death of one of their friends are now facing charges of aggravated robbery.

The whole situation unfolded on Dec. 12, 2015, when police found the body of 27-year-old Eric Sorrells in the parking lot of an Exxon gas station at the corner of Burleson Road and US 183 around 2 a.m.

Around the same time, two women showed up the hospital claiming they were carjacked and pistol whipped at the intersection of Montopolis Drive and Burleson Road. At the time, the women claimed two black men wearing masks assaulted them and stole their belongings as well as their Honda Accord.

When investigators went back and looked at surveillance video from the gas station, the video showed the stolen Honda Accord pulling in around 1:40 a.m. The driver got out of the car, walked to the rear passenger door and pulled out the man identified as Sorrells.

According to an arrest warrant, around 12:30 a.m., an hour before Sorrells’ body was dropped off at the gas station, Sorrells and two other men, identified as Michael Berry, 28, and Darnell Barnett, 40, broke into the game room located in the 5700 block of Farm to Market 973. The two women who originally said they were carjacked ultimately revealed to police that they were at the game room because one of the women worked there and her girlfriend was picking her up from work that night.

While at the game room, the women said they heard a commotion and a “pop.” As they sought shelter in a closet, the men pulled them out, assaulted them and robbed them. When the scene finally cleared, the women came out and realized their car had been stolen.

The person managing the game room told detectives all three suspects had guns and they were shooting at him, so he shot back. He then hid underneath a trailer but while there, he heard one of the suspects say “I got hit!” before they left, continued in the affidavit.

According to the affidavit, Berry told Sorrells’ mother that he had to leave him at the gas station because he had warrants out for his arrest and he had cut his leg monitor off.

Both victims told police they were not truthful during the initial interview because they were afraid the suspects would hurt them.

The case against the game room operator was presented to the Travis County District Attorney’s Office in reference to Sorrells’ shooting death, but prosecution was denied claiming it was self defense.

Berry and Barnett have not been arrested on the new charges as of Friday afternoon.

Let's do two for today.

Prosecutor: Shooter acted in self-defense in fatal road rage shooting

http://fox17online.com/2017/06/30/pr...rage-shooting/
    GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Kent County Prosecutor has released more information Friday morning regarding an apparent road rage shooting that left one person dead and another one wounded.

Donald Dudley, 20, was shot and killed in the early morning hours of May 22 on M-37, north of Sparta Avenue NW. His brother, Benjamin, 18, was wounded.

Robert Chipman Jr., 43, of Newaygo, told deputies he shot both men during a physical altercation. Chipman has a valid state concealed pistol license, investigators say.

Friday morning, Prosecutor Chris Becker said that he will not be pressing charges against Chipman, believing that they would not be able to prove that Chipman was not acting in self-defense.

Becker said during the altercation, both Dudleys approached Chipman's vehicle with "hostile intent." Seeing the situation as a possible 2-on-1 altercation, Chipman was justified in using self-defense, according to Becker. They had also allegedly thrown at item at Chipman's vehicle.

You can watch the entire statement from Becker below. You can read the entire document here: Prosecutor Road Rage Decision

Ohio homeowner shoots two intruders

http://wjla.com/news/nation-world/oh...-two-intruders
    COLUMBIA TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WKRC) - A resident says of Columbia Township, Ohio said he was protecting his family when he grabbed a gun and shot two home intruders early Saturday morning.
    Police say two men broke into the home on Kenoak Lane just after 3 a.m.
    That's when 24-year-old Gary Gross grabbed a hammer and confronted the two intruders that he says he's never seen before.

After a brief struggle, Gross says he ran outside, grabbed a gun from his car, ran back inside and then shot both men who fled from the house and drove away.
    "They picked the wrong day to do something like that," Gary Gross told Local 12. "I don't want to kill anybody, so hopefully they'll be okay and they'll learn a lesson."

Gross says his girlfriend and son were in the house at the time of the home invasion.
    "You have to do what you got to do. You have to make sure that these guys do not make it to that back room. Your son is back there. If anything happens to you, he's defenseless, she's defenseless."

The suspects were located a short time later and taken to U.C. Medical Center.
    One of the men is in critical condition, the other is in stable condition. Their names have not been released at this time.

Page 21 of 339 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast