Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Shotgun or Handgun for Home Defense?

What are your thoughts/comments/concerns?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Default Re: Shotgun or Handgun for Home Defense?

CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1 SBR for me.

But between the 2 you mentioned, hand gun for me. Easier to maneuver. And, I don't own a shotgun.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Erie County)

OP, you contemplating which to employ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    OP, you contemplating which to employ?
    Just trying to figure out if I want to buy a new shotgun to keep in my bedroom or some other kind of toy. Right now my bedside gun is a Sig P320.

(Carbon County)

in a home invasion you have 3-5 seconds to react ......

i doubt you will have time to get to a shotgun while sitting in your living room chair . maybe if you are upstairs when the invasion occures . a dog to give you some extra warning time

me? glock 17 with 6 round mag extension .......23+1
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Just trying to figure out if I want to buy a new shotgun to keep in my bedroom or some other kind of toy. Right now my bedside gun is a Sig P320.
    My bedside gun is a 1911. When I get dressed in the morning it becomes my carry gun. If I decide to lounge around a bit before bed it becomes my end table gun. On weekends it becomes my match gun.

I have an AR for home defense but I have no neighbors so no overpenetration worries. I would pick a shotgun if I had to pick between the two. Can't beat the firepower, variety of rounds and it is more forgiving with getting hits on target while under pressure. But handguns have capacity and also are great in close quarters.

Are you living in an apartment or a house? The reason why I ask is because the layout of the house plays a role in this scenario. My house is structured weird that anyone breaking in would have to go through a few locked doors and an ill tempered German shepherd to where I sleep. More than enough time to get any weapon into the fight

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    I have an AR for home defense but I have no neighbors so no overpenetration worries. I would pick a shotgun if I had to pick between the two. Can't beat the firepower, variety of rounds and it is more forgiving with getting hits on target while under pressure. But handguns have capacity and also are great in close quarters.

Are you living in an apartment or a house? The reason why I ask is because the layout of the house plays a role in this scenario. My house is structured weird that anyone breaking in would have to go through a few locked doors and an ill tempered German shepherd to where I sleep. More than enough time to get any weapon into the fight
    Single house with a fence, motion sensored exterior lights, and an alarm system. I always keep a handgun within arms reach of me at home, but was considering a shotgun to keep next to the bed....or continue with only my pistol next to the bed. If I go shotgun route, then I'd get something with a stock and pistol grip and with a capacity of at least 8 shells. I'd load #4 buckshot in it.

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Single house with a fence, motion sensored exterior lights, and an alarm system. I always keep a handgun within arms reach of me at home, but was considering a shotgun to keep next to the bed....or continue with only my pistol next to the bed. If I go shotgun route, then I'd get something with a stock and pistol grip and with a capacity of at least 8 shells. I'd load #4 buckshot in it.
    Sounds reasonable. I just do all three. AR + shotgun within arms reach. Glock 19 in the nightstand. Might seem like overkill but better safe than sorry. IMO Nothing beats the devastation of a shotgun shooting buckshot or slugs in close quarters. Wish there was a way to have some higher capacity though

I don't have any kids yet though so if that is a concern, a handgun is easier to keep hidden from the young ones

(Luzerne County)

Handgun within reach during the day. Handgun, AR and Shotgun all in bedroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    ...there are the true Americans that believe man can govern him/her self. They believe that ingenuity, integrity, hard work, morals and values have merit. That the government is accountable to the people and not the other way around.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast