Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 128 of 339 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

6 today

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Ar...481122951.html

Woman tells intruder, ‘If you take one more step I'll kill you’
    John CarrollMon 3:20 PM, Apr 30, 2018
    LIMESTONE COUNTY, Texas (KWTX) -- Laura Williams said she grabbed her pistol and held an intruder at bay while her teenage daughter called 911. She said the man kicked in the front door of her home and charged her with a shovel.

Laura Williams demonstrating how she confronted the intruder. Deputies later arrested Allen Tompkins (inset). (Photo by John Carroll/Jail photo)

“I aimed it at him and said, 'If you take one more step I'll kill you,” she said.

The man ran, but deputies later arrested him.

Allen Tompkins, 47, was charged with burglary of a habitation, but additional charges are possible.

He’s held in the Limestone County, Texas jail in lieu of $20,000 bond.

The incident happened Tuesday and Williams’ daughter, Hannah, 17, hasn’t been quite the same since.

"I felt really scared and my adrenaline was pumping so I don't really remember a lot of it, but I'm not sleeping well at all," she said.

It started when Williams woke up to a ringing doorbell.

"I went to the door and just kind of opened it and there was an older man standing at my front door with a shovel and he asked for a lady's name and I said, ‘There's no one here by that name. I'm sorry. You're at the wrong house. She doesn't live here.’” Williams said.

The man left, but Williams said she felt uncomfortable.

She looked out through the blinds of her bedroom window to see if he had left.

She recalled, "I looked out and he was standing at the opening of the woods with a shovel still in his hand and he kept looking back and looking, I said, ‘No this is not going to go down like this.’"

Williams ran to the other side of her house where Hannah was asleep.

“I woke her up and I said, ‘Go to my bedroom, get the dogs and let's go,’ because that's where we keep our guns in our house," Williams explained.

"No sooner did we get to the bedroom and shut the door, he was kicking in the front door and hitting it with the shovel,” Williams said.

Williams got her pistol out of the drawer of a bedside table and confronted the man in the living room while her daughter called 911.

“I had time to grab the revolver and come out the door. So when he came in the shovel was up on his shoulder, he was headed straight towards us,” she said. "I aimed it at him and said, ‘If you take one more step I'll kill you.’"

She said the man stopped, mumbled some words and turned to leave. As he walked out the door he turned to back to Williams.

“He said, 'Well all y'all need to know is y'all need to leave me the F alone,' and I said ‘I don't even know you, get out of my house.‘" Williams said.

After the man left, she said she rushed back to the bedroom to look through the blinds again.

"I went back into my bedroom, I locked the door and I watched him go into the woods with a shovel still in his hands while we were still on the phone with 911," she said.

Deputies arrived 14 minutes later and flooded the area, she said. They found Tompkins in a nearby trailer park.

Williams, who once worked as a police officer, admitted the confrontation left her rattled.

"My husband said I'm having nightmares calling Hannah's name trying to make sure she's safe. As much as I hate to say I killed somebody, I wished I would have so that I could sleep at night knowing that he's not going to come back,” she said.

http://www.theindependent.com/news/s...b9d8e2c7c.html

Omaha man shoots and kills dog that had latched onto neighbor's hand
    By Kevin Cole / BH Media News ServiceApr 25, 2018
    An Omaha man said he had no choice Tuesday but to shoot a pit bull that was attacking his neighbor.

The incident occurred about 4:45 p.m. near 83rd and Manderson Streets, according to a police report. Patricia Garber, 59, told police that she was using a stick to get her son's 2-year-old pit bull, Crucifix, into the house when the dog latched onto her right hand and wouldn't let go.

A neighbor, Dave Kovar, 39, heard Garber yelling for help and tried to get the dog to let go of Garber. When it wouldn't, Kovar went into his house to retrieve a .22-caliber handgun and call 911.

When Kovar returned, according to a police report, Garber yelled for Kovar to "just shoot him." Kovar fired one round through a chain-link fence, striking the dog in the back of the head and killing it.

Garber was taken to the Nebraska Medical Center in serious condition. She was listed Wednesday in fair condition.

"It was just crazy," Kovar said in a phone interview Wednesday. "The dog snapped and wouldn't let go of her hand. It went on for about five minutes. There really wasn't anything else to do (but shoot the dog) because it was tearing her hand apart."

Police arrived to find paramedics bandaging Garber's right hand. Officers located the gun next to the dead dog with the magazine ejected. The gun was properly registered to Kovar.

The Nebraska Humane Society retrieved the dog's body for forensic testing.

https://www.wral.com/clerk-shoots-ma...tion/17512268/

Clerk shoots armed robber at Fayetteville gas station
    By Gilbert Baez, WRAL reporter, & Evan Matsumoto, WRAL.com editor
    Fayetteville, N.C.
    Posted April 26

— A Fayetteville convenience store clerk opened fire Wednesday night on two men who came into the store carrying a gun, police said.

The shooting occurred shortly before 10 p.m. at the Five Star BP gas station, at 2101 Cedar Creek Road, police said.

A woman who was staying at a nearby motel was leaving the convenience store and saw two masked men heading inside, so she called 911, according to the store owner, who identified himself only as "C.J."

Meanwhile, Bassam Albareti, 29, also saw on the store's security camera the two suspected robbers coming in and pulled out a gun, the owner said. Albareti fired several shots through the glass that enclosed the counter, hitting one man, the owner said.

The would-be robbers dropped their gun and fled. The owner said the gun wasn't loaded.

"One of the suspects actually went to a residence somewhere in the county and called 911, saying he had been shot," said Sgt. Shawn Strepay, spokesman for the Fayetteville Police Department. "Throughout the course of our investigation and the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office investigating that [911 call], we were able to tie everything together and determine that, even though he was calling 911 saying he had been shot, claiming he was a victim, he was actually the suspect in our case."

The caller, identified as David Glenn Perry, 19, of Stedman Cedar Creek Road, was being treated at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center. His mother, Sherry Sanders, said the bullet hit his liver, and he had to undergo surgery to repair the damage and may need a second operation.

The second suspect, identified as Noah Lee Rowsey, 19, of Bullock Court, was being held in the Cumberland County jail under a $50,000 bond.

Both men face charges of robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon.

Perry's mother, Sherry Sanders, said she was the one who called 911 for her son after Perry and Rowsey showed up at her house.

"Noah came running through the house to tell me that my son was hurt and needed me. I ran outside, and my son was in the back seat with a gunshot wound," Sanders said.

She said her son was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person.

"He's more upset that his friend is going to jail because of a robbery he committed last month," she said. "It's been bothering David, and I feel like David was with him to commit a crime to go to jail [as well]. That's all I heard my son say, and it's not right."

The store owner said he allows his employees to carry weapons to protective themselves, adding that they have permits for the weapons.

Police said Albareti won't be charged in the case.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...422-story.html

Man shoots, kills carjacking suspect near Millenia mall
    Jason Ruiter
    dfdf
    A man in his 20s is dead after a carjacking attempt at a New Texas Fried Chicken east of the Mall at Millenia in Orlando turned fatal early Sunday, an Orange County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman said.

Leon Anthony Ducally, 49, told deputies he shot Jan Demetri Goodman, 26, who was assaulting and carjacking him as he walked into the business at 2200 Americana Boulevard, spokeswoman Jane Watrel said.

Watrel said Ducally has a valid concealed-carry permit.

Deputies said they arrived at 12:01 a.m. to find Goodman on the ground, unresponsive and suffering from a gunshot wound.

After CPR failed to resuscitate him, Goodman was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead a short time later, Watrel said.

https://www.ktbs.com/news/caddo-gran...40b7dc360.html

Caddo grand jury: No charges in fatal shooting of car burglar
    Gary HinesApr 19, 2018
    The Caddo Parish grand jury said no criminal charges should be filed against a Shreveport businessman who fatally shot one of three teenagers he caught breaking into his car last fall. One of the three had a gun, police said.

Louisiana law allows residents to use force to protect themselves or their property. The amount of force must be "reasonable and necessary."

The grand jury did not elaborate on its decision not to indict businessman Marcus Jackson.

Jackson's attorney, Shante Wells, said his client was justified in his actions.

"What he did was what I would have done, or you would have done, or anyone who wanted to protect his life would have done. Thanks goodness he was ready, able and prepared to defend himself," Wells said. "It was obviously what the grand jury saw."

Wells said Jackson has nonetheless been shaken by what happened.

"Although Mr. Jackson was defending his life in that situation, it was very hard on him," Wells said. "No one wins in a situation like this."

The grand jury did not address the actions of Shreveport Police Chief Alan Crump, who had fired at one of the teens as he tried to evade police after the shooting. Crump's shot missed.

RELATED STORY: Gun or cell phone: What did police chief drop in foot pursuit?

The District Attorney's office earlier concluded Crump did not commit a crime. They said it was up to city officials to determine whether Crump violated Police Department policies by shooting at someone running from him. Mayor Ollie Tyler, who put Crump on leave after the incident, cleared him to return to work after the D.A.'s decision.

The killing of the car burglar last October occurred after three people broke into a vehicle outside a Hollywood Avenue business. Jackson confronted the three and opened fire, hitting Tacorey Banks of Shreveport in the head, police said.

Jackson told detectives he believed one of the teens was trying to shoot him and he fired in self defense, court records show. The teen who had a gun, Xavier Thomas, 17, of Parker Street, told police after his arrest that Jackson fired first, according to court records.

Thomas and another teen, Darrien Miles, 18, of Fulton Street, fled -- setting in motion a series of events that included Crump shooting at Miles.

In an interview with detectives about why he fired, Crump said he perceived the suspect as a threat. He had heard shots being fired seconds earlier, although it turned out those were fired by another police officer chasing Miles.

"I yelled to him to stop, and as I yelled to him to stop I had my weapon drawn and he slows and turns back... not fully toward me... but he slows and kind of looks back," Crump said. "And as he slows and begins to make that turn, I fired."

Video of the incident, from a camera in one of the police cars in the area, does not show Miles turning. It turned out Miles did not have a gun.

Miles has pleaded guilty to burglarizing the car and is awaiting sentencing. The case against Thomas is pending.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...209669069.html

He tried to buy an iPhone via Facebook. Now he’s glad he brought a gun to the deal
    By Matthew Martinez mmartinez@mcclatchy.comFort Worth

Roberto Rodriguez' new gun rests in the same spot as the one he used to thwart an attack on April 1, when he shot two teens he said tried to rob him. Roberto Rodriguez Courtesy
    Roberto Rodriguez, of Richardson, Texas, wanted an affordable iPhone for his 11-year-old daughter, so he turned to Facebook Marketplace.

He had no idea before the exchange was over, though, he’d have to shoot two people.

While Rodriguez was at an Easter party with his family on April 1, he thought he’d found the right deal —$175 for an iPhone 7 — so he and his wife Fernanda took their three kids to the east Fort Worth apartment complex the seller directed him toward.

“I was about to go alone,” Roberto told the Star-Telegram. “I should have gone alone.”

They arrived around 8 p.m. at the Asher Apartments, between Randol Mill Road and Interstate 30, where an 18-year-old named Otis Lenoie was waiting for him in the parking lot, Rodriguez said. When he got out of his SUV, Lenoie and three other men attacked him — punching, kicking and dragging him to the rear of his vehicle while Fernanda and the kids watched, horrified.

Roberto began to crawl back toward the car, where he kept “a cheap little Hi-Point .380” in the door, he said.

“I’m pretty sure their plan was to rob me completely,” Roberto said. “Like steal my SUV and my wallet. I had $1,800 in my wallet because earlier I wanted to buy a money order to pay rent but didn’t get a chance.”

One of the 5-7 shots Roberto Rodriguez fired during the attack on April 1 went through his car door, as his family sat inside the SUV.
    Roberto Rodriguez Courtesy
    He got hold of his gun and fired 5-7 rounds as he wrestled with his attackers, wounding two of them while another ran from the scene. He also shot a hole in the door of his car.

During the scrum Fernanda grabbed a 12-inch screwdriver from the vehicle and attacked one of them as well.

“My 11-year-old was screaming. She was shaking for hours after that,” Roberto said. “She thought we were going to die.”

A MedStar spokesman confirmed that two adult males with gunshot wounds were taken to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital after the shooting.

Lenoie was arrested in connection with the attack on April 11. He remained in jail Monday with bond set at $25,000, according to Officer Jimmy Pollozani, a Fort Worth Police Department spokesman.

Fort Worth police have issued three additional arrest warrants in the case. According to the police report, 19-year-old Kueston Howard also sustained a gunshot wound in the incident.

Both Rodriguez's gun and the screwdriver used by his wife were taken as evidence. Rodriguez told the Star-Telegram he bought another gun, and keeps it in the same spot as the one he used to thwart his attackers: right in the car door.

"I'm so thankful for the Second Amendment," Rodriguez said. "But people also need to watch out on these exchanges from Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. It's not always safe."

Many local police stations are designated safe exchange locations for people meeting to buy and sell such items.

Bond was denied Thursday, April 6, 2017, for Najiy "King" Williams, a Macon man charged with rape, trafficking of persons for labor or sexual servitude and misdemeanor marijuana possession. A Florida woman called police after she alleges she was g Amy Leigh WomackThe Telegraph

http://uptownmessenger.com/2018/04/w...et-police-say/

Woman beaten, robbed inside her vehicle on St. Mary Street, then shoots at attacker, police say
    Robert Morris

(map via NOPD)

A woman who got into her vehicle on St. Mary Street early Saturday morning was beaten and robbed by an attacker who was already inside, but she fired a shot at him after he took her bag, New Orleans police said.
    Shortly before 1:15 a.m. Saturday, April 28, a woman in her 20s got into her vehicle in the 1200 block of St. Mary Street (near Camp Street) and, as she sat down, she felt a gun to her head, according to the initial NOPD report.

“An unknown male subject then demanded the victim’s bag,” the report states. “When she questioned the subject, he struck her two times in the head with the gun. The victim would not let go of the bag, which had cash inside, and a struggle ensued.

“The subject pulled the victim to the ground and struck her three more times,” the report continues. “The subject fled with the bag. The victim yelled, pulled out her gun, and fired once at the subject. The subject then fled in an unknown direction.”

No further details, such as description of the assailant, were included in the report. Anyone with information is urged to call the NOPD Sixth District station at 658-6060 to speak to a detective, or CrimeStoppers at 822-1111 to leave an anonymous tip that could be eligible for a cash reward.

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/201805...ters-boyfriend

Police repsond to man pointing shotgun at daughter’s boyfriend
    Most Popular Our Picks
    At least five patrol units rushed to the scene of a report of a man threatening people with a shotgun on Hutchinson’s east side just after midnight Thursday, but police resolved the call without incident or arrests.

The incident occurred in the 1500 block of Marland, said Lt. Josh Radloff.

“It turned out, the guy who lived there had been in a physical disturbance with his daughter’s boyfriend earlier in the day,” Radloff said. “The daughter’s boyfriend showed up with other family members at midnight banging on the man’s door. When he answered the door, it was with a shotgun.”

“He was not making threats,” Radloff said, and when officers arrived, the man was compliant with commands.

“We got it figured out, and no one wanted to pursue any charges,” Radloff said.

http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/...-shot/4851067/

Homeowner shot burglar in the buttocks, police say

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- A northeast Albuquerque homeowner's boyfriend came face to face with a man police say burglarized her home Thursday morning. During all that, the suspect was shot in the buttocks.

Police say 57-year-old Michael Dunn was discovered in that home around 9 a.m. The woman's boyfriend said during that confrontation, Dunn pulled a knife on him and tried to attack him. The boyfriend fired, hitting Dunn.

From the looks of it from the outside, no one was home. The homeowner has been looking to clean and sell it. But when she and her boyfriend dropped in to check on it, they discovered someone was already there.

There was a scuffle. The homeowner's boyfriend said he had the suspect trapped between a locked security door and the front door. In an attempt to escape, police say Dunn pulled out the knife.

"The guy pulled a knife on him and took a swipe at his face that homeowner decided to defend himself," Albuquerque Police Department Public Information Officer Simon Drobik said.

Carmen Valdo, the next door neighbor, said the loud voices stopped when she heard an even louder sound.

"About 9 this morning and I heard a bang while I was getting ready, but I didn't think anything of it," she said.

The homeowner's boyfriend said after the attack with a knife, he took out his gun and attempted to fire a warning shot. That warning shot ended up piercing Dunn's buttocks.

"We don't advocate shooting anybody, of course," Drobik said. "But in this circumstance, he was defending himself."

Dunn was taken to the hospital for those injuries. Police did discover items stolen from that house in Dunn's vehicle.

The homeowner's boyfriend is not facing any charges. Dunn is charged with aggravated burglary and aggravated assault.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/04/03/a...led-homeowner/

Assault Suspect Shot, Killed By Homeowner

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A man who police said assaulted a man while trying to get inside his home Tuesday afternoon, was shot and killed by the homeowner.

Police said it happened in the 2600 block of Highland Road around 2:30 p.m.
    Police said the homeowner, 54 and other witnesses called 911 to report what happened.

Detectives interviewed the homeowner and released him pending a grand jury referral.

The man who was killed was 28. Police have not released identities in this case.

Page 128 of 339 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast