Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Bipod vs. grip-pod. Thoughts and opinions.

What are your thoughts and opinions on which one to mount onto a rifle?
    Loose discussion parameters; I would like to mount either one on an ak or ar15 carbine length. I shoot paper targets from a bench at public range, which is where I will use this set up. I am interested in learning the positive and negatives of both options, hopefully from people using either setup. Cheers.
    Who Dares Wins.

(York County)

Default Re: Bipod vs. grip-pod. Thoughts and opinions.

When I was building AR's, for me it came down to intended purpose of the weapon in question. If the rifle was going to pull double duty as both a paper punching range rifle and a carbine length defense arm, I would use the grip-pod. If however, it was being set up as a range only rifle, I would go with a true bipod. I found that a true pod offers steadier/ more solid support. The grip-pod is nice for occasional use, but I worry it would not stand up to the rigors of long term use.

(Lawrence County)

Vert grips make my transitions unstable.

No grip-pod for me.

Lycanhardtobrakewithvertgripthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Get off the bench and shoot from different positions. If your club wont allow this, find a new club. You wont have the leisure of a bench if you ever NEED that rifle.

I suppose if youre really set on one though, get a Harris and a stubby VFG. If on a budget, look at the Caldwell bi-pods. I've never seen a Grip pod that I liked, and most I've seen, seem like junk. JMO

(Centre County)

I have seen too many grip-pods break to trust them

(Cumberland County)

I used to have a Grip-Pod on my AR. I used the bi-pod for sighting in and precision shooting. But as I started shooting my AR more and more, I never shoot from the bench, rendering the Grip-pod basically useless.

I recently switched to a Magpul front grip. I would have kept the Grip-Pod on there but it's gigantic, bulky and with my grip, no very ergonomic. Now, when I sight in my AR, I just use the stands at the range or rest on the 30 round mag. I hardly ever do "precision" shooting anymore with my AR. I had aquired a bolt-action .308 for that.

So no more Grip-Pod for me. It works as it's meant to and does a good job, but I no longer have the need for it.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    Get off the bench and shoot from different positions. If your club wont allow this, find a new club. You wont have the leisure of a bench if you ever NEED that rifle.

I suppose if youre really set on one though, get a Harris and a stubby VFG. If on a budget, look at the Caldwell bi-pods. I've never seen a Grip pod that I liked, and most I've seen, seem like junk. JMO
    I have a Harris Bipod on my 18 inch WOA AR,it's being set up for longer range shooting.But I also have grip pods on two of my other AR's,and really like them.There are at least two different models the "law enforcement" version with polymer legs and the "military" version with polymer coated stainless legs which is what I have.One I bought used from a member here that used it over in the sandbox,a little beat up to look at ,but still completely functional.The other is basically new bought on ARF.com.I like them for their versatility as a grip and a bipod.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by fletchfletch View Post
    I have seen too many grip-pods break to trust them
    I was issued one way back when. It broke before we even hit the sandbox. The only good thing I've seen them used on were M249s when not being carried or used. It made for a good way to put the gun down without having to roll it on it's side.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.