Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 163 of 339 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173213263 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/news...607e4be14.html

Off-duty Salamanca cop shoots loose pit bull in her yard
    Sheriff’s office says dog attacked, shooting was justified

LITTLE VALLEY — An off-duty Salamanca police officer shot and killed a loose dog on her property last week, a move criticized by some community members but staunchly defended by law enforcement officials.

Kristin Lasseter, a 14-year veteran of the Salamanca Police Department, fired a single round from a pistol after the pit bull got into the yard of her Little Valley residence and attacked her Doberman pinscher on the Fourth of July, according to the Cattaraugus County Sheriff’s Office, which has jurisdiction in Little Valley and responded to the scene.

Capt. Shawn Gregory of the sheriff’s office said Monday deputies determined Lasseter was justified in her actions and no charges will be filed against her. Salamanca police, who conduct an internal investigation anytime an officer has contact with another agency while off duty, has also concluded Lasseter was justified, said Salamanca Police Chief Troy Westfall.

Still, Westfall said his department has received numerous phone calls and in-person visits from community members with complaints against Lasseter’s actions, in addition to what he described as intense social media backlash that has included threats to Lasseter, her property and her animals.

“I’m very saddened by the reaction to somebody protecting themselves,” said Westfall, adding he stands behind Lasseter “100 percent.” He said Salamanca police and the sheriff’s office will “work cooperatively to address” the alleged threats made against her.

When reached by phone Monday night, Lasseter declined to comment until she had spoken with an attorney. However, she made a public Facebook post Friday that defended her actions. It included a photo and video that appeared to be her Doberman pinscher with a large cut on the left shoulder that had been stitched up.

“I protected my dog and dispatched the attacking dog before it killed mine. Those are the facts,” Lasseter wrote. “Anyone that knows me knows I have rescued animals and I am a huge animal lover. I would never put an animal down if it wasn't necessary.”

Gregory said he was unsure whether Lasseter used a privately owned pistol or a service weapon, noting the report simply states she fired “from her own pistol.”

He said the Olean Times Herald would have to submit a Freedom of Information Law request to receive a copy of the incident report. The sheriff’s office did not respond to the Times Herald’s FOIL request by press time Monday.

According to Gregory, the incident at Lasseter’s Rock City Street residence was reported at 3:43 p.m. Wednesday. Lasseter told responding deputies she was attempting to get her tied-up Doberman pinscher into the garage and away from the pit bull when the pit bull “ripped her dog right out of her hands,” he added.

The pit bull, which escaped from a nearby residence, had reportedly attacked Lasseter’s dog and chased her horse on prior occasions.

Gregory said Lasseter was justified in shooting the pit bull under New York state agricultural and markets law, which states an owner of a domestic animal attacked by a dog may lawfully “destroy such dog, and no liability in damages or otherwise shall be incurred on account of such destruction.”

“If dog is just running loose and it’s not going after someone’s domestic animal and they just shoot it because it’s loose or on their property, then you’re talking about an animal cruelty case,” Gregory said.

Westfall said some community members have falsely claimed to be witnesses to the shooting and provided police with “hearsay,” including one allegation that Lasseter’s Doberman pinscher wasn’t even outside during the incident and that Lasseter “staged” the attack.

One Little Valley resident emailed the Times Herald this week that the pit bull “was no threat.”

“Well that’s really strange because I have pictures of bite marks,” Westfall said. “You can’t stage that. I know her dog is hurting pretty badly.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...c803788dd.html

Broken Arrow homeowner reportedly shoots burglary suspect in leg

A burglary suspect was hospitalized early Tuesday after a Broken Arrow homeowner reportedly shot him in the leg.

Officers were called shortly after 4 a.m. to a home in the 2000 block of West Pittsburg Place. A caller in the residence told police that a man had forced his way into the home and that shots were fired.

When officers arrived, they encountered three people walking from the home into the front yard, at which point they were detained. Police did not state their role in the encounter.

Officers eventually entered the home, where they found the homeowner in a back bedroom with the suspect, who was on the floor "bleeding profusely" from a single gunshot to the leg, according to a police report.

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/S...487827941.html

Sheriff's Office: Resident shoots man trying to steal truck
    StaffTue 4:44 PM, Jul 10, 2018

JANESVILLE, Calif. (KOLO) - The Lassen County Sheriff's Office is investigating a killing in Janesville.

About 7PM July 9, 2018, the California Highway Patrol in Susanville started receiving reports of a reckless driver in a truck, headed north on US Highway 395 in the area of the Honey Lake Rest Area. A CHP officer tracked the truck and starting chasing at speeds up to 105 miles per hour. The driver of the truck then lost control at the intersection of Ponderosa Boulevard and Hicks Road, hitting another car. The driver of the truck ran off.

Shortly after, officers were called to a home southwest of the crash, where they found a truck with a body in it. Based on the evidence collected at the scene and witness statements, Lassen County Sheriff's Office offers this timeline of what happened:

After the crash, the suspect ran from the area through trees, bushes, and tall grass. He reached a home on Hicks Road, where he armed himself with a beer bottle and entered the attached garage of the home through an open roll-up garage door. He then entered the living space of the house through a door from the garage, and confronted the residents. He held the beer bottle over his head and threatened to kill the family if they did not turn over their car keys.

A woman who lives there got a set of keys and a handgun from another room. giving the keys to the suspect, and the handgun to the man who lives in the home. The male resident told the suspect to stop and put his hands up, but the suspect instead ran through the garage door, followed by the resident, who saw the suspect get in the resident's truck and try to steal it. The suspect accelerated and drove toward the resident, who shot one round at the suspect, killing him.

The suspect's name has not yet been released.

Detectives from the Sheriff’s Office were called to lead the death investigation, while CHP is investigating the crash. The case will be forwarded to the Lassen County District Attorney once the Sheriff's Office investigation is over.

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo...elieved_t.html

Resident shoots man believed to be breaking into home
    By John Tunison jtunison@mlive.comUpdated 10:12 PM; Posted 10:12 PM

KALAMAZOO, MI -- A man police think was breaking into a house was shot by the resident and critically injured, police said.

The shooting happened about 7:50 p.m. Tuesday, July 10 in the 200 block of Richard Avenue.

Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety officers responded to the area on multiple reports that a person had been shot.

Police arrived to find a 46-year-old Kalamazoo man with a gunshot wound to the torso. He was taken to a hospital and was last known to be in critical condition.

Police say an initial investigation "indicates the gunshot victim was breaking into a home when the occupant shot him."

The shooter approached officers at the scene and is cooperating with police.

Unfortunately you need a subscription for this article so I can only post the blurb. Sounds like a good story.

https://www.annistonstar.com/news/ca...db5bc863e.html

Calhoun County youth held alleged teen criminal at gunpoint

Patrick Denson, a 17 year old who held two crime suspects at gunpoint last week when they crossed his path last week running from sheriff's deputies.

On the Fourth of July, Patrick Denson nearly saw a different kind of fireworks.

Seventeen-year-old Denson held a theft suspect — also a juvenile — at gunpoint on his grandparents’ property just north of Choccolocco Road last Wednesday while police arrived to arrest him.

Need a subscription to see the rest of the story.

http://www.kcci.com/article/police-s...spect/22115092

Police: Store owner fatally shoots burglary suspect

DES MOINES, Iowa —
    Des Moines police said a store owner fatally shot a suspected burglar Wednesday morning.

Police were called to Kraft 5 Star Muffler at 1400 Army Post Road at around 7:30 a.m.

Des Moines Police Sgt. Paul Parizek said the store owner discovered the burglary in progress when he arrived at the store, finding a pickup truck loaded with his merchandise. There front door of the business was also broken in.

There was a confrontation between the store owner and the suspect, and the store owner fatally shot the burglary suspect, according to police.

According to police, no one has been charged in the incident.

Parizek says it looks like a "stand your ground" case, but a decision on any charges will come from the Polk County attorney's office.

The Iowa law says people don't have to retreat before using deadly force if they think their lives are being threatened.

The store owner was taken to a hospital for an unrelated medical issue.

The identity of the suspected burglar has not been released. The pickup truck used in the burglary is listed as stolen from Minnesota.

Southwest 14th Street will be closed for an hour at the intersection as detectives work the scene.

An interview with the waitress who shot a violent customer. She says the gun may have saved her life.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/11/wo...un-saved-life/

Woman Who Was Attacked At Restaurant Says Owning A Gun May Have Saved Her Life
    2:38 PM 07/11/2018
    Restaurant worker Miranda Schaeffer, who defended her co-worker with a legally owned firearm, appeared on “Fox & Friends” Wednesday and said her gun may have been the deciding factor in saving their lives.

Schaeffer’s coworker Veronica Kaehler was attacked behind the counter at a George Webb in Milwaukee by an unknown assailant Friday, but he backed off once he saw Schaeffer holding a pistol in his face. (RELATED: Restaurant Worker Pull Out Gun To Defend Her Co-Worker)

“He didn’t look like he was playing any games with anybody. He wanted his money,” Schaeffer said. “But he didn’t want to wait. Like literally maybe a minute. And as soon as [Kaehler] said you can’t come back here, that’s when he punched her. And I said ‘no, we’re not going to have no more of this.’ So I pulled out the firearm and that’s when I said ‘you’ve got to go.'”

Schaeffer said the assailant would have kept assaulting her and her coworker, had she not pulled out her gun and told him to move along.

“He would have most definitely kept on coming,” Schaeffer said. “He would have kept on hitting. He would have tried to fight both of us. The punch was originally for me because I told him no about the refund because I’m not allowed to you give the refund.”

“He didn’t want to wait. And since he didn’t want to wait that’s when he punched her,” she continued. “He was going to keep on going and keep on going. It was going to be bad. That punch itself was terrible.”

Kaehler said she encouraged Schaeffer to bring her gun into work due to the lack of security and several violent incidents that had occurred prior to the assault.

The suspect is still at large, but is known to police as a “drug dealer who’s been abusive towards other,” according to TMJ4.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/07/vi...-attacker-gun/

VIDEO: Restaurant Employee Uses Gun To Drive Away Coworker’s Attacker
    4:42 PM 07/07/2018
    Milwaukee police released a video on Friday in hopes of finding a suspect who attacked a female restaurant worker behind the counter, but was driven away by an armed coworker.

The surveillance video, obtained by Milwaukee Alderman Bob Donovan, shows the suspect coming behind the counter and violently punching a female waitress. The coworker then quickly draws a weapon and drives him away before he could do further harm. (RELATED: Three Would-Be Grocery Store Robbers Picked On The Wrong Couple, Get Bullet Holes For Their Trouble)

WATCH:

“It is sickening to see this unsuspecting worker assaulted so brutally by this individual,” Donovan said in a Friday press release, according to ABC.

The man is reportedly known to police as a “drug-dealer who’s been abusive toward others,” according to TMJ4, and was reportedly upset about some aspect of the service he had received.

The worker reportedly had a concealed weapon permit and the restaurant allowed her to carry, but she quit the job after last week’s incident, according to Donovan. (RELATED: Assailant Tried To Rape His Friend’s Mother — Then She Found Her Pistol)

“It’s so frustrating to me as an elected official that the other waitress felt it so important that she arm herself to come and work in my aldermanic district,” said Donovan. “Yet, I thank God she was armed. Otherwise, I shudder to think what may have happened to those two women.”

“One can only imagine what might have occurred if that employee had not pulled out her weapon,” said Donovan. “Sadly, I’m told the coworker quit her job shortly after the incident.”

The alderman expressed his frustration with crime happening in his district and “too many” other Milwaukee neighborhoods. (RELATED: Felon Pulls Out Weapon To Threaten Two People, Gets Shot By Concealed Carry Holder)

“This is just sickening and I am tired of this crap happening in my district and in too many other neighborhoods across Milwaukee,” he said.

“We were alerted to an incident that took place at our Mitchell Street location on June 29 and are working directly with the injured employee, store manager and franchise owner to review the events. The safety and security of our employees and patrons is our top priority. We are working with our team, and local law enforcement to assess current security measures and determine next steps,” George Webb restaurant said in a Friday statement.

The victim, a mother of three, told TMJ4 that she was taken to the hospital and treated for a concussion.

https://wgntv.com/2018/07/11/burglar...-in-gage-park/

Burglar shot to death in Gage Park, police say
    Posted 7:51 AM, July 11, 2018, by WGN Web Desk, Updated at 08:41AM, July 11, 2018

CHICAGO — A man was shot and killed while trying to break into a home in the Gage Park neighborhood, Chicago police said.

It happened Tuesday evening near 57th Street and South California Avenue.

A witness told police he saw the man trying to break in. The witness then saw the man running across the home’s backyard.

Minutes later, officers found a man matching the witness’s description dead with a bullet through his neck.

His identity has not yet been released.

Detectives are investigating.

Here’s the whole story for this one from earlier.

http://abc3340.com/news/local/calhou...ct-at-gunpoint
    Calhoun County teenager credited with holding burglary suspect at gunpoint
    ANNISTON, Ala. (WBMA) —
    A teenage boy armed with a pistol was credited for helping capture one of six suspects authorities say were involved in a string of break-ins last week across Calhoun County.

Patrick Denson told ABC 33/40 News he wasn't sure what he'd find when he walked behind his grandparent's house on July 4th. He went to check the home after he heard about the manhunt nearby,

"I heard some sheriff's yelling in the woods and so I stood up on top one of the air conditioners and one of the suspects came running around the corner and I held the gun up on him and told him to freeze and I held him there until the police arrived and arrested him....he kept saying he didn't do anything wrong."

The teenager Denson helped capture near Camp Lee was one of six juveniles from Georgia involved in a string of break-in's and car burglaries between July 3rd-4th said Calhoun County Sheriff Matthew Wade. The sheriff said each one faces charges related to more than 72 reported break-in attempts in the City of Anniston and Calhoun County.

"That was their job. Go out and commit as much crime as possible."

Stolen guns were recovered from the suspects' getaway car according to the sheriff. A girl in the group had been indicted on at least 20 felony charges in her home state Wade said. Authorities were not able to release the names of the suspects because they will be charged as juveniles.

"Just because they're young doesn't mean they weren't dangerous," said the sheriff.

Denson said he was not sure he would have confronted the suspect had he known of the group's alleged criminal past. "They didn't believe it at first," said Denson of when he told his parent's what happened. "But I told them the Sheriff was there and everything. They were startled, making sure I was okay."

Wade said Denson will have a job waiting for him at the sheriff's office if he ever needs it.

"I gave him a coin. I wish I could have given him more..we're very thankful he did what he did. We're very proud of him."

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Unfortunately you need a subscription for this article so I can only post the blurb. Sounds like a good story.

https://www.annistonstar.com/news/ca...db5bc863e.html

Calhoun County youth held alleged teen criminal at gunpoint

Patrick Denson, a 17 year old who held two crime suspects at gunpoint last week when they crossed his path last week running from sheriff's deputies.

On the Fourth of July, Patrick Denson nearly saw a different kind of fireworks.

Seventeen-year-old Denson held a theft suspect — also a juvenile — at gunpoint on his grandparents’ property just north of Choccolocco Road last Wednesday while police arrived to arrest him.

Need a subscription to see the rest of the story.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/article/...NEWS/180719987

2 shot, 2 charged in Hyde Park home invasion
    By Freeman staffUpdated: 6 hrs ago

HYDE PARK, N.Y. >> A Willow Cross Road resident was shot in the shoulder after shooting an intruder with a shotgun during a home invasion and attempted robbery, police said Tuesday.

The two suspects in the home invasion — Montarius J. Washington, 31, of Hyde Park, and Cali A. Hamilton, 21, of Poughkeepsie — were charged with the felonies of attempted robbery and criminal possession of a weapon, according to the Hyde Park Police department.

About 2:10 a.m. Sunday, police responded to a 911 call reporting a female had been shot. The investigation found Collin W. Vogg, 27, was at his residence on Willow Cross Road when Washington and Hamilton entered, displayed a handgun and demanded money and drugs, police said.

After retrieving a “hidden shotgun,” Vogg pointed it at Washington, “informing him that he was not giving him anything,” police said.

Hamilton then shot Vogg in the shoulder, and he returned fire, striking her in the arm, police said. After being shot, Hamilton fled and called 911 from a neighboring yard, police said.

Washington remained inside the house and locked himself in a bathroom, but Vogg let him to leave before officers arrived, police said.

When Hyde Park police, state police and Dutchess County sheriff’s deputies arrived, Vogg’s residence was “searched and secured” and Vogg was taken to the Vassar Brothers Medical Center in Poughkeepsie, where he was treated and released.

Hamilton was taken to the MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie and then transferred to the Westchester Medical Center with an injury that was not life-threatening, police said.

Washington was arrested about three hours later by state troopers when they saw him walking along a road about 2 miles from the scene, police said. He was arraigned in Hyde Park Town Court and sent to the Dutchess County Jail in lieu of $150,000 bail.

Hamilton was arraigned at Westchester Medical Center, and her bail was set at $150,000.

Page 163 of 339 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173213263 ... LastLast