Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Car Registration / Concealed carry

I thought I had read this before but can not find it now anywhere. In order to be carry concealed legally, vehicle must be registered in your name, unless you are the passenger in the vehicle? Am I correct on this or am I wrong. Meaning I can not be driving another persons vehicle while carrying if I am alone, and the vehicle is not registered In my name.
    Last edited by Impulse1215; January 24th, 2017 at 12:49 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Car Regustration / Concealed carry

Impulse, your question doesn't make too much sense to me as worded. But to address concealed carry questions here are a few pointers. Also, if you own any firearms and especially if you chose to carry a firearm I highly recommend you read the entire Uniform Firearms Act.

In Pennsylvania, as a Pennsylvania resident you may only carry a firearm (this has a specific legal definition in PA) concealed on or about your person if you have a valid PA LTCF.

The LTCF permits you to transport a firearm on/in any vehicle.

The LTCF also permits you to transport a firearm to any legal location, instead of being limited to the 5-6 legally exempted locations if you do not have a permit.

Without a LTCF you may only open carry while on foot so long as not in a city of the first class (Philadelphia). You may not be on or in any vehicle, which includes bikes and horses (strangely enough) at any time while open carrying if you do not have a LTCF.

There are additional requirements to be aware of, so feel free to ask, but again a good place to start is reading the UFA.

(Indiana County)

Strongly recommend you check out the Uniform Firearms Act at the top of the page. You'll find nothing.

Vehicle ownership and registration has nothing to do with carrying a firearm in/on a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Impulse1215 View Post
    I thought I had read this before but can not find it now anywhere. In order to be carry concealed legally, vehicle must be registered in your name, unless you are the passenger in the vehicle? Am I correct on this or am I wrong. Meaning I can not be driving another persons vehicle while carrying if I am alone, and the vehicle is not registered In my name.
    Never heard of that law, sounds like a wives tale. If the question you're asking is,
    can I carry in a vehicle without a license? No, you need a license to carry in a vehicle.
    Doesn't matter whose vehicle it is.

(Montgomery County)

I have read the act. My question is coming from something I thought I read somewhere. To try to clear it up and word it better..... what I am asking is, let's say my friend asks me to drive his car to the mechanic, since this vehicle is not registered under my name, it is my understanding from what I read elsewhere. That I am not allowed to drive this vehicle (my friends) alone by myself. Due to the fact that this vehicle is not registered under my name. I am not the owner of the vehicle.

(Montgomery County)

The question is driving a vehicle with a ltcf, and a concealed firearm on you. But driving another persons car ( boss, family member, friends). While you are alone and the VEHICLE is not registered in your name.

(Delaware County)

The only time vehicle possession/registration is relevant in PA as it pertains to firearms is if a firearm owner with LTCF leaves a firearm in their vehicle and their non-LTCF spouse or child drives the car without them. The spouse or child is (should be) safe from prosecution in this case.

Otherwise, nada...

IANAL

(Mifflin County)

I have read the act. My question is coming from something I thought I read somewhere. To try to clear it up and word it better..... what I am asking is, let's say my friend asks me to drive his car to the mechanic, since this vehicle is not registered under my name, it is my understanding from what I read elsewhere. That I am not allowed to drive this vehicle (my friends) alone by myself. Due to the fact that this vehicle is not registered under my name. I am not the owner of the vehicle.
    If you don't have a license to carry a firearm, and your friend left his firearm in the vehicle, yes you could be in trouble for unlicensed carry. If there aren't any guns in the car...or if you have a license to carry, then I don't see what the issue would be.

I think the confusion might be coming from
    Quote Originally Posted by SS 6106 Firearms not to be carried without a license. (b)Exceptions.
    (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    which is an exemption from the need to have a license to carry.

(Montgomery County)

I read that but also had seen someone else write about this somewhere. It is confusing the way it is written. It does word it in a way that it almost seems as if, in order to carry concealed in a vehicle the vehicle must be registered under your name.

(Delaware County)

I read that but also had seen someone else write about this somewhere. It is confusing the way it is written. It does word it in a way that it almost seems as if, in order to carry concealed in a vehicle the vehicle must be registered under your name.
    Doesn't matter who said or where you think you read it, it's not true. If you have a license to carry, drive away, no matter who owns the car, as long as you have permission to have that car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast