Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    (Huntingdon County)

Default Re: "Man tries to take loaded gun to hearing"

It very well could be a total coincidence, I agree.
    Not meaning to soil anyones reputation or anything. If it is a coincidence - there are a lot of things that fit into place lol

(Lycoming County)

[QUOTE\]“Court facility.” The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a district justice; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge’s chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.[/QUOTE]

During my converstion I had with Lycoming County Sheriff Charles Brewer, the bolded section is what he brought up to me. He feels that this section, in essence, means the entire Courthouse and that is why firearms can be excluded from the entire Courthouse. This actually bars one from conducting county business outside of Court business, such as Marriage License nad Tax Assessment among others. I believe the same view is held for District Judges Office's. I do not agree, but then, I lost my bid for District Judge, so take it for what it is worth

Be safe.

Scott

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    IF, IF the information in the article is accurate, the court facility could be in violation of the UFA for not providing firearm storage. They can't simply ask one to "leave the gun in the car", a court facility is obligated to provide a place to check a weapon.

Waiting for more details...
    The provisions for checking the weapon in are not in the UFA, hence it's not a violation of the UFA.

<edit>
    As mentioned earlier, they're found in "Chapter 9. Inchoate Crimes".
    For what it's worth, I'm also not trying to be some sort of "factual elitist" here, I just think it's wise to have our facts in order.
    </edit>
    Last edited by mjf; September 4th, 2008 at 10:45 AM.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post
    Drew, thanks for that info.

So how badly is the court in the wrong for not providing the proper facilities?
    Here is a thread where a member prevailed over the District Judge's opinion that he could not bring a firearm. DJ was advised of the law and made arrangements

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...k-weapons.html

Be safe.

Scott

Even if the DJ is in violation, I don't really see it having much of an effect on this case. Yes, they must have lockboxes but I wouldn't think them breaking the law gives you an excuse to break the law.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    Even if the DJ is in violation, I don't really see it having much of an effect on this case. Yes, they must have lockboxes but I wouldn't think them breaking the law gives you an excuse to break the law.
    Right, as cited earlier, "(d) <snip> and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility anti at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a)."

If the sign included the provisions of subsection (a), then one would argue they had notice of them, even if the notice unlawfully excluded subsection (e)...

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post

We don't really know that he broke any laws though. Was he actually armed when he was there to take pictures and check the calendar? Was he given the opportunity to check his firearm before he was arrested?

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    We don't really know that he broke any laws though. Was he actually armed when he was there to take pictures and check the calendar? Was he given the opportunity to check his firearm before he was arrested?
    agreed not enough to go on yet, but I just got the impression from a few posters that the court not having lock boxes made this a different issue so I wanted to give my .02 on that.

(Susquehanna County)

In the article I posted it didn't say there were no lockers only that he called and ask if there was. Then didn't turn in the gun when he was there. Does anyone know for sure there are no lockers in that facility ?

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...ber-pafoa.html

(Pike County)

Awaiting more info.

Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast