Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 103 of 339 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

5 today

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...oits-west-side

75-year-old deli owner shoots suspected robber on Detroit's west side
    DETROIT (WJBK)
    - A suspected robber tried to hold-up a Detroit deli but the owner fights back grabbing his gun to defend his store and his wife.

It happened at Teenie's Deli about 4 p.m. Thursday on Seven Mile, when 75-year-old Johnnie Christopher was working in the back of the diner and his wife at the front.

"You have to act, you can't react," said Christopher. "You have to act. Bop, just like that."

A 22-year-old black male runs in, saying he is being chased.

"He came in here and he was just standing here and all of sudden he jumps," Christopher said.

The man jumped over the counter and at that point, Christopher believed he was being robbed.

"Of course, I’m in the back," he said. "My wife is screaming and hollering. What would you do? That's all I can tell you."

Christopher grabbed his gun and fired several shots, hitting the man. The victim was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

"It happened so fast, I'm in the back, my wife is screaming," Christopher said. "I come out and there he is. There is nothing I can do but act. Do something, you can't just holler."

Christopher has been in business for 40 years and has been robbed before which led to his quick decision to start shooting.

"I've been robbed three times with a gun in my face and my being in business for 41 years, coming up in January," Christopher said. "And I've been, I guess, prone to it because it's happening and I'm aware of it every day."

Police are treating the case as self-defense with no charges of yet.

6 today.

http://www.12news.com/news/crime/sta...hter/505319001

Stalker breaks into family's Peoria home, father fires gun to protect daughter

Peoria police arrested a known stalker early on New Year's Day for breaking into his victim's home, shattering the back door with a gardening tool.

Adam Daniel Flower, 29, broke into the home near Westwing Parkway and Jomax Road of a family that had already filed a harassment injunction against him for previous incidents, according to police documents.

The teen girl's father heard the crash and went downstairs to confront Flower, telling him the teen was not home and he needed to leave. Police said Flower pushed past the father and continued up the stairs.

The girl heard the confrontation and climbed out her window onto the roof, police said.

The father got a gun from his safe and, after telling Flower to stop several times, fired it into the floor in the upstairs area of the house, according to documents.

Shortly thereafter, police arrived at the scene and arrested Flower, who faces charges of stalking, aggravated assault, failure to comply with a court order, burglary, assault and criminal damage.

I’m including this story because it mentions a case that was ruled self defense last month which is what I am looking for in this thread. I bolded the pertinent part.

https://luxoraleader.com/woman-kille...d-toll/382513/

Woman killed in New Year's Eve shooting adds to Indianapolis' record toll
    January 6, 2018 Staff Writer

appears to have climbed one death higher on New Year‘s Eve after a woman was shot and killed early Sunday on the northwest side.

The woman‘s body was found shortly before 5 a.m. at the Aspen Chase at Eagle Creek apartment complex in the 5300 block of Acorn Lane, near 56th Street and Moller Road.

Officials said the still unidentified victim was on the sidewalk and suffering from a gunshot wound. Medics pronounced her dead at the scene.

Police have not released any information about a possible suspect or motive. The shooting remains under investigation.

This shooting could mark the city‘s 154th criminal homicide of the year. Indianapolis broke , making 2017 the city‘s deadliest year on record and the third consecutive year of record-breaking violence in the city.

It is also the second homicide investigation of the weekend. , a man was found dead on a porch in the 1500 block of Goldenrod Drive.

Criminal homicides in Indianapolis have been on the rise every year since 2012, reaching new heights in 2015, with 144 criminal homicides recorded, and again in 2016 with 149. With 154 criminal homicides, 2017 would mark a third consecutive year of record highs.

Deaths that occurred earlier in the year can be reclassified after further investigation. Such was the case earlier this month when a killing was ruled an act of self-defense.

Data released earlier this year by the FBI showed a 7 percent increase in the number of violent crimes committed in Indianapolis last year, outpacing the rest of the state and country. Violent crime grew across the state by 4.6 percent and across the country by 4.1 percent, according to the data.

This story will be updated.

IndyStar reporters Holly V. Hays, Ryan Martin and Vic Ryckert contrivuted to this story. Call IndyStar reporter Justin L. Mack at or email him at justin.mack. Follow him on .

Possible self defense.

https://www.greeleytribune.com/news/...vehicle-theft/

1 man shot in attempted vehicle theft
    January 6, 2018
    Greeley police say a man is in the operating room after an attempted vehicle theft early Saturday morning.

About 5:30 a.m. Saturday, Greeley police responded to a report of a vehicle being stolen near 18th Avenue and 6th Street. As officers made their way to the area, several people were trying to stop the vehicle theft themselves, Greeley Police Sgt. Mike Heck said. During the prevention of the crime, somebody discharged a firearm, and one man was shot.

Police believe the man's injuries are not life-threatening. Heck said he could not give an estimate of how many people were involved in the incident Saturday morning.

"We don't think anybody should be alarmed," Heck said. "There's nobody out at-large that we're seeking at this point."

Greeley Police Det. Corey Green is the lead investigator in the incident. Police are working out whether self-defense played a role in the discharging of the firearm.

Police are still determining who is a suspect and who is a victim in this incident, according to Heck.

Hard to make out what really happened here, but shows why you need to be able to defend yourself one way or the other.

http://www.dailycommercial.com/news/...otout-in-astor

Prosecutors won’t charge man in September shootout in Astor

ASTOR – It began with two couples showing up at almost the same time at Grasshopper Lake in the forest, hoping to enjoy a swim on a hot day.

Within minutes the 911 call came in: “My wife and I were just attacked. My wife’s been shot.”

Immediately, another call came in: “I need an ambulance,” the woman said breathlessly. “He’s been shot. I think he’s dead.”

Michael Allen, 50, was indeed dead on Sept. 28, and the woman he shot, Denise Czajkowski, was wounded. Czajkowski’s husband, Aaron, shot Allen. They are facts.

The rest is a confusing, contradictory, chaotic story that resulted in a months-long investigation by the Lake Sheriff’s Office. Meanwhile, prosecutors have decided not to file any charges after deciding it is impossible to disprove self-defense.

Czajkowski, 43, told investigators he and Denise had been at the lake for only a few minutes when the Chevy pickup pulled up next to his Jeep. He turned to her and said, “Let’s wait a minute to see what this car does. We might have to leave.”

The reason he thought about leaving is that his pit bull is aggressive “to some people.”

He said he twice tried to tell Allen to wait until he could put his dog in his Jeep, but “he was running his mouth.”

“I don’t want to be around these people. We’ll go ... somewhere else,” he told Denise.

The argument almost immediately exploded into a fist fight.

“I ended up getting on top of the guy, getting him down in the water, step on him, get up and run, get my dog, get to my ... Jeep. He’s walking to his car, gets in, and as I open my driver’s door, I’m looking through my wife’s passenger door to his door. He’s getting a gun out and pointing it at my wife,” he said.

“So I reached in and grabbed my pistol and started yelling to draw attention away from my wife, and walking toward the rear of my vehicle,” he said. ”...I don’t know who fired first.”

“I gave him plenty of warning,” Czajkowski said. “Drop your gun, drop your gun. I don’t know if he knew I had a gun. And as I’m saying that shots are being fired. My wife was hit. She goes down. She was less than a foot away from him.”

Czajkowski said he thinks he threw his gun down in the Jeep. “I don’t remember. It will come to me.” He said he ran out into the lake to get his dog, who was now trying to swim away.

“As I run past him (Allen), thinking I don’t have to worry about him no more, to get my dog, I turn and look and she’s [Barnett] getting the gun out of his hand. I’m afraid I’m going to get shot in the back now. So, I apprehended her, put her down and get the gun out of her hand ... threw the gun out in the lake, went and got my dog, threw him in the Jeep and we left.”

Denise said she had just walked around to the passenger side of their vehicle and she heard her husband tell Allen he needed to put the dog in the Jeep. “The next thing I know I hear shooting....”

She was only two or three feet from Allen when she said she saw him “shoot at my husband, it looks like he shot at my dog, and the next thing I know I’m shot,” she said, crying. “I was shot and I was standing right in front of the door.”

Some of her memories are fleeting. She recalled trying to help her husband. “He had my husband face down in the water.”

She also thought her husband was trying to get the gun out of Allen’s hand, and that maybe that was when she was shot. “I don’t know....”

Allen’s girlfriend of three years, Chrystal Barnett, told a much different version.

Allen backed his pickup truck in next to the Jeep. “There was plenty of room.”

She said she was getting things out of the truck. “The woman said something ... they didn’t want us there. It was their spot. And Mike said this is a public area. We’re not going to go somewhere. There’s plenty of room for all of us.”

Soon, the two men began fighting.

She said Denise jumped in, and the couple began trying to push Allen’s head in the water. Barnett said she helped Allen get out of the water. Allen then ran to his truck.

“Are you OK? Let’s just go,” Barnett yelled to Allen. She said they were both getting into the truck “when that guy pulls his gun out.”

She said Mike then pulled his gun out and said, “Just let us go. I’ve got a gun, too.”

It was then that she heard shots fired.

“The guy shot first,” she said. She concedes she did not always have a clear view of the battle, and at one point said she was hiding behind the truck to avoid getting shot.

Czajkowski never told Allen to drop his weapon, Barnett said.

After Allen fell, she ran to him. His gun was beside him. “I wasn’t even thinking about the gun. I didn’t care about the gun until I saw him coming back at me. So, I grabbed it, and he grabbed it and told me to let go of it. ‘Just give me the gun.’ And then I just let go and I said, ‘Please, just go....’ I said something... ‘Please go on, you’ve already killed him, please just go.’”

Czajkowski put his wife and the dog into the Jeep and raced down State Road 19, calling 911, where he was met with a deputy and, later, a medevac helicopter.

Denise suffered a “through-and-through wound to her right arm,” according to reports, and a gunshot wound to her right breast.

Deputies, who retrieved both weapons, saw a battle site marked with chaos.

The right side of Allen’s body was in the water. He was dressed in a pair of boxer shorts and surrounded by clothing, sunglasses and shell casings. “Gunshot wounds are observed in the chest, sides, left shoulder, back, thighs and buttocks. A possible projectile fragment was recovered from the underwear,” the investigative report said.

“We just came here to swim,” Barnett reflected.

She said she wishes they had never come to the lake that day, a place they had visited often.

“From the time we got out of the car they were aggressive and did not want us there. His wife’s hurt and Mike’s gone over something so dumb.”

Police: Lawrenceville homeowner shoots intruders, 1 dead

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/loc...1ffa2fce0.html

Gwinnett police are investigating after a homeowner shot and killed an intruder inside his home early Monday morning in Lawrenceville.

Officers were originally dispatched to the home off Cainbridge Drive shortly before 3:00 a.m. in reference to gun shots being heard.

“When Officers arrived, they met with the male homeowner of 850 Cainbridge Drive,” said Gwinnett Police Cpl. Frederick Saldana. “The homeowner had been shot in the leg.”

He said officers acted quickly and applied a tourniquet to the homeowners’ leg.

The male told authorities that while sleeping he heard the back door crash in and he went to investigate the noise. The homeowner, who was armed, encountered three males. Saldana said gunfire was exchanged inside of the home and the three males fled the scene.

“Arriving officers located a deceased male who had been shot, a short distance from the residence,” Saldana said.

The name of the decedent was not released.

Police say the homeowner was taken to a local hospital. His status is unknown at this time.

The Homicide Investigation Unit and the Crime Scene Unit were called to the scene. After arriving at the home, detectives secured a search warrant, and the Crime Scene Unit began processing the scene.

No suspects have been identified and police are seeking tips in this case.

http://www.kake.com/story/37207036/p...r-wichita-home

Police: 18-year-old shoots, kills 2 men trying to enter Wichita home
    written by KAKE News
    Posted: Jan 06, 2018 4:11 PM EST Updated: Jan 08, 2018 11:34 AM EST

Update on double homicide in southwest Wichita

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -
    Police say an 18-year-old man shot and killed two people who were trying to force entry into his Wichita home.

Officers were called just before 3 p.m. Saturday to a shooting in the 1500 block of West Merton, near Harry and Seneca. Lt. Jeff Gilmore said officers arrived to find two men lying on the ground in front of the home and another exiting through the back door.

The two men on the ground had been shot several times and were pronounced dead at a local hospital. They were identified as 20-year-old Ky Jones Jr and 20-year-old Jeremy Burdine.

The man who lives at the home was arrested and booked on unrelated burglary charges.

Lt. Gilmore said the 18-year-old and another person were in the home when the two men went to the residence and attempted to force entry.

"The homeowner attempted to barricade the door to keep the individuals out. When the two males attempted to force entry into the home, the 8-year-old male retrieved a firearm and fired multiple shots through the door, striking both individuals.... Evidence does show us they were attempting to force entry into the home."

Gilmore said the have been ongoing problems between the homeowner and the two men he shot.

"We know that it was an altercation about some property that had been exchanged between the parties involved," Gilmore said, adding that officers had been to the home in the past.

The case will be presented to the Sedgwick County district attorney's office later in the week.

Saturday's deaths were Wichita's first and second homicides of 2018.

(Carbon County)

Mother of armed robber shot dead by man defending his children: ‘Why did he shoot him five times?’

After an armed man entered a Popeye’s restaurant in San Antonio last month and reportedly pointed a gun at a customer’s children, that customer — a licensed concealed carrier — shot the gunman dead.

But now the mother of the deceased 19-year-old gunman is asking why the father who fatally shot her son chose to fire more than once.

While Cynthia Ruiz acknowledged her son, Andrew Herrera, deserved to be punished and that the dad who shot him was defending his family, she shared a lingering question with KSAT-TV: “Why shoot him four more times? Why did he shoot him five times?”

Ruiz added to the station that she wants to see surveillance video, but police last week wouldn’t confirm to KSAT if a video exists.

What led to the fatal shooting?

During the Dec. 6 incident, the gunman demanded money from the dad inside the restaurant, KABB-TV reported — but the father said he wasn’t giving him anything, Police Sgt. Roy Miller told the Express-News.

The robber turned to the employees to try to rob them, and police told KSAT-TV in an earlier story the employees all ran out the back of the restaurant.

The dad asked the gunman if his family could leave, and when the robber agreed, the mom and two of their children exited the restaurant — but two of the family’s other children were still in the restroom, KABB-TV reported.

But when the robber saw the two children walk out of the restroom and pointed his gun at them, Dad fired his own gun and killed the robber, KABB reported.

What did police say after the fatal shooting?

“The citizen is a licensed carrier and did use his handgun to take down the robber,” Police Capt. Michael Starnes told the Express-News, adding that the father isn’t facing any charges.

“He really saved the day and protected a lot of people today,” Starnes told the paper.

What else is the mother of the dead gunman saying?

Ruiz said a second suspect — the alleged getaway driver told her that her son’s gun “wasn’t even loaded,” KSAT reported, adding that police wouldn’t confirm the claim.

age source: KSAT-TV video screenshot
    The gunman’s mother — who is also a widow — also told the station that her son had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder as a child and with schizophrenia in 2016.

Three weeks before the shooting Herrera stopped taking his medications, Ruiz told KSAT.

“What is life? Being on medicine all the time and I’m sleeping?” Ruiz recalled to the station her son asking her. “I’m missing life.”

Soon after Herrera, who didn’t have a job, started bringing home money, the station said — and police told KSAT they believe he was involved with other robberies.

“If you have money from whatever you’re doing, you can take that money and find a place to live,” Ruiz told the station she told her son.
    http://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/01...ampaign=buffer
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...108-story.html

Police: Concealed carry holder fatally shoots would-be robber in Austin home invasion
    Rosemary Sobol

A 58-year-old concealed carry holder fatally shot an armed man trying to rob him during a home invasion Monday evening on the West Side, Chicago police said.

It happened about 5:45 p.m. in the 5500 block of West Thomas Street in the city’s Austin neighborhood.

The 23-year-old brandished a gun and demanded the 58-year-old’s property. But the older man, a conceal carry holder, pulled his gun and fired it at the back of the robber’s head, police said.

The 23-year-old was taken to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park where he was pronounced dead, according to police.

Check back for details.

https://www.americanow.com/story/cri...ied-break-home

Tenant Shoots, Kills Man Who Tried To Break Into Home
    By Brendan KellyJanuary 9, 2018
    Crime

shotgun
    A tenant at a California apartment complex shot and killed a man who attempted to break into his home.

According to KFSN, Merced Police said that a man attempted to an apartment near a major intersection in Merced, when the tenant used a shotgun to defend himself against the intruder.

"It appears he was truly in fear for his life and was protecting his life in his own home," said Lt. Don King.

The suspect was later identified as Moana Logologo.

Logologo reportedly kicked in the tenant's door. The tenant armed himself with a shotgun and fired at the intruder.

The suspect was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died from the injury.

"He said he didn't know who this individual was," Lt. King said. "He was fearful and has been very cooperative with individuals involved in this case."

Police said that the suspect parked his car in the driveway of the home before breaking in.

"Detectives are following up on who the vehicle belongs to, trying to contact who his family was, some of the events that occurred leading up to the break-in, may help them determine why he chose this house," said Lt. King.

Police said that they do not believe the tenant will face any charges in connection with the shooting.

According to the Merced Sun-Star, Detective-Sgt. Curt Gorman said that Logologo appeared to have been drinking heavily prior to the incident and was looking for somebody in a nearby apartment, but entered the wrong residence. Gorman said that investigators are not sure of suspect's motives, but that it was "clearly" suspicious that he kicked in the door to the apartment.

Readers shared their thoughts on the story on the CBS47 Fresno Facebook page.

"I hope this homeowner is hailed a hero for protecting himself and his home," one reader commented. "Bad news is it happened in California where criminals have more rights than citizens. Good news it's Central Valley where good people still have rights."

"That's awesome!" Another user wrote. "The perfect ending for the life of some POS SOB who forced his way into someone's residence. I especially like the fact the victim used a shotgun. Nice way to guarantee a closed casket send off for the ahole crook."

"Good ... criminal intention like this should not have a limit on it's protection," another reader commented. "I'm shooting anything that invades my home with a criminal intent."

Page 103 of 339 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast