Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor

(Centre County)

Default 6.5 Creedmoor

I don't know a whole lot about calibers, so I'm hoping someone can help me out.... I plan on buying the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creemoor. I have a Remington Model 7 in .243 that I absolutely love. I personally don't think it has much kick to it... I was wondering how much more recoil the 6.5 cm has compared to a .243... Someone help a girl out!
    Last edited by cfrank122; January 14th, 2017 at 09:51 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 6.5 Creedmoor

Both cases hold about the same amount of powder so you should not will feel a difference shooting the same bullet weight.

But most people with a 6.5 Creedmoor shoot a heavier bullet so it will kick a little more.

The weight of the rifle will make a bigger difference. If you are recoil shy don't buy an ultralite "mountain" rifle

I have not shot a 6.5CM............yet! I do have a few 243's and there isn't much recoil to them at all. If you look at the ballistics of the two, a 6.5CM has a muzzle energy of < 2400 ft/lbs. The 243 Win's muzzle energy is around 2100 to 2150 ft/lbs. That isn't much difference between the two. Not much at all! I would say the kick of the 6.5CM would be about 10 to 12% more than a 243. And this depends on many factors like the weight of each gun. Bullet weight and cartridge manufacturer, the stock not suited to the shooter's frame, etc.
    You may not "feel" the difference if you match your frame to the gun and play around with different loads.
    Hope that helped you a little.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Allegheny County)

I have both an American Predator 6.5 and American compact 243. While the 243 rifle itself is much lighter the 6.5 has a little more recoil.

Since the barrel on the predator is threaded put a good muzzle brake on and it will reduce felt recoil quite a bit.

(Allegheny County)

I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and the recoil is not a problem at all. My .308 has more recoil.

1 1 2017 B.jpg
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Bucks County)

You might take a look at the recoil calculator here: http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp It shows the info you need to calculate the actual recoil impulse. I couldn't quickly find the weight of your current and proposed rifle or I would have calculated it for you. For the weight of the powder, 40-43 gr probably is close enough for government work

As said above, there won't be much if any difference given a rifle and bullet of the same weight, and your current rifle isn't a heavyweight. So the odds are very good that at least some increase in bullet weight won't cause you pain