Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Exclamation SHARE Act/ Hearing Protection Act 2017

Legislation for the HPA has been reintroduced to the house for 2017, I will update this thread with more info as it becomes available. Please contact your reps, hand written letters and calls are preferred but I'll include a sample template, feel free to personalize it as it comes off more genuine. If you didn't write your reps last go around, now you really have no excuses and I urge you to do so.

American suppressor association
    WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Suppressor Association (ASA) is pleased to announce the reintroduction of the Hearing Protection Act (HPA) by Rep. Jeff Duncan (SC-03) and Rep. John Carter (TX-31). This historic piece of legislation, which was originally introduced by Rep. Matt Salmon (AZ-05) in the 114th Congress, will remove suppressors from the purview of the National Firearms Act (NFA), replacing the antiquated federal transfer process with an instantaneous NICS background check. The HPA also includes a provision to refund the $200 transfer tax to applicants who purchase a suppressor after October 22, 2015, which was the original date of introduction.

The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act will fix the flawed federal treatment of suppressors, making it easier for hunters and sportsmen to protect their hearing in the 42 states where private suppressor ownership is currently legal, and the 40 states where hunting with a suppressor is legal. This legislation will remove suppressors from the onerous requirements of the NFA, and instead require purchasers to pass an instant NICS check, the same background check that is used during the sale of long guns. In doing so, law-abiding citizens will remain free to purchase suppressors, while prohibited persons will continue to be barred from purchasing or possessing these accessories.
    NRA's article on the HPA: Bill H.R. 367
    FAIRFAX, Va. – The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) applauded Congressmen Jeff Duncan (SC) and John Carter (TX-31) on Monday for introducing the Hearing Protection Act, an important bill that gives gun owners and sportsmen the opportunity to better protect their ears and hearing.

View Related Articles
    “Many gun owners and sportsmen suffer severe hearing loss after years of shooting, and yet the tool necessary to reduce such loss is onerously regulated and taxed. It doesn’t make any sense,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA. “The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act would allow people easier access to suppressors, which would help them to better protect their hearing.”

The Hearing Protection Act, H.R. 367, would remove suppressors from regulation under the National Firearms Act, replacing the federal transfer process with a National Instant Criminal Background Check. The bill would reduce the cost of purchasing a suppressor by removing the $200 transfer tax.

Suppressors are often mischaracterized in Hollywood. They do not “silence” the sound of a firearm. Instead, they act as mufflers and can reduce the noise of a gunshot to hearing safe levels. Not only do suppressors reduce hearing damage for the shooter, they reduce the noise of ranges located near residential areas.

H.R. 367 would make it easier for gun owners and sportsmen to purchase suppressors in the 42 states where they are currently legal. Purchasers would have to pass a background check to buy them, and prohibited people would be denied.

“Gun owners and sportsmen should be able to practice their sport with the tools necessary to do so safely. This bill makes it easier for them to do that,” concluded Cox.
    Sample form letter(courtesy from arfcom)

Representative _________,

I am contacting you to urge your support of H.R. 367, The Hearing Protection Act of 2017. This bill was just introduced so you may not have heard about it. The purpose of the bill is to make it easier for hunters and other firearm owners to purchase sound suppressors for their firearms.

Firearm sound suppressors are currently legal to possess in 42 states and legal for hunting in 40 states. Suppressors reduce the report of a firearm by approximately 20% so they are by no means "silencers" but they reduce the sound to a level that results in less damage to the shooter's hearing. Hearing loss is extremely common among gun owners and it is one of the most common service-connected disabilities among military veterans.

Why should gun owners suffer from substantial hearing loss when there is a commercially-available solution to the root cause? Current regulations add a $200 federal tax on top of the cost of the suppressor, making them unaffordable for many gun owners. Furthermore, current law requires a complicated registration process that takes upwards of 8 months and this works as a barrier to ownership for most gun owners.
    I respectfully request that you take a look at this proposed bill and I'm sure you'll see the logic in supporting its passage with your vote when it reaches the Senate.

Thank you for your service to the state of _____________.

Kindly and respectfully,
    John Smith

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [UPDATE]
    The house bill is now on POP VOX. For those not familiar with pop vox, it's a handy tool for bills in congress. You sign up an account, it locates the reps/senators in your district after you input your info. Then you can weigh in on whatever issues you reply to. Then after you complete your response it will email the appropriate congressmen.

Please follow the link and write your reps on why you support the HPA.

[Update]

Senate bill S.59 just went live on congress' website. Contact our senators and get them to cosponsor!! https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-.../59/cosponsors

You can weigh in on it through vox at this POP VOX link.

[Update]

Senator contact info

Casey: office (202) 224-6324 fax: (202) 228-0604
    Toomey: office (202) 224-4254 Allentown office: (610) 434-1444 fax: (610) 434-1844 Philly office: (215) 241-1090 fax: (215) 241-1095
    https://www.senate.gov/senators/cont...m.cfm?State=PA

[Update]

So I haven't updated this in awhile as not much happened till recently. The past week big things have happened. First to catch people up to speed, in June the HPA was attached to the HR 3668 known as the SHARE ACT. This pro gun/hunting bill propels eases on hunting, importation of guns and ammo, and some other good things. One of the big benefits besides the easing of import restrictions is the fact the HPA has been rolled into the bill. This is a big pro gun bill on the federal level.

As of last week the bill was held for a vote in committee and passed by a good margin. As of this week, it has been assigned to the union calendar for a vote in the house. Now this isn't a guarantee it will come up for a vote but it could. As of right now this is the furtherst the HPA has made it through congress since first introduced in 2015.

Hammer your reps on this! It's also a good idea to remind our senators to vote yes on SHARE! Toomey could possibly swayed, I have no faith in Casey.

It's worth noting that a former SAC at the ATF gave testimony at last weeks committee hearing and blantantly lied about suppressors. There's a clear conflict of interest on his part due to him being tied to shotspotter. An astute ARFCOMer discovered this and has a good write up on him.. What you're not hearing on the HPA/Share ACT.

This has been a big update but I will update the popvox links shortly so you can use that to write your emails but in the meantime you can always use the contact info above for calling/writing our reps and senators.
    Last edited by Wildbill990; September 20th, 2017 at 12:09 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Hearing Protection Act reintroduced for 2017

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Delaware County)

Default Hearing Protection act introduced to Congress...

The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act was delivered by GOP sponsors U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina and Rep. John Carter of Texas and aims to deregulate suppressors as a safety measure to help promote their use in protecting hearing.

Since 1934, the federal government has treated devices designed to muffle or suppress the report of firearms as Title II devices that required registration under the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record and mandated transfers that included a $200 tax stamp. The Duncan-Carter bill would repeal this requirement and treat suppressors as firearms– which would allow them to be transferred through any regular federal firearms license holders to anyone not prohibited from possessing them after the buyer passes an FBI instant background check

Not a bad start to the year...

http://www.guns.com/2017/01/10/heari...-new-congress/

Default Re: Hearing Protection act introduced to Congress...

Can't wait to see/hear all the fake news from the left about this one.

I know what they'll do, pass the bill with one stipulation,
    the cans cant be lower than a certain decibel.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I know what they'll do, pass the bill with one stipulation,
    the cans cant be lower than a certain decibel.
    Which is absolutely stupid. Different meters will register a sound within a few dB of each other, not to mention as well that meter placement can change the reading as well.

(Washington County)

Couldn't they just be banned on the State/local level even if they are pulled from that BS list from the federal level?
    If the Internet says it, then it must be true.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    Couldn't they just be banned on the State/local level even if they are pulled from that BS list from the federal level?
    Pretty much... yep. And here in PA that would a) be a violation of our state constitution and b) if local, a violation of pre-emption too. Neither much matters so long as we retain a completely effete state supreme court.

The irony is I could even see some localities -requiring- it for "noise control" purposes, which is still effectively a way to suppress (pun intended) gun rights. Wouldn't you just love to get busted for not having a suppressor on your non-threaded firearm?
    DGAF

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Pretty much... yep. And here in PA that would a) be a violation of our state constitution and b) if local, a violation of pre-emption too. Neither much matters so long as we retain a completely effete state supreme court.

The irony is I could even see some localities -requiring- it for "noise control" purposes, which is still effectively a way to suppress (pun intended) gun rights. Wouldn't you just love to get busted for not having a suppressor on your non-threaded firearm?

luckily I'm not worried about the Local Gov. Im more worried about the state level. I'm pretty sure wolf Is just scared to even say the word Gun, suppressor, ect.
    If the Internet says it, then it must be true.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    luckily I'm not worried about the Local Gov. Im more worried about the state level. I'm pretty sure wolf Is just scared to even say the word Gun, suppressor, ect.
    I'm not worried about local either... but them poor suckas down in Philly & Burbs sure should be.
    DGAF

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast