Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Large Shows vs Small Shows?

Which kind of shows do you like best, the large shows or the small ones? I’ll say at the outset that I really enjoy going to the large shows in my area. I almost never miss the Oaks show, the annual Baltimore Antique Arms show in Timmonium, and I try to make the Forks of the Delaware show in Allentown once a year or so. It is usually worth the price of admission just to browse, and I almost always find something I want. My parents having grown up in the great depression, however, has conditioned me to hunt for bargains, and there are seldom any to be found at the large shows.

My favorite shows are the small ones run by local gun clubs. There are a couple of clubs close to me that have shows twice a year. Granted, the selection of merchandise for sale is much smaller, and more often than not I come away empty handed. But sometimes I walk in and find exactly what I am looking for at a great price. This past weekend I found a Type I Carcano variant in great condition for $150 at a show put on by a local club. The only ones I had able to find at Oaks and Allentown were specimens in poor condition priced at $400 plus. Another time I was interested in an antique pistol that a guy had on his table. I offered him lower that the asking price, or course, and he countered with an even lower price, saying “my ex-wife gets a share of the profits, so I don’t want to make money”.

My least favorite shows are the ones put on by gun show promoters at small venues. These combine large show pricing with small show lack of merchandise. Sometimes you even have to pay for parking as well as the admission fee, which is always in the $10 range.

Default Re: Large Shows vs Small Shows?

i like the Oaks show when it happens on Friday... i enjoy the mass of vendors without the mass of shoppers.

when the wife is cleaning the house, i'll go to any gun show - regardless of the size...

I love the small shows because of the smaller crowds. I hate the smaller shows because the prices are usually higher.
    I hate the big shows because it's a cluster*#%k of people. I love the big shows because with the competition, you can get some great deals!
    It's a classic love/hate relationship!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

I prefer the big ones just because the vendors I frequent are there. On the way home from Westminister, MD this morning I saw a sign for a gun show in Littlestown. If you want to know how small it was I got in the door 23 minutes before closing and had time to make two laps around the show floor. I scored a new ankle holster but didn't see anything else.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer1673 View Post
    i like the Oaks show when it happens on Friday... i enjoy the mass of vendors without the mass of shoppers.

I agree, plus, I can drive to Oaks in 30 minutes. I get there on Friday at noon, read a book in the car for half hour, then stand in a fairly short line and chat until the 1 pm opening. The place is far less mobbed compared to Saturday or Sunday, and ammo selection is very good. By Saturday noon, they are running out of the ammo I'm usually looking for (.38 wad-cutters, as well as CCI SV .22). Remember, even if ammo is available, the dealers with the best prices sell out first. Gun-wise, I got a great deal during the 4/1/16 Oaks show on a new S&W 617 revolver...but that was 20 minutes after the doors opened on day one.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe from Media View Post
    I agree, plus, I can drive to Oaks in 30 minutes. I get there on Friday at noon, read a book in the car for half hour, then stand in a fairly short line and chat until the 1 pm opening.
    Same here pretty much.Although I hate driving on I-76 I can get to Oaks pretty quickly.I like the larger venues as most smaller shows that I have been to lack space to even move around,parking is an issue,and if they are crowded you can't even see what is on some of the tables because people want to stand there and block your view of the merchandise.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Berks County)

Never been to any so hard to say but I would think big would bring out more competitive prices.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Mifflin County)

I've only been to a few, but the ones I have prices seemed as high, or higher than just going to a shop. Don't have to pay an entrance fee (or for parking) to go to a shop....

(Lancaster County)

Eh - it's a mix. Big shows are nice since they offer more variety (speaking in terms of milsurp), however prices can range from good to horrible. Small shows are nice since I've been able to get things at some pretty good prices, albeit not as great a selection sometimes.

It all depends.

(Delaware County)

The problem I have with shows AND shops is that 98% of the guns and ammo they stock are geared to "home defense". I can't blame them, because home defense is the "hot button" as far as sales go. I belong to a gun club, and shoot paper targets at 25 yds with my 4 handguns a few times each week. At 74, I'm not interested in concealed carry. At least the big shows have what I'm looking for. Every gun shop I've gone to looks at me like I just landed from Mars when I ask for .38 wadcutters. Even on-line, you can usually only find semi-WC ammo. Ragged holes are hard to score.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast