Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Budget Carry Suggestions

So I've been looking for a pistol that is reliable, cheap to shoot (9 or 40) and won't break the bank. I've looked at the M&P , the SCCY, the ubiquitous Glock and the TP9v2 or SFx. A lot of non Glock fan boys & girls have said that the trigger is not great unless you upgrade it, the M&P isn't horrible but I've heard of reliability issues and the SCCY CPX is double action only.

Any reason not to go with a Canik/Century Arms TP9? I've seen it tortured and run with crap ammo and it's like a swiss watch, it just keeps on ticking. From Canik's website, they're ISO 9001/9000 certified and they're NATO tested or something along those lines, their barrels are made for the long haul. They'll never make it in the police market here but they are a military/LE contractor in Turkey so they must be doing something right. One or two of the variations have Warren Tactical sites so it should be easy to get different sites for it if needed & their sfx is MRDS ready but it's more of a competition gun not a carry piece. I know it's a "off brand" and there probably won't be a lot of people out there who have one so feedback might be limited but I'm trying.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Budget Carry Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybonez28 View Post
    So I've been looking for a pistol that is reliable, cheap to shoot (9 or 40) and won't break the bank. I've looked at the M&P , the SCCY, the ubiquitous Glock and the TP9v2 or SFx. A lot of non Glock fan boys & girls have said that the trigger is not great unless you upgrade it, the M&P isn't horrible but I've heard of reliability issues and the SCCY CPX is double action only.

Any reason not to go with a Canik/Century Arms TP9? I've seen it tortured and run with crap ammo and it's like a swiss watch, it just keeps on ticking. From Canik's website, they're ISO 9001/9000 certified and they're NATO tested or something along those lines, their barrels are made for the long haul. They'll never make it in the police market here but they are a military/LE contractor in Turkey so they must be doing something right. One or two of the variations have Warren Tactical sites so it should be easy to get different sites for it if needed & their sfx is MRDS ready but it's more of a competition gun not a carry piece. I know it's a "off brand" and there probably won't be a lot of people out there who have one so feedback might be limited but I'm trying.
    If it were me starting out on a budget and needed one all-around (jack of all trades) firearm I think I would look hard at a Keltec PF9 or a Ruger LC9. Either can be had for around $400 or less. Keltec has poor fit and finish but a decent track record plus a real life time warranty. Ruger is better quality, has a very good track record, but costs more. 9MM is the cheapest center fire ammo available, is plentiful, and is good for home defense as well as personal defense. Either gun is small enough to easily conceal but large enough for home defense. Holsters and other accessories are going to be easy to find for either gun.
    If you really want to go "budget", I would look again at SCCY CPX-II. Double stack can still be concealable.
    Just my $.02
    Last edited by ray h; January 14th, 2017 at 10:39 PM.
    The Hostler

(Wayne County)

There's couple folks here that have Caniks and speak highly of them.

I'll second the vote for the PF9. I've been carrying mine daily since 2010 and routinely for 3+ years before that. Only problem I ever had was that the screw holding the extractor worked loose at the range and I lost the extractor. An email to KelTec and I had a new extractor and screw sent to me in two days free of charge. Used blue Loc-tite and haven't had an issue since. They can be purchased regularly for $225 used.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lehigh County)

A year ago I picked up a Taurus PT111 G2 in 9mm. I liked it so much I picked up a second one a couple of months ago. I've got over 350 rounds through each so far with no hiccups yet. Light enough to carry and holds 12 rounds. They can be had for less than $250. Might want to at least take a look at them

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by rckeystone View Post
    A year ago I picked up a Taurus PT111 G2 in 9mm. I liked it so much I picked up a second one a couple of months ago. I've got over 350 rounds through each so far with no hiccups yet. Light enough to carry and holds 12 rounds. They can be had for less than $250. Might want to at least take a look at them

A friend of mine who is a cop carries one as her backup.
    She's put many rounds through hers.
    She does shoot almost every weekend so I know the gun has seen more than it's fair share of range time.

I would go with a 9mm Shield especially if your going to carry it. From my experience with many carry pistols it's the best all around pistol in that class while still handeling and shooting like a compact sized pistol like a G19. They can be found NIB for as low as $325.00.

The Canik is nice they run pretty good but it's a full sized pistol with little aftermarket support for holsters and other parts. The holster that comes with it is a cheap POS and doesn't conceal well. The new SF Elite is supposed to be their compact pistol, It does have FO sights from Warren but as of now there are no other options. There are some good reviews on it as well as some showing stoppages and not so great performance but it's a new pistol and it may have a few bugs to work out. I personally won't by any brand new to the market pistol with the intention of SD or carry no matter who makes it and at $430.00 it's up there in the realm of better choices. If you have an issue Century warranties them and they truly suck to deal with. I would be happy to own one or two but not as my primary defense or carry pistol.

The Taurus PT111 has a decent track record as well as the sccy. Both are super affordable and have great warranty support. I would also check out the Kahr CW9 series very affordable shootable pistols made right here in NEPA.

I personally wouldn't recommend any Kel-tec product to anyone due to having delt with them and many of their products in a retail situation for several years and that's all I will say about that.

Your best investment would be to find a range that rents the pistols you are interested in and give them all a go. You just might be surprised at what you end up liking and hating. I would also recommend trying out a few of the popular wheel guns like the LCR if your open to them.

My last piece of advise is to take the "torture" test of ANY firearm on YouTube with a grain of salt especially Century products since 95% of the reviewers are getting paid sponsorships from them.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 15th, 2017 at 12:40 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

You can usually find used SIG SP2022's for around $350 and they usually have night sights. Mags can be tough to find in stores, but can be found for a reasonable price online with a little bit of effort.

Quote Originally Posted by borekfk View Post
    You can usually find used SIG SP2022's for around $350 and they usually have night sights. Mags can be tough to find in stores, but can be found for a reasonable price online with a little bit of effort.

The used market opens you up to a whole lot of better pistols at good prices which is where I would be looking if I had a smaller budget to work with.

(Erie County)

The Sig 2022 is a great gun at 350 used. It is a full size gun though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Schuylkill County)

I'm a very happy owner of a Bersa Thunder UC 40. It's been my every day carry for the past eight years or so. It's accurate enough for me to hit 8" targets from 25 yards away and I've put thousands of rounds through it without any issues.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast