Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Talking New Bench and New (to me) RL550B

Finally, after almost a year of living in my first purchased home, I got around to building my reloading bench. I also graduated from my Lee single stage to a Dillon RL550B. Couldn't be happier with this press. I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase it slightly used from a friend who got a new 650. He gave me a great deal. For how skeptical I was about switching from single stage to progressive, I have no regrets now. I have to say, I even prefer the 550 over the 650. Less moving parts, and easier to check everything that's going on/correct an error if needed. Fabbed the steel mount myself with some c-channel. A couple of the parts could eventually be upgraded such as the powder measure, but for now it all works like a charm. Happy camper here
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New Bench and New (to me) RL550B

Very nice! Congratulations!
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Bucks County)

Grats on home ownership!! Grats on the 550!! Nice job on the bench, cabinet and mount lol. Looks like you're good to go, and at a higher rate of speed now!

(Susquehanna County)

Very good! Though I'll bet dollars to donuts in a short time you'll be wishing your bench was bigger! No dis meant it is just a natural progression as you gather more goodies and want a place for your scale, and your case prep tools (especially if one of your kids buys you the Lyman motorized 5 station do-hickey), and you have to have your manuals and the die sets that you'll acquire somewhere handy! Not to mention the 1 pound canisters and 8 pound kegs of powder and cases of primers! Please don't laugh! Reloading means you'll "collect" stuff.

You're off to a marvelous start! Just remember the RL550B can be used to reload most rifle cartridges also, and you can use it in a "single stage" mode when you want to make very precise cartridges for load development and testing. Heh-Heh you'll probably be adding a chronograph to your stock too!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Thanks everyone! I'm sure one day I'll want more space, but for now I'm good. I have tons of storage in the above mounted cabinet and in the big floor-to-ceiling cabinet to the left.

Really enjoying this press so far. I'm heading to the range tomorrow to try some of the rounds I made before going any further.

(Bucks County)

Congrats on the new home and the 550b.

The picture shows a low level of powder in the powder measure. A tip on the powder measure: try to keep it at least 1/2 full for consistent drops. The weight of the powder over the powder bar can affect the amount of powder that drops into the powder bar when the lever is thrown.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Congrats on the new home and the 550b.

The picture shows a low level of powder in the powder measure. A tip on the powder measure: try to keep it at least 1/2 full for consistent drops. The weight of the powder over the powder bar can affect the amount of powder that drops into the powder bar when the lever is thrown.
    Thanks for the advice! Was just about to refill.

(Berks County)

Congrats on your new diggs and reloading setup. Lifetime hobby. You picked one of the best presses out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Very good! Though I'll bet dollars to donuts in a short time you'll be wishing your bench was bigger!
    Oh so true!!!

Before.

After.

(Washington County)

Nice. Be careful about upgrading the powder measure. The new measure from Dillon does not throw as accurately as the old style you have. If you are worried about the clearness of the powder hopper, just contact Dillon and buy just the hopper. I have an old measure that I only loaded pistol rounds with so I used the small powder bar. When I decided to use my 650 for rifle round (.223) I bought a second measure , new style, and it drop loads that were all over the place. I finally found another old style measure at a estate sale and now my 650 works great for .223 rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast