Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Looking for opinions on new Ithaca 37

I found a good deal on an Ithaca 37 "home defense" 12-gauge, but I've never had any experience with Ithaca. Does anyone own one of their newer models? Any advantages/disadvantages compared to similar Remington or Mossberg offerings?

Also, will an 18" cylinder bore work for casual clay shooting? This won't be the primary purpose.

Any insights you may have would be appreciated.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Looking for opinions on new Ithaca 37

Sounds like this "new" Ithaca is going the extra mile to make an even better shotgun than the original Model 37. I owned an original model 37 in the early 80's and it's performance and build quality were very good. The receiver is a machined block of steel. For today's generation it be too heavy but the gun will last a life time. Now this new company is using computer and CNC to make the fit and finish even better. They are entirely made in the USA. If you can get one of these at a good price I would do it. That's my opinion, I've been using shotguns for about 40 years. Stay away from Turkish built SG's they use camel butts in their manufacturing process.
    http://www.ithacagun.com/ourprocess.php
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

I love the Model 37. I don't know much about the new Ithaca's except the mag tube isn't connected to the barrel like the original models were.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I love the Model 37. I don't know much about the new Ithaca's except the mag tube isn't connected to the barrel like the original models were.
    It looks like the mag tube on this model is connected.

The one I'm looking at is the 5-shot synthetic version shown here:
    http://www.ithacagun.com/defense37s.php

I am privileged to own 2,a model 37 from the 60s with 2 barrels, trap ribbed and smooth hunting barrel. It also has a custom stock and hand guard set someone had put on the thing decades ago. Luckily its for a big guy, and I love it. The other is a 70-early 80's model 37 deer slayer. with full rifled barrel.
    Both are awesome guns and if you are a lefty they have the switch over safety. The gun loads and ejects from the bottom, so shells in your face is not an issue.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Sounds like this "new" Ithaca is going the extra mile to make an even better shotgun than the original Model 37. I owned an original model 37 in the early 80's and it's performance and build quality were very good. The receiver is a machined block of steel. For today's generation it be too heavy but the gun will last a life time. Now this new company is using computer and CNC to make the fit and finish even better. They are entirely made in the USA. If you can get one of these at a good price I would do it. That's my opinion, I've been using shotguns for about 40 years. Stay away from Turkish built SG's they use camel butts in their manufacturing process.
    http://www.ithacagun.com/ourprocess.php
    Yea the steel receiver is actually a plus in my book. I've been looking into Ithacas since Remington QC seems to be hit-or-miss from what I've read, and I think the Mossbergs are aluminum.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I am privileged to own 2,a model 37 from the 60s with 2 barrels, trap ribbed and smooth hunting barrel. It also has a custom stock and hand guard set someone had put on the thing decades ago. Luckily its for a big guy, and I love it. The other is a 70-early 80's model 37 deer slayer. with full rifled barrel.
    Both are awesome guns and if you are a lefty they have the switch over safety. The gun loads and ejects from the bottom, so shells in your face is not an issue.

I've heard only good things about older Ithacas. But I've heard that the company has moved around a few times, and I want to make sure the new ones are of the same quality.

(Allegheny County)

I custom ordered an Ithaca 37 12ga upland combo (28" smoothbore vent rib + 24" rifled barrel) straight from the factory in 2014 (custom LOP, AAA grade wood, hand enhanced engraving). I paid... a lot for it. It is my most expensive shotgun, more expensive than my Benelli SBE II, though the stock Ithaca can be had for much less. The 2014 date would make it still from the most recent incarnation of the company.

I had a couple of issues at first. It had issues feeding from the mag, and I later discovered a hairline crack in the stock. Ithaca was very friendly, and prompt in fixing the gun.

Pros over the Remington and Mossberg competition? Quality, probably would be it (notwithstanding the initial issues I've had). The pump is the smoothest that I've felt, even comparing an out of the box gun to a broken in Remington or Mossberg equivalent. The bottom eject is friendly for shooters to your side, and makes it easy to pick up hulls. It's a well balanced, nice swinging gun. The barrel attaches to the receiver with a quarter turn thread instead of using a slip in barrel, which is probably what helps its accuracy when you stick the slug barrel on it. The engraving is very nice, as is the bluing. Did I mention the pump is really, really smooth? I've not felt a smoother pump.

Cons? Price, of course... You can get a mid tier semi auto shotgun for the price of a stock Ithaca 37. It can be a tricky gun to detail strip, and I would not recommend doing so unless you absolutely must (as does the manual, which I had disregarded). The downwards eject can make single loading hard (but contrary to popular belief, not impossible). The new Ithaca 37 is also not as light as the old ones, because they now have 3" chambers, threaded chokes, and different type of wood. If you go by manufacturer numbers, it's about on par with an 870 Wingmaster in weight. If you're looking for extended magazine tubes, look away from the Ithaca. The barrel snugs up onto the magazine cap, preventing you from adding an extended tube without a lot of work (you'll need both a new barrel and a new tube). It's a pretty looking shotgun, so if you plan on hunting with it, make sure you're OK with getting it dinged up in the field.

If you look around in this forum, you can find a thread I started a long time ago sharing a couple of pictures of the gun.

I love my Ithaca 37, and would certainly consider (and have considered) buying another one. Really, once you feel how smooth that pump is, you'll never go back to a Mossberg ever again.
    Last edited by TooBigToFit; April 9th, 2017 at 02:41 PM.