Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default 6.5 Creedmoor for Coyote and Fox

Anyone have any experience with using the 6.5 Creedmoor for shooting coyotes or foxes? Does it really do a number on the pelts? My fox setup has always been a .17 HMR but we've been calling in more and more coyotes and I don't feel comfortable with taking a crack at one past about 100yds with that small of a caliber. I eventually plan on investing in a .22 Hornet or another .223 (the only one I have now is a super fancy CZ 527 Ebony Edition, and I can't bring myself to drag it through the woods), so right now I'm down to either my .17 or the 6.5 Creedmoor. Would it even be worth it to shoot something with the 6.5 if my goal is to save pelts?

(Wayne County)

Default Re: 6.5 Creedmoor for Coyote and Fox

How much is a coyote skin going for? Is it worth worrying about? Fur market is way down unless you have someone local your selling to. Kill em.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    How much is a coyote skin going for? Is it worth worrying about? Fur market is way down unless you have someone local your selling to. Kill em.
    I've actually been using my .270 for them lately, but with 130gr SSTs ahead of 60gr of H4831 it really tears them up. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely go out there and kill them, but I'd like to save pelts if I could. And I'm not actually the one who sells them, I give them to a neighbor whole and he tans and sells them. Last I talked to him he said he was getting about 40 to 50 for a good coyote. Haven't given him any yet this year though cuz that .270 leaves an exit wound the size of a softball.
    Last edited by yeahbuck36; January 11th, 2017 at 11:33 AM.

(Bucks County)

Would a head shot solve the issue?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Would a head shot solve the issue?
    He told me that he can't sell them if there is damage to the head.

(Westmoreland County)

The Creedmore is the ballistic equivalent to the 260 or the 6.5 Swede. Unless your going to load a light bullet way down, your going to damage the coyote, and still cut a fox in half. Or if you load a lead bullet and not a Ballistic Tip bullet you will have a good chance of a hole in....hole out and dead critter....again, with the right shot placement and right handload. A good fox bullet is the 22-mag or the .17 Hornet, or 22-hornet. Both of the Hornet's will kill a coyote with a well placed head shot or lung. Small fast bullets will explode in 'em and not exit. (I should say be less likely to exit.) I shot a raccoon last year at ten yards with my 17 Hornet and separated his head from the rest of him. Bad shot placement. FWIW