Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: KSG, buy or no?

(Indiana County)

Default KSG, buy or no?

Found a KSG for $575.
    Previous owner said he couldn't handle the recoil?
    10 shots fired, slugs.

The deal includes 40 Federal slugs which I figure are worth a buck a piece, so $535 for the gun sounds pretty good to me.

My current house shotgun is a Maverick which I would sell or give to a family member if I bought the KSG.

I like the idea of the extra rounds and after looking into the mini-shells after ARjohnsons recent post they might be a hoot to shoot.

Who actually has one?
    Toy or practical?

I'm not a shotgun guy, opinions on them?

Default Re: KSG, buy or no?

They are typically problem child's especially the gen 1's and I would never keep one for anything else other then a range toy.

Just my .02

Tim from MAC had to send his back a few times before Kel-Tec admitted it was completely defective and they replaced the gun.

Last edited by Hodgie; January 22nd, 2017 at 12:35 AM.

(Elk County)

I had one for a few months, Gen 2, and it functioned fine. But my thumbs repeatedly got cut loading rounds in the magazines due to sharp-edged mag tube IDs and sharp edges on the mag selector lever. Same sharp edges meant that the rounds I was stuffing in the mag tubes had to be lined up "just right" or the plastic hulls would get gouged and caught. Not satisfactory for tactical reloading under duress.

Parts were not properly deburred, and I wasn't interested in fixing it or having fixed. But it ran fine once loaded. If you can take care of business in 12 or 14 shots, go for it. It's a range toy unless you are willing to do a heapin helpin of polishin.

From what I read and watched, pretty much all of these bullpup SGs are f__ked up in some way or another.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; January 22nd, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Monroe County)

I dealt with one as instructor at a rental range so it got the shit beat out of it. I have to say I got impressed by it. Never went down, not hard to clear when someone short stroked it. Loading is awkward along with the mag select switch. But that's an kick ass price for one. I'd go for it. If it's your thing. I'm fine with my Mossberg.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

I'd buy it for that price, if you don't like it I don't think you would have an issue selling and coming out a head.

(Indiana County)

It was a month ago, its long been sold.
    I thought I posted that I passed over it, my apologies.

(Monroe County)

This just got bumped. Still not bad.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=311448
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Chester County)

My KSG is pretty much a range toy at this point but I wouldn't get rid of it.
    Mine is the Gen 2 but...

1. mine only likes high brass.
    2. As mentioned, loading can be painful and slow.
    3. mine is sensitive to short stroking.

with that said. It's fun to take out on range day but I would not personally use one as my main defensive firearm (as I have many, many better options).
    I've done a few upgrades and it certainly looks cool.
    As far as price; seems to be priced right.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.