Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default albanian firing pin won't fit in Yugoslavia SKS. Help!

Ok so I recently bought a yugo sks m59/66 and it was having issues firing. After looking at the firing pin. It appeared to have slight mushrooming on the tip, so I ordered one of those albanian ones from aimsurplus and it won't fit. It slides in but won't slide freely. Do any of you guys have a clue how to fix this? Im At lost because all over the Internet people are saying they have no problems switching it out for anow Albanian one, but of course here I am having trouble. Thanks for any help guys.

(Berks County)

Default Re: albanian firing pin won't fit in Yugoslavia SKS. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jteep12 View Post
    Ok so I recently bought a yugo sks m59/66 and it was having issues firing. After looking at the firing pin. It appeared to have slight mushrooming on the tip, so I ordered one of those albanian ones from aimsurplus and it won't fit. It slides in but won't slide freely. Do any of you guys have a clue how to fix this? Im At lost because all over the Internet people are saying they have no problems switching it out for anow Albanian one, but of course here I am having trouble. Thanks for any help guys.
    Check how clean the channel is. Measure the pins with micrometer and caliper.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jteep12 View Post
    Check how clean the channel is. Measure the pins with micrometer and caliper. Check for straightness.

(Bucks County)

Examine the bolt face and see if there is something about the channel that would impede a firing pin from a normally looser fit. Make very sure the entire channel (front to back) is clean. Super clean.

Check that the newly-acquired firing pin is not bent. Reduce the over-all thickness of the firing pin by polishing with 400 paper until it moves the required distance within the bolt channel unimpeded.

Make sure there is not a spring remaining in the firing pin channel. Some people install firing pin return springs to preclude slam firing.

The Albanian firing pin is a 2 sided pin vs the Yugoslavian and Chinese 3 sided or triangular pin. The Alby pin should work however over the last 15 years of SKS collecting I have seen ones that would not interchange for one reason or another.

If you do everything as stated above and it's still not working then check out the below site for a quality newly manufactured replacement.

https://murraysguns.com/sks-firing-pins/

(Beaver County)

Did the Yugo pin rattle freely when the bolt was assembled? Just maybe it wasn't the mushroomed tip of the original firing pin that was the issue, but the pin channel in the bolt. I remember reading that the channel can wear at the point where the pin taper makes contact, and cause a sticky firing pin. Conversely, the pin can develop a ring at this same place around its taper.