Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 203 of 339 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

https://www.abc15.com/national/husba...see-police-say

Husband shoots suspect trying to rob wife in Tennessee, police say
    A suspect is in the hospital after being shot while trying to rob a woman in Antioch, Tennessee Monday night.

The robbery occurred at approximately 9:40p.m.

Police said the suspect, described as a man in his early 20s, had robbed the victim when her husband intervened and shot the man in the stomach.

The suspect then fled the scene, and was later dropped off at TriStar Southern Hills Medical Center. Metro police said he suffered critical injuries.

The investigation is ongoing.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...0878bb9ef.html

Man reportedly shot in self-defense during dispute at north Tulsa apartment complex

Tulsa police are putting the pieces together after what was described as a drunken dispute escalated into a shooting Tuesday afternoon.

Sgt. Tim Lewandowski said police responded to the Newton Manor apartment complex in the 3300 block of East Newton Street about 4 p.m. Tuesday to a report of shots fired, soon finding a man who had been shot once in the arm.

Lewandowski said witnesses described the gunshot victim as having instigated the dispute, acting aggressively toward the armed person and using a baseball bat to damage the other man's car.

The armed man fired one round into the air trying to warn the other man before shooting him in the arm in self-defense, Lewandowski said. The armed man left the scene and Lewandowski said he was soon in contact with investigating officers.

Lewandowski did not release the names of either man pending any charges. He said he did not expect charges against the shooter, but other charges not related to the shooting were possible.

Get the Morning Read newsletter in your inbox each morning with the top stories.

https://www.bdtonline.com/news/homeo...28dbf0866.html

Homeowners, including one armed with an AR-15, fight back against burglars in three Mercer County cases
    By GREG JORDAN Bluefield Daily Telegraph4 hrs ago
    PRINCETON - A homeowner armed with an AR-15 confronted a female intruder wielding an axe handle, homeowners chasing down a sneaky thief who tried breaking into their residence, and a homeowner holding an intruder at gunpoint were among the three burglaries local deputies handled in a 24-hour period.

Robert Raye Vipperman, no age available, of Princeton and Heather Shine Thompson, no age available, of Salisbury, NC. were arraigned Wednesday before Magistrate Mike Flanigan.

Vipperman was charged with two counts of attempt to commit a felony, burglary; and two counts of trespassing. Vipperman allegedly tried to break into the enclosed porch of a Lemay Avenue home near Bluefield, according to Chief Deputy Joe Parks of the Mercer County Sheriff’s Department.

Homeowners who were on the porch chased him down and held him until deputies arrived. Flanigan set bond at $10,000 cash or surety bond and remanded him to the Southern Regional Jail.

Thompson, who was charged with one count of burglary, allegedly broke into a home at Poetown Road in the Bluewell area, Parks said. She swung an axe handle at a homeowner who was armed with an AR-15. Flanigan set a $5,000 cash or surety bond and remanded her to the regional jail.

A suspect in a third burglary incident, Derick Price, no age available, of Lashmeet, was arrested after a Princeton area homeowner woke up early Monday morning, found him in his living room and held him at gunpoint, Parks said. Price was arraigned Monday.

Parks and Sheriff Tommy Bailey said drugs were a common factor in all three incidents. In two of the incidents, the suspects risked being shot by homeowners.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/ne...bb5116cc9.html

Mackay woman tries to shake cougar off pet dog; husband shoots, kills cat

Danese Maynard, of Mackay, woke up to the sound of her dog screaming in the wee hours Jan. 30, ran out into the snow in her bare feet and nightgown and tried to pull what she thought was another dog off her blue heeler. She was surprised to discover she was trying to break the death grip a young male cougar had on her dog’s throat.

Maynard grabbed the cougar, which she estimated weighed 80 pounds, by the scruff of its neck and lifted its front end off the ground along with her blue heeler, Bella, which weighs 25 or 30 pounds. (In a press release, the Idaho Department of Fish and Game estimated the mountain lion’s weight at 35 pounds.)

“Oh! These ain’t dog ears!” she thought to herself. When she realized she was shaking a cougar, she thought “now what?”

“Cat!” Maynard shouted to her husband, Dean, who was still inside the couple’s house on Fullmer Avenue on the southwest edge of Mackay.

“OK!” Dean called back, not understanding that this was no ordinary house cat fighting their dog. “Oh!” he shouted and came running when she hollered it was a mountain lion she had by the neck.

Normally, Danese, who is anemic, can’t lift 40 pounds. “It was all adrenaline,” she said.

Together, Dean and Danese couldn’t pry the mountain lion off Bella, so Dean ran back into the house, got his gun and fired it next to the cougar’s ear. Still no effect. So Dean shot the cougar through the ear, taking care not to hit Bella or his wife, who still had the lion by the neck. That worked.

We don’t believe in killing animals unless we absolutely have to,” Danese said. The Maynards don’t allow hunting on their 25-acre property adjacent to the Big Lost River bottom and not far from Mackay High School.

Cougars have come and gone through their property and not caused any problems for the Maynards’ dogs or the cattle and horses they used to keep. Now deer have moved into town, probably because there are wolves on Mackay Mine Hill, Danese said, so what’s a hungry young cougar to do for a meal?

Once a cougar tastes blood, it won’t give up its grip on its prey, Idaho Fish and Game Conservation Officer Steve Roberts later told Danese. Mountain lions instinctively bite their usual prey, deer, on the neck and hold on with a death grip to smother them.

“This cat would just not let go!” Danese said.

Roberts estimated the mountain lion was about a year and a half old, which is about the age juvenile cougars leave their mothers and begin to fend for themselves.

“He didn’t know what to do,” and probably hadn’t learned to hunt deer on his own, Danese said of the cougar. “He was just looking for an easy meal and Bella was small enough and convenient.”

The cougar pulled Bella out of the doghouse that she shares with her pup, Fuzz, and tried to kill her about 20 feet from the front door of the Maynards’ log home.

Danese believes the mountain lion got Bella, not Fuzz, because Bella was trying to protect her puppy. Bella had wounds to her head, neck and throat as well as on her stomach and paw, none of which were bad enough for a veterinarian to suture.

Danese had some superficial scratches she treated with hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic cream. Roberts had to report the encounter to the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare as a human-mountain lion incident even though Danese says it was all about Bella.

The cougar tested negative for rabies.

The Maynards have 12 dogs, all of which have their own separate houses and kennels except Bella and Fuzz, who share one. Danese, a lifelong Mackay area resident, used to work cows with her heelers but says she’s now “medically retired.”

Fish and Game reported this was the third incident in January of a mountain lion attacking a dog. A dog was killed by a mountain lion in the Ketchum area and another dog in the Bellevue area was attacked and later died from its injuries.

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/fl...ers/1763012964

Florida homeowner shoots, kills masked intruders
    MIMS, Fla. (WESH) - Two masked men were fatally shot Thursday after deputies said they broke into a home in Mims.

The shooting happened at a home on West Court around 12:20 p.m., officials with the Brevard County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies said two masked men entered the home in an apparent effort to commit a robbery.

When the men got inside, one of the residents grabbed a gun and shot them both.

One person was pronounced dead at the scene, while the second man ran outside and collapsed near the street. That person was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, deputies said.

The name of the men killed has not been released.

"Right now it appears it is a case of them defending themselves in the home," Brevard County Sheriff's Spokesperson Tod Goodyear said.

The investigation is ongoing.

Follow this story to get instant e-mail alerts from WESH on the latest developments and related topics.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ma...505529101.html

Dallas police identified the man they say led them on wild chase Wednesday, carjacking a pregnant woman at gunpoint and running into a home with people inside.
    Austin Reed, 26, is in the hospital after being shot by police. Reed, who is expected to survive, faces several robbery and assault charges.
    The homeowner who was startled when Reed ran inside his unlocked door said he immediately went into survival mode.
    "It was quite an emotional, surreal day," said Ron Hernandez.

It began innocently enough in the North Dallas neighborhood.
    Hernandez had just gotten off of work and was discussing dinner plans with his roommate in their living room.
    "Then all of the sudden we hear somebody running down the hallway," he said. "[My roommate] and I look at each other like 'what in the world was that?' As I look up somebody's yelling 'give me your f'ing keys, give me your f'ing keys!' I’m like: Who in the hell are you?"

Hernandez had no idea the shirtless, bloodied intruder had just led Dallas police officer on a chase after allegedly holding one woman against her will at a motel and carjacking another woman at gunpoint at a nearby apartment complex.
    Police said Reed fired a gun and was wearing body armor. He is even seen pointing a gun toward NBC 5’s Texas Sky Ranger.

"He comes to confront me and assault me and when he realizes how big I am he kind of stops, takes out a knife and then charges at me," said Hernandez.

It began innocently enough in the North Dallas neighborhood.
    Hernandez had just gotten off of work and was discussing dinner plans with his roommate in their living room.
    "Then all of the sudden we hear somebody running down the hallway," he said. "[My roommate] and I look at each other like 'what in the world was that?' As I look up somebody's yelling 'give me your f'ing keys, give me your f'ing keys!' I’m like: Who in the hell are you?"

The ex-military man who grew up boxing managed to fight Reed off and ran toward his bedroom for his gun.
    "He was kicking [the door] and hitting it, trying to bust the door so he could get to us. I opened the door and put the gun to his face and he took off running down the hallway," he said.
    Outside, officers swarmed the home on Jackson Creed Drive and shot the man after he allegedly refused their commands to drop the knife.

"If Dallas police didn't tell me to drop my weapon I would've pulled the trigger," said Hernandez. "I would've pulled the trigger to save my own life and my friend's because that was pretty scary."

It's the look on the stranger's face Hernandez won't soon forget.
    "Fear," he described. And nothing to lose, said Hernandez.

https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/news/...-back-19197914

Alleged robber dies in hail of bullets after homeowner fights back
    BOTHO MOLOSANKWE

Picture: Pexels
    An alleged robber died under a hail of bullets when the owner of the house he had broken into shot and killed him.

The man's accomplices fled, leaving his bullet-riddled body behind. Neither the homeowner or his wife were injured.

According to Gauteng police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini, the owner, 50, was asleep on Thursday night when he woke up to find four people in his bedroom.

"One of the suspects shot at him and he also returned fire with his licensed firearm. He fired several shots and one of the suspects was fatally shot while three others managed to escape.

"The suspect died at the scene and police seized an unlicensed firearm. Nothing was taken in the house and the owner was not injured. He was taken to the hospital as he was traumatised. Police have launched a manhunt for the other three suspects who fled."

Netcare911's Shawn Herbst said they went to the house around 9.30pm and found a man in his late 20s.

"Reports from the scene indicated that a male in his late twenties and believed to be a suspect in a house robbery sustained a fatal gunshot wound after being shot by an occupant of the house.

"The patient was assessed on scene by an advanced life support paramedic and found to have no signs of life and declared deceased. None of the occupants of the house were injured," he said.

Dlamini said on the very same night, police followed up information of four suspects driving a Hyundai who had allegedly robbed a salon at Bramley.

"They had hijacked a VW Polo whilst they were fleeing from the scene. They also hijacked another vehicle, a BMW at Edenvale then drove towards Tembisa while police were tracking them. The Polo and BMW were found abandoned in Norkem Park.

"The four suspects, who were driving a Hyundai, came across a roadblock in Thembisa where a shootout ensued. One of the suspect was shot and killed and two others arrested. A fourth suspect managed to escape. Stolen cellphones, perfumes, a laptop and an unlicensed firearm were seized and their gateway vehicle impounded."

Dlamini said the man who escaped was an ex-convict who had just been released on parole.

Police are still searching for him.

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...se/2811755002/

Charges against Michael Jones dismissed in August shooting case, video shows self-defense
    Shelby Le Duc
    GREEN BAY - Charges have been dismissed against a Green Bay man who shot a teen during an altercation last year at an east side laundromat.

Brown County Circuit Court judge Kendall M. Kelley on Friday dismissed charges against Michael S. Jones, 23, on Friday, during what was expected to be a plea hearing.

Special prosecutor William Ackellsaid surveillance video showed Jones was acting in self-defense.

"A review of high-quality video shows the defendant was being attacked or robbed by individuals he had a history with," Ackell said. "His decision to use the gun seems reasonable."

Jones, who was not present at the hearing, had been charged with first-degree recklessly endangering safety through the use of a dangerous weapon. He was accused of shooting a 16-year-old in the thigh Aug. 14 during a confrontation at a laundromat in the 300 block of South Webster Ave. Jones was arrested the following day. He spent one day in jail before he was released on a signature bond.

According to a criminal complaint, video from the laundromat showed Jones doing laundry about 3:30 p.m. that day when several people entered and an argument ensued.

The fight was about whether Jones had previously attacked a teen girl's cousin.

"I don't know you. I didn't jump anyone," Jones told the group, according to a criminal complaint.

Jones told police the group was staring him down and that he knew "right then and there that something was going to happen."

Jones fired his gun and the teen was hit in the thigh.

Kelley agreed to drop the charges, but also noted the state could still pursue criminal charges if new information emerges.

Meanwhile, a court case is continuing against another Green Bay man suspected of involvement in a related shooting incident about an hour after the incident at the laundromat.

Trevon Massey, 22, of Green Bay, is charged with two counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety. Police said no one was injured when Massey shot at a house in the 800 block of East Walnut Street.

RELATED: Green Bay Police seek man in connection with Tuesday shootings, another in custody

Police said both incidents appeared to be in retaliation for an earlier disturbance, but described the events leading to the shootings as "convoluted."

Massey is due back in court Feb. 25.

http://www.wsfa.com/2019/02/08/polic...-self-defense/

Police: Shooting of man in Enterprise could be self defense
    By Shyra Sherfield February 8, 2019 at 12:18 PM CST - Updated February 8 at 12:18 PM
    ENTERPRISE, AL (WSFA) - Police are investigating after an Enterprise man was shot and killed Thursday evening, according to Enterprise Police Department Lt. Billy Haglund.

Haglund says the department has begun an investigation involving the death of 39-year-old Rocky Beasley. When officers arrived in the 100 block of County Road 270, they found Beasley, who had been shot in the chest.

The suspect was at the scene when officers arrived, according to Haglund. After speaking with the Coffee County District Attorney’s Office, the suspect was released without charges.

The initial investigation revealed the shooting could have resulted in self-defense.

No additional information has been released at this time.

https://www.oaoa.com/news/crime_just....html?mode=jqm

Woman found not guilty of murdering husband
    Attorney argued self-defense
    By Paul Wedding pwedding@oaoa.com | Posted 14 minutes ago

A woman who had been charged with murder was found not guilty by an Ector County jury Thursday based on the argument of self-defense.

The trial was held in the 161st District Court of Judge John Smith at the Ector County Courthouse. Blanca Salazar, the defendant, was represented by Michael McLeaish and Jason Leach. Assistant District Attorneys Melissa Williams and Scott Turner prosecuted the case.

District Attorney Bobby Bland said Salazar, 49, had acknowledged killing her husband, 60-year-old Israel Salazar, but was claiming self-defense. Bland said there was evidence Salazar’s husband had been violent with her in the past that the prosecution didn’t dispute, so the question was whether it was a killing in self-defense.

“Our position was it wasn’t (self-defense), and their position was it was and the jury sided with them,” Bland said. “We certainly respect and understand the jury’s verdict.”

Salazar was first arrested by Ector County deputies in October 2014 in her home in the 200 block of Valencia Street. Deputies found the victim dead after suffering multiple gunshot wounds. The affidavit released at the time didn’t offer a motive for the shooting, only that Salazar confessed to the killing.

McLeaish said Salazar married the victim after meeting him through her first husband. Salazar moved in with him, and for about two years he would occasionally beat her, first with an occasional slap, and later punching her.

There was an incident before the killing, McLeaish said, where Salazar and her husband went on a trip to San Antonio where her husband wound up beating Salazar to the point of her bleeding, and she reportedly had to call her ex-husband to take her home and keep her away from him. But McLeaish said she wound up going back with him, and on the night of the shooting, he beat her again before she shot him.

“The jury saw some knots on her head, bruises on her body, and she shot him, and there it is,” McLeaish said. “They acquitted her on self-defense, and I think that’s exactly what happened.”

Family members of Israel Salazar did not return requests for comment.

Page 203 of 339 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303 ... LastLast