Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default New Weaver scope quality

I've always been a fan of weaver scopes because that's all Myself or my family ever used mainly in the last 35 years or so all have been the older Elpaso 2.5 or 3x and also a 10x target maybe not the brightest comparing to today's modern optics but none the less they are strong and dependable and never had issues of any type with those old steel tube scopes .
    So how do the new Weaver scopes rate ? Looking at lower mag. 1-4 or straight 3x , and something that's fairly light weight , this will just be for hunting . Prefer a straight objective tube I just like the way they look and that's what I'm used to .

Tim

(Wayne County)

Default Re: New Weaver scope quality

Leupold FX3 6X42 LR reticle is one of the best scopes I've ever looked thru. Light weight and no messing around mag ring. I just received a Swarovski Z3 and I'm spoiled.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New Weaver scope quality

The whole optics industry just makes me feel ripped off.

In 1971 I bought what I thought was one of the best....a Leupold 10 power with AO. I really stretched the budget on that one at the time.

Now I see Leupolds going for $600-$999 which is still a stretch (I've bought a couple), but the "good scopes" with exotic names are in the $1800-$3000...which I just can't imagine spending.

Point being, it appears that a good scope costs in excess of $1800 and the rest, under that, are mediocre while those companies lie to us and tell us they are very good if not "the best".

In my day Weaver was the go-to hunting scope for the average sportsman who believed in buying American because we were being told that Jap was crap. Today it is recognized that the original Japanese made Tasco scope had damned good optics for the money as well as decent zero-maintaining abilities. The Weaver K2.5 was popular and the K4 was recommended as the highest magnification for deer hunting due to view reduction as power climbed.

The Elite series of Weaver enjoy good-sounding advertising. The virtues seem to creep into the experiences posted by consumers. I have no personal experience nor the word of others.

I don't trust $129 Chinese scopes because of the price and the origin (shades of the original attitudes from Tasco days return). I may be missing opportunity.

I can't justify the Swarovskis and such. If a 600+ yard range was a half-hour away, it would alter the situation to a must do.

But then, my sons would inherit them. Hmmmm....now, there's a thought.....