Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 17 of 339 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

From last year

Durham teen shot to death while trying to force his way into apartment, police say
    http://wncn.com/2016/09/12/1-dead-1-...tment-complex/

Durham police responded to a report of a shooting at 12:42 a.m. in the 800 block of East Woodcroft Parkway at South Terrace at Auburn Apartments.

Police said that Jalen Thompson Johnson, 16, of Durham, was wearing a mask and was “apparently…attempting to force entry into an occupied apartment.”

Johnson and the man who lived in the home appeared to have exchanged gunfire, according to police. The man in the apartment was shot in the leg and transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

That man called 911. That call revealed frantic moments after the violence.

“I’ve been shot. Oh my God,” the caller said, and continued,”My girlfriend has been kidnapped.”

The caller told the operator he had been shot in the leg, saying “I shot the suspect when he tried to enter my house.”

“It was more than one person.” he said,”You’ve got to get somebody to hurry up and find my girlfriend. She is missing.”

Police tell CBS North Carolina there was no kidnapping; the girlfriend was later found outside. The caller is heard on the 911 call talking to officers on the scene. “Sir, I shot him. I did it.” the caller said, “He came, it was a home invasion, I thought he took my girlfriend.”

The teenager left dead after the gunfire, Jalen Johnson, was a student at Hillside High School in Durham. The school’s principal, Dr. William Logan, said Johnson was a “great kid” and called his death a “loss to our school.”

Word about Johnson’s death spread quickly via social media and the school worked quickly to provide a way for students to grieve.

“Counselors from our team are here to assist the students,” Logan said.

For many, first word of what happened to Johnson was on social media.

“I saw it on Instagram saying rest in peace,” said Jareen Shelton, who knew Johnson. “He was really cool, real funny guy. Cool to be around, you know?”

Broderick Garner, a resident who has lived at the apartment complex for about nine months, told CBS North Carolina his girlfriend lives in the unit right next to where the shooting took place. He said her roommate called police after hearing gunshots.

“Nothing really happens over here. It’s always quiet. This is a total surprise to me,” Garner said.

He said this is the first incident that has occurred there since he moved in.

No charges have been filed at this time and the investigation is ongoing, police said.

Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator J. Barr at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29325 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200.

Elderly man shoots, kills burglar after 13 break-ins: ‘I’ve been a prisoner in my house’

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...ter-13-break-/

An Alabama man whose home has been robbed 13 times since last summer shot and killed a burglar Wednesday.

John Croft, 79, woke up early Wednesday morning to hear the command, “Don’t move.” The Center Point homeowner pulled out his personal handgun and then fired when the teenage suspect in his bedroom used a racial epithet.

“I’ve been a prisoner in my house,” Mr. Crofttold a local Fox News affiliate. “When I heard the noise, that’s when they opened the window from the basement coming to the level where the bedrooms are. I have three bedrooms. I think they checked the other two bedrooms out and then he came over there and said, ‘Don’t move!’ He heard the bed squeak. I was getting my gun. He said, ‘Don’t move’ and he used the N-word and I shot.”

The victim, who was also shot in the ankle, said he takes no joy in the boy’s death but does not regret shooting him.

“I just hate to meet his mother because it was a teen,” Mr. Croft said. “And there’s nothing as precious to a mom as a son. And you know what’s been happening to black boys today. For another black man to shoot one don’t look good. But like I say, I had no choice.”

Police did not identify the deceased individual and are looking for two other suspects.

Mr. Croft will not be charged with any crimes since his actions were made in self-defense, officials told the station.

BRUNSWICK, Ga. - Police are investigating a possible deadly self-defense shooting in Glynn County.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/georgia...ing-police-say

According to Glynn County Police, officers were called to Ogg Avenue in Brunswick about 4:15 p.m. Sunday because of a domestic disturbance.
    They found Termaine Waye, 31, lying on the ground in front of the home with a gunshot wound to the head. He was taken to the South East Georgia Regional Medical Center in Brunswick, where he died.

A 25-year-old man was taken into custody without incident in connection with the shooting, but the preliminary investigation indicates the shooting was justified and the man has not been charged with a crime. News4Jax is not naming him, because he is not facing charges.

Glynn County Police are continuing to collect and review statements from witnesses. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Investigator Palmer at 912-279-2919, silent witness at 912-264-1333, or private message the department's Facebook page.

From yesterday.

Police say man acted in self defense in fatal shooting

http://goldenisles.news/news/local_n...89c203eda.html
    BRENTWOOD — A double fatal shooting at a house less than two blocks from a middle school appears to be a case of self-defense, police said Thursday.

The two men who died in the shooting apparently had a gun when they entered the home about 11:15 p.m. Wednesday, Brentwood police Lt. Walter O’Grodnick said. Police did not identify the pair or give their ages, pending notification of relatives. Fire officials said they were adults.
    The shooter lived at the home in the 200 block of Birch Street and he was detained, then released, O’Grodnick said.

“The preliminary information shows it to be a home-invasion robbery,” O’Grodnick said. “Two suspects. One with a firearm. They presented a threat, and the shooting was prompted in self-defense.”

The home is 100 yards from Edna Hill Middle School.

One bullet also pierced a gas meter on the side of the home, and Pacific Gas & Electric crews responded, along with eight firefighters and a battalion chief, Battalion Chief Ross Macumber of the East Contra Costa Fire Protection District said.

One neighbor said Thursday morning that two shots were heard, followed by a flurry of gunfire.

It was the first time in more than five years that Brentwood — a city with lower crime rates than many in East Contra Costa — has seen a slaying. The city’s most recent killing was in March 2012, and was ruled a murder-suicide involving a married couple.

Brentwood police are handling the investigation. Anyone with information should call the department’s investigative division at 925-809-7911 or Detective Eric Huesman at 925-809-7735.

Check back for updates.

Staff writer Nate Gartrell contributed to this report. Contact George Kelly at 408-859-5180.

Elderly Homeowner Shoots Teen Trying To Escape Police

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/05/12...escape-police/

MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A father is in custody and his teenage son is recovering from a gunshot wound after confronting a homeowner while trying to escape from police.

It happened near the St. Michael’s church on West Flagler and S.W. 29th Avenue late Friday afternoon. The incident began as Miami Police stopped a car driven by Vladimir Almaguer Sanchez, 45, believed to be stolen out of Hialeah. Inside, officers found drug paraphernalia, including several meth pipes. However, as they were taking Sanchez into custody, his 16-year-old son, in the passenger seat, hopped out of the car and took off in the surrounding neighborhood.

The teen allegedly stole the car to pick his father up from jail, the arrest report noted.

Two police perimeters were set up in the area. Investigators said the teen took some clothes out of a home’s washing machine to change his appearance.

Many residents had no idea what was happening.

“I have a newborn,” said Conny Quitialla. “Our first instinct was to lock ourselves down and keep low, in case any shooting happened.”

The teen suspect was eventually located after police got a call that he had been shot by a homeowner.

“We heard the gunshots, we came outside, the guy was running across the roof,” said witness Rene Hernandez. “And then the gentleman was saying, ‘He’s here, he’s here.’ And that’s pretty much it after I lost sight of him, after he crossed the street.”

According to detectives, the 82-year-old man was startled by the sound of noise coming from his basement, where he was confronted by the suspect and pushed. Armed, the homeowner fired a single shot, wounding the young man in the buttocks.

“Shots were fired within the home,” said Miami Police spokeswoman Kenia Fallat. “We know, from the homeowner, that he was forced to fire after he confronted a man inside the basement of his house.”

The suspect was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

A third person, believed to be the teen’s friend, was also apprehended.

Sanchez and his son are facing a number of charges, including grand theft and drug possession.

Roadside BBQ stand owner "heartbroken" after shooting a man, but says he had no choice

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/re...in-zephyrhills

, Fla. - Update: | Dec. 16.--The owner of Jordan's BBQ says he is heartbroken for the man who lost his life yesterday but that he had no choice but to protect his family.

“Pretty much everybody knows me in this community, I’ve been out here going on eleven years, and I won’t harm a fly,” he said.

But Jordan says he had no choice but to act on Thursday.

He says around 3:30 p.m. a Hispanic man approached his barbecue stand off Eliand Drive and asked for money.

Surveillance footage captures last days of boy fed to pigs
    Jordan says he didn’t have any to give. But he did counter that offer with an opportunity for the man to earn it.

“Jordan asked him what I got for him to do, I said nothing at this point, but he can come tomorrow, unload the wood and unload the truck. It was something simple for him to do and he could continue to work with us,” Jordan's brother Mario said.

Sadly the man wasn’t looking for work; he was looking for an easy pay day and demanded all the money they had.

“He told me he wanted it all, so when he said he wanted it all, my son Malik was standing behind him and said daddy, he got something chrome in his pocket,” Jordan said.

He says he didn’t know what it was but assumed it was a gun.

“He’s not going to try four big guys with a knife, so he got to have a gun, that’s the first thing that went through my mind,” he said.

Jordan says he feared for his families life when he pulled out his own gun and fired.

“I looked at my brother and I was like man, it was him or us,” Jordan said.

They immediately called 911. The man who has not been identified died a short time later at a local hospital. Investigators later discovered an 8 inch metal spike in the mans pocket.

Jordan and his brother Mario say their hearts go out to the mans family for a tragedy they wish would have never happened.

“We’re gonna try to reach out to whoever his family is once they find out his name, whoever he is, and if we can help them with Christmas, we’ll do that,” Mario said.

At this point investigators are calling this an attempted robbery and have said Jordan acted in self defense.

Original Story: The owner of a popular Pasco County BBQ stand, Jordan’s BBQ, shot and killed a would be robber after Sheriff Chris Nocco says he tried to rob them.

This all happened at the BBQ stand located in a grassy area off of Hilton Road and Eliand Blvd in Zephyrhills.

Pasco County Sheriff said an unknown man walked up to the BBQ stand around 3:40 p.m. Thursday asking for money. The owner’s son told the man to come back tomorrow and he would get him a job to make some money.

“The conversation turned aggressive,” Pasco Sheriff Chris Nocco said. “He makes a statement give me the F-ing money, he uses that word, and then he says ‘I want it all.’”

Nocco said the owner of Jordan’s BBQ feared for his life and “did what he had to do.”

“On the male there was about a six to eight inch spike that was in his person so he did have a weapon on him,” Nocco said. “The father then yells to his son who is the business owner, there is a weapon in his pocket, the business owner states he is scared very nervous he's in fear and he fears he's going to be robbed and at that point he takes out a .380 Taurus and shoots the unknown male one time.”

Investigators are now trying to pull fingerprints off of the man to try and identify him.

Deputies: Homeowner shot squatter in self-defense

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...28126202-story

SARASOTA (FOX 13) - The sound of gunshots pierced the silence along Constitution Boulevard in Sarasota Sunday afternoon, shattered the nerves of residents.

"I just can't imagine how scared and freaked out they must have been," neighbor Pam Zeck said. "There have been minor break-ins and things like that since I've lived here, but never anything like this."

Sarasota County deputies said a family came home from a weekend trip and found Glenn Oliver inside their home. Oliver allegedly threatened the family with a baseball bat, and that's when the homeowner pulled out a gun, shooting the intruder in self-defense.

"It was terrifying for this family. There's a small child there as well," said sheriff's office spokesperson Kaitlyn Perez

Deputies said Oliver broke in through a window and may have been living there for days.

"It's possible, since we had such a cold weekend, that he was looking for a warm place to stay. We talked to his family members. He wasn't always staying at home. He was traveling around," said Perez.

Deputies said Oliver had just been released from prison. He had served a 10-year sentence for robbery with a firearm and carjacking. He was out on probation from the Miami-Dade area.

"He is a felony offender. He has an extensive criminal history. Unfortunately he was at the wrong place at the wrong time," Perez offered.

Apparently for Oliver, he chose the wrong house and the wrong family to target.

"The homeowner was in the right in this situation," Perez continued. "He walked into his home, he felt threatened. He shot this defendant in self-defense. He had a duty to protect himself and his family."

Deputies said the homeowner does have a concealed weapons permit. They said he does not face any charges at this time.

A murder charge against a Birmingham man in the 2015 fatal shooting of his sister's boyfriend has been dismissed under the state's Stand Your Ground law.

Ronald Lee Austin Jr., now 23, was arrested two years ago in the slaying of Raphael Roman. The shooting happened near Gate City, where Roman, 29, was found on the ground with a gunshot wound to the chest and pronounced dead on the scene.

Police at the time said Roman had apparently gotten into an argument with his girlfriend earlier in the day, and Austin came to that location on his sister's behalf. The two men got into an argument, and Austin pulled a gun and shot Roman. Police said there were several witnesses who were there as the argument between the two men escalated, but said no one tried to intervene.

On Wednesday, Jefferson County Circuit Judge Laura Petro granted a motion to dismiss by Austin's lawyer, Roger Appell. Alabama in 2006 followed Florida and other states in adopting Stand Your Ground provisions to their self-defense laws, eliminating the duty to retreat from situations as long as the person defending themselves is not doing something unlawful.

Legislators also later added a provision that says a person who is justified using force, including deadly physical force, "is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the force was determined to be unlawful." And the legislature also added that a pretrial hearing is required to determine stand your ground in such cases.

"It was a tragedy that this happened. Ronald was devastated,'' Appell told AL.com shortly after the dismissal. Austin has been out on bond since his arrest. "Rafael was his friend, but he had no choice under the circumstances but to act in self-defense. We are gratified that Judge Petro took the action she did in dismissing the charge of murder."

The judge, in her ruling, chronicled the facts of the case: Roman, and most all of the lay witnesses, including Austin, had known each other for a long time. Those who knew Roman testified that he had served time in prison for a violent offense - attempted murder - and therefore had a violent reputation in his community, especially when he was drinking.

On the day of the killing, the judge noted, at least five people testified that Roman had been drinking heavily, and a doctor reported that his blood alcohol content at the time of his death was .19 (more than twice the legal limit for driving) and likely had been higher shortly before his death. One witness testified that, "Roman became very aggressive when he drank and would become angry and mean, even toward friends,'' Petro wrote, adding that friend said when he wasn't drinking, Roman was a different person and was docile.

Austin testified that he had known Roman for years and considered him like a brother. On that day, an argument broke out between Roman and Austin's sister, Latoria Irby, over a credit card that Roman thought was missing. After his death, the judge noted, the credit card was found in the trunk of the car they had all been in together.

Austin and those in the car with him left Gate City, and Irby yelled, ''We'll be back." The context of that statement was unclear, Petro wrote. Roman remained on the porch drinking with another man and testimony showed Roman by then had been drinking from 8 a.m. until 2:30 p.m., at which time the shooting happened. The man drinking with Austin said he was so drunk, he couldn't be sure what happened.

Austin and his sister returned to Gate City, and Austin fell asleep while his sister went to find Roman. He awoke to his sister and Roman loudly arguing. Austin yelled to Roman and Irby that they needed to stop arguing, and Roman then rushed toward him in an aggressive manner. The judged noted that Austin is 5-feet, 7-inches tall and weighs about 140 pounds. The victim was 6-feet, 2-inches tall and weighed about 230 pounds. "They tussled with each other,'' Petro wrote. "The defendant had a gun in his waist band under a shirt. The defendant pulled the gun and fired a warning shot into the ground."

Next, both Austin and Roman stepped back. "The victim charged him trying to get the gun,'' Petro wrote. "He knew the victim did not have a gun but stated he feared Roman would get the gun and shoot him. He fired the gun striking Roman in his chest."

Austin was employed as a security guard at Buffalo Rock Bottling Company and had a license to carry the gun.

"This Court finds that is it not unreasonable or beyond the pale for the defendant in the face of a much larger, drunk and aggressive man with a known proclivity to violence to feel that had to use deadly force to protect himself or others,'' Petro wrote. "The court believes the defendant was carrying a gun that he had every right to possess and only brought it out to protect his family and himself. As tragic as the outcome was, this Court finds, from the evidence, that the defendant acted reasonable under the circumstance, was somewhere he had a right to be, was free from fault and was responding to the aggressive, perhaps life-threatening, behavior of the victim."

(Warren County)

Judge Laura Petro got the law part right, even though she called the attacker the "victim".
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Police: Adventure Islands' parking lot shooting between Uber driver and passenger

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/shoot...arge/452001475

TAMPA -- The Tampa Police Department responded to a shooting that happened in the Adventure Islands' theme park parking lot Sunday.

According to Tampa Police, an Uber driver arrived to pick up two potential riders when there was an argument over not riding due to wet clothing on one passenger.

The verbal argument turned into a physical confrontation, which led to the Uber driver reaching for his gun, which he claimed he used in self-defense. In the struggle, a shot was fired, but there were no reported injuries.

There have been no charges applied to the case at this time.

Stay with 10News for further details.

Page 17 of 339 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast