Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Questions about .44 special

Several times over the years I have contemplated looking for a good deal on a .44 special. The reasons have varied at different times. With my starting to hunt several years ago my interest has risen again. I have several questions about the caliber.

At what barrel length does the round start to show decreasing returns? At what length does it really shine.

Are there many reloading options as far as bullet weight and type go. Can it be loaded easily to perform a range of functions?

Would it be considered useful as a backup in bear country in Pa?

Are there reasonably priced quality guns on the market?

Is there ant chance of the caliber going into obsolescence anytime soon?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Questions about .44 special

"Regular" Loads:

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Powder&Source=

+P Loads:

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Powder&Source=

Barrel lengths range from 3" in Charter Arms, Ruger GP100 and S&W 696 and 624 revolvers to 6.5" in Smith 24s and 624s. In between are Ruger Blackhawks at 4.6" and 5.5", and S&W 24s and 624s with 4" tubes. Smith 629s in 44 Magnum were made in 8-3/8", and Super Blackhawks are 7.5".

IMO, the "ideal" length would be 5". Closest is the Blackhawk in 4.6". That's a good compromise bbl length for all around shooting. Personally I prefer 3" for carry reasons, and my Charter, Smith 696, Smith 624, all have 3" barrels. Accuracy from all is ORH at distances from 35 to 50 feet using a 240 gr SWC over 7.0 gr of Unique. Same for my Ruger New Model Bisley Blackhawk Flat Top 4.6". It just WORKS.

You can juice it in the heavier-built guns and use Elmer Keith's 240/250 gr SWC over 17 to 17.5 gr of 2400, but it feels just like a 44 Magnum going off. But a solid bullet in the 240-250 range loaded warm, like with 8 gr of Unique would do well as a black bear backup as that is the load my uncle used on a surprised black bear in the mid 60s from a Smith 24 with a 6.5" barrel.

The thing about the 44 Special that lights my fire is the nearly-incomparable intrinsic accuracy. It is a cartridge that groups incredibly well if not pushed unreasonably hot. One ragged hole (ORH) accuracy as mentioned above is the norm for me.

The GP100 in 44 Special is a 3" five-shot version that was just introduced, and it's akin to the Smith L frame, and specifically the 696 which S&W could not GIVE away when offered. One the stopped making it, demand shot through the roof. Prices are around $1000. The GP100 should be aruond $600, and you can find the NM Blackhawk used under $500. The latter in 4.6" would fit your bill nicely.

As for obsolescence, there has been a serious cult following from the 1950s on through the present. You do not see used 44 Specials in gun shops except for Charter Arms Bulldogs and the occasional Smith or Ruger. The guns tend to stay in families or get sold to family friends or by word of mouth. Ruger just introducing the 3" GP100 tells me that Ruger thinks that neither the revolver nor the 44 Spl are dead yet.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; January 10th, 2017 at 09:54 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

.44 special is a pretty weak round in a pistol. 200 gr bullet looks like about 1200 fps in a 8 in barrel. What are looking to hunt? Also .44 special costs about the same as .44 mag. .44 mag is way more versatile. You can download for target or load it to max and it's a decent round for deer.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

The 44 spl cartridge isn't carried by the big box stores "much" but it can be had at almost any local gun shop that has a decent amount of ammo on display. I have an old silhouette model Super Blackhawk, (10.5" barrel), that I shoot a lot of 44 spl out of. Very accurate as Noah pointed out. You can also get cowboy loads in 44 special that barely make the barrel rise. Great for plinking and round the house varminting. (Dirty as hell though). It's a straight-walled pistol cartridge so they are very easy to reload and there is a lot of info on reloading them in the manuals and on-line. Muzzle velocity of the 44 spl is pretty close to that of a 38 spl so it makes a very adequate self defense round in the right gun. Not certain if there will be a comeback for the 44 spl but it isn't going away anytime soon based on it's longevity.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    .44 special is a pretty weak round in a pistol. 200 gr bullet looks like about 1200 fps in a 8 in barrel. What are looking to hunt? Also .44 special costs about the same as .44 mag. .44 mag is way more versatile. You can download for target or load it to max and it's a decent round for deer.
    I won't be hunting with the handgun. I just want something that gives me a chance against Pa. black bears if I ever startle one and it charges. Guns chambered in .44 mag are usually a little too large for me. It would also pull double duty as a SD gun on occasion.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Chester County)

Which is a better all around round: .45 long colt or .44 special?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    With standard factory loads that have been available for years the .45 would have an advantage in velocity, bullet diameter and bullet weight. With current cowboy loads things kind of even out except for bullet diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I won't be hunting with the handgun. I just want something that gives me a chance against Pa. black bears if I ever startle one and it charges. Guns chambered in .44 mag are usually a little too large for me. It would also pull double duty as a SD gun on occasion.
    For that it would be fine. Pa black bears are pretty mellow for the most part. I think the noise would make them take off. I carry a 9mm and I never worry. Ruger makes a really nice revolver for the money. I would pick one of them up in the shortest barrel you feel comfortable shooting.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    If you're worried about bear, your better bet is to carry bear spray in a holster. There are various brands, I personally carry UDAP which comes with a "holster" to carry on my belt. Bear spray comes in a can the size of a good-size hair spray rather than the little pepper spray cans that you can use to spice up your taco. The statistics that I've read are that using bear spray is generally over 90% effective in preventing injury from bears that are attacking vs. around 50% for firearms. Don't forget that a miss with the hottest caliber pistol has no stopping power, and you may not have time for a second shot.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I own multiple firearms in both chamberings, 45 Colt and 44 Special. Despite slight differences in bullet diameter (0.020") and bullet mass (250 gr vs 240 gr for example), practically speaking, the two cartridges are a wash. Load for load, you can pretty much use the same powder charge for a given weight class of bullet. In fact, my standard handload for 44 Special is a 240 gr SWC over 7.0 gr of Unique, and in 45 Colt, a 250 gr SWC over the same charge of the same powder. Velocity is nearly the same, within about 20 FPS, which is within variation. The same holds true for mousefart CAS loads, or warm-hot loads, but I standardized long ago.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Where the difference lie seem to be in accuracy, in my opinion and experience there tended to be more variation in handgun bore and chamber throat dimensions in the 45 Colt than with the 44 Special, the bore and throat dimensions for which seemed to me to be much more uniform and consistent. Again IMO, this is a major contributing factor in the 44 Special's intrinsic accuracy.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast