Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Budget Carry Suggestions

I forgot to include the very often overlooked S&W SD9 VE which is heavily based on the Glock 19. They are reliable, very affordable, and there's decent aftermarket support for them which includes sights and triggers.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...83125/redirect

(Chester County)

How about the Canik/TriStar C100? Its a clone of the CZ PCR. Can't go wrong with that!
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Delaware County)

Saw a Ruger LC9s Pro for $299 at CDNN Sports. I've never ordered anything from them but that's a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Saw a Ruger LC9s Pro for $299 at CDNN Sports. I've never ordered anything from them but that's a decent price.
    CDNN is good to go they are a solid company.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    CDNN is good to go they are a solid company.
    I'll second that. CDNN was easy. I found a new ffl through them when I bought a PTR308 from them. Whispering Pines II. Both are on my repeat buisiness list.

O.P. I just picked up a canik. It shows excellent workmanship inside and out. I haven't shot it yet, but it screams quality for a polymer striker. Mec-Gar mags are the OEM and not overly expensive. The trigger is border line great.

People mentioned some good alternative police trades. You didn't mention carry so for me I'd skip the kel-tec and ruger clone as they give up too much for the benifit of cc. The new walther creed looks like good deal but check mag prices first.

Hokkmike Guest

Sent you a PM.

(Luzerne County)

The cost of the gun itself is not even half the battle on a budget. you have some other things to consider. Finding a holster for an oddball low priced handgun can be a challenge. Unless you go with a nylon universal holster. Then you have to feed the gun.

Another option on a budget would be a 1911. There are plenty of holsters and mag around that wont break the bank. Then if you pick up a decent .22 slide for it then you can practice all you want using .22's. Then finish off the range trip with a mag or two of .45.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

These are good guns, in a decent caliber, 9x18. They are still available at good prices, but they are getting more expensive. High quality, service pistol that will last a lifetime or more. I own one, and prefer it over the plastic fantastic crap being made today. Mine rides in a readily available, generic holster designed for a small auto.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/612357647

For a budget, the SCCY CPX-2 9mm.
    Compact size that will fit larger hands due to it's double-stack 10 + 1 rd capacity and pinky finger mag bottoms. USA made! SCCY's lifetime no questions asked warranty on the gun regardless of owner. Laserlite makes a nice trigger-guard laser for it. A lot of nice cheap holsters in Kydex for it as well. Extra mags are available that won't break the bank. The bare gun can be bought new for under $275. Used with accessories much cheaper. The most important thing about my SCCY is............it's reliable. No concerns about it not going bang! This was my budget CCW when I started out everyday carry.
    The biggest con about it is the long trigger pull and some slop. There are a few third party improvements for it online if you can't get over the pull.
    There are much better guns out there but this is a good budget EDC.
    SCCY CPX-2.jpg
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybonez28 View Post
    So I've been looking for a pistol that is reliable, cheap to shoot (9 or 40) and won't break the bank. I've looked at the M&P , the SCCY, the ubiquitous Glock and the TP9v2 or SFx. A lot of non Glock fan boys & girls have said that the trigger is not great unless you upgrade it, the M&P isn't horrible but I've heard of reliability issues and the SCCY CPX is double action only.

Any reason not to go with a Canik/Century Arms TP9? I've seen it tortured and run with crap ammo and it's like a swiss watch, it just keeps on ticking. From Canik's website, they're ISO 9001/9000 certified and they're NATO tested or something along those lines, their barrels are made for the long haul. They'll never make it in the police market here but they are a military/LE contractor in Turkey so they must be doing something right. One or two of the variations have Warren Tactical sites so it should be easy to get different sites for it if needed & their sfx is MRDS ready but it's more of a competition gun not a carry piece. I know it's a "off brand" and there probably won't be a lot of people out there who have one so feedback might be limited but I'm trying.

I don't see a reason not to get the canick if that's what you really love. Yes it's full sized, but it could still be concealed or open carried or somewhere in between. Holsters are becoming more available for it. Alien Gear lists it as do some other makers. Odds are you're not going to be able to go to Wal-Mart or gander and pick a holster though.

If you're open to 40 and like the Glock, there's lots of pd trade ins out there. I've seen a ton of g22/23 leo trades in the $350-375 range in recent months. That would open up an unlimited number of holster and accessories options.

The tristar mentioned is another decent pick, but you may run into the limited accessories problem there as well. The smaller CZ guns that it's modeled after don't have tons of options out there either. They make full sized variants also if that's more what you're looking for. I have a t120 and it's run perfect so far.

If cc is the primary goal then the pt111 g2 seems like a good option for the $$$ as is the lc9 mentioned earlier. I have 0 experience with the sccy. I know they had some early problems, but they seem to have adressed them and they get decent reviews now.

Some other decent budget friendly ideas.

Beretta 92s: I picked one of these up around Christmas for $300 and am pretty impressed. Same quality as the regular 92 series. The European mag release is the only detractor I can see, but it's a very good quality gun for the money.

Ruger p series: they don't get much love anymore, but they are another solid gun that can be had for @ $300. I have a p95 with thousands of rounds through it and it has never malfunctioned that I can remember. Not the prettiest gun imo, but they work.

CZ 82: The prices on these have crept up in recent years, but I bet you can still find them for $300 when they come up. 9x18 ammo can be hard to find at brick and mortar shops sometimes, but obligation it's no problem. Very accurate gun and a great size for concealed carry. Holsters and accessories can be a problem with them as well. I picked mine up sub $300 as a range toy and it's become my primary edc.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast