Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Best optic Mount for Pistol

So looking to get a new pistol in 9mm and thinking of the 17 or 34.
    Mostly a range toy but may be a Comp Pistol for PA Steel League matches. Is it better to have the optic mounted to the Slide as in the MOS Models or above it as with the ALG 6-Second Mnt?
    The MOS Upgrade adds about $70 to the cost and the ALG is $250 but which is better. https://algdefense.com/6-second-mount.html
    Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: Best optic Mount for Pistol

I only have experience with the mount on my FNX-45T. It's identical to the MOS in function. It's very nice for quick target acquisition but I suggest you try before you buy. A RDS on a pistol is not for everyone. I find it hard to be precise with them. Hella fun though.

But the above mount will give you more options like an aimpoint or other tubular RDS. Also, the sight will take less punishment. But most MRDS's are rated for your use. My Vortex Venom has been great.

No experience with the ALG or the likes.

I can see the advantage of having the optic mounted further forward on the pistol but IMO mounting on the slide is the better option. Can still use iron sights, more holster availability, more compact. Of course you can get mounts from several companies that mount an RMR Aimpoint, etc on a regular Glock but you lose the irons. I think getting a regular Glock slide machined for a specific red dot sight is nicer than the MOS setup from Glock because you can get away from spacers/adapters. But going the MOS route is cheaper.
    Last edited by dkf; January 25th, 2017 at 02:30 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I can see the advantage of having the optic mounted further forward on the pistol but IMO mounting on the slide is the better option. Can still use iron sights, more holster availability, more compact. Of course you can get mounts from several companies that mount an RMR Aimpoint, etc on a regular Glock but you lose the irons. I think getting a regular Glock slide machined for a specific red dot sight is nicer than the MOS setup from Glock because you can get away from spacers/adapters. But going the MOS route is cheaper.
    +1

I agree with everything dkf stated above.

if you plan on running different optics the MOS is a great option. If you already know what optic you wanna use, send out the slide and get it milled for that optic. I have one of my glock 19's milled for an RMR and couldnt be happier with it.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the responses. Lots of good info. Was not thinking about holstering but if use for Comp it would have a special holster anyway so that might not matter.
    What is the estimated Cost on having a slide milled to add an optic?

Thanks
    Steve

If you want to try a RMR sight before you invest and have your slide cut for a $150 plus or spent the money on a MOS Glock check this out. While it has some draw backs this style is cheap enough and easy to install on any Glock if you like RMR shooting then invest in the platform. If you end up looking to buy a new pistol with the RMR cuts I would highly suggest looking at the Sig 320rx which comes completely set up out of the box with the RMR for much less then setting up a Glock MOS.

(Lancaster County)

I had my slides done by Jagerwerks. I have slide cuts and everything else, but they do just optic cuts for the rmr, viper and the venom for $125. I highly recommend them.

http://jagerwerks.com/glock-1/

(Lawrence County)

Tracking the dot is a bit easier when it's not mounted to the slide. You can also use an optic with a larger lens. For serious competition, I'd always be looking at a C-More. There's a reason they dominate USPSA Open division.

Lycanbuyoncethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bedford County)

This is a spare parts optics project. I'll be 60 in a couple months and I have been leaning more towards lighted optics. I had always been used to iron sights but the eyeballs just aren't what they used to be. This is not a carry pistol since it would need to go in a backpack or God forbid a fanny pack. I was having trouble with the mount coming loose after several rounds so I put some blue locktite/permabond on the mounting screws and shot a box of ammo today and it stayed attached. It is quite the Frankingun but it is accurate and fun to shoot.
    DSCF2941_LI.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RogerLeo; April 7th, 2017 at 09:33 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I know its a bit late but I'm looking for the same thing for my Witness PS.
    This is what I came up with...
    Witness 1024.jpg
    I am 3D printing my own mount that will be lighter and give me better iron sight access.
    I have also replaced the red dot shown with a Burris Fastfire 3 3MOA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast