Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default M&P Shield 40 vs 45

Looking to get a new compact for conceal/carry, and I'm really liking what the Shield has to offer. And although I plan on trying both out at my local shop/indoor range to compare them, I just wanted to get some of your opinions here first. I love shooting 45, however I'm afraid with a compact it's going to be snappy as hell. Perhaps the 40 is the same way. Anyone own either and/or shot them who can give a fair assessment?

(Centre County)

Default Re: M&P Shield 40 vs 45

Just the difference between the 40 and the 45 will tell you the 40 will be the "snappy" one. Even in full sized guns, the .40 is "snappy" compared to the 9mm and the .45acp. Remember the .45acp is a relatively "slow" round as compared to the .40 S&W. That said, I have several customers that have the Shield in .40 and they are quite happy with it. I have a M&P 40 full size and I like it a lot.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I have both a 9mm and 45ACP Shield. I did not like the snappy recoil of 40 S&W Shield, it was harder to get accurate follow up shots. I do have a full size Glock 22 in 40S&W I shoot just fine. For me 40S&W and 357SIG are too snappy.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Bucks County)

I too have both.....no worry, the .45 is not snappy....in fact, much tamer than you'd think and accurate as can be. It's slightly bigger than the 9 but that slightly bigger.... matters....GREAT gun.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

I was just at Atlantic Tactical looking at a .45 recently. Nice gun. Yep, it will have recoil, but you should be able to handle it. That being said, why not a Shield 9mm? Ballistics have greatly improved over the last few years that you can get stellar 9mm ammo and get good stopping results so long as you do your part. Caliber 9mm to .357 in a firefight wont matter with good shot placement and quality ammo. Don't let the naysayers say otherwise. No handgun is a good man stopper, its a last ditch item when your long gun goes offline. But for concealed carry, that and a knife can't be bear.

Try Lehigh Defense and Underwood ammo (uses Lehigh's bullets in their product) Winchester, Federal, Speer and ornaday also have good stuff. Just look at tests and know your intended use. Duty, you want something more barrier blind, home defense, not so much usually, ccw use....depends.

There are so many variables with shootings and autopsies that there is no (perfect round) but you get the wanna be know it all folks argue .45 vs 9mm vs......etc....all day long. To you I recommend minimum 6+1 in a deep concealment role (think summer and light clothes), Look at the Shield 9mm and Springfield XDS 9mm 3.3" also. Walther PPS M2 and Honor Guard are decent as well. But bottom line, get what first feels comfortable, points naturally to you, and then what you can HIT with the easiest and practice, practice, practice. Generally with 9mm you can carry a round or two more for the similar sized gun than .40 to boot.

(Allegheny County)

I got the 45 last month and find it very tolerable and super accurate.Before firing it,I covered that 40 grit textured grip with a piece of bicycle inner tube.Also the 45 acp seems more re-loading friendly than the 40.I find it easier to conceal than snub nose revolver I've carried for years.Decisions,decisions.

(Berks County)

Thanks everyone. Ended up going with the .40 Very happy with it.