Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: electric heat problems?

Its been awhile since I had Mitsubishi training but I believe they retain 90% of rated capacity at -13. Ill see if I can find the data.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I believe that was already discussed?
    No it hasn't the hyper heat system provides exceptional performance in cold weather. I suppose the other manufacturers may have caught up. I don't know. I won't install anything else.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Its been awhile since I had Mitsubishi training but I believe they retain 90% of rated capacity at -13. Ill see if I can find the data.
    I'm interested in this for a number of reasons but basically we're looking at a place that has two GREAT back-up fireplaces (one on gas, the other wood), but they have baseboards with oil heat - supposed to hold the heat longer.

Sadly, they have no AC, or ductwork, so I was thinking about the Mitsubishi - for AC no less!

The electric bill wouldn't be an issue if we could just put up a 5 or 10 KWH system in the lower field, but I'll bring this up in a separate thread.

Many thanks to all of you for sharing your personal skills and opinions with respect to the OP's query....

You guyz ROCK!
    - bamboomaster

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    I'm interested in this for a number of reasons but basically we're looking at a place that has two GREAT back-up fireplaces (one on gas, the other wood), but they have baseboards with oil heat - supposed to hold the heat longer.

Sadly, they have no AC, or ductwork, so I was thinking about the Mitsubishi - for AC no less!

The electric bill wouldn't be an issue if we could just put up a 5 or 10 KWH system in the lower field, but I'll bring this up in a separate thread.

Many thanks to all of you for sharing your personal skills and opinions with respect to the OP's query....

You guyz ROCK!
    coal boiler. heat your dhw and hydronic system on pennies :P
    keep it all PA, pa build, pa fuel, pa disposal.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Vaulted ceilings have always been a reason for high electric bills including,poor window insulation,drafts,even with ceramic electric heat our bills were close to whatyou state.New house we got I changed out all windows and additional blown in insulation with flat ceilings no more vaulted ceilings our house is 1,800 sq ft and our room temps thruout the house are a comfortable 72 degrees ! Andalso our bills on the budget plan do not excede $159 a month.The home also has 2 full bathrooms and 4 people occuppy our home.Hope tis helps you somewhat ! MDT

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    coal boiler. heat your dhw and hydronic system on pennies :P
    keep it all PA, pa build, pa fuel, pa disposal.
    Since Coal and gas produce sixty six percent of the nation's electricity, you are just cutting out the middleman.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Since Coal and gas produce sixty six percent of the nation's electricity, you are just cutting out the middleman.
    And losses from conversion from heat to electtic and back. Plus overhead and taxes and regulations.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    LOl.......And let me guess the real estate agent told you electricity is cheap in the Pocono's.

Well it is, or was, comparatively speaking, but that bill isn't bad for electric....but it hasn't been cold either
    Honestly I don't know how anyone, especially today with all the answers at your fingertips, can buy a house with electric heat and be clueless as to cost.

Houses in the Pocono's are rife with electric heat. Unless they were built when fuel oil was cheap.
    My first house was electric and I put in a pellet stove before my first winter. Used the electric only in the late spring and early fall.

I have to ask.

Where did you move from?
    Sorry, probably it's not actual, but what is the best decision right now? I think, smth gonna changed

Quote Originally Posted by IDNFranky View Post
    Sorry, probably it's not actual, but what is the best decision right now? I think, smth gonna changed
    Two years ago i had an electric bill in January that was $700 and February was $800. My house is about 1k square feet. I put in a pellet stove insert in my fireplace. I haven't had a bill over $150 since. Most are under $100. Pellets cost me about $100-$150/month when it's really cold. Electric heat is ridiculous.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Two years ago i had an electric bill in January that was $700 and February was $800. My house is about 1k square feet. I put in a pellet stove insert in my fireplace. I haven't had a bill over $150 since. Most are under $100. Pellets cost me about $100-$150/month when it's really cold. Electric heat is ridiculous.
    Same here, Our 'Flip' has a heat pump and our first winter's bills kept going higher and higher. this is our 4th winter with the Harmon pellet stove. Last Spring I spent $900.00 for 3 tons of pellets and we only use the heat pump for A/c and those could days before we light 'Bertha' and our budged plan is under $130.00 and I bet I could get it lower if I un-plugged the un-used electrical devices.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast